Austin Daye among the NBA’s biggest disappointments

Kevin Pelton of Basketball Prospectus ranked the players who have fallen furthest below their preseason projection, and Austin Daye came in fifth:

Daye is suffering through a perplexing slump from the field. He’s missed all 14 three-point attempts this season and hasn’t been a whole lot better inside the arc, shooting 33.3 percent. As Rob Mahoney noted last week, Ben Wallace vocally encouraged Daye to keep shooting rather than trying to take the ball to the hoop. Such forays are largely responsible for Daye’s turnover rate more than doubling in the early going. Daye’s projection hasn’t fallen off as much as the players ahead of him because he’s played just 140 minutes after nearly 1,500 last season, a sample more than sufficient to indicate Daye’s true skill. It’s seemingly a matter of him finding his confidence, but nobody knows when that might happen.

One more note from Pelton, who previously ranked the players who’ve surpassed preseason projections (No Pistons were included.):

You might look at this as the more depressing half of the series, but I actually see it the opposite way. For the most part, these players cannot possibly continue to play as poorly as they have, which is good news for their teams.

• Jan 25, 201212:39 pm
    by sebastian

Should have drafted Ty Lawson!

• Jan 25, 20122:56 pm
      by Laser

ABSO     LUTELY

• Jan 25, 20124:16 pm

Or Holiday. Or even Collison, Blair, or Gibson. But hindsight is 20/20.

• Jan 25, 20121:57 pm
    by Piston87

I don’t want to give up on Daye but his play this year has been some of the worst I’ve seen from a non-rookie NBA player, and I don’t think that’s an exaggeration.  Based on performance he should never see the floor and be sent to the D-League.  However, he obviously is pressing and as much I want him to show some mental toughness and get out of this slump I don’t really believe he has it in him.  Which means Frank is going to have to keep force feeding him minutes to get his “confidence” up.  Although, playing him more may just further decrease any value he has.

I don’t by the argument that the coaching staff is not using him correctly, either.  He’s getting the ball in solid spots against players he should be able to shoot over and is doing nothing.

More then physical toughness I want players that are mentally tough.  Something a coach can’t develop.  It has to come from within and Daye only has a little time left to prove it or we need to dump him while he still has trade value.

And agreed, we should have drafted Lawson.  Hindsight is awesome, now Joe D just needs a time machine to go with it.

• Jan 25, 20122:22 pm
    by Max

If they had drafted Lawson, they wouldn’t have Monroe.

• Jan 25, 20122:55 pm
      by sebastian

Max, I may get pounded for typing this but, Monroe ain’t all that, yet.

• Jan 25, 20123:03 pm
        by Laser

God knows what Max thinks at any time about any subject. I don’t even want to think about it. What he just said is that Ty Lawson would have been a better pick, one that would have netted us enough wins to jump ahead in the 2010 draft. And he thinks it’s good that we didn’t do that. It’s scary.

He gleefully ignores the fact that it’s a matter not of having Ty Lawson or Greg Monroe, but rather Ty Lawson plus our 2010 pick (let’s say Ed Davis) or Daye and Monroe. OH AND WAIT, having Davis instead of Monroe would likely have cost us some wins (Max doesn’t like wins!), so SHIT look at that… last year we might have had a shot at a Derrick Williams or Tristan Thompson type!

So yeah, Sebastian, you basically missed all the stuff that was wrong with what Max said. Reading his posts will give you lupus.

• Jan 25, 20124:20 pm

Monroe may not yet be all that, but I’d take him over Lawson. Especially for this big-deficient roster. And heck, I might just take Monroe and Daye over Lawson/Holiday and Davis. But that’s not the point, you do always wanna get the player available and sort things out later.

• Jan 25, 20126:56 pm
      by Piston87

Lawson was the 18th pick in the 2009 draft, after Austin who was the 14th.  Are you saying that Lawson would have improved the Pistons so much as a rookie that we wouldn’t have the drafted high enough to get Monroe in 2010?  Ha!

I think the comparison was to say the Lawson should have been our pick in 2009 not Daye. And to that I completely agree without thinking about what could have happened the next year.

• Jan 25, 20122:34 pm
    by Scott

L.A. Lakers get= Austin Daye & Will Bynum
    Detroit gets= Luke Walton & their own 2012 1st round pick

Ive heard many Laker fans talk about this trade possibility but, as a Piston fan, I’d gladly except this deal as well. Time for Daye to move on.

• Jan 25, 20123:04 pm
      by Laser

Mmmmm yeah I kinda like that. Love to dump Daye and pick up some assets. God knows the kid isn’t going to get a chance here as long as Frank and Dumars are DEAD FUCKING SET on the absolute maximum number of wins at all costs.

• Jan 25, 20123:48 pm
        by Scott

I would like to thank Daye, however, for helping me keep my shower drain clean for the last 2+ years now.

• Jan 25, 20129:39 pm

Are you implying that he is so skinny you use him to clean out your drain or that you jerk off more when the Pistons are winning?

• Jan 27, 201212:38 am
            by Scott

Uh, which do YOU think it is? Pervert!

• Jan 25, 20124:20 pm

Since when does LA have Detroit’s 2012 first rounder?

• Jan 25, 20125:32 pm
        by Scott

No, we would get the LAKERS 2012 1st round pick(remember, Lakers also have Dallas’s pick from the Lamar Odom trade)

• Jan 25, 20129:40 pm

you said “Detroit gets… their own first round pick”
          hence the confusion

• Jan 25, 20123:10 pm
    by Laser

The word “disappointment” gets thrown around all the time when describing this team. Disappointment describes the difference between expectations and reality. A quick overview of his career trajectory (Drafted to the Pistons of all teams as a project small forward, buried behind a glut of perimeter players for his first season and even more so his second, then he gets a quick hook when he struggles in his third year, and he won’t get a chance to play through it because his head coach and GM are obsessed with maximizing wins at all costs to the future).

So yeah, he’s maybe a mild disappointment, but he came to the league’s worst team in player development. He was a project from the start. He never had a consistent role or consistent minutes, flopping in and out of the rotation. None of this spells a recipe for success, and I never would have drafted him in the first place. EVER. So if you consider him a truly colossal disappointment, your expectations were WAAAAY too high.

• Jan 25, 20124:22 pm

Well you gotta forgive some readers for getting confused after reading what Langlois writes. Not everyone has figured out what a crackpot the man is.

• Jan 25, 20124:24 pm

listening to detroitpcb may be a little less forgivable, but also a possible explanation for finding Daye a colossal disappointment. Plus there was his strong preseason. Which I think is what made him seem a huge disappointment to Pelton.

• Jan 25, 20128:04 pm
    by Max

I like wins very much but Monroe is the best big man the Pistons have drafted since Bob Lanier and if they had picked 9th instead of 8th, I doubt they would have landed him and it’s a miracle he was there at 8 at all.   The league is full of promising young point guards but there is an absolute death of big men.
    And btw: I wouldn’t trade Monroe for Lawson and Ed Davis right now.

• Jan 25, 20128:05 pm
    by Max

And it’s not about which was a better decision. Obviously, Lawson is much better but I’m just saying that I’m happy it worked out the way it did because I wouldn’t trade having Monroe.