Pistons were in play for Chris Kaman and JaVale McGee at NBA trade deadline

Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:

#Pistons were in play for Chris Kaman and JaVale McGee…moreso Kaman at the deadline

Would’ve been able to unload one of their big contracts to acquire Kaman as well… #Pistons

Please, please don’t get too worked up about this. These tweets leave many questions unanswered – very important questions.

I’m glad to hear the Pistons were talking to teams about acquiring Chris Kaman and JaVale McGee. Both players – because of their ability, contracts and size – would have presented significant value to the Pistons.

But at what cost? Without knowing that, there’s nothing really to evaluate here.

I can’t see any way the Pistons could have traded Ben Gordon or Charlie Villanueva for Chris Kaman without providing the Hornets more – either by taking back a bad contract or sending a valuable player or draft pick to New Orleans. And I can’t see how the Pistons could have put together a better package for McGee than the one the Wizards received without including Greg Monroe or a first-round pick.

Also, we have no idea how large the gap is between “in play for” and “close to trading for.”

• Mar 16, 20124:16 pm
    by Steve K

Yeah, the tweet makes it sound like Gordon for Kaman was “in play”.

Yeah, right.

• Mar 16, 20124:25 pm
    by Mark

My guess is the deal offered to Joe was Kaman for Gordon and our #1 pick. Which he wisely declined.

Gordon is the only contract that matches, and if that was all they wanted, the deal wouldve been done. They had to have asked for the pick too. Otherwise it would make no sense for Joe to turn it down, when we all know he is looking for capspace.

As for McGee, likely same scenario, because the only thing we have to offer better than Nene, aside from our untouchable players, is that pick.

I was 50-50 on trading the pick for McGee. One one hand, he provides what we’d be looking for with that pick anyways, so you get what you need without the pick. On the other hand, he’s a FA, so why not keep the pick and just go after him in FA?

And thats the best news of this tweet, is that we now know Joe is interested in McGee, which means I expect us to go after him in FA this summer. We can amnesty Gordon and get enough capspace to make McGee an attractive offer.

• Mar 16, 20124:33 pm
      by oats

He’s restricted. After this trade, I feel like it’s safe to say Detroit can’t free up enough cap space for Denver not to match it. They’d probably be willing to match all the way up to the $14 million McGee thinks he is worth after moving Nene to get him.

• Mar 16, 20124:39 pm
        by Alan

• Mar 16, 20124:46 pm
          by Chris H

True, but why not make a run at him and make it expensive for Denver to retain his services.  I’m not sure I’d really want McGee on my team, but I’d love to let someone else overpay for him.  It’s one more team with less money to throw at other FAs in the future.

• Mar 16, 20125:28 pm
            by oats

So that’s amnesty Gordon, which is an awful lot of money, to make an offer on a guy we aren’t getting anyways? Right now CV looks like the smarter amnesty, but doing so doesn’t give us enough room to jack up the price on Denver. After spending all that money on Gordon, Denver can sit on the decision to match the offer for a couple days just to tie up Detroit’s cap space in an offer that won’t net them a player while players Detroit might be interested in sign elsewhere. Oh, and CV is still on the team. No thanks. I’d rather dump CV, keep the cap space for in season flexibility or add someone decent for $5 million or so if they can be had at that price, and look forward to the asset that will be Ben Gordon’s expiring contract. Atcually, holding on to CV so we have him and BG expiring at the same time also makes quite a bit of sense to me, and also sounds better than making a failed run at McGee.

• Mar 16, 20124:40 pm
    by Daye and Knight

Not trying to get off topic but Terrance Williams was just released from the Rockets earlier…I would LOVE it if we at least gave him an offer, he’s athletic and young and a SF something we really need

Prince is doing well which is why we might not make a play for him but IMO Williams>Prince long term

• Mar 16, 20124:46 pm

I liked Williams in college, but man are his pro numbers ugly … 39 percent career shooter. Given up on by two franchises. I dunno … maybe I’d take a flier on a 10 day contract, but I don’t have much long-term hope that he’d pan out.

• Mar 16, 20124:50 pm
        by Daye and Knight

True. I loved him in college maybe that’s why I still have hope for him. Plus I remember when the Nets sent him to the D league he posted a triple double his first game and was brought back immediately. Unfortunately he hasn’t done anything noticeable ever since. Hopefully he pans out cause I think he has the skills to be a good player. A 10 day contract would be wise and hopefully we at least give him 10 days to prove himself.

• Mar 16, 20124:59 pm

I always thought he’d turn into at the very least a good perimeter defender in the NBA. I remember those D-League stats too. Haha.

• Mar 16, 20124:53 pm
        by Chris H

I don’t see why we shouldn’t grab him and play him, macklin, bynum, and Charlie V some major minutes in hopes of getting something for them in the off season, as well as resting some of our players because it was a stressful year on their bodies. I realize that we’d have to put together some lineups that will feature the strong points of these players, but really what do we have to  lose here?

That being said, how do ten day contracts work with trying to resign in the off season.  Any sort of restrictions that a player might have, or incentive for the player on the 10 day contract to sign with their former team?

• Mar 16, 20125:02 pm

Eh, it the Pistons were going to use that open roster spot to audition someone for a 10-day, I’d rather see them audition a D-League big man. Williams came into the league with talent, but he’s also been around a few years now. I’d rather take a look at an unknown prospect, to be honest, if they were going to go that route.

And I don’t think there are any restrictions or incentives on 10 day players in the offseason, but Dan Feldman can probably chime in if I’m wrong on that.

• Mar 16, 20125:01 pm
    by Daye and Knight

Hornets counter offered our deal and tried getting and an unprotected for Landry…we offered Gordon and a future first round pick for Kamen…Stern is the most annoying guy on the planet, it’s no wonder the Hornets suck

• Mar 16, 20125:02 pm
      by Daye and Knight

*unprotected and Maxiell for Carl Landry

• Mar 17, 201212:43 pm
    by frankie d

terrance williams is another of those “seattle guards” that teams have problems with.
    the list is long: jason terry, aaron brooks, nate robinson, isaiah thomas, jamal crawford, brandon roy,  rodney stuckey, even marvin williams might fit into the category on some level.
    talented, multi-dimensional guards – sometimes G/Fs – who can’t be slotted into a specific position.
    williams is another one of those guys.
    he’s a shooting guard, but he has some point guard skills.  NJ even played him at the point at times.
    weird how one city produces a “type” of player so often, but it’s happened in seattle.
    tony wroten and terrance ross are going to be the next two guys who fit that mold.
    williams is exactly the kind of player who should be filling out the last roster spots on detroit.
    williams or damien wilkins?
    the answer to that is obvious.

• Mar 17, 20123:17 pm
    by frankie d

the most interesting aspect of the mcgee trade is that george karl was willing to take a chance on him.  karl is old school, one of the most no-nonsense coaches out there.
    imho, it’s the best kind of coach for mcgee.  it will be interesting to see how he responds to playing for karl.
    my guess is that he will do well.
    of course, there will be a period of adjustment, but i’d bet that he responds well to karl’s defense-first, hardnosed approach.
    i’ve long thought that he is exactly the kind of young player who just needs a strong dose of good coaching to put aside some bad habits and become the kind of consistently fine player we see in small spurts.
    this is going to be one of the more interesting storylines in the league for the rest of the season.

• Mar 18, 20129:08 pm
      by apa8ren9

I 100 percent agree with the coaching aspect.  I wont go so far as saying McGee will become consistent.  I think that will take another 2 years if at all for that to happen. His BBall IQ was just so astoundingly low that something has to be wrong.  TNT dedicated an entire segment to clowning him on the court in highlights.  That really takes the cake in my book.  Something has to give and he has to improve.  Good thing is we get to see in a couple of nights how it will look when the Pistons play Denver.  Perfect timing.  I literally cannot wait.