Detroit Pistons #DraftDreams: Andre Drummond

Discuss Draft Dreams on Twitter using the #DraftDreams hashtag

Info

• Measurables: 6-foot-10, 270 pounds, freshman center from UConn
  • Key Stats: 10.0 points, 7.6 rebounds, 2.7 blocks per game, 54 percent shooting
  • Projected: Lottery
  • Hickory High Similarity Score

Why I like this guy

Yeah, I know, Andre Drummond said earlier in the season that he was leaning towards staying at UConn another season. But Greg Monroe once said that he planned to stay at Georgetown rather than enter the NBA Draft, yet somehow, he ended up playing for the Pistons instead of playing his junior season in college, so maybe the Pistons will have a similar stroke of luck and add another Big East big man.

The merits of Drummond are obvious. He’s big, athletic and blocks shots — nearly three per game in about 28 minutes a night. The Pistons have a notable deficiency in guys who are big, athletic and block shots (you may have noticed). But with those skills, Drummond is also incredibly raw, which is why he’s listed anywhere from two to six in most mock drafts, including Chad Ford’s recent one that had the Pistons landing Drummond at the six spot. After getting perhaps the best player in the 2010 draft in Monroe in the second half of the lottery and landing Brandon Knight later in last year’s lottery than most predicted he’d go, picking up a prospect of Drummond’s caliber at No. 6 would be another steal for Joe Dumars.

Pros for the Pistons

I don’t agree with this line of thinking, but there is a segment among Pistons fans that firmly believes Monroe needs to play power forward while being paired with a big center. Personally, the Pistons just need to add talent to their frontcourt, regardless of whether that talent is technically a power forward or a center. Fortunately for fans clamoring for a center, though, Drummond happens to be huge AND also has the shot-blocking/above the rim capabilities that the Pistons need.

Drummond finishes well around the basket on offense, he’s a good offensive rebounder, he can move without the ball and, on defense, he swats a high percentage of shots. All of those are things on the checklist for what the Pistons would like to add next to Monroe. With Drummond, there’s also the added bonus of him already being a little bit bigger than Monroe. Potentially, if he gets stronger and improves defensively (he’s already pretty solid on D) to the point where he can handle guarding opposing teams’ best big man, Monroe’s defensive problems become less of an issue (although he certainly needs to keep working on improving at that end of the court).

The Pistons, like every team in the lottery, are dreaming of Anthony Davis. But short of getting Davis, Drummond would be a pretty nice consolation prize.

Cons for the Pistons

Drummond didn’t have the dominant season many predicted for him as a heralded prep prospect. He was inconsistent for a UConn team that fell below expectations. This quote by Drummond about Seton Hall center Herb Pope, himself a pretty good player, is funny but also might give an indication as to why Drummond and another elite freshman big man prospect, Anthony Davis, didn’t make close to the same impact on their respective programs this season:

Seton Hall senior Herb Pope averages 18.6 points and 10.9 rebounds, he has eight double-doubles and he is a leading candidate for first-team all-Big East.

All those accomplishments, however, apparently weren’t enough to make a future Big East opponent aware of him.

On the eve of Connecticut’s matchup with improving Seton Hall on Tuesday night, Huskies freshman center Andre Drummond admitted to local reporters he didn’t know much about Pope.

“I don’t even know who that is,” Drummond said. “I’m not trying to be disrespectful. They said the name to me in practice and I was like ‘Wait, who’s Herb Pope?’”

“I haven’t watched Seton Hall so I wouldn’t know who’s on their team or anything like that.”

Drummond is young and that comment is more humorous to me than anything, but any team that drafts him will have to most likely wait for him to mature a bit before he’s a reliable, consistent contributor. He also needs to improve his dreadful free throw shooting (29 percent this season) as NBA teams will definitely exploit that weakness and send him to the line if he doesn’t. Drummond is physically imposing and athletic enough to be a dominant rebounder. He also occasionally struggles if he holds the ball too long — his seven turnover game vs. Rutgers was a good example of that. Despite his imposing size, Drummond is also hesitant at times to mix it up and play physically. That would be an issue for the Pistons considering that same thing can be said about Monroe, particularly on defense. The Pistons have a glaring need for more toughness up front, and that’s something Drummond is still developing.

None of his weaknesses should prevent a team from betting on his upside, he just has some work to do if he’s going to be an immediate impact player as a pro.

What others are saying

Chad Ford:

The Good: God gave Andre Drummond the body of an NBA big man. He’s big, quick off his feet and moves incredibly well for his size. When he wants to be, he can be a dominant player on both ends of the floor. He can be an awesome finisher around the basket. He can be a dominant shot-blocker and rebounder.

The Bad: Drummond doesn’t always act like he wants to be a dominant player on either end. He can disappear for long stretches. He can shy away from the rough-and-tumble physical play in the paint. In short, he’s maddeningly inconsistent.

The Upside: Drummond reminds me a lot of another potentially elite prospect, Derrick Favors. If he ever gets it together and shows a passion for the game, he could be the best player in the entire draft. But there are serious questions about whether he’ll ever get there. He could get an NBA GM fired, too.

DraftExpress:

Whoever drafts him would surely be well-served hiring an experienced big man coach who can work with him on a daily basis and help him learn how to play with more toughness, confidence and aggressiveness. Such attention should help him a great deal, as he clearly has far more potential as a back to the basket threat than he was able to show this season.

NBADraft.net:

Man child. A physical specimen type of athlete with a huge wingspan, long legs and strength and agility at a young age … He’s already a beast inside the paint with his rebounding and shot blocking ability and shows the toughness and tenacity to be a dominant inside player … Shows a natural feel for the game with good timing on shot blocks and explosive leaping ability … Has a huge wingspan (7-feet-plus) … Born in August of 1993, and with size 18 shoes, Drummond could have another growth spurt in him and could end up well over 7-feet … Right hander who shows a solid form on his shot … Right now he scores a lot of points around the basket on ally oops and put backs. He’s also beginning to show some ability to create offense for himself and his post skills show a lot of potential.

Sheridan Hoops:

“He runs the floor as well as any 6-10 you’ll find on any level,” (New York recruiting expert Tom Konchalski) said. “He has terrific athletic ability.”

The Republic:

The good: He has had nine double-doubles (10 or more points and rebounds in a game), which is more than any UConn freshman ever, including Emeka Okafor, who had seven. Drummond broke out in flashes, especially against Syracuse, the best team that UConn has played.

The not-so-good: Drummond, who averaged 10.2 points, has yet to develop the post moves that would make him a consistent scoring threat. The coaches are trying to teach him how to seal off his defender and move to the basket, for instance.

What is the best thing Andre Drummond does for his team?

Kevin Meacham (follow him on Twitter) writes for The UConn Blog, SB Nation’s UConn site:

The best thing Andre Drummond brings to any team right now is his freaky athleticism. He has a ways to go before he’s a well-rounded player, but right now Drummond will give you incredible quickness for a 7-footer and tremendous leaping ability; he also proved to be a very capable Jim Calhoun shot-blocker (that is, he’ll challenge anything near the rim while avoiding fouls and he’s quite good at weak-side help). All of that made Drummond an excellent college big-man defender. There were also times this year where Drummond would stride into a passing lane for a steal at the top of the key, leading to a fast-break dunk, and in those moments, Drummond looked like a seven-foot guard. He’s very much a “toolsy” (to borrow a baseball term) player right this second, but he had flashes that were absolutely breathtaking.

Previously

• Mar 27, 201210:23 am
    by Ryan P.

I watched about 3 minutes of UConn bball this season and Andre Drummond had a monster block and a couple terrifying dunks during that period…that’s not saying a whole lot, but I saw what I saw.

And I liked it.

• Mar 27, 201210:24 am
    by tom

UConn isnt eligible for the tournament next year, which in my mind makes it even more unlikely he stays in school.

• Mar 27, 201210:24 am
    by vic

I think i’ve settled on my most likely and desired picks.

We need shot blocking big, a defensive SF, and a passing pg

(realistic)
    drummond/tony mitchell/sullinger
    melo/ezeli/jaecrowder/scott machado
    scott machado/jeff withey/jesse sanders

I saw in the NCAA stats that Jesse Sanders was third best passing PG after Machado and Kendall Marshall. He’s 6’3, and wages of wins featured him as the next Jeremy Lin – undervalued but potential star.

• Mar 27, 201210:31 am
      by vic

henson is a little to slim to pick over Sullinger… I wasn’t impressed with him against Kansas.

• Mar 27, 201210:40 am

Well, Sullinger is on the short side and doesn’t block shots though. I’d definitely take Henson over him for that reason. Also, remember, Henson was coming back from a late season injury, so he wasn’t 100 percent vs. Kansas yet. I just think a Henson-Monroe frontline has a lot more potential to be good defensively than a Monroe-Sullinger one.

• Mar 27, 201211:32 am
          by vic

i agreed with that before i saw him against Kansas. Hopefully the injury was a factor. But considering that Giorgui Deng/ Jeff withey could be available with pick 3, or Ezeli/Melo with pick 2… i’m leaning toward going for size & skill ahead of skinny athleticism. Having 2 higly skilled post options would be awesome

• Mar 27, 201210:25 am
    by Mel

I agree with you Monroe can play center, he just needs to continue to develop and build up his leg strength and improve his balance. Then he can compete better with the more dominant centers in the league. Moose has all the tools and heart look at Al Jefferson

• Mar 27, 201210:32 am
    by Mel

Yeah , I just looked at the Drummond video, He a beast, that would open Monroe’s game to a whole new level. I like Drummonds instincts to the ball and his quickness,it complements Monroe. I’m on board.

• Mar 27, 201210:48 am
    by Kris

I saw just couple of games, but was generally surprised how passive he can be for long stretches. Now, some of it is probably the system – he was often ignored on the post. Instead he was setting high screens (which is Ok), but not cutting agressively on the pick & roll (which is not). Definitely could be utilized better. But you just couldn’t tell how much of it is poor attitude and how much is the system. Intriguing size, but BIG question marks surrounding. If he’s available, Pistons probably wouldn’t pass. But I’m just concerned what if he’s a bust for a team like Pistons, which needs post presence so desperately .

• Mar 27, 201211:03 am
    by Tiko

I guarantee Joe is gonna love Drummond similarly to how he loved Cousins in 2010 and try to trade up for him only to hold back once again and stay pat and settle for a guy like Henson or Leonard. What can Joe do about it from now? Hmmmmm all I know is that it’s much better to finish between 4-6 than 7-9…

• Mar 27, 201211:50 am
    by Steve K

Regarding Sullinger…
    I think most people here knock the guy down a few pegs because he was overhyped.
    Ignoring his hype, I’m thinking the kid will be a solid pro.

He averaged 18 and 9 against solid Big Ten competition. He also surprisingly shot 42% from 3 (granted, he didn’t shoot it a ton, but still…).

The only real knock I can see on his game — from a Piston fan perspective — is that he may not be the perfect compliment for Monroe. Can he protect the rim? Not like the other candidates. But he can board. And the Pistons need that as desperately as anything else. And he can score, with a wider array of moves than most incoming big men.

• Mar 27, 201212:25 pm
    by Thom

I’m not sure what to think about Drummond, but the biggest red flag for me, honestly, is his free throw shooting. 29% is… that’s just unreal.

• Mar 27, 201212:53 pm

Yeah, I agree, there are certainly some pretty big red flags with him. But if the Pistons are picking in the 5-7 range and he’s there, probably way too much upside to pass on at that point. He’s a tougher sell for me in the 2-4 range.

• May 7, 20128:00 pm
        by Johm

have you talked to Joe? is he going to trade??

• Mar 27, 201212:33 pm
    by Quick Darshan

I agree that the Pistons don’t necessarily need a Center.  They just need an athletic shot blocking big man to pair with Monroe.

-Davis (a PF) is obviously the prize.
    -I haven’t really seen Drummond play, but he sounds like he has the tools.
    -Thomas Robinson is a serious athlete too.  Didn’t like the Defense he played on Zeller though.  Reminds me of Amare
    - Henson I like.  He’s got a decent jumper.  Some okay post moves and if he can bulk up enough is probably second to Davis on my list.

Kidd-Gilchrist is the only non-big I’d consider.

• Mar 27, 20122:07 pm
      by RussellC

If Kidd-Gilchrist is there when they pick I take him even if Drummond is still on the board.

• Mar 27, 201212:52 pm
    by frankie d

every year there is at least one bust taken in the first 10 picks.
    imho, drummond is the guy with the highest bust potential.  would still take him – probably – but i’d do it with my fingers crossed and a rabbit’s foot in my pocket.
    i’d rather have withey than henson.
    can anyone name a player like henson who has been successful?  he reminds me of brandan wright, a guy who is now becoming a useful player, but not one who merited a lottery selection.  as a matter of fact, if you read both profiles at draftexpress, they sound eerily similar.  henson is a little longer, and a little heavier, though wright was a more fluid athlete.  henson reminds me of a shorter manute bol, with his somewhat mechanical movements.
    remember one of the main criticisms about amir…that he has an extremely high center of gravity and that this made it very difficult for him to maintain low post position?  it was a valid criticism.
    well, what about henson’s center of gravity?  i’ve never seen a player with such a high center of gravity, and considering his lack of strength, i think it will be very difficult for him to play effective post defense.
    withy seems to have a bit more strength and he seems to fight, physically, a bit more.    as a big man who will bring a defensive presence, i’d rather have withey.  the added benefit is that you could probably draft him in the early second round.

• Mar 27, 20121:43 pm
      by vic

i agree with you frankied, thats why i’ve moved away from Henson for round 1. if you just want a shotblocker, you could get it in the 2nd round withy/melo/ezeli/deng/aiken….   In the 1st round you have to go for talent, skill, size, and athleticism. In that order, imo. This is also why i take sullinger over robinson. skill lasts longer and translates better.

• Mar 27, 20121:55 pm
        by sebastian

Vic using on your criteria: talent, skill, size, and athleticism, I would pick Perry Jones III and go after the center position in the 2nd round.

• Mar 27, 20125:50 pm
          by vic

oops I must have made a mistake on my criteria! sorry here it is, for real this time:     production, talent, skill, size, athleticism.                 rd 1 Drummond/Tony Mitchell” Jared Sullinger    rd 2 Melo/Ezeli/Crowder/Machado   rd3 Machado/Withey/Jesse Sanders

• Mar 27, 20127:42 pm
      by oats

I’d argue Henson is not that far off from Marcus Camby. Camby was the better scorer in college, but he wasn’t the rebounder Henson is. After his injury Camby lost a lot of his scoring ability, which was largely due to his athleticism. That is what Henson could be if he bulks up, a post injury Camby. Not exactly a star player, but a legitimate starter is totally possible. I don’t like him as a top 10 guy, but I wouldn’t be upset to see him wind up in Detroit anyways. Henson does hit a jump shot once in awhile, so maybe his offense can come around, but I suspect it’s more like how Maxiell sometimes hits jump shots. Withey reminds me a bit of Cole Aldrich. He’s a good gamble in the 2nd round, assuming he goes pro, but he isn’t exactly some super prospect. There are plenty of guys like him that become good, and plenty that are just big stiffs. Withey feels a little like Przybilla, just not quite athletic enough to be a real force but still a good defensive player. Henson could be more than that. I prefer Henson to Withey, but prefer Withey’s value as a pick in the second round to Henson in the early-mid 1st round.

By the way, Harrison Barnes is almost certainly a top 10 pick, and he has shown little ability to do anything other than shoot pretty well. If he goes top 5, that could easily be the bust since he can’t pass or create his own shot. James McAdoo is another likely top 10 pick, and we’ve seen so little of him that who knows if he is actually good. McAdoo in limited minutes projects to be a good college player if he stays behind another year, and then he’d project as a good pro player. I think a projection based on a projection seems awfully risky for a lottery pick, but this draft is flawed enough that someone will do it if McAdoo wants to go pro. McAdoo’s greatest asset is that he hasn’t had a chance to have his game be exposed. Everyone compares Beal to Eric Gordon, but he hits only 33% of his 3 pt shots. I doubt Beal is a bust, but it could happen. Sullinger is a below the rim big man who once was supposed to be a bully in the post but is getting pushed around by smaller defenders in this tourney. Michael Kidd-Gilchrest is a wing player that can’t shoot (an abysmal 26% on 3. That said, I’m a believer in Kidd-Gilchrest, even if he is not exactly a sure thing). Thomas Robinson doesn’t have many real post moves and relies on being more athletic to score, which won’t be the case in the pros. Robinson also sometimes forgets to play defense. Cody Zeller, if he goes pro, is a skinny kid that needs to get tougher and rebound better. Damian Lillard is a point guard who averages 4 assists and is flawed defensively. Perry Jones often looks disinterested and disappears for long stretches at a time, and is maybe a little too in love with his jump shot. Speaking of disinterested, who has mentally checked out of more games the last 2 years than Terrence Jones? Jones is also a little on the short side at the 4, and a bit on the slow side at 3, a classic tweener. You’ve already made a strong case against John Henson. All of those guys are potential top 10 picks, and the rest of the guys have serious issues too. That’s the thing with this draft, everyone thinks it’s loaded because there are like 40 or more guys who could be good pros, but after Davis everyone shows signs of being the guy who busts.

Does Drummond have the most bust potential? I think that’s a reasonably fair assessment. I honestly don’t know who I’d take to be that guy, and frankly wouldn’t be surprised at all if 3 or 4 guys in the top 10 bust out. I’d also point out that shot blocking tends to translate pretty well, and Drummond already does that. Drummond is most likely to be at least a rotation caliber big who can block shots, which does fill a need in Detroit. I have him as my 4th best pickup for Detroit behind Davis, Robinson, and MKG because he fits a huge need for Detroit and has a really high upside. If Detroit misses on one of those 4, I’d want to trade down and see if I could acquire more draft picks. I really wouldn’t be surprised if the 26th player taken in this draft was better than the 6th pick. I’d rather move back and get someone like Tony Mitchell or Royce White and netting something else for doing so than sit there and decide between Jared Sullinger, James McAdoo, and Perry Jones.

• Mar 27, 201211:13 pm
        by RationalSportsFan

re: McAdoo and your claim that “we’ve seen so little of him that who knows if he is actually good”…sure if you only watch guys in collegiate games and ignore all high school games and underlying skill scouting, then yes, we don;t know if McAdoo will be any good.

If, however, you give a full scouting eye to McAdoo (including high school performance and general ability evaluation), then you will see McAdoo as one of the premier talents in the draft.

Many commenters on this site seem to base ALL of their scouting thoughts on what they see in random college games, where oftentimes prospects are playing with a coach who prefers to fit every player into the same system regardless of skill-set.  You have to look past those limitations and try to see abilities in a vacuum.  In this regard, McAdoo is a premier prospect (as basically every NBA front office says as well).

• Mar 28, 201212:48 am
          by oats

By that logic Marvin Williams is an all pro waiting to happen. He was a great high school player, he shoots the 3, and is a fantastic athlete. What’s more, he is really great at rebounding for a wing player. He has tools for days… I hate that I’m bringing up this comparison again since you already correctly pointed out that the similarities between these players aren’t that strong because they do different things. My point still stands, without seeing him play any real length of time against quality competition it is far too difficult to figure out what his real flaws are. So we are only looking at his positives, and his positives are that he can do some of everything, has good size, and is a solid athlete. We don’t know what he does well enough to contribute in the NBA with, it’s harder to figure out his NBA position since we haven’t seen what he is in the college game yet (is he a 3 or the 4 in the NBA? I suspect a 3, but I’ve heard scouts give either answer), and we don’t know what deficiencies he has. I just don’t think it is smart to base a player on evaluations we know are flawed. He is more than just the sum of his positive assets, like every player he has flaws, and without a chance to find them you could be making a huge mistake. Only looking at a player in a vacuum is absurd because he doesn’t play in a vacuum, he plays on a team. What he can do in an empty gym is not relevant to what he can do in the NBA. Yes, that is a part of the evaluation process, and it is important to know that a guy may have skills he hasn’t displayed in college (Monroe was a terrible offensive rebounder at Georgetown, and now is one of the best at it in the NBA. I assumed it was because of his spot in the offense taking him away from the glass too much, and it seems that was a likely guess). That doesn’t mean you ignore what happens on the court. There are a lot of good high school players that never become good pros. That’s why so many straight from high school guys crapped out in the NBA. All of those guys had roughly as much going for them as McAdoo does at this point. A lot of those guys theoretically have things that make them useful players, and they also had flaws that hadn’t been subjected to the kind of competition required to spot them. I’m not saying McAdoo will definitely bust, I’m just saying we know very little about him.

By the way, I do wish I wasn’t taking this stance on McAdoo since he does seem to be a guy who could make me look foolish. When I watch him I see a guy who will likely be a dominant player next year and a high draft pick if he decides to stay in school. Even if he goes pro now, he could totally be a great pro and make me look dumb. The difference between me and the average GM is that I don’t mind looking dumb because one guy outperforms expectations. The exceptions don’t change the fact that taking a college back up is extremely risky. So, to be more precise, GMs think he will be good but haven’t seen enough of him to know that for a fact. I know that is true of every draft pick, which was kind of the point I was just making, but it’s even more true for a guy like McAdoo. I don’t get how anyone could question that it is tough to project college back ups as good starters in the NBA, and if he goes in the top 10 that is what they would be projecting.

• Mar 28, 20121:21 am
            by RationalSportsFan

Anybody who makes any claims about any prospects better be ready to look foolish at times.  Even the greatest scouts with the best track records still have big misses.  This is true in all sports.

A freshman (like McAdoo) who had limited playing time might be more susceptible to being a bust than a known quantity like a senior.  But, McAdoo also has a ceiling that blows away basically every upperclassmen in this year’s draft.  A drafting team must weigh that ceiling vs that basement, and judge whether they prefer that over a known entity.  Compare McAdoo to his teammate, Tyler Zeller.  We can probably say pretty confidently that Tyler Zeller will be a solid backup center on a good team.  His basement and his ceiling are pretty close to each other.  Would you prefer that over McAdoo, whose reasonable basement is probably an athletic energy 4 off the bench, but whose ceiling may a top 30 player in the Association?  Some GM’s/evaluators DO prefer the sure thing.  I find this to be the incorrect path.

The fact that we have less information about McAdoo than we prefer is not enough to make us avoid him as a potential prospect.  Rather, we gotta judge him on the available information (and, thus, downplay his collegiate stats/performance, as he was never given a full chance there).  If he declares himself for the draft, front offices have to make a decision on the likelihood of him reaching various levels of effectiveness, and judge whether he is worth a high pick (even if they recognize bust potential).

The idea (not necessarily from you, Oats, but prevalent here and elsewhere) that you should avoid anyone with bust potential is downright silly.  You have to weigh the “bust-ability” against the players potential ceiling.  If you KNEW Player X had a 50% chance of being a bust, but a 50% chance of being Michael Jordan, you better take X number one overall (extreme non-real world example, but you get the point).

• Mar 28, 20122:04 am
            by oats

I disagree on his floor, which I think is short Jordan Hill. I definitely won’t concede he will be an athletic energy 4 since I don’t even know that he is a 4. He might be a big 3, even if he doesn’t shoot 3s, although I will agree that PF is his most likely position. I also don’t see a potential top 30 NBA player as a likely outcome for him. I’d liken his potential to Danny Granger, a nice player to be certain, and maybe a fringe All Star if he puts up stats on a bad team, but not top 30. Considering his significant bust potential, I think that is a huge risk in the top 10. This draft is loaded with guys with high ceilings, you aren’t just choosing between McAdoo and Zeller. That’s why instead of taking McAdoo I’d rather trade down and get a different guy. Royce White and Tony Mitchell are both guys who look like they could be good pros, and they are universally projected outside of the top 10. Henson is a proven shot blocker and rebounder, skills that generally translate to the NBA. Meyers Leonard could definitely become a great defensive big, and he isn’t likely to be in the lottery. Kendall Marshall could be an upgrade in the back court, although Pistons fans would be upset at Brandon Knight moving to the bench. Austin Rivers could give us a 3rd interchangeable combo guard and make the Pistons a nightmare to defend even with the starters out. I don’t know if he’s willing to do it, but Jeremy Lamb could be a stud perimeter defender if he focuses on that, and he could be really valuable if he realizes that he isn’t a great 3 point shooter. That’s my problem with McAdoo, he has the potential to bust and this draft is loaded with guys that I would consider better value given their relative draft position.

By the way, I’m fond of Drummond, and I concede he could bust too. You can’t avoid bust potential in this draft, you just take the best gamble you can. I’d bet on Drummond because I know what he definitely does, which is block shots. I don’t know what McAdoo definitely does since his stats off the bench are so unreliable (too tough to project based on 15 minutes, which is probably good since he’s a PF that shoots 41% from the field. I think he rebounds and can score thanks to his speed, although I question how well he defends. I don’t know any of that though). That’s part of the problem with McAdoo, the answer could be that he doesn’t have an NBA skill, and that is the worst possible bust scenario. I get why McAdoo is a top 10 pick, I just don’t want to be the guy making that move when I can move down and get someone else while also adding another potential asset. Heck, the buzz on McAdoo is strong enough you might be able to unload a bad contract while moving down in the first round. If McAdoo is atop my draft board when the Pistons pick, I want them trading out of it.

• Mar 27, 201212:58 pm
    by frankie d

@max
    combo guards this year?
    the best one: tony wroten of washington.
    terrance ross, also of washington is another.
    one of my sleepers is darius johnson-odom from marquete.
    the kansas guard, elijah johnson is another.
    while this draft is fairly thin, unusually so, combo guards are probably – along with scoing wings – the easiest type of player to get in the nba.

• Mar 27, 20123:09 pm
      by Max

Well, quality is the real issue though.  I’m in five fantasy leagues and in every draft, there were fewer draft worthy wings that bigs or point guards.  I made the comment before, but Larry Bird was saying he didn’t think there would be a starting level point guard coming out of this draft or the next one.

• Mar 27, 20122:09 pm
    by Mark

Picking him in the top 3 would be a gamble because he does have bust potential, but picking him where the Pistons will be picking in the 6-7 range, he’s worth the gamble.

We have a really good big man coach too in Rogers to develop him.

• Mar 27, 20122:12 pm
      by Mark

If Drummond develops into the big man he’s capable of being, when its said and done, he will be a better overall big than Davis. Because Drummond will be dominating on both ends of the court. Whereas Davis doesnt have any offensive tools, and if he doesn’t bulk up, he may be avg on defense as well in the NBA.

• Mar 27, 20122:18 pm
        by RussellC

I think Davis is Joakim Noah 2.0 which is not bad but I don’t see him as the second coming. Personally if the Pistons get the number 1 pick I trade down. I call Charlotte who should have 2 or 3 and offer to swap the pick as long as they give up Biyombo as well. I draft Kidd-Gilchrist and look to pick up Melo/Ezili/Bernard James or Withey in round 2.

• Mar 27, 20122:36 pm
        by rick77

You do realize Davis was a point guard in Hig School when you say he doesnt have any offensive skills? Dude even has three point shot to boot. So if you dont  know about him then dont make stuff up. Davis will be good and Drummond hoepfully will eventually grow into a good player. Davis in my opinion just like Henson is like Chandler or Camby. He can become a game changer in right system.

• Mar 27, 20123:12 pm
        by RationalSportsFan

@Mark and RussellC

You are judging Davis based WAY too much on his college performance on offense, where he was used mainly as a decoy and a lob machine.  Blame Calipari for that, not Davis.

Look at the underlying skills.  Already a plus ballhandler for a big man, stretches out to 15-18 feet with consistency.  Has the requisite athletic ability to make you think that he will develop a tremendous low-post arsenal.

Saying Davis has no offensive skill or comparing him to Noah is just silly.  When he get into an NBA system where is allowed to show his range more and where he won;t have to face collapsing zones, he will be absolutely dominant offensively.

• Mar 27, 20122:27 pm
    by frankie d

if chris washburn developed into the player he was capable of being he’d dominate.
    if mel turpin had developed, he’d dominate.
    if thabeet hasheem had developed, he’d have dominated.
    if michael olawokandi had developed, he’d have dominated.
    if steve stepanovich had developed, he’d have dominated.
    if tractor traylor developed, he’d dominate.
    if roy tarpley didn’t like drugs so much he’d have dominated.
    i fail to see how picking a bust at 7 or 8 is any better than picking one at 2 or 3.  a team has to make its lottery picks work or else it eventually comes back to haunt them.  detroit fans should understand that better than most
    not saying that drummond is not worth it… i really don’t know and i doubt that the pistons know now..
    it’s up to them to do the proper due diligence and find out enough about the kid to make a good judgment about him.
    he reminds me of john salley in a way.  going into his draft season, salley was at the top of lots of mock drafts.  teams ultimately had concerns about his attitude, his mentality, so he dropped to detroit at the 10th pick, i believe.
    turns out those concerns were valid, as salley had a good career, but he was never the dominant player many thought he would be.
    if salley had put as much time into developing his game as he put into giving parties – salley’s parties were legendary back in the day – he would have been one of the best big men of his era, instead of just being a good role player.
    drummond reminds me of salley in that he has both bust postential, but i could also see him being a good role player.  in fact, if i had to bet, i’d bet on a salley-like role player, rather than dominant big man.
    could be absolutely worng of course, but if i had to bet, that would be my bet right now.

• Mar 27, 20123:22 pm
      by RationalSportsFan

Why bring up 2 cokeheads, a guy who had tremendous weight issues, a universally panned pick when it happened with maybe 1/4 of the athleticism as Drummond, two guys who were drafted when they were 23, and Tractor Traylor who bears virtually no similarities to Drummond…when we are discussing Drummond.  These guys have ZERO to do with him.

The fact that there were other guys in the past who failed to live up to their potential has nothing to do with Drummond.  There are plenty of projects who DO live up to their potential.  Why don’t we compare Drummond to them and conclude that he will be great?

I don’t view Drummond as a potential bust at all.  I view him as a Deandre Jordan type project, where his basement will be solid defensive center with athleticism around the rim on both sides of the ball, regardless of whether he ever develops a well-rounded offensive game.

• Mar 27, 20122:32 pm
    by rick77

I like Drummond and I like Wroten as a point guard as well. My brother has been talking him up alot and says he could be a steal with the right team. The thing about Drummond is willhe stay motivated? Will he turn into William Bedford/Eddy Curry/Oliver Miller or will he be his own man who will carve his niche in this league. As far as Henson goes I would draft him because he has that Tyson Chandler/ Marcus Camby thing going for him. So what Whithey did his thing in their game i would not take him unless I had to. He is an ok player but certainly not better than Henson. I know he (Henson) was hurt but he does have two years of work to look at and evaluate him from. Other than that something tells me Detroit will get lucky. I have that feeling dont know what it is but I really feel they are due that first pick. The NBA is better when Detroit and the Chicagos/New York/LA are in the news. People seem to gravitate towrds what they are doing when we are good. Call it luck or whatever but this is our time again and this draft will show what direction we are really headed in.

• Mar 27, 20123:13 pm
    by Max

I’d draft Drummond third behind Davis and Robinson.  Also, if the Pistons win too many games and their pick gets even lower, I’m intrigued by Zeller.   He may not be great, but he look like a quality starting center to me.

• Mar 27, 20123:34 pm

Tyler or Cody? I’m actually really intrigued by Cody if he declares. I wouldn’t take him over Davis, Drummond or Robinson, but I’d consider him strongly over any of the other lottery bigs.

• Mar 27, 20123:47 pm
        by RationalSportsFan

I am also intrigued by Cody (at least more than Tyler).  The only advantage I’d give Tyler over Cody is his body, but Cody is 3 years younger and is extremely likely to grow into a similar body.  Skillwise, there is no comparison.  Cody is a MUCH quicker and more-skilled offensive player.

• Mar 27, 20124:08 pm
        by sop

Don’t forget that Drummond won’t turn 19 until the middle of August so anything he did at UConn this year was as a high school senior.

• Mar 28, 201212:33 am
        by Max

I actually think both Zellars will be decent pros but I’d draft Cody first.

• Mar 27, 20123:53 pm

57. Jamychal Green
    58. William Buford
    59. Kris Joseph
    60. Quincy Acy

• Mar 27, 20129:39 pm
      by RationalSportsFan

Like the list.  I have some serious differences (I am still a Barnes believer).  Worth noting that Patric Young, McDermott, and Kabongo all confirmed that they are coming back to school next year, so might wanna edit them off your list.

• Mar 27, 20127:11 pm
    by Ryan P.

Thabeet Hasheem..is he related to Hasheem Thabeet?

• Mar 27, 201210:26 pm
    by Roit

Drummond Drummond Drummond. I love this guy.

• May 30, 20128:17 am
      by Shelton

These are a couple scenarios I like take Beal,Barnes,orPJones3 and trade Kyle zingler to move up in the draft to get melo or mabe take arise and wait for next year and try to get Patric Young and get Beal or Barnes(if we cant get Davis

• May 30, 20128:20 am
    by Shelton

These are a couple scenarios I like take Beal,Barnes,orPJones3 and trade Kyle zingler to move up in the draft to get melo or mabey take a risk and wait for next year and try to get Patric Young and get Beal or Barnes(if we cant get Davis