Derrick Rose says Charlie Villanueva’s foul was a ‘cheap shot’

From K.C. Johnson of The Chicago Tribune:

One call Rose did get came with 4:31 left in regulation. Villanueva whacked Rose as he drove on a fast break, getting some ball, arms and cutting Rose’s face. Villanueva compounded his mistake with a technical foul for a four-point Bulls possession.

He and Rose exchanged words as he left to get his cut addressed.

“I’m sick and tired of people trying to take cheap shots at me,” Rose said. “I was mad, man. I’m a man, so situations like that, you have to say something. He hit me in the face and didn’t even aim for the ball.”

Thibodeau lobbied for a flagrant-two foul and ejection.

That’s crazy. Villanueva fouled Rose hard to stop him from making a layup. He made a play on the ball and, unfortunately, as sometimes happens on plays like that, Rose took an inadvertent shot to the face. I was shocked it was even a flagrant one, to be honest. I’m not sure it would’ve been if the player being fouled wasn’t Rose.

• Apr 16, 201211:22 am
    by D_S_V

Looked like a “hard but fair” kinda foul to me – just unfortunate that Rose caught so much of it in the face. It was funny how irritated Blaha was with the call and how much he voiced his disagreement – these last few seasons must be getting to him. I was surprised by that quote by Rose though, but I guess if I took that kind of beating throughout the season I’d probably be pretty defensive too.

• Apr 16, 201211:29 am

Yeah, I don’t doubt he’s frustrated with hard fouls. But unless he changes his game, he’ll just have to get used to it. When you barrel to the basket and create contact on every play, you’re going to get hammered a lot and probably have all kinds of nagging injuries. We’ve seen it with Stuckey this season. He plays very similar style-wise to Rose, takes tons of hard shots and has a lot of injuries as a result.

• Apr 16, 20123:30 pm
        by Chris H

I’ll go one up and look at Dwayne Wade.  He is bigger than both of them and tosses his body all over the place looking for contact.  Aside from his first few years in the league I don’t remember him playing a full 82 games without something holding him out.

• Apr 19, 20126:36 pm
          by aquaadverse

Since 2007-2008 Wade’s played 79, 77 and 76 games. St. Derrick is running into his first period of difficulty under heavy expectations in his NBA career and isn’t liking it. It’s one thing being ROY on a .500 team and MVP in a season where there are little to no expectations for your rookie coach and Miami drawing all the attention., quite another as a target-on-the-back top tier measuring stick.

• Apr 16, 201211:45 am
    by D. Stewart

I thought Kelser’s comment on this was strange.  He said he thought the flagrant foul was “justified” but not “intentional.”  I’ve always understood the rule to be … a foul cannot be flagrant unless it is intentional.  Strange “give and take” between Kelser and Blaha.  The replay clearly showed that CV was targeting the ball, not Rose.  Rose is a smallish guard (by NBA standards) and should (I would think) realize that his aggressive play and constant trips down the lane bring contact.  His job is to get to the hoop.  CV’s job is to stop him.  Pretty cut and dried really.  Knock off the “preferential treatment” for superstars.  Call the personal foul, wipe up the blood and get on with the game.  Can you say “Laimbeer and Mahorn”?

• Apr 16, 201212:56 pm
      by Jeremy

Exactly my thoughts when reading about this earlier today. If he is crying about a foul like that, he would have never made it in the NBA in the 80s-early 90s. In my personal opinion, this team needs more people willing to play that physical brand of defense and willing to give a hard foul every once in a while on the other team’s opposing players. Yes, I understand that the Commish has made far strides in improving the offensive flow and point production of the game by limiting good, hard, imposing defense (anyone find it coincidental that the league changed its defensive rules after both championship runs in the 80s and 04?). I’m just saying that if I ran this team, you could expect it to be built on the model of defense that was played by the organization’s teams in the 80s and 2004. I would still bet that Laimbeer and Mahorn would be willing to lay player like Lebron or Wade out on their way to the basket…just saying…

• Apr 16, 201212:56 pm
    by John V

Rose has turned to be a bit whiney compared to other all-stars this season

• Apr 16, 20121:14 pm
    by Coach_Ackley

This is basketball and a good hard foul by CV31 on Rose it was nothing personal but if Rose wants to cry about the foul then he can always go play Tennis cuz we don’t need another Lebron cry to the ref’s and getting all the calls they want…….

• Apr 16, 20122:12 pm
    by Rodman4Life

CV just got two bonus points in my book.  Detroit and Chicago are considered two “tough” cities in this league, but their stars always seem to bitch about contact.  Whatever!

• Apr 16, 20124:59 pm
    by oats

I thought any shot to the head was a flagrant, no matter what caused it. I know I’ve heard several announcers say so. Point four in the rulebook says that the potential for injury is taken into account when assessing severity of flagrant fouls, and specifically lists blows to the head. I know when I read the whole definition of the rules, it just says unnecessary contact, which is not exactly a good definition of anything really. It also looks like the blows to the head line is regarding the determination of whether it is flagrant 1 or 2, and not just a foul or a flagrant foul. Still, I know I’ve heard announcers say any contact to the head, even incidental contact on a legitimate basketball play, would be deemed unnecessary due to the risk of injury involved. I believe that was one of the points of emphasis for refs from the league this year. I admit I may be thinking of a college game, but I am fairly certain they are calling it that way in both college and the NBA.

• Apr 16, 20126:23 pm
      by Coach_Ackley

oats – It’s because he is one of the so called “Superstars” in the NBA.. Players get hit in the head all game long when they drive the lane I could all day on how many times Stuck gets hit and because it waa Rose it was called had it happened to Stuck, BK, Moose or someone else they would have not got that call in their favor… 9 out of 10 times players like LBJ, Wade, Rose, Melo, KD, D12 and other “Superstars” will get that call and it’s bogus.. If your gonna make the call make it for both sides… The NBA is turning into a cry baby leauge and it’s bullcrap……

• Apr 16, 20126:26 pm

tons of players take hits to the head without getting flagrant calls. I would believe this claim if the initial contact was to the head and certainly if it looked like the intended contact was to the head. but when you get ball or arm and then momentum carries the players into head contact, that is very rarely a flagrant call.

• Apr 17, 20121:44 am
        by oats

Well, it also says the severity of the contact and severity of the injury are also a part of the decision making process. The contact was pretty solid, and Rose did end up bleeding. I have a hard time calling this one just a superstar call. It was a hard foul involving a blow to the head and blood… If they thought there was any intent to injure, then CV would have gotten a flagrant 2 and been ejected. The fact that it was a basketball play keeps it from being worse. This play is exactly why the rule is so vague, a more defined rule would be too hard to enforce consistently. The fact that other times it would just be called a foul really isn’t relevant because this rule is so subjective. The rule basically says that a foul is a flagrant foul if they say it is. If I was calling the game I’d let it stay as just a foul, but I definitely have no problem with the flagrant call on this play.

• Apr 16, 20126:31 pm

I was personally delighted. It meant the Pistons lost the game on account of a bad call. That’s a moral victory and a ping pong victory in my books.

• Apr 16, 20128:17 pm
    by Jodi Jezz

lol, good job Charlie V…Somebody give D. Rose his baby bottle…

• Apr 16, 20129:23 pm
    by Desolation Row

Full disclosure: I did not watch the game. But, any time there is a dispute between CV and Derrick Rose, I’m taking Rose’s side. CV is such a joke.

• Apr 16, 20129:36 pm

Wow, how to lose all credibility instantly…
      “I didn’t see the incident in question but I don’t like one of the persons involved so he must be wrong”

• Apr 17, 20123:48 am
    by Stuckey and whoever

Blake Griffin Elbowed Gasal to the Throat, then dunked it.  It was considered a great play, I was like, is this prision rules???

• Apr 17, 20128:52 am
    by Rodman4Life

Hey, if the flagrant rules have changed, so be it.  I don’t have a problem with the league protecting its players.  I have a problem with said protected players “WHINING” about a call he DID GET afterwards.  Especially in Detroit, even if we aren’t the Bad Boys anymore.  I thought it was common knowledge that in any sport in this town, as an opposing team, you know you may get tapped from time to time.  That’s just how we say hello around here!

• Apr 17, 20122:05 pm
    by tomasina

in response to Stuckey et al: i work in a prison and the guys there watching the game just laughed and hooted “Boo Hoo, punk”. says it all.

• Apr 17, 20122:16 pm