Unverified Rodney Stuckey twitter account tweets about wanting out of Detroit

There is some danger in citing Twitter accounts of celebs if they aren’t verified, and this one for Rodney Stuckey is not verified by Twitter. But in October, Jonas Jerebko‘s account, which has been confirmed as the real Jerebko, tweeted this:

follow @himon1 the real Rodney Stuckey RT’ it

Pistons.com writer Keith Langlois follows the account, and I assume he wouldn’t if it was a fake. Pistons beat writer Vincent Goodwill has also retweeted that account in the past, so I would lean heavily towards it being a real account. And if anyone can confirm whether or not these are Stuckey’s feet in the picture the account tweeted, then I think we can say with certainty that it’s him.

So, anyhow, this account which may or may not be Stuckey offered the following Tweets tonight (screen-grabbed because I assume they might get deleted or someone will pull the ‘my phone was hacked card’).

On wanting a fresh start:

In response to a fan:

Retweeting a fan’s comment to him about the (sorry) state of the Pistons:

Earlier today, Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press tweeted that Stuckey and the Pistons were not close on a contract. Stuckey was also clearly unhappy at times last season, although it’s not clear if that was a result of John Kuester’s coaching or the organization as a whole. If those tweets are really Stuckey’s, it makes sense. He essentially has no leverage if he truly doesn’t want to be in Detroit. He could take the qualifying offer, play this year for the Pistons and become and unrestricted free agent next year. But doing that risks injury or his value going down before he’s signed a long-term contract. If he gets an offer sheet elsewhere that isn’t astronomical, the Pistons will likely match, in which case he’s stuck in a place he might not want to be long-term. So an option for players in that situation is often to simply try and convince the organization that they’re so unhappy they should just let them go. I remember a few years back when Charlie Bell of the Bucks signed an offer sheet with Miami and begged the Bucks not to match. They did because Bell (at the time) had some value and they didn’t want to lose him for nothing. The Pistons are in the same boat with Stuckey. Whether or not he’s still in their long-term plans, and I would bet heavily that he might not be, they’re certainly not going to let a young player who, if he signs a contract that is fair, would be a potential trade chip down the road.

And again, just to stress one more time, there’s a slight chance that this account isn’t Stuckey’s despite their being some fairly credible and ample evidence that it is. The Pistons just jettisoned one player who didn’t want to be here earlier today in Hamilton. If Stuckey does, in fact, want to play elsewhere, the Pistons should oblige him.

UPDATE: I just read Keith Langlois’ recap of today’s practice. Joe Dumars spoke with reporters afterwards. I thought this was pretty funny considering what transpired tonight:

Dumars said he would resume negotiations with Leon Rose, agent for restricted free agent Rodney Stuckey, late Friday night. He said there is “always the possibility” that another team would throw a large offer sheet at Stuckey, but he displayed little alarm that negotiations would grow acrimonious. “It’s Stuck’s first negotiation,” he repeated a few times, shrugging his shoulders.

Obviously.

• Dec 9, 20118:43 pm
    by Joe Dumars

Can’t they do a sign and trade?

It seems Stuckey would like to go to Portland.

• Pingback

Dec 9, 20119:06 pm
    by Pistons Offseason - Page 7

[...] [...]

• Dec 9, 20119:08 pm
    by neutes

So I’m not entirely familiar with the restricted process, but let’s say stuckey signs a contract with another team and the pistons match, does he have to take the pistons matched offer or can he revert back to the qualifying offer if he has to play for the pistons? What i’m getting at is can he actually hurt himself by seeking other offers seeing as how he wants out? He could always take the qualifying offer and bolt next year, but once he accepts an offer from another team is he basically stuck? Anyone know this?

• Dec 10, 201110:55 am

He has to take it. He has already signed and accepted the deal.

• Dec 9, 20119:11 pm
    by Andre

That’s Stuckey twitter acct.  He should have thought about his contract year when he was causing problems last year on the team.  He didn’t play his best until the last month of the season to prove a point, which to me is a slap in the face to the fans and the team.

He’s a decent player that need to mature as a person.  He has the skills to be great if his head was screwed on correctly.

• Dec 10, 20117:42 am
      by detroitpcb

Tell me how Stuck caused problems? by wanting to win? by ignoring a stupid fool of a coach?

the Pistons need to resign Stuckey and pair him with Knight and they need to get rid of Gordon and Hamilton

• Dec 9, 20119:14 pm
    by qm22

Andre, how was he causing problems? Please be specific. I’m tired of people saying he is immature or a trouble maker, when for all the criticism he takes, he never threw anyone under the bus.

The fact is Stuckey (unlike Prince and Hamilton) never had public statements or public reports of “causing problems” or insulting the organization.
    Saying he played well in the last month to prove a point is simply hilariously wrong. You might fit that to your point about him being a bad person, but he played better because he had more minutes and was given reign to play a different style.

• Dec 9, 20119:23 pm
      by Andre

He refused to go into a game twice last year.  He was part of the mutiny against Kuester and at the end of the season he made comments about the coach getting fire.  He was changing Kuester plays and ignoring him while he on the floor.  If that is not causing trouble and acting immature than I don’t know what is.

BTW, he was the starting PG he had minutes, but he felt he didn’t have to listen to the coach.  Unfortunately, I think Tay/Rip spear headed this. Facts are Facts!  Stuckey is a good player but he has some growing to do.

• Dec 9, 20119:38 pm

Refused to re-enter a game against the Bulls on Rodman jersey retirement night with most of the Bad Boys greats in the building:

Several reported clashes with coaching staff behind closed doors:

Publicly ignored coach against the Hawks and got benched:

I’m not saying Stuckey was always to blame in these instances, and he’s certainly dealt with incompetent coaches for three years now, but it’s fair to say he’s behaved immaturely at timies in the past.

• Dec 9, 20119:42 pm
        by qm22

Sadly, Stuckey gets blamed for “mutiny at shootaround”, “refusing to reenter games” with horrible reporting. It was verified that Stuckey was unresponsive to Kuester during a FT and as for the “mutiny”, there is no credible evidence for that. ESPN reported the mutiny as a false report, local media reported the mutiny based on unnamed and ambiguous “information”. Stuckey had little incentive to join in a “mutiny” supposedly led by Hamilton. It is funny Stuckey is made out as some sort of ringleader, while Austin Daye and Wilcox missed shootaround too but everyone believes their reasons.
        As for changing Kuester’s plays, is that serious? It happens to far better coaches than Kuester, it is the NBA. As for comments about the coach getting fired, I surely think everyone believes he wanted that, but I don’t know what you are talking about.

• Dec 9, 201110:08 pm
          by Andre

You can believe what you want, but obviously nothing anyone is going to say is going to be good enough for you.  I want him back for the right price, but as you can see no other teams are beating down the door for him.  He has an ego/attitude problem that need to be corrected.  A contract year is the wrong year to be uncoachable when you are not a superstar.

BTW, these reports came from local sources not the national media.

• Dec 9, 20119:26 pm
      by omar

Wasnt he suspnded twice by the team for poor conduct?

It was always after he was suspended that he’d come back with big games. Proof to me that he had the talent but just didnt care enough. You dont want a player who needs to be punished just to motivate him to play his best.

I dont see why the Pistons would match now, if he doesnt want to play here. But that could use that as a negotiating tactic with another team to pull off  a S&T.

• Dec 9, 20119:15 pm
    by Andre

He’s restricted which means if someone offer him 5 mil the Pistons can match it and he has to go to the Pistons.

• Dec 9, 20119:47 pm
    by gmehl1977

Has anyone thought to check if any other players on twitter are following Stuckey? That should pretty much show you if the account is legit.

• Dec 9, 201110:04 pm
      by gmehl1977

I just checked Charlie Villanueva‘s friends list and he is not following @himon1. If the king of twitter isn’t following him then its a good chance its not real.

• Dec 9, 201110:09 pm

Well, it could just mean those two aren’t friends. The team was full of factions last year.

As I said in the post, if Keith Langlois is following it, I would assume it’s really him and Jerebko follows it and tweeted to his followers in October that it’s Stuckey. So unless there is a conspiracy here that involves a fake Jerebko account stumping for a fake Stuckey account, I would lean towards real.

• Dec 9, 20119:57 pm
    by John

I think we’re making too much out of this tweet. New begininng doesn’t have to mean move, he could have just meant a fresh start, I wouldn’t want people holding the boycott againist me forever or some poster being a prick because he thinks the pistons got rid of Billups because of me. If stuckney was hell bent on moving he wouldn’t even be talking with pistons.

• Dec 9, 201110:14 pm

Well, here is another interaction between a fan and Stuckey:

“@GGuice @HimOn1 blazers?”

@HimOn1 @GGuice I would go ASAP”

Also, Vincent Goodwill tweeted this:

I think Vince Ellis and Vincent Goodwill must think there’s a good chance it’s him or they wouldn’t be mentioning the account or retweeting. If they knew it was fake, they would ignore. It still could turn out to be fake, but as I said in the post, there is ample evidence that this is his real account.

• Dec 9, 201110:47 pm
        by Andre

That’s Stuckey!  I’ve been following that acct right after he made it.  I found his acct because of Jonas J.  He interact with NBA players and teammates from that acct.

• Dec 9, 201110:04 pm
    by qm22

I am wondering if anyone knows if Stuckey was at practice for training camp opening or does he get held out as a RFA?

• Dec 9, 201110:48 pm
    by Paul M

He’s always thought more of himself than he’s shown. If you want evidence that he’s not mature (past last season – and yeah, if you think he wasn’t a problem, there isn’t anything anyone can say that’s going to convince you – look at how he’s handling this. Here’s a guy who, if he works at it, might be good someday acting like he’s a hot commodity. No leverage is right, and if he doesn’t realize that he’s got some growing up to do.

I love the Dumars quote. ”Yeah, he doesn’t realize that these aren’t the droids he’s looking for yet…but young Lanewalker will learn.”

• Dec 9, 201111:04 pm
      by qm22

You *might* be right but Stuckey always guarded himself from the media (“no comment”) until tonight, and there never was much hard evidence against his character besides moderate disputes with Kuester. The largest indictment of his ego to me was his sophomore season when he put up so many bad shots. With NBA reporting it is not wise to make character judgments based on incomplete and unverifiable evidence. NBA reporters (not this site of course) tell us the lockout is almost over(!!) back and forth every night, that LeBron is going to NY/Chicago, etc etc.
      Anyway I think Patrick is completely right that the Pistons should seek to move him if he does not want to be here. It seems he does not although an improved season might change that (new coach/role/etc).

• Dec 9, 201111:21 pm

I think there’s an important distinction that needs to be made: I don’t think Stuckey lacks character. I just think he’s acted immature at times. He can overcome immaturity, most of us do at some point. It’s hard to overcome a lack of character.

And something else that occurred to me talking to Dan Feldman earlier tonight: even if he tweeted these things, it still doesn’t mean he necessarily wants to leave. As I said in the post, he, like all restricted free agents, has no leverage right now. Teams know the Pistons are likely to match any offer, so that means teams probably aren’t bidding all that seriously. This could simply be a way to take back some leverage to either make the Pistons sign and trade him to a team that will pay him closer to what he wants or to try and force them to up whatever they are offering.

• Dec 9, 201111:41 pm
    by sut

I’m ready for him to have a new beginning too….  because he has sucked as a Piston.  I’m ready for Will to not be stuck behind a heartless clown.  I’m ready for the turds that made a mockery of the profession last year to get gone.

• Dec 10, 201112:42 am
    by ryan

I think it’s time to look long and hard at a sign and trade scenario or two but before I do that let me just say how disappointing it is that Darko Milicic turned into Rodney Stuckey who turned into this bullsh…

Any way we need to find a team that needs guards and has bigs Utah immediately comes to mind. Who else is out there?

Also just saw David West to the Celtics they’re making some incredible moves right now and looking like they’re serious about one more title.

• Dec 10, 201112:53 am
    by omar

So I wonder what Joe D meant by those comments to Langlois.

Do you think he’s aware of Stuckey’s tweets, and is just shrugging it off as a player frustrated going through his first negotiations?

Or was he letting Stuckey know, ‘you can pout all you want, but we’re matching any offer and keeping you here anyways’?

Then, saying its his first negotiation, as if to say ‘your pouting tactic isnt going to work on me’?

idk how to take those comments from Joe

• Dec 10, 20117:16 am
    by Trever

I don’t think it’s him.  He has less than 1000 followers.  Seems fake to me.  Also, why wouldn’t he have a pic of his face?  FAKE.

• Dec 10, 201110:10 am

I can’t conclusively say that it’s real, but if it’s fake, why would a teammate’s real account tell his followers to follow it if he didn’t know for a fact it was real? And why would the Pistons.com beat writer follow the account without a strong suspicion that it’s real?

You’re right though, the biggest evidence that it might not be real is the lack of followers, but I still don’t think that’s enough to conclusively say it’s fake based on the other evidence out there.

• Dec 10, 201111:10 pm
        by Trever

True, but like the comment above about how Charlie V isn’t a follower of this account.  This so called stuckey account is following Charlie V’s account.  Doesn’t add up.

• Dec 10, 201112:39 pm
      by sut

“I don’t think it’s him.  He has less than 1000 followers.  Seems fake to me.  Also, why wouldn’t he have a pic of his face? ”
      because he’s not smart enough to figure out how to upload one?

• Dec 10, 20112:34 pm
      by bball4224

Maybe he doesn’t have any followers because nobody likes him. Just a thought.

• Dec 10, 201110:02 am
    by ACR

I agree with the sentiment that this is probably no more than a negotiation tactic by Stuckey, or just another example of immaturity, and I love the response by Dumars if he was in fact aware of the tweets when he commented on the negotiations last night (“whatever kid”).

Secondly, I’m always surprised at how many of the posters here say “Stuckey sucks” or “get rid of Stuckey and let Bynum play.”  It’s one thing to not like the guy’s attitude or game, but the dude was the best player on our team last year (with apologies to Monroe) – 15.5 ppg, 5 apg.  His PER was 18.5 – good for 11th in the entire league for point guards (even if he is more of a combo guard).  He may not have become the “star” that many wanted, but he’s a pretty damn good player.  Bynum’s value comes as a 20-25 minute change of pace guy off the bench – he would not be effective as a starter.

• Dec 10, 201112:21 pm
    by frankie d

for once, joe should handle the departure of a player, strategically, instead of using the seat-of-the-pants method he appears to typically employ.
    sign stuckey – let him find an offer and then match it, if need be – play him as the starter at SG or 3rd guard and then ship him out at the trading deadline.  if he is used appropriately, he’ll maintain or enhance the market value he has now and joe should be able to pick up a nice asset in return for a guy who has lots of admirers around the league.
    i just hope joe doesn’t do his typical dump job – delfino, amir, afflalo, etc – and get nothing in return for a  player with some upside.

• Dec 10, 20111:07 pm
      by Youssif

For once? Dude, he flipped Grant Hill’s bum ankle into Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins! The three guys you listed weren’t even guys who necessarily asked to leave, but were traded for other (indefensible in the case of Afflalo) reasons.

ryan’s quote depresses me though.. we turned the Darko pick into this. We could have Carmelo now. Or D-Wade. Instead, we’re stuck with an ungrateful player who Joe D put a lot of confidence in to lead the Pistons into a new era now whining about how he wants to leave because the situation he was given the reigns over to control has thus far turned out poorly. Hopefully we can flip him into a legit starting center/forward. Maybe let him walk, amnesty CV and sign a guy like Nene. Who knows? I still had faith Stuckey would be The Guy in Detroit. Not after this..

• Dec 10, 20111:11 pm
    by Youssif

Stuckey for Greg Oden? Take a (major) gamble and, if it doesn’t work, we only have him for a short season?

Let’s be honest, there aren’t too many ways Detroit will land a major superstar outside of the draft. Let Arnie Kander have a crack at him — No risk no reward!

• Dec 10, 20111:38 pm
    by DrRam

A Fresh Start! Doesn’t always mean a new place/job. You can have a fresh start at your current one.

• Dec 10, 20117:52 pm
      by qm22

Yes-but when you take into account his other tweets there is a 90% chance that is what it means. Some Piston fan tweeted something about wanting Stuckey to be gone to him and he replied he agreed. Maybe that is just because of the nature of the rude tweet to him he did not bother to clarify, but it certainly would normally indicate wanting to leave.

• [...] does Stuckey want to come back? That’s a little less clear. There is an unverified Twitter account, @HimOn1, contending to be Rodney Stuckey. Reporters and [...]

• Dec 11, 20118:44 pm
    by bob bayer

And Stuckey was also the one of the players who were laughing their butt off when Q got tossed out of a game .. So .. yeah … he hasnt exactly had a good attitude .. But neither does our GM .. who never disciplined those players publicly in public incident ..

• Dec 15, 201112:38 am
    by Mike

Yeah but no one like the coach last year so….what does that say about stuckey.  That means in his forth year he wasn’t Chauncy Billups and a leader yet.  People need to stop exspecting that.

• Dec 15, 20117:18 pm
    by coach k

a scoop for yall, Rodney will sign the 3.85 one yr extension this weekend in hopes to go to greener pastures next yr (not for the money but the love of the game/organization).

• Sep 5, 20129:58 am
    by Anton Maritato

Nicht kompetent, nur schlechte Erfahrungen mit EK Systems GmbH, Mozartstraße 92 Klagenfurt, Anton Brescak.