Jeremy Lin overshadowing Jonas Jerebko

John Hollinger of ESPN thinks Jeremy Lin has drawn attention from other worthy players:

So today it’s time to make amends for that with my All Jeremy Lin Team — 10 guys who you really ought to be hearing about but aren’t because of the mania surrounding Lin.

One of those players? Jonas Jerebko:

Jonas Jerebko, Detroit: It doesn’t quite have the same cachet as being the league’s first prominent Asian-American, but the league’s first Swede is also having a nice season in unexpected circumstances. Recovering from a torn Achilles that knocked him out all of last season, Jerebko hasn’t skipped a bit. His numbers are virtually identical to those he put up as a rookie, except better given that a) he’s doing it with more touches and b) offense in the league as a whole is way down.

And lo and behold, the Knicks aren’t the only seeming doormats to suddenly win seven of nine games. Detroit has managed the same in its past nine, and while that slate of schedule included most the league’s riff-raff, give the Pistons props for recovering from a truly depressing first 24 games.

(As for reasons, here’s a side note as a card-carrying Rodney Stuckey defender: Detroit is 9-6 when he plays at least 30 minutes, including all nine games in this recent stretch. The Pistons are 2-16 when he doesn’t.)

• Feb 21, 20123:19 pm
    by frankie d

thanks for the note on stuckey.
    hard to understand the hostility to stuckey among pistons’ fans.
    while i thought he was horribly miscast as a point guard, i always thought he was a valuable player for the team.
    no one brings what he brings on a game by game basis.
    he penetrates and gets to the rim better than anyone on the team.
    he gets to the line much more often than anyone else.
    he’s the best ballhandler on the team and when the team needs someone to deal with pressure, he’s the guy.
    while he is inconsistent defensively, he is the only guard with size, who can guard some of the bigger, stronger backcourt opponents.
    he is the best late game free throw shooter, not quite as solid as chauncey yet, but someone who you can pretty much count on to nail late game free throws. exactly what you want…your best ballhandler as your best late game free throw option.
    chalk me up as another hardcore stuckey defender.
    great to see him playing well.

• Feb 21, 20125:31 pm
      by Dynamizer

frankie d, I don’t always agree with you but I do here. I’ve been a huge Stuckey fan (named my cat after him a few years ago) and it’s really nice to see him getting some love. He brings a lot to the table that other people don’t.

Like PH has said I think his next step is consistency. It seems like he is in a much more stable environment this year and may be able to make that step. I think/hope he can.

• Feb 21, 20125:41 pm

“I’ve been a huge Stuckey fan (named my cat after him a few years ago)”

That’s awesome. I bet your cat is a little on the lazy side, but has incredible upside.

I kid, I kid.

• Feb 21, 20126:06 pm
          by Dynamizer

Bwhahaha!

She* does lay around a lot but she has a real feisty side.

*There wasn’t any males left when I was drafting.

• Feb 21, 20126:09 pm

To be just a little on the industrious side, that would have to be an awfully industrious cat.

• Feb 21, 20126:11 pm

*on the lazy side

• Feb 21, 20124:14 pm
    by vic

I wont say i’m a defender, but i do appreciate him. we just need someone to do some of the things that he cant or doesnt do. like Brandon Knight to hit 3s and scott machado to throw dimes

• Feb 21, 20126:12 pm
    by Laser

This stat about Stuckey is ridiculous. It’s just an indictment of the team that they’re so utterly dependent on such a limited, unspectacular player.

Aside from him we have no size whatsoever in the backcourt after paying Rip a fortune to play elsewhere, and our backcourt was a raw-as-hell rookie and Ben fucking Gordon. No shit we couldn’t win any games. Joe put together a team that’s constitutionally incapable of winning without Stuckey’s size and strength.

• Feb 21, 20126:31 pm

That is to be expected when you build around a player. Orlando can’t win without Dwight. Cleveland couldn’t without James. Give it a rest. This team is clearly better than you give it credit for if it can win with Stuckey.

Seriously, are you constitutionally capable of having a positive opinion?