Pistons reportedly re-sign Rodney Stuckey for three years, $25 million

Yahoo!’s Adrian Wojnarowski:

Rodney Stuckey has agreed to a 3 year, $25 deal to stay with Pistons, league source confirms to Y!

Well, Stuckey got his $8 million per year, albeit for only three years as opposed to the five he was reportedly offered. Last night’s game showed the Pistons clearly need him, particularly defensively. Hopefully he’s motivated and continues to improve. If he does, this won’t be a bad deal for the Pistons. If he doesn’t, it won’t be a great deal, but at least it’s not five years.

Also, Mike Payne gave the move an interesting grade at DBB and Justin Rogers breaks down Stuckey’s tenure with the Pistons a bit at MLive.

• Dec 17, 201112:19 pm
    by domnick

There is alot of catching up to do… but im positive about Stuckey… he has good size to defend guards… so i really want him to play….

but now here’s the question… who is the Leader of the Pistons? is it still BG, or Will Bynum.. or Stuckey? for me.. I’m just saying… Stuckey needs to improve and be the star player…

We will be a good team…. i hope all is well after this signing!

• Dec 17, 201112:25 pm

I hope Stuckey puts the leadership stuff aside. Stuckey has said before the last two seasons that he plans to lead, be more vocal, turn into the go-to player, etc. It hasn’t materialized for him. I’d prefer he just focus on improving his game. That’s what would help the Pistons most. Leadership will take care of itself without guys anointing themselves as leaders the way Stuckey has in the past.

• Dec 17, 20117:48 pm
        by detroitpcb

This is a great deal for the Pistons. In three years we will know Stuckey’s value. No potential talk then. Meanwhile we pay him fairly so that he is happy and not disgruntled. It was genius to make the offer for 3 years. Give Joe some credit for an excellent move.

• Dec 17, 201112:33 pm
    by sut

Last night showed me that there is young talent on this team to play *good* (maybe “okay” or “functional” would be more appropriate) but I couldn’t help but think what a difference the veteran addition of Tay and Stuck would have made to what we were watching last night.
    Tay and Stuck will help immensely on defense and I sincerely hope Frank lets Stuck and Will loose as slashers.  Both can get to the rack and with an up-tempo offense constantly collapsing we’re going to see a smaller team helped out with fouls and open opportunities for what is a strong perimeter shooting team.
    I was pissed at Stuck for being such a punk ass last year but I officially let that go with this signing.
    I hope Frank gives us a chance to see Stuck at the 2 especially when/if BK’s star takes off like I think it will.
    GO PISTONS!

• Dec 17, 201112:34 pm
    by acr

good deal – despite how much hate he gets from posters on this site, we need stuckey.  hopefully frank will be a able to guide him to better use his skills this year on both ends of the floor.  and, in the worse case scenario, the contract is more tradable than a 5 year deal would have been…

• Dec 17, 201112:46 pm
    by sut

good (basketball) and collapsing (defenses).

• Dec 17, 201112:48 pm
    by Jacob

Yeah if last night is any indication, we could definitely use Stuckey on this roster – particularly defensively. If it doesn’t work out, if he’s still immature, or if Knight progresses rapidly and BG gets back to his old self in Chicago (doubtful imho) then the short term deal is tradeable. All in all I think it’s a pretty fair deal for both sides.

• Dec 17, 201112:58 pm
    by BIG MARV

Good move because like I said they needed his slashing style of scoring and that will help on Brandon Knight’s growth cause he will have the athletic SG he needs that will run the court with him

• Dec 17, 20111:03 pm
    by Piston87

OK move by me, I was having nightmares of a Bynum/Gordon backcourt.  I’m sure they’ll go with Stuckey/Gordon to start the year but I think Gordon will show that he’s finished.  You don’t drop in production like he has and recover.  Going forward I’m fine with Knight/Stuckey backcourt (Knights outside shooting will compensate for Stuckey’s and they can take turns driving). Prediction: Gordon get’s amnestied next Summer.

• Dec 17, 20111:14 pm
    by gordbrown

This is good news on a couple of fronts. First Will Bynum will never ever never be a starter on a good team. I think he is an OK off the bench player, but that’s his ceiling. Knight is realistic a year away from being a starter and the Pistons like to carry three points at any rate. More to the point, the Pistons are well under the luxury tax line with their full mid level exception to add size and Stuckey’s signing means they can now focus on that. Or trade Maxiell and something else for a project would work for me. But clearly, adding Stuckey, Prince and Wallace to that team last night would have won. Unfortunately, Cleveland is not much of a test as they suck real bad.

• Dec 18, 20115:46 am
      by Sebastian

gordbrown, OUR next move should be to trade Maxey straight of for Thabeet.

• Dec 17, 20111:30 pm
    by Laser

Ok so he was sorely missed last night, but the team has no shortage of holes. I wonder if there is any plan whatsoever to add a skilled big body at some point on the next decade…

If the organization has a shred of common sense, Stuckey isn’t our starting point guard ever again. We have two capable point guards and two shooting guards, including him. I think Ben Gordon probably has to come off the bench forever and be our fourth guard until we can be rid of him, so Knight and Stuckey should probably start together. Bit I don’t want to hear a word about them being used interchangeably; Stuckey shouldn’t be allowed to run the offense ever again. Also, this roster still needs a major overhaul. BH and CV need to be replaced with something useful. Somehow.

• Dec 17, 20113:34 pm

Stuckey and his agent should be begging and pleading for him to be classified as a PG and looked at exclusively as a PG. The only reason he’s possibly worth $8 million a year is because he has the ability to play both guard spots. If he becomes a permanent SG, and that seems to be the plan since Knight is the future here, it’s going to torpedo his value unless he finally adds a reliable outside shot, which everyone has been waiting on for four years.

If he’s a shooting guard only, them players like him are not all that uncommon in the NBA — low efficiency scoring off guards with who don’t have great range. His size made him an intriguing PG prospect, so if the team doesn’t at least use him as a PG for long enough stretches to keep teams convinced he could maybe play there, it will hurt his value.

• Dec 17, 20114:58 pm
        by D_S_V

I understand your reasoning of why he’d have more value at the point guard, and if that is the overwhelming feeling around the league, then why did we just sign him for 3 yrs $24 million? Is this just another dumb move placing another underperforming player in front of young talent that needs playing time to develop? I watched the game yesterday and it’s obvious we’re devoid of talent, but it seems like Knight is already playing behind Bynum, so adding Stuckey just adds another obstacle to court time. It’s not like Stuckey puts us “over the top” – that’s quite obvious – so why did we just do this?

• Dec 17, 20115:05 pm

I think the Pistons realize the Stuckey at PG experiment has run its course, but they’re also in a tough position because he still has too much value/upside to just cut their ties and let him walk.

This is kind of a compromise deal. Detroit probably didn’t want to pay him that much per season, Stuckey probably wanted more years. But this way, he’s not so severely overpaid and locked into that a team more in love with his skillset wouldn’t be scared off from trading for him. His contract isn’t a huge burden/albatross like the ones Hamilton/Villanueva/Gordon and maybe Prince received.

• Dec 17, 20115:54 pm
            by D_S_V

How realistic do you think the Qualifying Offer situation was? And how do you think that changes his trade value? I’ve heard the argument that teams wouldn’t want to trade for a guy on a one year deal, or at least that they wouldn’t be as likely to give up as much if they know they’re only getting the rest of the year guaranteed. To me it’s possible, but not guaranteed that Stuckey will play at a level worthy of this contract, but on top of this it seems like in order for Stuckey to do that, he’d have be taking time away from Knight.

I agree, it was definitely a compromise; I’d much prefer this contract than the one he turned down and I’m sure Stuckey prefers this money to the qualifying offer. However, I’m moving closer and closer to thinking why not just throw Knight into the fire right away? It’s not like this is the NFL and he’s a rookie quarterback, and watching how guys like Rose, Wall (premature still, I admit), Rondo, Holiday, and more have benefited from starting soon in their careers, I say why not Knight? It’s not like we’ll be contending, and I think Knight’s development is more important than vying for the 8th seed. And I’m on your side for sure – I don’t see Stuckey earning his money (and increasing his trade value) at the 2 spot. Considering all that, I don’t see how we can properly develop Knight and not be over paying Stuckey at the same time.

• Dec 17, 20116:37 pm
            by Piston87

He doesn’t need to be the starting PG, but he can provide better minutes at PG than Bynum and allow BG and Stuckey to be on the loor at the same time.  He’s not a great PG but he has shown he can run the point effectively for stretches.  He is not an SG or PG, he’s a combo guard and should be played like it.  Without Knight he’s you’re starting PG because you’ve got nothing better.  But with Knight, he starts at SG and slides over to PG when Knight comes out and BG comes in.  Bring Bynum on for spot minutes.

• Dec 17, 20117:52 pm
        by detroitpcb

Nonsense Patrick. There are not a lot of combo guards like Stuckey in the league. Not with his body and ability to muscle people on the drive and with his attacking mentality combined with his speed. Stuckey is worth 8 million as a primary 2 guard who can slide to the one when needed even if he doesn’t have the best three point range in the league. And i expect that element of his game to improve under Frank.

• Dec 17, 20118:19 pm
          by Laser

I sort of agree with this. Yes his highest upside is at the 1, but he has shown a near-total lack of adeptness at the position. And when your point guard can’t run the offense and doesn’t make his teammates better, you just can’t play him there. He’s probably best suited as a third guard, instant offense off the bench, in the style of Jamal Crawford (the way we used Stuck in his rookie season). He’s a big strong scoring guard, and he’s probably worth something like $7 million a year, give or take a million. But when you’re a natural scorer who doesn’t do anything particularly well besides score the ball, you can’t be trusted to run the offense.

• Dec 17, 20118:24 pm
            by Laser

Oh and also it stands to reason that his shooting accuracy, range and ability to finish at the rim are easier to improve upon than his court vision, passing and playmaking. Because his skill and instinct is to score the ball, not to set his teammates up.

• Dec 18, 20116:32 am
            by Jakob Eich

You are forgetting that Jamal Crawford is a dynamite scorer, Stuckey isn’t! Stuck is a much better defender than Crawford, but in my opinion still not a very capable defender. You cannot play Stuckey at the 2 if you dont believe in his ability to make shots. His shooting is often compared to D-Wade’s (similar form, arch) and even Wade with all of his great gifts cant knock down the jumper consistently. Stuckey would be a poor man’s Wade at the 2, at the 1 he is a poor man’s Billups; he has similar physical gifts, but he lacks the skill set. Maybe with Frank he will explode, I can see that happening. Coaching is really important to PGs, so maybe hell be better this year, after all, we dont have anything else to hope for.

• Dec 19, 20112:04 am
            by Laser

The Crawford comparison is about the role I see him playing, that being instant offense off the bench. Put the ball in his hands with the second unit, let him push the pace, force some fouls, get to the line. I think he and Bynum are a pretty exciting backcourt. I don’t know if I can say the same for Gordon and Knight.

In my estimation, Gordon is the biggest problem here, especially since it really looks like Daye’s best position is at SG. A perimeter rotation consisting of Knight, Stuckey and Tayshaun with Bynum and Daye coming off the bench (plus the added flexibility of Jerebko getting minutes at the three) looks good to me. I’m not really sure what Gordon is even doing here. It’s insane to pay $13 million for a streaky shooter who’s turnover prone and can’t defend either position. Dude’s going to be our highest paid player by a wide margin (making nearly twice as much as anyone else), and I’m honestly not sure what he’s doing here. Now that the amnesty clause has taken some dead money off the books, Gordon’s got to have one of the worst contracts in the league.

• Dec 19, 20117:36 am
        by detroitpcb

justin rogers has a story on mlive today and in it he reports that Frank has Stuckey running at the 2 guard

• Dec 19, 201111:10 am
          by Jakob Eich

So he puts faith into Knight! I like that! I think we should give Knight the chance to excel, because Stuckey probably won’t! Gordon’s contract looks really bad right now, I agree with that, but when Dumars gave him the money most thought he overpaid him a little bit, yet they believed he could develop into a great offensive player for the Pistons. I do see Gordon working perfectly for a team like Boston, a team which doesn’t rely on him, but also likes to have is occasional scoring boost. I think Dumars wants to see how Gordon develops this year, if he gets any better and if he can trade him. If all of these things are a negative he will amnesty Gordon and we’ll go forward from that!

• Dec 17, 20111:53 pm
    by Ant

As much as I don’t like Stuck, I noticed myself missing him too lastnight! lol I feel better about the 3 year contract than the 5 year that was mentioned earlier in the week. This is a time to prove yourself to all the pistons fans out there that you belong in a pistons uniform because were not going away, even though our teams not so hot right now! WE looked bad lastnight with all the turnovers and missed shots so hopefully he helps us out in that department as a 2 gaurd and Not at the point. To me, he still deserves to start ahead of Will because after seeing Knights potential him and stuck might just work! Im still not seeing a playoff apperance this year because its short but thankfully we have a weak confrence outside of Miami, Chicago, NY, and Orlando. Next year with another quality lottery pick we should be in the hunt for those last 4 spots

• Dec 17, 20112:06 pm
    by kamal

I don’t like it.  I was hoping that they let Stuckey walk.  To me, he’s more effective at the 1, and he’s not a very good one.  He doesn’t control the tempo, recognize mismatches, make the nice entry pass, or put his teammates in their proper spots on the court.  And that little surge he had at the end of the year was cool, but people forget that Bynum and McGrady were hurt so Stuckey was playing the entire second half of games.

At the 2, I cringe at the thought.  Stuckey was God awful last season at the 2 and he’d be giving up his height and strength advantage going against opposing shooting guards.

I hope he serves as a third guard off the bench.

• Dec 17, 20113:36 pm

“I was hoping that they let Stuckey walk.”

He’s one of their only players who has any trade value. They couldn’t afford to let him walk.

I do agree though that he’s not great shakes as a shooting guard. He’s no point guard yet either, but he still has potential at that position. I don’t think he has much potential to be anything more than an average shooting guard because of his lack of shooting ability.

• Dec 17, 20118:34 pm
        by Laser

Three years ago I was horrendous at basketball and took grandpa shots and was an embarrassment, but I worked at it and now am a decent shooter (good not great). And the more shots I take, the better I get. It’s way more realistic to expect his shooting to improve than for him to suddenly develop a skillset he’s shown no natural ability for.

• Dec 17, 20112:22 pm
    by Jazzman

Great now that Stuck is in the fold maybe Santa Dumars can find a way to get a defensive big. After watching last nights game we sure could use one.

• Dec 17, 20113:39 pm

Those don’t go on trees. Not many teams that have one want will let them go all that easily.

• Dec 17, 20112:40 pm
    by leonelreo

New owner. New season. REbuilding… A new era:
    JD:
    REsigned Prince
    REsigned Stuckey
    REsigned Jerebko
    Did NOT used amnesty clause (Gordon? Villanueva?)
    Did NOT sign a Center
    So… all the new era limits to… bringing Wilkins and parting ways with RIP, Wilcox and McGrady.
    Nearly the same roster that finished 23th last season. So, this season we could finish… 22th? or 24?

• Dec 17, 20113:38 pm

Just because they didn’t use the amnesty yet doesn’t mean it won’t be used. Honestly, who do you use it on? There are good cases for both Villanueva and Gordon. It made much more sense to not use it and hope that one or the other has a good enough season to trade. Then if it doesn’t happen, you can still use it on one next offseason.

• Dec 17, 20114:40 pm
        by neutes

Judging from last night, and well, the last 2 years, nobody is going to want CV. I’ve been for Gordon getting the amnesty simply because of the size of his contract, but CV is so useless that I think he’s gotta go. He’s hard to watch. Problem is that it’s not going to buy enough cap space to do anything with it so he’s stuck here. Then again, I’m not sure when there’s going to be cap space again. Do we even have a free agent next season? Bynum? Wallace? Then you add contract escalations and rookies on and your not getting anywhere. This team might be the exact same team for the next few years other than draft picks.

• Dec 19, 20113:19 pm
          by Max

Who needs cap space?  No free agent worth more than the exception has ever or will ever sign with Detroit anyway.

• Dec 19, 20113:31 pm

Well, cap space does give more trade flexibility too, like being able to take back more salary than you send out.

• Dec 17, 20114:40 pm
    by Micah Wels

This gives a chance for Stuckey and Knight to grow and hopefully together.  But the bigger eyes are going to be on BG and CV to see if they are worth their end this year.  Really hope JJ gets it going because we need him.  And of course a big.  Is Kris Humphris too big of a risk to call his name??  I still think we have a good chance at the 7 or 8 spot in the playoff.  Remeber the coach has them working mostly on  D in practice.  91 points isn’t bad, it showed there lack of offense practice though.   They will get there

• Dec 17, 20114:45 pm
    by Daye and Knight

Since we have Stuckey locked up for a couple of years why not package Daye/Gordon for Josh Smith? Atlanta misses Crawford off the bench and Gordon can fill that role plus Daye is still young and can take over as their starting SF, meanwhile we get somebody we can pair up next to Monroe and block shots are starting lineup would be:

PG-Knight
    SG-Stuckey
    SF-Prince
    PF-Smith
    C-Monroe

We would make a serious push to the playoffs and have a pretty good defensive team, something coach frank is all about

• Dec 17, 20116:29 pm
    by ryan

This does seem like a good deal for Detroit. He’s a useful piece and now a moveable one as well. I hope we can start Stuckey and Knight and play Gordon his thirty minutes as well. ideally Ben Gordon will put up numbers and make himself a trade asset for a deal like the one for Josh Smith mentioned above, hopefully a better deal though.

• Dec 17, 20116:30 pm
    by vic

cons- guard situation is clogged again, daye  wont play as much at his natural position, unless Frank really has some guts to sit someone.     pros- stuckey can play better D    hope – stuckeys only hope is to play like he did once late last year and become a drive & dish pg like Rondo

• Dec 17, 20117:00 pm
    by Scott

I’m just gonna throw this Minnesota/Detroit trade idea out there, now that we have Stuckey locked up:

Minnesota gets= Ben Gordon & Austin Daye
    Detroit gets= Michael Beasley, Luke Ridnour, & Nikola Pekovic

• Dec 17, 20119:47 pm
      by Mike Payne

Minnesota would be bat**** crazy to consider that.  We send them an expensive pair of crappy players for three well-priced players who are superior in talent?

• Dec 18, 20115:38 pm
        by Scott

Well, to be serious, these ARE the same T-Wolves that almost traded their franchise player Kevin Love for an over-the-hill Pau Gasol only so he could mentor Ricky Rubio(ie; I wouldnt count on their people being the sharpest knives in the drawer lol). But quite frankly I think it’s at least worth looking into.

• Dec 18, 20115:40 pm
        by Scott

Or we can just go with my plan B: Gordon to Utah for Okur & Miles(heck, I’m at a point where I’m ready to swap BG for a bag a chips)

• Dec 17, 20119:23 pm
    by ryan

I’d do that in a heartbeat as long as we cut Ridnour or better yet get them to include Anthony Tolliver and Wayne Ellington since they’re moveable assets. But my question is why would Minnesota do it.

• Dec 17, 20119:32 pm
    by Max

Is Brandon Jennings a point guard because he averaged less assists last season on a team where it was probably easier to pick up assists.  Is Stuckey a great general…….of course not, but neither are 75 percent of the starting point guards out there.   He turns the ball over less than most of them and he’s been averaging a little over 5 assists on a team with no good scorers other than Ben Gordon who hasn’t been able to shoot.  He’s also better than most point guards defensively and while he has lacked consistency I have seen him outplay Chris Paul and dominate Derek Rose—i think Stuckey’s highest scoring game was against Rose, anyone?  His size creates problems for some of the best players in the league and I think we still haven’t gotten to see what he can do while playing full time point guard in a reasonably stable situation with a reasonable expectation of the role he should play.  So far it has been chaos around him and mostly not his fault, but that of veterans with huge egos like RIP and AI.

• Dec 17, 20119:55 pm
    by Ryan

Hopefully Knight, Stuckey, Jerebko/Daye and Monroe can be the core for a long time. Anything nice out of Singler in the future would be icing.

Daye is the key here though.  He could just end up being blah.  Or a borderline All-Star. No one really knows.  I hope is given minutes to show whether he can produce.

• Dec 17, 201110:15 pm
    by damian

if we sign a couple decent d-leaguers;  a round shouldered big, and a guard with some semblance being a pure point guard, i could live with that.
    it doesn’t take too much to make the playoffs in the eastern conference, and even being first round fodder would be helpful to our younger players.

stuckey and gordon are probably the starters, but my gut tells me the pistons’ best bet is to just throw knight supposedly bright brained ass in there and watch him go a la stuckey a few years ago.
    knight, with stuckey complement each other in the backcourt;  one provides better passing, the other slashing. one finishes better at the rim, one finishes along the permiter better.

• Dec 18, 20112:19 am
    by alex

I didn’t read all the comments but has anyone mentioned/realized that in three years the pistons will have the option to let gordon, charlie v, and stuckey walk and clear 30 million in cap space?

• Dec 18, 20116:34 am
      by Jakob Eich

Cap space is overrated, I’d rather rebuild via trades and draft. You won’t lure a big free agent to a dysfunctionate Pistons team. Id trade CV and Stuckey for one or two expiring contract in a heartbeat, but I don’t think we’ll get that in return …

• Dec 19, 20112:09 am
        by Laser

Yeah, remember the last time we let $30-some million walk? Joe used that cap space on Gordon and Villanueva. Nobody wants to play here, so cap space is especially useless to Detroit.

Expiring contracts always have value, perhaps especially now that there’s a new CBA. And at the very least, a guy like Stuckey is going to have serious trade value for a good long time. Letting someone like him walk for nothing would be insane.

• Dec 18, 20117:51 am
    by Sebastian

Folks, It may be time to take a second look at some of the decisions that you has been fortunate to either make on his own or that were no-brainers.

Over the last three years, while WE have wondered in the NBA wilderness, Joe has assembled a starting roster of an average age of 23 years of age:

PG- Knight (20 years old)
    SG- Stuckey (25 years old)
    SF- Daye (23 years old)
    PF= Jerebko (23 years old)
    C- Monroe (22 years old)

He can then come off with the veteran aged players: Tay (SF/31), Ben G. (SG/28), Charlie V, (PF/27), Big Ben (C/PF/38), Macklin (C/26 year old rookie).

WE should also move Maxey to the Rockets for Thabeet. Thabeet could be a part of the youth movement.

Thabeet is stronger. Has a more balanced posture, more erect. Sets pickers more definitively. Changes ends faster.

• Dec 18, 201110:09 am
      by domnick

I don’t like Thabeet at all.. i would rather aim at Greg Oden… and let Kander work his knees…

Oden is good defensive player.. and also has the potential to become better than Andrew Bynum…

• Dec 18, 201110:11 am
    by domnick

Stuckey can be a good point guard… but he needs a good coach… he really has a potential to lead and to become a playmaker… its just that we had past coaches who aren’t able to provide those things to Stuckey…
    I think Stuckey will be better with Coach Frank… and also its like his second life… he will be better this season!

• Dec 18, 20112:01 pm
      by omar

who cares if he can be a good PG, when Knight can be a great one.

We didnt draft Knight 8th overall to be Stuckeys backup for the next 3 yrs. And I’m pretty sure Joe didnt sign Stuckey for the 3 yrs for that reason either.

Stuckey is best off the ball anyways. So why force your top pick into being a backup, just so you can put another player, in Stuckey, in a position that he’s not at his best, at PG?

Thats like a lose-lose scenario.

On top of it, Gordon, who is not a starting-caliber SG, is also forced out of position into being a starter. All to compensate for allowing the Stuckey-PG-experiment to continue on. Give it up, Stuckey is NOT our PG anymore, he’s our SG.

Knight/Stuckey
      Stuckey/Gordon

Is the perfect rotation, and the only one that’ll work. No need to go back to a backcourt – Stuckey/Gordon that we’ve already seen proven to fail.

• Dec 18, 20114:30 pm
        by Sebastian

omar is right as a 90 degree angle. The backcourt is straight.

WE need to deal with the center spot, now. And here’s what WE should do: Move Maxey and the rights to Kyle Singler to Houston for Thabeet and Terrance Williams.

Move Ben G. and Charlie V. to Utha for Jefferson/

Then WE become a serious part of the discussion.

• Dec 19, 20112:10 am
          by Laser

Who’s going to provide the drugs to these other GMs to get them to bite? You know a guy??

• Dec 18, 201110:13 am
    by domnick

this is my starting lineup..

PG-Stuckey
    SG-Gordon
    SF-Prince
    PF-Jerebko
    C-Monroe

Off the bench will be Brandon Knight, Big Ben, Wilkins, CV..

• Dec 18, 201110:47 am
    by Eric

Pistons need to get better defensively, all the moves Joe D is making is a sign of that, Stuckey and Prince have been resigned because of their defense, and Knight is going to be an above average defender at the point in the leauge.  They just need to get rid of the dead weight defensively, Gordon, Villanueva, maybe Daye unless they think he can play SG he won’t be that much of a liablility.

Best starting lineup based on defense

PG Knight SG Stuckey SF Prince PF Jerebko C Monroe

Unless they are able to pull a trade off, this is their best lineup as it stands today.

• Dec 18, 20112:21 pm
    by danny

I agree. And I actually disagree about Stuckey having the potential to be a good PG. If he hasnt gotten it by now (which he hasnt), then he never will. You dont play basketball for as many years as he has and suddenly show you can play PG’ either you have it, or you dont.

I expect Knight to start for us (and addressing an above leadership ?), develop quickly into our young leader. First thing you look for in a leader is work ethic, and it seems Knight is already our hardest worker; nobody follows a so-so worker. Stuckey just needs to become the solid consistent scorer we all know he can be.

• Dec 18, 20114:02 pm
      by gordbrown

Question. Can anybody be a good point guard on a team that stands around because they don’t know what their supposed to be doing on offense? This is a serious question. Twice I was watching out of town broadcasts last year and both times the commentators said and I quote “the Pistons don’t seem to know what their doing on offense.” Those were also among the games where Stuckey was sidelined by thuggish Carmelo Anthony. Also I’d be interested to note what Stuckey’s stats were like if you eliminate the four games he was ineffective (two coming back from his shoulder injury and two others after he missed games due to illness.)

• Dec 18, 20118:13 pm

4 games of stats will have virtually no effect on one’s averages over an 82 games season (assuming you play 60+ games).

• Dec 18, 20119:28 pm
    by Domnick

well my point is… Stuckey had some double double numbers last season… double digit assists, double digit scoring and getting to the freethrow line often.. and sometimes rebounding

who else can play double digit assists? maybe brandon knight but its a work in progress.. we haven’t seen him play in a regular season yet.. and he’s learning on the fly.. so i guess its not gonna be an easy way for knight… our expectations should be set on stuckey first before Knight.. coz this kid is still learning and it should be a work in progress….

so Stuckey PG or Not, but he can play both…. and he just needs to develop CONSISTENCY and MATURITY! thats what he needs to become a better player!

• Dec 19, 201112:37 am
      by Daye and Knight

Knight is our future at the PG position…I “admire” your love for Stuckey but Stuckey belongs at the SG position or off the bench (which is where yahoo currently has him) I would like a Stuckey/Knight back court because Stuckey is a slasher and takes it in, meanwhile Knight can hit from distance as shown in his college days and his 1st preseason game. Knight has the tools to be a nice PG to build around and since we’re not going anywhere no time soon We should see what he has to offer at the position. Stuckey doesn’t need to get in the way of that and hopefully he wont. I’m a Stuckey fan too and I love the idea of a Stuckey/Knight back court it would be fun to watch

• Dec 19, 201112:51 am
        by Domnick

well since you are knight and daye then.. i’ll rather see you guys off the bench and let Stuckey and Gordon be on the starting lineup..

same thing for Bynum..

and if possible… lets try 3-guard formation.. like the SAC King Reke, Jimmer and Thornton

• Dec 19, 201112:56 am
          by Daye and Knight

Gordon was BORN to come off the bench, he has no defense, Stuckey on the other hand has pretty good defense and thats what coach frank is all about. Knight has some defense as well although he could use some work he’ll be better defending guards than Gordon would be. Sac Town only rolled with that rotation because Salmons was hurt but it was a nice offensive lineup nonetheless.Daye would make an interesting SG cause of his size and he wouldnt have to defend down low which is one of his week points, but I still rather have a Stuckey/Knight back court anyday of the week…twice on a Sunday

• Dec 19, 201112:58 am