Ben Wallace to retire after season

Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated:

Ben Wallace still getting some burn in Detroit. Ben told me before the game tonight this would be his last year. Great career.

No big surprise. Ben Wallace’s contract ends after the season, and he considered retiring this summer. And there were rumors the previous summer he’d retire. And he actually planned to retire the year before after the Suns bought him out.

He’s had a great run – most of it with the Pistons – but eventually age catches up. At 37, Wallace isn’t the player he once was, even if he’s still effective.

I’m certainly going to savor these last 59 games with Wallace, one of the greatest Pistons of all time.

• Jan 7, 20121:51 pm
    by Max

I was glad he came back this year at least and didn’t let it appear to anyone that he was retiring over the stupid arrest.
    DONG! DONG!   Big Ben was awesome though I wished he never signed with the Bulls.

• Jan 7, 20122:15 pm
      by labatts

I am glad that he came back simply to get rid of the bitter taste from last season.  Thankfully, that won’t be the last we remember of him.  Its amazing what a competent coach can do for the organization.  Wallace knows his role and is embracing it – as is the whole team (with the exception of a few benched players).
      Glad to see him go out like this.

• Jan 7, 20122:06 pm
    by Laser

Well, that seals it. Anything the team does to vainly try to improve itself next season takes a significant hit. It would be almost impossible to replace his defensive presence and basketball savvy. Why are storylines like this so gleefully ignored by people who think this organization is on a serious upswing?

• Jan 7, 20125:04 pm
      by KK

Tank the season. Fire Dumars

• Jan 7, 20122:08 pm
    by C-Foe

“Big Ben was awesome though I wished he never signed with the Bulls.”   @Max, I couldn’t agree with you more.  I’ve hated when any “good” Piston signed with the Bulls (Rodman, Salley, Ben, Rip).
    Regarding Ben,  all good things must come to an end.  I’m glad he is retiring wearing a Pistons uniform.  I wish more players had his work ethic.  He was the perfect example of “Hard Work pays off.”

• Jan 7, 20123:11 pm
      by leonelreo

Oh, yeah. Those ones hurted badly. Gone with the enemy. I can’t forgive them.

• Jan 7, 20124:24 pm
    by TheFantasyPulse

This has been coming for awhile, but it will still be tough to see one of my favorite players of all time hang it up.

• Jan 7, 20124:54 pm
    by Dell

They should keep him as a “defensive coordinator,” he’d probably be a great coach.

• Jan 7, 20125:06 pm
      by KK

I actually really like that idea, kinda like Patrick Ewing for Dwight Howard. I think people in the locker room respect Ben Wallace, and Greg Monroe definitely has that ability to mold himself into a pretty decent rebounder–I think he could still learn a thing or two from Big Ben.