Walker Russell’s contract will be guaranteed for the rest of the season, former Piston DaJuan Summers not so lucky

Today was decision day for all NBA teams on non-guaranteed contracts. They become guaranteed for the rest of the season after today. The Pistons had three players without guaranteed deals — Damien Wilkins, Vernon Macklin and Walker Russell. Of the three, there was some uncertainty as to whether the team would keep Russell, a D-League call-up who was added to the roster because of the many guard injuries the Pistons have had this season. HoopsHype reports that the Pistons will indeed keep Russell:

The Detroit Pistons are keeping guard Walker Russell, agent Giovanni Funiciello tells HoopsHype.

HoopsHype also noted that Russell is Detroit’s first D-League call-up, although they have sent a handful of players to their D-League affiliate over the years (hat-tip Packey).

Meanwhile, former Piston DaJuan Summers was among the players cut as the Hornets decided against guaranteeing his contract. Condolences can be offered to Frankie D in the comments. Also, Scott Schroeder of SB Nation has a handy tracker of all the non-guaranteed contracts that were either guaranteed or waived today. One intriguing name: Derrick Caracter of the Lakers. The Pistons do have a roster spot … wouldn’t mind seeing them give him a 10-day contract.

• Feb 7, 20129:08 pm
    by apa8ren9

That is because Dajuan Summers cannot play NBA level ball.  Can we please put this to rest now.  Its been cosigned. Thank you New Orleans.

• Feb 7, 20129:32 pm
    by Mike Payne

Fully agreed re: Derrick Caracter.  I was actually looking at his D-League stats this morning, and was bummed that the Lakers own his rights.  Your mention of Caracter’s availability is awesome news, Patrick.  I remember liking him pre-draft, then watching him tear up the summer league a month later.  I would rather have him on the roster than Vernon Macklin, that’s for sure…

• Feb 7, 20129:35 pm
      by Max

I saw Caracacter rebound like a monster against the Pistons in what I believe was his first summer league game.  No objections here.

• Feb 7, 201210:15 pm
      by gmehl

I wouldn’t mind Character on a 10 day contract either. I was going to mention Greg Smith who Houston originally waived but have now opted to sign. Smith was averaging 16.5 points and 9.1 rebounds per game for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. I was hoping Joe was going to use our second rounder on Smith but he ultimately wanted to sign ‘high character’ individuals.

• Feb 7, 201211:19 pm

Caracter was a beast in college and summer league. He’s supposedly a bit of a head case, but the Pistons could use a couple doses of crazy and rebounding, so I’d love for them to take a look. Not sure what kind of shape he’s in though, conditioning was always an issue for him.

• Feb 8, 20128:57 am
        by apa8ren9

Let me join the bandwagon and vote yes to Caracter.  I would have no objections to him on the Pistons.  I dont think Caracter is going to have a problem latching on to a team unless those headcase problems are bigger than we think.   I dont think its going to happen though, I believe the plan is full “tank” ahead. There is no turning back, no excuses and no help.

• Feb 7, 20129:54 pm
    by pete

We all know Joe D isnt about to go after a young BIG man with potential…LOL

• Feb 7, 201210:30 pm
    by Tiko

anyone else kinda wish we had Summers for dirt cheap (nba standards) instead of Tayshaun?

• Feb 7, 201210:44 pm
      by neutes

i’ll take neither, but i’ll also agree.

• Feb 7, 201210:38 pm
    by gmehl

I suppose you have to ask yourself whether its worth Joe pulling off some minor moves this season that might actually lead to a couple of extra wins. Those few extra wins could jeopardize our draft position which in all reality would be like shooting yourself in the foot. Don’t get me wrong i really want to see an athletic big next to Moose but maybe the best way for that to happen is through the draft.

• Feb 7, 201210:53 pm
      by Anthony

You wouldn’t be shooting yourself in the foot because if he works out you wont need to use that high pick on a big man. By offering him a 10 day contract you can see what hes like instead of gambiling on someone and if he does work out and gives you 5 more wins this year than look for someone like gilchrist at 6th or 7th pick if he drops that far!

• Feb 7, 201211:03 pm
    by Max

Where’s the article announcing that Billups career is probably over?  I feel really bad but I’m consoling myself that at least I won’t have to read about anyone still wanting him to be here.

• Feb 7, 201211:07 pm
      by Daye and Knight

It’s not over, he’ll be out for 8 months to recover. He already said in an interview he won’t call it quits and plans to play again

• Feb 7, 201211:10 pm
        by Max

But the objective people around him are saying it’s probably over.

• Feb 7, 201211:17 pm
          by Daye and Knight

It’ll be a tough road ahead but Billups is a tough guy, if it is over then it’ll be because there’s absolutely nothing he can do but I don’t see him giving up that easy. Hopefully after a long rehabilitation he’ll be back on the court if not he’ll be a hall of famer without a doubt

• Feb 7, 201211:27 pm

@Max:

This is the worst and most biased comment I’ve ever encountered on this site. All of the points were framed in such a way as to insure you  treated Billups with about as much objectivity as the Republican do Pres. Obama. I think this comment might have been using “Chauncey Billups’ unfortunate injury” as a hammer to try and bring him down, but he’s faced tougher opponents than you. Eat some protein and iron why don’t ya?

• Feb 7, 201211:32 pm
        by Max

Please, you’re only attacking me because you are being defensive and which comment do you mean?     The one about me consoling myself?   How exactly does that bring Billups down and if I am biased, it is on his behalf as I would argue to the death that he was better than Steve Nash some years ago when Nash won MVP.   I’ve grown very tired of people wishing he was still here because I think they’d be bad if he was anyway and further from moving on.   I didn’t want to see this happen at all and if anything was rooting for the Clippers to win the title this year to hopefully make his induction to the hall smooth.

• Feb 7, 201211:34 pm
        by Max

And my statement about the objective people around him had to do with a report I’d just read prior to posting.

• Feb 7, 201211:36 pm
        by Max

Just going through the possibilities one by one: is your objection that I asked for the article because I was just wondering when it was coming?

• Feb 7, 201211:06 pm
    by Daye and Knight

Caracter is only 23 years old, a big 6’9 275lb big man who has nowhere to go but up…that is why Dumars will decide to pass him up. “He doesn’t fit the description. We’re about losing basketball and we can’t reach an all time low with another big…we have big plans for Charlie V when he returns he’s gonna be a big part of this franchise.”

Gotta love Dumars..especially on Dumars Week!!!!

• Feb 7, 201211:17 pm
      by Mark

There would be absolutely no excuse for Joe not offering him a 10 day contract. If they can give a 28 yr old backup PG from the D-league a chance, when they were stocked already at that position, there’s no logical explanation they could give for not signing a 6-9, 275lb PF with nice low post moves, when we the cupboard is bare in the big department.

This is exactly what Joe has said he’s been looking for – young big men with size to add to the core for cheap. Caracter is practically being handed to him on a silver platter. If Joe can’t accomplish this one, idk what to think anymore about his ability to acquire talent.

• Feb 7, 201211:23 pm

The only excuse would be if there was a decision by ownership to keep that last roster spot open all season as a cost-savings measure. There’s not a legit basketball reason to not look at a player like Caracter or a similar D-League big, but there very well could be a financial reason the team hasn’t looked to use that last spot.

• Feb 7, 201211:30 pm
          by Daye and Knight

Makes sense that it could be for financial reasons. Having T-Pain and Flo Rida perform at half time ain’t cheap, especially when no one is there to watch it

• Feb 8, 201212:38 am
            by Mark

ROTFL!

Washed up 90′s rappers vote NO on Caracter.

• Feb 8, 201212:39 am
          by Max

If they had 15 players and a team wanted to execute a 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 trade, could the Pistons cut a guaranteed contract to push the trade through?   All that said, I’d rather just take the chance on Character.

• Feb 7, 201211:25 pm
        by Daye and Knight

Hey don’t be down on Joe…in fact I’m sure he’s somewhere at a YMCA recruiting someone right now.

In all seriousness you’re right. I would love to give the guy a chance and see what he can do with Monroe.

If he did do good enough to add him in our long term plans then it would let us have flexibility in the next draft so we wouldn’t have to draft the next available big cause he was the best big left. If we took Sullinger over Barnes I would probably riot and watch some other team next year

• Feb 7, 201211:10 pm
    by Max

Has a player ever come back from an Achilles at Billups age 8 months from now?

• Feb 7, 201211:16 pm
    by Max

When the Pistons traded Billups, I did think it was partially about the fact that while he was present for their last two playoff runs, his health stopped him and the team from playing well.  His first year in Denver, he finally had a healthy playoffs but last year in New York he played hurt again and this year, he isn’t going to be play any playoff games at all.   It seems to me that his health has failed him around playoff time in four out of the last five seasons and anyone here who says he was healthy during his last two playoff runs in Detroit because he played a decent number of games either didn’t watch or doesn’t remember.

• Feb 8, 201212:41 am
    by Max

Jerebko wrote a supportive tweet to Billups identifying with his plight and assuring his recovery.  I hope so…….I’ve been thinking about it and the oldest player I remember making a successful comeback from Billups’ injury was Dominique Wilkins and he was at least a few years younger and an athletic freak.

• Feb 8, 201212:42 am
    by Max

If my memory serves, Nique was the same age Isiah was when Isiah retired due to the same injury but Nique made it back and had some great seasons to boot.

• Feb 8, 201211:24 am
    by frankie d

this is one of those no-brainer decisions that joe will refuse to make.
    a great situation for player and team. he would
    thrive next to monroe. a true space-eater who would help prevent teams from pounding us on the boards.
    will be shocked if joe signs him.
    one note: he was arrested for an incident at an LA restaurant just before being released. would still take a chance, regardless.
    cant lose with a short contract.

• Feb 8, 201212:11 pm
    by frankie d

dujaun summers?
    i wish him luck.
    the real joke is that dumars pays a stiff like wilkins over a million buck, guarantees the contract for the year, but will probably not sign a young big man to a 10 day contract to see if he can play.
    i’d like someone to explain the logic behind keeping wilkins.
    its good that dumars has finally discovered that you might be able to find talent in the d-league.  hopefully, he’ll apply lessons learned and tap into more players from the league.  who knows what he might find if he gives a guy a chance.
    it makes a heckuva lot more sense to give a hungry 25 year old guy from the d-league a shot than to keep recycling worn out retreads hanging on to one last paycheck.