Kyle Singler hasn’t decided whether he’ll play in the NBA next season, either

Jorge Sierra of HoopsHype has an interview with everyone’s favorite Piston draft pick, Kyle Singler. Singler talks about his season with Real Madrid. Then there’s this:

Are you watching the Pistons games this year?

KS: I know they are not doing too well. But they are a team that’s building, they are young and they are not going to have a great year. But as long as they compete and play hard, that’s all you can ask for.

What’s going to happen with you next season?

KS: I have not decided. I haven’t made up my mind yet. I can stay for another year or I can go back. I really don’t know. I’m not leaning one way or the other. I’m concentrated and focused on playing here right now and winning basketball games.

Singler also notes in the interview that he was disappointed he wasn’t drafted in the first round. It’s pretty clear why that’s probably the case: he missed out on a fully guaranteed contract and more money by three picks. The money he was able to make with Real Madrid trumps what he would’ve made with the Pistons as a second round pick.

Honestly, I don’t really care if Singler never plays for the Pistons. But he at some point will have to show that he actually wants to play in the NBA if the Pistons ever want to trade his draft rights somewhere. He genuinely seems to love playing in Spain, and it’s hard to fault that. He’s playing at a very high level of pro basketball.

• Feb 4, 201211:05 am
    by Murph

“Singler also notes in the interview that he was disappointed he wasn’t drafted in the first round. It’s pretty clear why that’s probably the case: he missed out on a fully guaranteed contract and more money by three picks.”

Well, if Singler really wanted to be a 1st round draft choice, he should have declared for the draft one year earlier, right after he led Duke to the 2010 NCAA Championship.  If I’m not mistaken, Singler was projected to the a top 20 pick in the 2010 draft.

Unfortunately for him, he retured to Duke for his senior year, Duke had a disappointing season, and Singler’s stock dropped in the 2011 draft.

Now, he still doesn’t seem too eager to play in the NBA.  If he returns to Real Madrid to play next year, that means Singler will have blown roughly $5 million in guaranteed money that he would have made as a 2010 1st rounder.

I thought Dukies were supposed to be smart.

• Feb 4, 20126:58 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Maybe he’s not all about maximizing money? Maybe he enjoyed his last year at Duke?

• Feb 4, 20129:09 pm
        by Murph

Yeah…ok…that’s fine.  He’s apparently not all that interested in maximizing his income, and apparently he’s not all that interested in maximizing his NBA career either.  That might be great for Singler, but the Pistons?…not so much.

The last guy the Pistons had who wasn’t all that interested in maximizing his income or NBA talent was Bison Dele.

• Feb 4, 201211:29 am
    by Corey

It sounds to me like he’s negotiating. Playing in Europe gives him leverage. If the Pistons offer him a guaranteed contract for 2-3 years at 2 million a year, I bet he’ll play for them. If they want him to take the standard non-guaranteed low money contract, he’ll stay in Europe. I believe there is flexibility on 2nd round pick contracts. They need to make it worth his while. If he can make better guaranteed money in Europe, of course he’ll stay there.

• Feb 4, 201211:42 am
      by Murph

Good point.  But if the Pistons are forced to take another SF in the 2012 draft (Harrison Barnes or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist), I really can’t understand why the Pistons would want sign Singler to a guaranteed contract.  I mean how many SFs do we need.  If the Pistons draft another SF this summer, they should probably try to trade the rights to Singler for whatever they can get.  That would be very disappointing for the Pistons and for Singler.  This is another reason the ‘Stones need to tank the season, in order to draft Drummond or Davis.

• Feb 4, 201212:57 pm
        by Daye and Knight

It’s Davis or bust: Drummond might not declare for the draft this season. Otherwise we could trade down to the 7-10 spot if we get the 2-4 spot in the draft and draft Perry Jones or Jared Sullinger while hopefully trading away a bad contract for a team desperate for Barnes. I’m on record for saying I’m OK with drafting Barnes if Davis is gone but we would need to sign a big man via free agency or vice versa…draft Sullinger/Jones and in the off season if Daye “Doesn’t get it” trade for Terrence Williams if he’s available. Also trade Prince for a late 1st round pick and draft another big man at that position cause as it stands we have 2 second round picks in the up coming draft as well

• Feb 4, 20121:58 pm
          by Max

Payback is sweet @Daye and Knight,

• Feb 4, 20122:57 pm
            by Daye and Knight

Lol right! He’s too busy trying to correct all of us but he’s the one writing blogs not us so that’s messed up on his part. Karma’s a bitch

• Feb 4, 20127:03 pm
            by Dan Feldman

Nobody can write the 1,000s of words Patrick does each week without a few typos. They happen. When Patrick points out incorrect word choice — different than — he does so in a lighthearted way and moves on. If you’re doing the same, have at it. If you think you’ve proved some grand point, give me a break.

• Feb 4, 20124:15 pm
          by Joe Dumars

No one is going to trade even a late 1st for Tay and his bad contract.

• Feb 4, 20121:57 pm
        by Max

Why would the Pistons draft or sign a SF?    That would be the worst move possible.

• Feb 4, 20124:14 pm
          by Joe Dumars

People need to stop pidgeonholing a big man for the Pistons. Come on lets stop acting like the Pistons are just one big man away.

The Pistons are bad enough where you have to draft BPA.

Btw Monroe paired up with either Perry Jones, or Sullinger would be a diasterous frontcourt.

• Feb 4, 20124:22 pm
            by Max

That’s why I say the pick should be traded.  There are lots of centers to pick around 8-12th and they could pick up a piece or alternatively trade the pick for a center.
            I also don’t think it’s so far fetched to think the Pistons are just one big man away because Monroe has the potential to be a top five big man next year and is boasting those kind of numbers this year.  IMHO having two of say the top 15 big men at any time is enough to make you relevant in the league regardless how the rest of the cast looks and I don’t think the Pistons guards are even the problem this year.   Prince, Jerebko, Daye and Singler project to be at worst an adequate SF rotation in my estimation so why exactly are the Pistons so far away if they get the right big man?

• Feb 4, 201212:51 pm
    by Daye and Knight

“He’s playing at a every high level of pro basketball.”

*Very

• Feb 4, 20128:51 pm

Haha. You got me. If you notice, the only time I tend to be a snark about the grammar/typos of commenters is when those commenters are jerks. So if I’ve put a smart ass correction as a response to you, it’s more a reflection of your collective body of work as a commenter than trying to be the error police.

• Feb 4, 20121:50 pm
    by danny

I care if he never plays for us. I think he could end up being a steal. The guy has a future in this league if he wants one, IMO.

• Feb 4, 20122:00 pm
    by Max

Singler is a traitor and he 2nd round picks can make more money than late first round picks after their rookie contract which can be one year if they want.  All he has to do is show something as a rookie and I don’t like what this all indicates about his confidence.

• Feb 4, 20124:03 pm
      by danny

I think it says more about his intelligence and forward thinking. He knew he wasnt going to get playing time, on what is a bad team anyways. Why not develop his game over-seas, and make more money at the same time?

• Feb 4, 20122:08 pm
    by frankie d

imho, singler’s hesitation is a reflection of how far the pistons have fallen.
    the franchise is a mess.  young players constantly get screwed  by the coaching staff.  you can bet the word is out among agents.  it is obvious to everyone around the league.
    why would a guy with options want to come here to get buried?
    i hope he plays for the team because it looks like he has potential, and if he makes it as a rotation player as a second rounder, he’s a steal.  but if he’s really angling for the team to trade him, i hope they make a good trade and get something other than the 54th pick for him.  if he’s as good as he appears to be – based on his play in europe – he’s got a real value in the nba.
    let’s hope joe d doesn’t do his regular dump job.
    btw, unless a guy is melo or a truly unusual talent like perry jones, i wouldn’t draft a wing player in the top 3 or 4.  those guys are a dime a dozen.  you can pick up wing scorers late first, second round, all the time.  why waste a high pick on something you can pick up a lot cheaper?
    imho, barnes does not fit the category of being special.  just my opinion

• Feb 4, 20127:08 pm
      by Dan Feldman

No, it probably doesn’t. It might. But it probably doesn’t. He’s not the first player to sign overseas for more money than he could get in the NBA. He won’t be the last.

• Feb 4, 20122:09 pm
    by MrBlockedShot

Singler is a good pick for us: he´s a smart player, has size for his position on the court and has lots of energy. My opinion is it´s good for us to have him playing here in Spain: he´s getting minutes and playing against the better teams in the world out of the NBA.
    His impact was huge in his first team, Lucentum Alicante, but in Real Madrid he has played a secondary role. He´s still getting used to new coach and new playmates but I think he will be fine and establish himself as a key player for the team. He has to compete in minutes against veteran and more mature players so it´s going to take some time for him.
    I think he´s going to be back to NBA some time, next year or maybe later but he´s a NBA caliber player and I´d rather have him playing minutes in european elite team than benched with the Pistons.

• Feb 4, 20123:52 pm
    by Mark

I actually dont mind him staying another year, if he did. He would be coming here at 25 yrs old, and we’d be adding a nice talent, just entering his prime, and on a rookie contract, without having having to go through any of the growing pains.

I’d like him to come next year, but if he waits another year I’d be ok too.

Starting to wonder though if he just has something against Detroit and doesn’t want to play here. Anyone know if we hold his drafts forever, or can he just wait a few years then join the NBA as a FA?

IIRC, if he refuses to play for us, then he can’t play in the NBA period. If true, he’d have to really hate Detroit to ruin his whole NBA career just to not play here for a year or two.

• Feb 4, 20124:15 pm
      by Max

Just so long as we remember he is a mercenary and doesn’t give a fig about this franchise.

• Feb 4, 20127:09 pm
        by Dan Feldman

By your standards, name one player who “give(s) a fig about this franchise.”

• Feb 5, 20129:10 am
          by Max

I did notice Brandon Knight for one saying he had no interest in playing overseas.  I could name a lot of other players on this team too, because unless you want to throw out some accusations regarding the mutiny last year or other nonsense, there aren’t many players on this roster that have done something that hurts the team and I can’t think of any player on this roster who actually said he didn’t care if he upset the team’s plans and was just going to make the best decision for himself.  Maybe some of them have felt that way, but none of them have said it so by my standards every player on the roster is more of stand up Piston than Singler.

• Feb 5, 20129:13 am
          by Max

And I truly appreciate someone’s earlier reference to Bison Dele, because other than when he left and Dwayne Wade refused to work out for the team and told them that he hated them, I can’t remember a player this side of Grant Hill or Alan Houston who rejected the Pistons to the extent Singler has.

• Feb 5, 201212:38 pm
            by Dan Feldman

Remember when Ben Wallace signed with the Bulls?

• Feb 6, 20121:19 pm
            by Max

I do and I think it was a terrible decision by him from any standpoint but money and I wonder if he regrets it.  Further, I think it’s a black mark on his status as an all time great Piston but he has accomplished enough positives to relegate the issue to the background.

• Feb 4, 20124:50 pm
    by Joe Dumars

“That’s why I say the pick should be traded. There are lots of centers to pick around 8-12th and they could pick up a piece or alternatively trade the pick for a center.”

You’re still pidgeonholing.

“I also don’t think it’s so far fetched to think the Pistons are just one big man away because Monroe has the potential to be a top five big man next year and is boasting those kind of numbers this year. ”

Griffin was playing like a top 10 big last year, and they still were a top 10 lottery team.

” IMHO having two of say the top 15 big men at any time is enough to make you relevant in the league regardless how the rest of the cast looks and I don’t think the Pistons guards are even the problem this year”

So you’re assuming which ever big they draft will be a top 15 bigman in his 1st year? You bring the lulz my friend.

I guess the guards haven’t been much of a problem besides the terrible perimeter shooting.

“Prince, Jerebko, Daye and Singler project to be at worst an adequate SF rotation in my estimation so why exactly are the Pistons so far away if they get the right big man?
    Beyond which, if the Pistons draft a wing player or guard, make a couple of moves and improve to the point of mediocrity next year then they will never have such a chance again to land a center because they will never have as high a draft pick since Monroe projects as a top big man so they can’t be that bad for very long.”

Adequate? That rotation is so unathletic and inconsistant(Singler excluded) its beyond funny.

So the Pistons should avoid more talented players at other positions besides big men, just because they might get better and miss out on another top big again. What terrible logic.

Toronto has been drafting big after big and look where that has got them.

• Feb 5, 20129:06 am
    by Max

I would agree with you if there weren’t so many 4-5 bigs in this draft that would be perfect for this team.  I just don’t see the sense drafting another position when they can land a truly great center with a tenth pick.   This is not a normal draft and you should look at a 10th pick as a 5th pick,

• Feb 5, 20122:16 pm
      by Joe Dumars

Stop acting like this team doesn’t have problems all around. You’re really overrating this draft especially when we don’t even know who’s coming out.

Lets say you trade out of 4th overall position and with Barnes still on the board, and you trade back to 10th and take Meyers Leonard. Barnes developes into a Danny Granger type, while Leonard turns out to be Dark. Then you’ll know whats so wrong with pidgeonholing a position.The Pistons could get away with drafting for need in 2003, not now.

• Feb 6, 20121:23 pm
    by Max

I could play what if’s too and say the tenth pick worked and the 4th pick was a bust.  That doesn’t prove anything and it’s not me who is acting like this draft is so great as the general buzz ever since the last draft has been to say this will be one of the best and deepest drafts ever and most probably the best in 10 years.  And it’s not like they always hype the draft since the last few have been hyped as poor drafts.

• Feb 6, 20124:28 pm
      by Joe Dumars

You obviously don’t get the problem pidgeonholing a postion when you’re a bad team.

• Feb 6, 20125:41 pm
    by Max

You obviously put too high of a value tweeners and scorers.