The Sixers would actually not mind losing tonight

Essentials

Spread: Pistons -7.5

Over/under: 183.5

Score: Pistons win,95.5-88

Read about the Sixers

Philadunkia

Playing for something

Tonight’s game isn’t just two teams playing out the season. Modest playoff seeding is still at stake for Philly, as Ball Don’t Lie’s Dan Devine explains:

A Knicks win over the Bobcats would lock them into the No. 7 seed and a date with the Heat no matter what Philly does, as New York won the season series between the two teams; a Sixers loss to Detroit would do the same, guaranteeing Doug Collins’ crew a trip to Chicago. The combination of a Philadelphia win and a New York loss, though, would invert matters, pitting the 76ers against the Heat and the Knicks against the Bulls when the playoffs begin.

As you might have guessed, the Sixers would rather face the Bulls in the first round, hence them resting Andre Iguodala, Elton Brand, Thaddeus Young and possibly Jrue Holiday tonight.

• Apr 26, 20126:13 pm
    by MrBlockedShot

Ok guys, let’s finish this unforgetable season and keep your fingers crossed for the lottery day…

• Apr 26, 20126:58 pm
    by frankie d

funny, just about every other team in the league has no problem with strategically resting or sitting players for strategic reasons.
    its only the pistons – and maybe a few others, though i don’t know who they are – who get self-righteous about “tanking” games by resting guys.
    is there any doubt as to why the team is in its current mess?

• Apr 26, 20127:35 pm
    by Reaction

No offense but the Pistons seriously screwed up/lowered their chances of good lottery day by winning those 2 last wins… Had they lost they could have potentially been in the top 5 for the lottery in a loaded lottery

• Apr 26, 20129:03 pm

Given that it looks like the Pistons have this in the bag, I’ll have to be rooting for San Antonio. It would be a real shame if Golden State won their last game and the Pistons squandered it by not getting the tied record.

• Apr 26, 201210:27 pm
      by gmehl

I actually think it would be a bigger shame if they tanked Big Ben’s last pro game…that is if it is his last game.

• Apr 27, 20126:50 am

Could be, but unlike Patrick, I don’t have a major emotional attachment to the Ben Wallace of today. I don’t put any special significance on his last game either. That significance goes to the games he played in his prime when the Pistons were contending. This is just another game in a lost season that may happen to be his last. Well if his memories are strongly tinted by his last game (or fans’ memories of him are), that’s just a shame because this game was never going to be anything more than mediocre.

• Apr 27, 20129:41 pm
          by gmehl

Your words just show what a class act you are not tasier. I like you also want a better draft pick but not trying to win Ben’s last game would of showed how much the players on the team don’t care about each other. In essence that would of shown that they are not a team and don’t give shit about each other. Your comments on pistonpowered are always filled with fancy words trying to sound smart but you always end up sounding ignorant by saying things like last nights game didn’t matter or wasn’t significant. Big Ben will be missed next season and the way the cap situation is looking you might get your wish of a top 3 pick next season cause we are going to get murdered even more on the inside.

• Apr 27, 20129:44 pm
            by gmehl

Oh and i have an emotional attachment to Big Ben as well and i am not afraid to admit it. How could you not…the guy epitomizes everything the pistons stand for.

• Apr 28, 20121:29 am

It’s certainly true that I care more about results than about class. Maybe that makes me a bad person–I don’t see it that way–but so be it. I would not be in the least bit ashamed to admit it if I did have an emotional attachment to Ben Wallace. And I certainly had no intent of disparaging those who do. If you took it that way, I apologize. Also, I’ll take your jab at my rhetoric as a compliment. I make no effort to sound smart, I write the way I talk, which is natural for me. And I was unaware that I was using fancy words. But I am glad to hear that even someone who is clearly not too fond of me or what I have to say still can’t help thinking that I sound intelligent.

As to answering your points, I never said last night’s game didn’t matter or wasn’t significant in any ultimate sense, just that it wasn’t to me. Surely you are not accusing me of being ignorant when I say “my opinion is ____”? I am most definitely not wrong, that is my opinion just as I said it was. When I state absolute facts, I include no such disclaimers. For me, Big Ben was missed this season. The man playing was a shell of his former self. Also, I am very skeptical on the top 3 pick next season. I expect the Pistons to improve from this year. But even if they don’t, they would need some lottery luck to pull that off. As to my rationale for not putting special significance on Wallace’s last game, that’s just my personality. I don’t particularly care about birthdays, they’re just some more days. I don’t care about taking the first or last slice of a pizza or cookie from a box or whatever, it’s just another slice/cookie/whatever. And Ben Wallace has played hundreds of games for the Pistons. I valued last nights nominally the same as all the rest. Some get a bonus for being particularly significant (playoffs, elite matchup, etc.) Last night’s gets a bump down because it was particularly insignificant (in that the Pistons winning or losing would have had no bearing on either draft position or playoff implications for the Pistons).

Finally, and this may seem nitpicky and condescending but it’s just a pet peeve of mine, I’d like to beg you to think about what you are writing when you type out “would of.” What do you suppose that means? You do know what the words “would” and “of” mean, don’t you? Hopefully you can see how “would of” makes no grammatical sense whatsoever. What you actually mean is “would have,” which is contracted to “would’ve.” You only write “would of” because it sounds similar to “would’ve” and you haven’t bothered to stop and think about the meanings/usages of your words (and because you’ve seen other similarly careless people do the same). It would be akin to if I meant “the horses moved at a canter” but wrote “the whore’s sis move data can’t her” which is, like “would of,” totally meaningless. I don’t pick on typos. I make plenty myself. But this is a comprehension error that is painful to read.