DeMarcus Cousins on the trading block, would the Pistons still be interested?

Longtime object of Pistons’ fans affections DeMarcus Cousins has asked to be traded. Here’s part of Kings coach Paul Westphal’s statement, via Inside Hoops:

DeMarcus Cousins has demanded to be traded. In the best interest of our team as we go forward, he has been directed by me, with the support of management, to stay home from the New Orleans game tonight.

The Pistons were rumored to be heavily interested in Cousins before the 2010 draft and reportedly tried to move up and pick him. Cousins also reportedly was interested in playing for the Pistons. Instead, Sacramento kept the pick and the Pistons still got a nice consolation prize in Greg Monroe.

According to Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News, the Pistons could still be interested in pursuing Cousins:

I believe with the #Pistons are monitoring the DeMarcus Cousins situation very closely…

The #Pistons kept close tabs on Cousins last year and no, they aren’t scared off by his so-called “issues”…

Alright … excited yet? The problem, of course, is the Pistons don’t have much to offer the Kings. Monroe and Brandon Knight are probably off limits. Jonas Jerebko, Tayshaun Prince and Rodney Stuckey can’t be included in trades until March after signing new contracts. That leaves next year’s first round pick (which looks virtually assured of being in the lottery based on the team’s play so far) as the team’s best bargaining chip. Perhaps the Kings would consider a package based on that pick, Austin Daye and Will Bynum (his contract expires after the season). I would guess the Pistons would have to include future picks as well since that package is pretty underwhelming, especially if they end up picking near the bottom of the lottery in 2012. The Kings are under the cap, so theoretically they could take back more salary than they send out in a trade, but it’s unlikely they’d want any of the Pistons’ long-term contracts considering how bad those players have played and Sacramento’s current financial state (they’re broke).

Cousins has had trouble keeping his emotions in check in college and as a pro, but as Goodwill points out, that doesn’t seem to be a concern of the Pistons. The reports before the 2010 draft suggested the Pistons, if they landed Cousins, planned to give him a heavy dose of Ben Wallace tutelage and luckily, Wallace (as well as well regarded big man coach Roy Rogers) is still around to provide a stable environment.

So are the Pistons a trade match if the Kings really do move their disgruntled by talented young big man? Probably not, but let the speculation begin. Run wild in the comments imagining a Monroe-Cousins-Jerebko frontcourt.

Update: Via Sheridan Hoops, Cousins’ agent says he hasn’t asked to be traded. NBA players who make public trade demands are subject to fines, so it’s no surprise his agent is denying. But this is a strange story. Cousins has never seemed particularly happy in Sacramento and he and Westphal have never seemed to get along that well, although I admittedly don’t follow a ton of Kings hoops. With as bad as the Kings have been under Westphal, I wonder if the organization would consider a coaching change rather than a player change in this instance? A coach sending out a statement saying a player has demanded a trade isn’t a normal step to take. That usually stays in house and I’m curious as to what compelled Westphal to do that.

• Jan 1, 20128:39 pm
    by Vince

I saw the article online and came straight here for info, tbh I’ve been thinking of this trade since last year, Daye & Maxiell for Cousins seems reasonable but I know that the Kings will want more – or will they if they want to get rid of him?? – Otherwise there still is a three team deal between NJ – DET – SAC where Detroit gets Cousins, Sacramento gets Maxiell and Damion James and New Jersey get Austin Daye, maybe include a few draft picks from NJ and Detroit and I think it should seal the deal.

I’m willing to give up this year’s draft pick to get Cousins, he’s what the Pistons need a dominant Center to put next to Monroe.

If the deals do go through I’d be expecting the lineup to look something like this:

PG – Knight / Bynum
    SG – Gordon / Stuckey
    SF – Jerebko / Prince / Wilkins
    PF – Monroe / Villanueva
    C – Cousins / Wallace / Macklin

I’m putting JJ over Tay because I think he has the better potential at the SF spot and Tay hasn’t been playing well lately. I don’t know about you guys but I think that starting lineup will be a good one, and our bench won’t be too bad either!

• Jan 1, 20128:39 pm
    by Vince

PG – Knight / Bynum
    SG – Gordon / Stuckey
    SF – Jerebko / Prince / Wilkins
    PF – Monroe / Villanueva
    C – Cousins / Wallace / Macklin

• Jan 1, 20128:39 pm
    by Vince

Hmmm sorry for the double post, I’m just that excited!

• Jan 1, 20128:49 pm
    by flip

Im excited too Vince!

This is welcome news after watching the Lions get robbed by the the crooked refs today.

I’d give up our #1 pick in 2012 + Daye. I think thats a fair deal, and maybe the best the Knigs could get. Pistons expected to be a top lottery team in a draft full of great bigs at the top. I dont think too many other projected lottery teams would give up their top pick, and Daye is a nice young prospect to give them as a bonus and to match salaries, and they’d get somebody right now to fill the void to sell to fans.

Some will say why dont the Pistons keep that pick if theres so may great bigs? Well, because its no guarantee that we would get any of them, or where we are even finishing. We might not even emd up in the lotterym you never know. And Cousins might even be better than any big in that draft. He is already a proven elite NBA rebounder at age 21, and no reason to believe his offense and defense cant be elite as well with the right coach.

I hope Joe goes all out and does whatever he has to make this happen, without giving up Monroe/Knight/Jerebko. We could then slide JJ to the 3, and have the best young frontcourt in the league, with maybe the best young backcourt as well.

I think SAC had shown interest in Prince before too last year, maybe either one of Daye/Tay and the #1. If they like Tay, Daye is almost his younger clone. Heck give them both of em, lol.

• Jan 1, 20129:06 pm
      by Vince

If it weren’t for the contract I’d ship Prince, if it weren’t for the size of the contract I’d ship either Villanueva or Gordon, I was initially gunning for the Pistons to go after Jason Thompson as an upgrade but if we can get Cousins thats even better!

Ideally I’d send Villanueva and Daye/Pick for Cousins. Otherwise I agree entirely with you that we would have one of the best young frontcourts with DC – GM – JJ and a promising back court in BG and Knight! So pumped for a trade right now, Joe D better make something happen!

• Jan 1, 201210:59 pm

Can’t see the Kings taking any of Detroit’s long-term deals. They’ve had serious financial problems, so it’s a stretch to think they’d add much, if any, salary.

• Jan 1, 201211:01 pm

“I think SAC had shown interest in Prince before too last year, maybe either one of Daye/Tay and the #1.”

I don’t think the Kings were interested in him, he’s just the bait the Pistons were dangling to try and get them to trade picks. And the only reason he offered any enticement to Sac last year was because he was an expiring deal at the time and the Pistons were allegedly willing to take back a long-term deal (either Beno Udrih or Francisco Garcia) in exchange. With Prince signed long-term now, even if he could be traded before March 1, I would guess his usefulness to the Kings doesn’t exist anymore.

• Jan 2, 201212:45 am
        by flip

Didn’t they off Nocioni at one time for Prince, but we turned it down? I remember something like that, though could be wrong.

• Jan 2, 201210:48 am
      by Brown

You can not be serious, with that starting line-up of JJ at the small forward over Tay. JJ can not create his own shot at all. He is a great hustle player and deserve some playing time, but not starting over Tay. I rather have Daye at the small forward spot. He can create his own shot and match-up problems against other teams. if the Pistons make this trade for Cousins, there is no way JJ would be starting, unless somebody is hurt.

• Jan 2, 201211:05 am
      by Daniel

We need a player like Cousins but I’m not willing to give up a top five pick (yes the pistons suck this year).  This years draft is loaded.  Besides after cousins washes out at the next team that gets him the Pistons could take a shot at him and by then he would have time to machure and we won’t have all of these rediculse contracts on the books.

• Jan 1, 20128:52 pm
    by Shane

I hope they don’t trade a first round draft pick for him… the draft is soooo loaded next year from Anthony Davis, Barnes, etc and even the 2013 draft has alot of potential with Shabazz. I don’t mind them trading anyone or anything other than Knight, Monroe, and the draft picks.

• Jan 1, 20129:08 pm
      by Vince

Think about it, we want to draft a big man with our lottery pick right? If we get DeMarcus we don’t need that pick, we can keep the 2013 pick but I’m all for giving up the 2012 pick if we can get Cousins!

The only ones who should be off limits in my opinion should be JJ, Monroe, and Knight.

• Jan 1, 20129:26 pm
        by frankie d

i certainly would trade daye and max for him but obviously sac town wants more.
        fact is that daye has limited trade value.  as i’ve been writing, playing a young guy like him to help him develop not only helps him but increases his trade value.  now it is pretty low.
        i would not, however, trade a pick next year that is likely to be a high lottery pick.
        i like cousins and would love to have him but i would not mortgage the future for the player he has proven to be.
        i’ve seen sac town play twice this year and he has no chemistry with his teammates.  in fact, it almost looks as though he has regressed.  he still does some eyepopping things, but it almost looks like he is out on the court playing on his own team rather than with 4 teammates.
        it is interesting that this is surfacing because i was really surprised at how poorly he was meshing with his teammates.
        again, a very nice player to have and a nice player to get at a reasonable price.
        sending a young player with talent, a decent rotation player and a potentially high lottery pick when there are franchise big men available, for a guy with serious problems on the court – i don’t really so much care about off court stuff as long as it doesn’t interfere with his play – is too much.

• Jan 1, 20129:37 pm
          by Vince

Are you talking about the 2012 or 2013 draft pick? Either way I’d like to keep at least one, hell both if we can which is why I thought of involving a third team, so we could offer a draft pick, and so could the third party.

And if his on court problems are real I think a few stints with Big Ben and Roy Rogers will turn him into a team player, hopefully. I agree though that if the price is too steep and they’re asking too much then just say no. But looking at how the Kings organisation is treating him right now I’m pretty sure they’ll take almost anything we’ll offer them to get him off of their hands!

• Jan 2, 201212:44 am
          by Sebastian

frankied, WE can’t be afraid to take chance on a “player he has proven to be,” as  you have described.

Remember the last player [Sheed] with an attitude that WE took a risk on. It turned out to offer pretty good results.

And, heck, if it takes offering OUR 1st pick in ’12, then I say do it. Like someone else wrote, if WE are wanting to draft a young center, then why not trade for a young dominate center (Cousins). Besides, he has stated that he would like to play in the “D”.

• Jan 1, 20129:31 pm
        by Shane

@Vince.. I know he is a good big and all but I really think we will draft in the top 3 for the next draft and if we do that means either Drummond, Davis, Barnes.. I really think there are people in this coming draft that are better than Cousins(not to mention we wouldn’t have to worry about the character issue/techs)

• Jan 1, 201210:33 pm
          by flip

How do you know Drummond, Davis, or Barnes would even become better NBA players than Cousins? Or so much better that it would justify the risk of not getting any of them, playing the lottery, vs a sure thing in Cousins right now?

Cousins is just starting his 2nd year, and is already avg 14/11. If not for his poor FG% he’d be a 20-10 guy right now. Thats easily correctable, imo with the right coaching/system, because he was a high FG% guy in college. So he is capable.

So if he gets his FG% improved and becomes a 20-10 guy, are you certain that Drummod/Davis will be better than 20-10 bigs in the NBA, when they haven’t even played a game yet? They both could be busts for all we know.

Cousins is the proven, sure thing. And with Cousins/Monroe we’d have two 20-10 bigs for the next 10+ yrs.

So Drummond/Davis MIGHT be 20-10 guys too, but if you already can get that production right now from Cousins guaranteed, why even risk going playing the lottery, only to end up with the same production? When you might end up getting neither, and left with no bigs.

• Jan 1, 201210:58 pm

“I don’t mind them trading anyone or anything other than Knight, Monroe, and the draft picks.”

The problem is they have absolutely nothing else that would be of interest to a team like the Kings. Cousins has his flaws that have been laid out. But he’s a year removed from being thought of as a top three talent in the draft (he fell for non-basketball reasons). He’s nearly 7-feet tall, he has a legit post game and he’s only 21 and still under his rookie contract. Those things all make him really valuable. The Kings won’t move him for spare parts.

• Jan 2, 201212:22 am
        by Shane

Ofc there is no guarantee.. but I’m fairly certain that they have a higher ceiling as many people have said this coming draft class is the best since the Lebron, Melo, Wade class. Also I’ve watched UK when Cousins was there (I’m a UK fan lol) and I’m watching them now as Anthony Davis is there and Kidd-Gilchrist etc are there and Davis seriously impresses me more than Cousins did. Obviously there is no saying that it will translate to the NBA but Davis’s defense is really good still

• Jan 2, 201212:23 am
          by Shane

Also why would Detroit bring in someone who doesn’t have as high of a character(as is known around the NBA) as they have been touting around saying that they draft and pick up high character players? Doesn’t make much sense to me.

• Jan 1, 20129:12 pm
    by RyanK

I don’t think it makes sense to trade Monroe or Knight, so we really only have the first round pick…would they be willing to take it in trade?  Stuckey, Jonas, and Tay can’t be traded and I think they’d do us a favor to take anything else we have.  Maybe Gordon could be viewed as a trade chip, but he comes with a heavy contract that smart GMs would view as a liability.

• Jan 1, 20129:26 pm
    by Jodi Jezz

Yes we should get Cousins ASAP!..We should trade Daye/Maxiell and our 2012 1st round pick…Or we can trade the Rights to Singler/Maxiell/Bynum and our 2012 1st round pick…Either way Dumars needs to get him…

• Jan 1, 201210:56 pm

What on Earth would the Kings want Maxiell for?

• Jan 1, 201211:03 pm
        by Jodi Jezz

Veteran, inside presence, good attitude…

• Jan 1, 201211:21 pm

His attitude is fine. He hasn’t been an inside presence for a couple seasons now though and he makes a lot of money for a Kings team that isn’t looking to add salary right now.

• Jan 2, 20129:31 pm
            by Ant

Once again… Maxiell is useless!!!

• Jan 1, 20129:36 pm
    by frankie d

again, my concern about cousins is not his temper or his emotional volatility, though that may be an issue somewhere along the line.
    the ironic thing is that he seems to have great instincts – he sees the floor and makes good, smart plays – but at least with sac town, it looks like he is not interested in playing 5 on 5 basketball.
    i watched zach randolph play here in portland and he is 10 times worse than randolph ever was.  it took randolph a long time before he started to do more than get his own numbers.  how long will it take for cousins to come to the same understanding, if he ever does?
    again, nice player, but not someone i’d give up a lot for.
    think about it this way…this is a fire sale, in a sense.  things are not good, he is a player with problems.
    what buyer in their right mind buys damaged goods at regular prices?  or prices that might even be inflated because of an auction?

• Jan 1, 201210:55 pm

“the problem i have is the way he plays on the court.  he is extraordinarily selfish and seems to have little interest in playing a team game.”

You could say that about just about anyone in the Kings’ rotation. Maybe it’s just the environment. Cousins wasn’t a selfish player at Kentucky. Maybe if he was in a more structured system, the selfish play would go away.

• Jan 2, 20123:54 am
        by frankie d

he was not a selfish player, but he was a player who was erratic and prone to emotional outbursts that hurt his on court performance.

• Jan 1, 20129:56 pm
    by frankie d

according to sacremento papers, he asked to be traded twice.

• Jan 1, 201210:03 pm
    by frankie d

from westphal:

remember, westphal has a reputation as the ultimate players coach.  he basically lets guys play their games with little interference.  if he has trouble with westphal, who will he be able to work with.
    plus you can read between the lines.  you can bet that there is a lot of stuff that will never come to light.
    while it is different in lots of ways, the way it is similar to the AI situation and denver is frightening.
    denver was dying to get rid of AI.  they found a sucker in joe d and they fleeced detroit.  i hope the same thing does not happen again.
    again, get him if the price is reasonable.  but i would much rather maintain a shot at drummond and/or davis than bring a recognized head case onto my team for a king’s ransom.
    he aint worth that.

• Jan 1, 201210:23 pm
      by RyanK

If we get him, it will include the first round pick which would be a long shot for getting Drummond or even a top 3 pick.  Sure, we might suck bad enough…but then again we might win 25-28 games and finish just outside of the playoffs.  Then we have a limited draft pick.

There’s risk in everything.  I see your point about not giving away too much, but we are almost certainly not going to get a chance at a player of Cousins potential in the draft.  I say we fly Franks to Sacramento and lock these two in a gym together for 4 hours.  Afterwards ask them both if they can work together.  If they both say yes, throw the dice out there and give it a try.  Just don’t give up Monroe or Knight.

• Jan 1, 201210:53 pm

This to me looks like Westphal trying to force the team to do something by making this public, and I just don’t think that will end well for him. Cousins made it pretty clear he didn’t want the Kings to draft him. They drafted him anyway. He feuded with the coach and there were rumors he wanted out last year. Now this. Of the two, I think Westphal is the more expendable one and he seems to be talking so much on this on his own, not with the organization behind him.

• Jan 2, 20124:00 am
        by frankie d

au contraire…
        westphal appears to have made the statement with the approval of the maloofs.
        if the owners back you, that is obviously a very strong position to be in.
        definitely, this is a power play by westphal, but that makes the situation that more egregious, imho.
        westphal is the ultimate players coach.  he basically lets the guys play up and down with few if any constraints.
        if you cannot play for paul westphal, who the heck can you play for.
        when you combine this fact with his college history, if a huge red flag doesn’t wave in front of you, i do not know what would.
        again, he’s a talented guy, but no way i would invest a lot in him.  especially a possible franchise big man.  that is crazy.

• Jan 1, 201210:59 pm
    by Travis

Both big men in the 2012 class don’t seem to have a problem with being a head case. So I don’t think the our first round pick of any draft should be included while we are lottery bound. As far as him coming to detroit, he did have a private draft workout in detroit and seemed to want to end up as a Piston. Maybe this will help put the trade in our direction.

• Jan 1, 201211:06 pm
    by Maya

“I think it’s time for this solution,” Westphal said. “Like I said in my statement, and again I’m elaborating, there are many, many things that go on behind closed doors in this business that’s nobody’s business. You’ve heard of the cliche ‘the tip of the iceberg.’ This is certainly the tip of the iceberg. You can only have so many chances and something has to be done, and it’s time that something has to be done.” check this out http://www.arsbuzz.com... thanks

• Jan 1, 201211:27 pm
    by Domnick

I want DeMarcus Cousins… He is the need for Detroit Offense inside!…

now, the problem is the Players to be traded… apart from that.. i’d take risks about attitude… emotional or not… i’d say emotional is better coz he can take the best out of himself… its just a matter of handling it in the system…

lets get this guy and play with this guy!

• Jan 1, 201211:53 pm
    by Ryan

Let me start by saying I think the pistons should go after Cousins hard but he is by no means a sure thing. He has apparently worn out his welcome in Sac town in less than a season and a half. What is to say that won’t happen again.  No way the 2012 first round pick should be included.  2013 would be fair game but if I was Joe D I would fight for that to be lottery protected as well.  Look how many “stars” are traded for cents on the dollar when things don’t work out.  Rasheed for Rebraca and a 1st rounder, Pau to the Lakers, Sam Cassel for Marko Jaric, Baron Davis (to the Warriors) for Speedy Claxton and Dale Davis, shoot even T-mac being traded from Orlando.  The point is it all depends on how sick of Cousins actions the Kings actually are and who else is attempting to trade for him.  I would give up any combo of Daye, Charlie V, Max, Bynum, Gordon and picks starting in 2013.  Actually Maxiell + Daye and a 1st round lottery protected pick may not be that bad of an offer.  Maxiell is a “big” in the last year of his contract, Daye is young and a former first round pick and under the ESPN trade machine the Pistons could take back either Salmons or Garcia to free up even more money for Sac Town .  That scenario nets the Kings a lot more cap space which may be more important to them than what they get back in on the court production.

• Jan 2, 20122:29 pm
      by Chris

I’m hanging on to gordon now…he looks like he’s back to his Chicago days. I’m hoping for Bynum and Maxiell to be gone

• Jan 2, 201212:14 am
    by Elliot

This will probably be a very unpopular idea, but what about putting knight in a trade package? It would be a last resort if the the kings wouldn’t bite on anything.  Bigs are much harder to get then Point guards.  Lets be honest too, if there was a Big with the same ceiling and talent level available as knight in last years draft when knight was on the board, I think we would have taken the Big.   Worst case we trade knight for cousins and keep Stuckey and see if he can continue to develop and if not we use are 2012 draft pick to draft a point guard.  We could do a cousins for knight trade straight up, Just a thought.

• Jan 2, 201212:14 am
    by Mike

I don’t understand why Monroe would be untouchable. Monroe is a nice player, but I’d deal him for Cousins in a second and I’d hope Dumars would too.

Of course you’d prefer to not have to move Monroe if possible, but I’d rather they dealt Monroe for Cousins than next year’s first rounder (unless you can get some protection that lets you keep it still if it’s a top 5-7 pick, at least). Monroe will put up numbers in Detroit, but he doesn’t have the size/athleticism to be what the Pistons need him to be (a dominant force offensively). On a good team, it’s hard for me to see him being more than the third best player down the road.

• Jan 2, 201212:14 am
    by Nate

I think the Pistons should do whatever it takes (outside of trading Knight, Monroe, and Jerebko) to get Cousins. I understand that people are nervous about his attitude. One thing that’s being overlooked though (assuming that the reports I’ve read online are accurate) is that Cousins didn’t want to be drafted by Sacramento last season and made it known. He also (supposedly) wanted to come to Detroit. Obviously this doesn’t mean that he won’t have issues on the (off?)chance that he comes to Detroit. But I bet that he will have far few issues in a place he wanted to be than in a place he didn’t want to be.

• Jan 2, 201212:34 am
    by ryan

Is he really an attitude problem? Is Westphal really that stupid to try to force things? How good is Cousins defensively?

• Jan 2, 201212:41 am
      by Shane

He had attitude problems even with Coach Calipari.. Westphal should be Westphail though. He isn’t a good coach.

• Jan 2, 201212:58 am
    by Tim

Ok, first off, we shoudnt care about his attitude, he expressed interest playing with us last year and he would be a good post presence to complement monroe. A package containing daye+maxiell+2013 1st would be a realistic offer. The kings acquire a good young player with a ton of potential, not to mention an expiring contract and a draft pick. To all you complaining about giving away a pick? It doesnt matter, not only will we be getting a proven player, the pick will be protected. If we tank with cousins and land in the lottery, they wont get the pick. Then itll be top 12 protected in ’14, top 10 in ’15 and probably unprotected in 2016. By then we might be good because our young core has evolved and another piece from the 2012 draft, im thinking kidd-gilchrist?

• Jan 2, 20121:02 am
      by Shane

If its protected like that then it would be fine.. I just don’t think giving up a likely lottery pick in the next 2 drafts would be a good idea. I really like the way Davis, Drummond, and Kidd-Gilchrist play defense.. not only that they can score really well

• Jan 2, 20121:07 am
        by Shane

+ I think Cousins is shooting like .35 this year and last year he shot .43 if the site I just went to was correct

• Jan 2, 20121:41 am
      by gmehl1977

Tim I agree that you would have to start off with an offer of daye, maxiell, 2013 1st rounder and 2012 2nd rounder. The only problem is that other teams will surely put together better offers than that. So in all essence we would be relying on the assumption that Cousins wants to play for the pistons. The other thing is that if we do deal the 2013 1st rounder then i couldn’t see us losing enough games to be in the lottery in 2012 or 2013 which i feel could turn Sac off. I feel with a line up of C-Cousins PF-Monroe SF-Prince SG-Gordon PG-Stuckey Bench-Knight, Jerebko, Bynum, Wallace, Villanueva, Wilkins, Macklin we would definitely be in a position to snag a 7th or 8th playoff spot this year. With Monroe in the high post (where he’s comfortable) and Cousins in the low post (where he’s comfortable) there would definitely be no chemistry issues as far as those 2 getting in each others way. I am sure the fact that there are 2 Kentucky alums on the team in Knight and Prince wouldn’t hurt either.

• Jan 2, 20121:00 am
    by Talan

Cousins has potential, but we’re not the proper environment to nurture a headcase. We are a young team with a new head coach that will lose a lot of games this year. We might even finish worse than Sacremento. What’s different here? There is a reason all the blogs are saying that Boston, Miami, or Chicago are likely landing spots. They have a veteran locker room. Looks like he is playing statistically worse this year than last. Still turning the ball over and taking bad shots. Jerebko and Monroe are a promising frontcourt. We finish in the lottery and grab a big prospect who doesn’t ruin our other young players. As a Pistons fan, I say let Cousins destroy someone elses locker room.

• Jan 2, 20121:07 am
    by Tim

Frank may be new to us but hes a veteran coach that knows how to run a locker room. Not only that, but he will have wallace to mentor him and monroe to take some of the focus off of him. He is destroying the kings locker room because he doesnt want to be playing there, he destroyed kentuckys locker room because calipari doesnt know how to handle difficult players. We may lose but with cousins we will win more than we would have and in a year or two could realistically see the playoffs

• Jan 2, 20121:09 am
      by Shane

Really Calipari didn’t know how to handle difficult players? Really

• Jan 2, 20121:14 am
    by Tim

Yeah, hes to busy bitching and whining to help his players. He doesnt know how to handle them, especially players like cousins.

• Jan 2, 20121:17 am
      by Shane

Are you joking? Have you never watched him coach before? How many excellent players have come through him? I’m really astonished by these comments.. clearly someone needs to watch more Kentucky games lol

• Jan 2, 20121:23 am
    by Tim

Yes he is an excellent coach, an even better recruiter and he knows what he’s doing on the court, but in the locker room he’s a selfish little child that throws temper tantrums…

• Jan 2, 20121:30 am
      by Shane

Ok but listen he did tame Cousins better than anyone in the past was able to including his high school coach etc. No one has been able to tame him completely. Also Calipari is an amazing recruiter but most of the recruits he gets are ballhogs/refuse to pass types of players(Hence how their stats are really good in HS). These players come to college and Calipari forces them to play his system. Hence why Kentucky struggled in the first parts of this season since some players weren’t adapting to his system.. this has been the same story for a very long time since he became one of the top recruiters. He molds players to play into his system

• Jan 2, 20121:31 am
    by Talan

Some guys have winning attitudes and some don’t. Age has nothing to do with it. I don’t buy that he wanted to come to Detroit. That’s probably some agent PR spin for the draft. Why would his attitude change here? Frank is not a well respected coach in this league, certainly not more than Westphal. Dalembert was there last year to “mentor him.” Hell, they even hired cousins high school coach to babysit him. Is Sacremento a mess? Sure, but we’re not much better. He’ll do the same thing here. Let him put up big numbers on losing teams. He needs to go to a team where he knows he isn’t the best player and someone can legitimately tell him to shut up and color.

• Jan 2, 20121:46 am
    by Tim

Players are not “forced” to play in his system, recruits come to kentucky because they want to play in his system. And the reason theyre putting up monster numbers is because there talent level is 10 times higher than anyone they were playing with… We are not a good situation to play in but we are miles ahead of sacramento.. There backcourt consists of all selfish players that dont know how to pass, whereas stuckey and bynum have proved to be good distributers, knight has shown alot of promise with passing and even gordon has shown signs of consistent distribution. Not only that but cousins is the only post presence in sacramento, whenever someone plays the kings cousins is the immediate focus inside and he’s locked up. With us we already have greg monroe, a solid big man with lots of promise, that could give us two legitimate post players that could compete with most frontcourts.

• Jan 2, 20121:54 am

Not worth going after Cousins right now. It would require one of Monroe, Knight, and next year’s pick to get him. Given his attitude and the fact that he could also easily walk out on the Pistons, that’s just not worth it. Once players signed this summer are eligible for trade, if the Kings are still shopping him, I’d happily offer just about any combination of Jerebko, Daye, Stuckey, and Gordon for Cousins (I’m assuming by then Gordon would have more value than Salmons who would obviously have to be taken back in a deal including BG). Of course, by then, Stuckey, Jerebko, and Daye will hopefully have given everyone a clearer picture of their value.

• Jan 2, 20122:05 am
    by ryan

I’m a big fan of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist he’d be a great addition in this draft. How is Demarcus Cousins defensively?

• Jan 2, 20122:30 am
    by Domnick

my starting lineup if ever cousins is coming here and trade maxiel, daye, cv plus 2nd round pick….

PG – Stuckey
    SG – Gordon
    SF – Jerebko
    PF – Monroe
    C – Cousins

backup Prince, Knight , Big Ben, Wilkins and Bynum etc…..

the starting lineup looks promising to me… and flexible… and if you ask me why Jerebko over prince.. then i’d say… age matters and this is my solid lineup in terms of offense!

• Jan 2, 201210:29 am
      by Brown

You can not be serious, with that starting line-up of JJ at the small forward over Tay. JJ can not create his own shot at all. He is a great hustle player and deserve some playing time, but not starting over Tay. I rather have Daye at the small forward spot. He can create his own shot and match-up problems against other teams. I would trade Charlie V and Max with a pick for Cousins. The Pistons needs to sign a Vet- Big man as well, like Samuel D.
      Stuckey/ Will
      Gordon/ Knight
      Tay/ Daye
      Monroe/ JJ
      Cousins/ Wallce.

• Jan 2, 201211:28 am
        by domnick

hmmm i would rather have JJ on his natural position as SF… he can guard better on SF than PF as he needs more Bulk on that position…

Daye is also good but really inconsistent.. so i would rather have Prince than Daye this time

• Jan 2, 20122:35 am
    by Domnick

immaturity can be solved…. i don’t fear his troublesome attitude… but he needs close attention and lets think about psychology…

I believe Pistons will benefit from Cousins… he is really the guy we need…. rebound machine.. post player…sooner, he’ll be C-Webb 2.0… so i’d like to have him here…

Then with his Partner, Monroe is a good distributor…so we will be a good team!

i only concerned about Cousins Defense… but offensively.. we are going to be GOOD!

• Jan 2, 20122:50 am
    by Max

Even though there were shadows of this coming in some ways before he was even drafted, I think the Kings organization must be pretty stunned as they must have been thinking in terms of building around him and Evans–with Thornton looking like the real deal right now.
    Given the value of young bigs in this league, I think this will newly impact the stalled Dwight Howard discussions as Sacramento can be a third team in a deal that moves Howard somewhere else.
    Also, looking at the Kings, I can’t see them walking away without getting either a big man back who makes up for the loss of Cousins in their plan or a surefire top pick in next year’s draft.  The trouble is that if the Pistons did retain Monroe, Knight, Jerebko, BG and Stuckey than the addition of Cousins would possibly vault them into the playoffs with no chance at the lottery so that pick could be risky for them.   A lot of national commentators have cast doubts as to the value the minnesota pick that new orleans got in the Paul deal and SAC will probably be sensitive to what Cousins could mean to a team as a lot of teams can say they are one big man away.

• Jan 2, 20124:16 am
    by Pete

Joe should try and see if he could get Cousins..I dont see The Pistons getting a top 3 pick(the team isnt THAT bad) regardless what everybody thinks. And after Drummond, Davis, you have a under sized Sullinger, thin Perry jones and a bunch of wings and point guards. Positions we dont need.http://www.nbadraft.net/ they have the Pistons getting Terrence Ross(another shooting guard..LOL). I think Sac might be forced to give Cousins up for cheap and if he did orginailly want to come to Detroit ..why not atleast try. Him and Monroe with Knight and Jerebrko would be a nice combo of young talent the fans would get behind….

• Jan 2, 20124:21 am
    by frankie d

this is crazy.
    i guess i need to spend more time on fan sites to see how stupid fans get about possible trades.
    cousins is who he is….
    a guy who has had questions about his ability to handle basketball on whatever level he has been on.
    obviously, lots of posters are not familiar with paul westphal.  if you were, you would understand how significant it was that he couldn’t even get along with freakin paul westtphal!
    all westphal essentially asks is that you score.  he doesn’t demand that guys play defense, and he doesn’t demand that players run sets.  all he asks basically is that you put the ball in the basket.   he has to be the easiest coach in the nba.  if cousins has conflicts with freakin paul westphal there is no one in the nba that he will not have problems with.
    geez…get a freakin clue.

• Jan 2, 20124:54 am
      by Max

Well, the way you describe Westphal’s style, makes for a chaotic environment.  Maybe that’s part of the reason Cousins feuds with him, he wants more sets, more plays run in HIS direction.  Not to say if this guy came to the Pistons he’d be an angel or to say that it would be even more chaotic here, but you have to take chances in this game.  Esp when the pistons have dug them selfs in a hole with Gordon and Charlie V.

• Jan 2, 20127:25 am
        by vic

EXACTLY. Thats DMCs main complaint. He needs structure. He wants to play here too. Joe D’s gotta make this happen.

• Jan 2, 201212:38 pm
        by frankie d

i’d love to have cousins here.  and i hope joe d aggressively pursues him.
        obviously he is a very talented player.
        but fans are talking about mortgaging the franchise’s future for a tainted young player who has long been a head case.  that makes no sense.  the trade scenarios – essentially, whatever it takes – are the kind of trades you’d see for akeem the dream, not a kid who could easily become the next marvin bad news barnes or eddy curry or mel dinner bell turpin.
        so, yes, i’d like joe to trade for him, but only at a reasonable price, considering the risk.
        a combo of a couple of players – except for JJ, monroe, knight – and a protected first rounder.  the idea that you would possibly give up a chance at drummond or davis for a head case like him is just crazy.
        there have been too many guys like cousins come and go in this league to pretend that he might not follow along their path.

• Jan 2, 20125:01 am
    by Max

So I would love to get Cousins on this team.  But it wont be for Monroe or Knight.  Prince, Stuck, JJ are untouchable until March something anyway.  So we won’t be able to trade talent for talent in this case.  But I can see the Pick as a value to the Kings.  But even that may be steep.  Maybe they’d want somebody like Austin Daye (which I’d give up in a second) alongside the Draft Pick.  So 2012 pick and Daye for Cousins, I’d do it…..  But I would also try and make them take on Charlie V’s contract as a first offer.  So Charlie V, Daye, 2012 pick for him.

• Jan 2, 20127:30 am
    by vic

I’d give Daye, CV, plus a protected 1st rounder for Cousins.The fact that he wants out and the coach is sitting him out is leverage. The fact that he always wanted to play here is leverage.Daye and CV fit with their offense, and can spot up shoot with Reke’s drives & kicks.Maybe we get another team involved to get them a quality big. anyone on our roster is available other than JJ, Knight, Monroe. I’d say top 10 protect it this year, maybe top 5 protect it next year, or unprotect it next year.

• Jan 2, 20128:13 am
    by Marvin Jones

If you protect the pick then the Kings will lose interest real fast, it’s no use to them if it’s not in the lottery and probably high in the lottery, Cousins was a #5 pick do you really think they will put a high value on a top 5 or 10 protected pick, I don’t.

• Jan 2, 20128:33 am
    by neutes

If it costs this year’s draft pick no thanks. He would have to come cheap. He’s not going to be a long-term answer as long as he wants to be a jump shooter, and I’m not sure how you’re going to get him to quit taking shots.

• Jan 2, 20129:40 am
    by Steve K

I think the trade offers of either Maxiell and CV need to stop.

Why on earth would the Kings take on Maxiell’s $5M this season and $5M player option for next? Or CV’s $24M for the next 3?

The only Piston commodities that would entice the Kings are Monroe, JJ, Knight, and the 2012 pick. It doesn’t make a ton of sense to trade Monroe or Knight at this point. And JJ’s salary might be cost prohibitive for Sac. So they’re likely looking at the 2012 pick.

And I suppose Sac-town might be enticed by the sweet-shooting Austin Daye and his low salary, especially since they’re not rich with small forwards. Joe D could offer Daye and the 2012 pick and probably get the deal done. Of course, my guess is that Joe would rightly protect that 2012 pick if it’s top-3. Perhaps even top-5. I bet Sac-town would bite for the 2012 pick (top-3 protected) or 2013 pick (unprotected). The Pistons will likely be picking top-7 in both of those drafts.

• Jan 2, 201210:21 am
    by Brown

@ VANCE…. You can not be serious, with that starting line-up of JJ at the small forward over Tay. JJ can not create his own shot at all. He is a great hustle player and deserve some playing time, but not starting over Tay. I rather have Daye at the small forward spot. He can create his own shot and match-up problems against other teams.
    Stuckey/ Will
    Gordon/ Knight
    Prince/ Daye
    Monroe/ Charlie V
    Cousins/ Wallace
    This is the best Line-ups for the Pistons… JJ can fit in some where but not starting at the small forward.

• Jan 2, 201210:21 am
    by Jay

I was 110% in favor of a trade when I first heard it and like most of the people here I;d go for it.  Daye, Bynum, a protected 1st round pick in 2012 and…..?   Heck, if I could finagle Maxiell into it somehow I’d be willing to give up a 2nd rounder in 2012 too just to unload his $5 million for 2012-2013!

There is a very tiny chance we get to draft 1-3 and could get Drummond.  If we do, protect it!   Otherwise, we couldn’t get a big of Cousins size and talent any other way next year or over Cousins remaining 4 year contract.   If he actually wanted to be in Detroit before and Detroit actually wanted him, this may be just what both parties need-a win win.

We will be using the amnesty next year on CV.  Maxiell is garbage, oops I mean one of the best Pistons ever (don’t want to kill his trade value).   The Kings would be lucky to get Maxiell as he is a machine!  HOF baby!

If the Kings want some additional potential, add in Macklin and/or Singler.  Both would be redundant in Detroit anyway assuming the trade went through.

Knight/Stuckey
    Gordon/Stuckey
    Prince/Jerebko
    Monroe/Jerebko
    Cousins/Wallace (1 more year as a big coach)

Bye Daye, Bynum, CV, Maxiell, and Wilkins!

• Jan 2, 201210:53 am
    by gmehl1977

I am very interested to get Lasers take on all this. I could imagine he would offer up Dumars and a bag of potatoes for Cousins. If Sac turned us down then he would extract the offer of the potatoes and say just take Dumars for nothing as the final offer.

• Jan 2, 201211:13 am
    by neutes

Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact Cousins sucks. I don’t get it. Only a fool would give up a first rounder for him. Just what I want – a center that turns it over 5 times a game and shoots worse at the rim than Stuckey. Sounds like a real winner, and that’s ignoring the fact he’s a nutcase. I wouldn’t give up anything more than CV or Max and a 2nd rounder, and then pray that they actually turn that down because I don’t want him at all, but I suppose I’d try to deal with him if he could be had for that.

• Jan 2, 201211:32 am
    by domnick

right now, we can say he sucks… he acts like a child or whatever… but with proper handling… we can get real value on it..
    he has talent.. thats all i can say.. if you are all looking at attitude then… i can say… just grow up… but the upside is already there…. he has smarts… but immature… then so be it!… we just have to be the Best Teacher… and better handler than SAC!

• Jan 2, 201211:33 am
    by Tom Y.

As someone who was very pro-Cousins before the 2010 draft, I’m now very happy we got Monroe instead. And though I was hoping to add him beside Monroe, his behavior makes me wonder if the Pistons could contain him. This is no longer the steady, positive culture Rasheed came into eight years ago. It’s a team just starting to build a new culture after several disasterous years, where the positive influences are either too young to teach him new ways (Monroe, JJ) or too old (Ben must be less influential in his reduced role than he was at his prime).
    I’d give up some minor pieces for the risk but certainly not next year’s lottery pick.

• Jan 2, 20121:43 pm
      by Shane

Same. I was a huge fan of Cousins coming into the draft but now I’m not so sure. + If Dumars were to trade for him it would go against what he has said in the past about bringing a positive culture to the Pistons and focusing on bringing in high character players.

• Jan 2, 201211:34 am
    by Sebastian

Some cobination of Daye and OUR 2012 Pick or Maxey and OUR 2012 with the Rights to Kyel Singler has to be offered.

For several reasons, including Cousins helps to refine OUR roster placing everyone in their correct positions, as already stated.

Placing, everyone their proper positions makes US a more competitive and serious team to follow.

Gores is an Events/Entertainment tacoon. Did any of you see the Palace filled at 10% capacity during the second home game of the season, in the game versus the Pacers, Saturday night.

Gores has to sell tickets and acquiring Cousins, while using OUR 2012 pick is a very reasonable attempt at securing a Center, who is young and who wants to play in the “D”.

Do it Joe, restore your name!!!

• Jan 2, 201211:46 am
    by Gregoire

He´s a second year Pro, you can´t say that he sucks just because he plays in a bad environment…there is a reason why he was projected the second best talent in his Class, I think the Pistons should go after him and see what Sacramento is demanding and if the price is reasonable then go and get him. For me personally I don´t think he´s worth a unprotected First-Rounder considering the Pistons will likely be high in the lottery for the next couple of Years. Does anyone know what other Teams may be interrested in Cousins and what they could offer?

• Jan 2, 201211:57 am
      by neutes

So you’re saying that the environment makes him suck and not that his suckiness makes the environment? Sounds like a reach to me.

• Jan 2, 20128:22 pm

I agree to some extent, but look at what else is going on in Sac. Evans declined significantly from rookie year to year two, just as Cousins appears to be doing. Jason Thompson hasn’t gotten much better after a promising rookie season. Omri Casspi declined from year one to year two there.

Cousins is certainly culpable for his poor play and for his immaturity, but I wouldn’t completely discount that the instability of the organization has had a negative impact on young players there too.

• Jan 2, 201212:11 pm
    by Scout

After reading some of the stuff coming out, I don’t want to touch him. He’s been thrown under the bus by his coach AND his teammates. Chuck Hayes said that he pretty much needs to babysit him at all times to prevent him from freaking out.
    Dude is a cancer and I don’t want the Pistons to have anything to do with him.

• Jan 3, 201212:09 am
      by Matt

Ditto that. The Stones already have a nice core of smart, energetic young guys. Even if they aren’t the most talented, they seem to be coming together and this dude would probably rip this locker room apart, all over again. Not remotely worth the risk.

• Jan 2, 201212:23 pm
    by Jakob Eich

I don’t see a package Detroit has to offer that Sac-Town would be even remotely interested in! There is just no trade value on this roster right now. Unless we can convince them to make a horrible deal this won’t work!

• Jan 2, 201212:44 pm
    by demarcus cousins

Could have been big things from the Kings this year. To bad demarcus cousins is demanding a trade. maybe he will change his mind and continue playing for the kings. Now that we have Jimmer it could be a special season and a unexpected playoff run for the kings and demarcus cousins. http://demarcuscousinsseekstrade.blogspot.com

• Jan 2, 20122:54 pm
    by Kyle

I can see Joe trying to make this trade AT ANY COST because he is essentially trying to save his job, in my opinion.  I think he figures if he cant make a splash this year, Gores will let him go, so if he has to leverage the future to land an “immediate impact player”, it will save his job.  I dont see us being able to offer enough to land him (aside from giving up Knight, Monroe, a couple first rounders) nor would I want to give up what it would take to get him.

That being said, I still could see Joe floating out wayyyyy too much, but in the end, there are several other teams in this league that could offer more and need his services ASAP for a playoff run and would be willing to put up with his character issues.  Boston is the #1 team that comes to mind….

• Jan 2, 20124:24 pm
    by Russell C

Give up next year’s pick with only a number 1 protection. What I’ve seen so far from the Pistons is other teams are still running layup drills while the Pistons still settle for jumpers late in the clock. Just keep Cousins from drifting too far outside the lane like he does at times. Make the deal but Joe is damned if he does and it doesn’t work out and damned if he doesn’t and Cousins goes somewhere and becomes an All Star.