Kyle Singler says Pistons were disappointed he decided to stay in Spain

Via NBA.com, Kyle Singler talked about his decision to stay in Spain:

Moving to the Spanish capital has given Singler the chance to play in the Euroleague, where he debuted Wednesday and scored eight points in 24 minutes in Madrid’s 101-83 win over Partizan.

Singler said the Pistons were eager for him to return.

“I haven’t talked to them very much but when I decided to stay I know they were a little disappointed,” Singler said. “But I wasn’t really focused on that. I was making a decision that was best for me.”

In the past, the Pistons have encouraged second round picks to play overseas. But that was when the team was contending and the roster was full of veteran depth. Heading into this season, the Pistons had no aspirations of contending and actually had potential holes on the wing with Tayshaun Prince and Tracy McGrady entering free agency. I don’t know how much Singler would’ve played this season, especially in light of the fact that Prince was re-signed, but I think the team was clearly hoping to have him around as at the very least another option in case Austin Daye doesn’t prove capable of handling a larger role in the rotation.

• Dec 15, 201111:16 am
    by Murph

Singler is another guy that’s not too eager to play for the Pistons.

Has anyone noticed how we went from being a premier franchise that played in 6 straight ECFs, to being a perennial loser that our own players don’t even want to play for (let alone any big name free agents)…almost over night?

• Dec 15, 201111:41 am
    by Sean

I forget, what big-name free agents wanted to play in Detroit during their premier franchise days?

• Dec 15, 201111:51 am
      by Murph

Are you intentionally missing my point, or are you just dense?

Let me make it as simple as I can for you:

Has anyone noticed how we (are)…a perennial loser that our own players don’t even want to play for?

• Dec 15, 201111:58 am
    by Steve K

You’re both right.

Even during the heyday, no big name FAs wanted to come to Detroit. Joe D did pluck McDyess, who resurrected his career here, but that’s about it.

And, yes, it sucks that not even the Pistons’ own players want to play for them. Singler would rather play outside the NBA than play for the Pistons. Not a good sign.

• Dec 15, 20119:03 pm
      by gmehl1977

I am not buying that he didn’t want t play for us. I think a lot of it would of been that he was offered better money to play in Spain and guaranteed court time. In all essence i think the move will work out better for himself and the pistons.

• Dec 15, 201112:02 pm
    by jeremy

Detroit has never been a big-name free agent destination. To me though, that is what makes the championships that this organization has won even better. Screw all the divas and superstars that feel the need to join forces to win a ring. When has this team ever been about THE 1 player? The superstar? You know, the only player that is allowed to shoot? The three championship banners hanging in the rafters are a sole testament to fundamentals and TEAM WORK, not the big name free agent. Was Billups a big name free agent when he signed here? Ben Wallace a big name when he was brought here? The only one out of that team that had any star power was Sheed and he deflected it as much as he could. Stuckey wants to be paid and that is his sole reason for not signing yet. He thinks he is a star, is that guy, is on the level of Wade, Williams, Paul, Kobe.

Singler made the smartest decision he could at the time for himself and the organization. He gets experience playing in a competitive league (something the D-League is not) and the Pistons don’t have his (small) salary on the books for the season. It was public knowledge that Joe wanted Tay back, Jonas was a lock to sign, Daye was already on the roster, Rip was still here and columnists were already placing him in 3 guard lineups with Bynum and Stuckey, and Singler probably was aware that Summers barely saw time on the court while he was here. Most nights Singler would have been lucky to see his uniform. It lets him develop overseas and gives the organization a final look at what Daye can do.

• Dec 15, 201112:53 pm
      by Coach_Ackley

Jeremy I agree 100% with you and I’ve been trying to tell these ppl the same thing you are saying most though have their own say and will think other wise even though it is not wise… lol lol…..

• Dec 15, 20111:12 pm

Can we chill on the boldface type?

• Dec 15, 20116:59 pm
          by Coach_Ackley

Nope this is how I type.. It’s my signature typing…. lmao………..

• Dec 15, 20118:19 pm
            by Laser

LMAO OMG ROFL

Can we keep him??

• Dec 15, 201112:05 pm
    by Tom Y.

He’ll probably want to play in the NBA sometime in the next few years and the Pistons will have his rights (unless they trade them of course). Meanwhile he’s developing nicely. It’s not like we were about to contend anytime soon.

• Dec 15, 201112:50 pm
    by Coach_Ackley

All of you are missing the point.. Singler signed overseas when the DAMN lockout was still on and Joe D and the Pistons frontoffice couldn’t have contact with him to sway him to stay state side.. Singler is loyal and will honor his contract overseas has he should then next season will be in a Pistons Uni… If not for the lockout Singler would have played for the Pistons this year so he’s not to blame and the Pistons are sure not to blame the blame goes on the lockout… So of you should be a little smarter and know the FACTS before you mouth off…..

• Dec 15, 20111:07 pm
      by Steve K

My guess is that if Singler was drafted by the Lakers he’d be with the Lakers right now, so I’m sure his “loyalty” to the Spanish club has its limits.

• Dec 15, 20111:07 pm

That’s inaccurate. The original team he signed with gave him an out clause, allowing him to return when the lockout ended. Singler had the option to come back and sign with the Pistons, but instead chose to sign a contract with a different Spanish club and stay in Spain.

• Dec 15, 20117:03 pm
        by Coach_Ackley

And like I said he should and WILL honor that contract… Listen I build houses and coach for a living and if I bid a job and the client signs my contract I would hope they honor it and not look for another builder as is the same with Singler honoring his playing contract as HE SHOULD.. Now yeah I’m right on that……

• Dec 15, 201110:57 pm

You are missing the point. He honored his original contract in Spain. The contract was essentially written to end when the lockout ended. When it ended, Singler was free to come back and sign with the Pistons. Instead, he chose to sign with another team in Spain. He signed two contracts with two different Spanish teams at two different times. The second time, he could’ve come back to the US and signed with the team that drafted him since the lockout was resolved and chose to sign with a new club in Spain instead.

And that’s not a criticism of Singler, it’s a great chance to make more money in one of the best leagues overseas. But he’s not staying in Spain out of loyalty. He signed there because the opportunity for him to play and to make money was better.

• Dec 15, 20111:08 pm
      by Laser

Oh coach… Gotta love it when the least informed opinion shouts the loudest, don’t ya?

Singler obviously did this for his own personal reasons, and they’ve been explained nicely above by those nice, smart commenters. The team sucks d*ck out loud, he’s comfortable where he’s at, given our track record he’d probably get no minutes, and I think he stands to make a bunch more money in Spain than on a second round prorated rookie scale. No sense pretending it’s about honoring a contract, since part of the contract is an opt out clause, and no sense attributing this to some sense of loyalty you assume he has.

Honestly, even if there was a full training camp and regular season I could see him joining the team, but it’s hard to blame him for deciding not to.

• Dec 15, 20111:15 pm

The money thing is right on. He’s making more than the Pistons could pay a second round pick.

On top of that, he’s playing for one of the top franchises in Spain and he was signed to replace Rudy Fernandez, one of the top stars in Spain.

• Dec 15, 20117:08 pm
        by Coach_Ackley

“Gotta love it when the least informed opinion shouts the loudest” Laser – So you think least informed opinion is what you think of me hahahahaha.. Son I know what it takes to build a winning team been there done that and still doing it.. Son I’d build a winning team before you can find a GIRLFRIEND….

• Dec 15, 20118:21 pm
          by Laser

I have a girlfriend.

• Dec 15, 201110:54 pm

Does she know how much time you invest in commenting on the Pistons?

• Dec 15, 20111:13 pm
    by Laser

Hard to say if he’d get any PT if he joined the team. Days has to be a priority right now, since we still have NO damn clue what he is, and it stands to reason that Joe probably brings back Tay for a bunch of reasons I won’t bother to spell out.

Ideally we can trade Tay before the 2013 deadline and go forward with Singler and Daye at SF unless we suck bad enough to land a top pick future superstar, which seems likely.

• Dec 15, 20111:57 pm
    by Noké Valen-Daulliere

Are the poor pistons trapped in a cycle of Indiana Pacers style mediocrity, because of a front office that’s good at finding solid players late in the draft?Unless they can find another Ben Wallace style superstar diamond in the rough, I’m afraid they’ll be 400-600 teams forever. But maybe other gm’s were avoiding trading with Dumars after the Wallace deal, scared of being fleeced by smart gm. So Joe D realizes that the team is dead in the water, signs charlie v and ben g for big deals, while fully knowing their limitations. He waits.

Now Joe D is an ambush predator, happy to see Respected NBA Writers constantly bringing up Darko and Charlie Villanueva. When he telephones a team with an unhappy superstar, their GM is more than happy to make a deal, thinking they have the upper hand. And BOOM! the Pistons have snatched the final  piece. Championship in 2012! Go Pistons! :P

• Dec 15, 20112:59 pm

I’m sure that’s his convoluted plan (sarcasm). And it’s not like Denver refused to trade their semi-star Iverson to Detroit for Billups who looked like the inferior of the two at the time.

• Dec 15, 20114:59 pm
    by Max

Loyalty?  He’s a traitor—trade his rights.  I don’t like players who evidence a disinclination to give their heart and souls to the Pistons.  And btw: no one ever brings this up, but one reason that I approve of the Billups trade to this day was that Billups approached Dumars about his desire to play in Denver to finish his playing days.  If I’m the GM, and a player does that, he’s gone and I approve of how the Lakers handled the Odom situation even though they made a bad basketball trade.  When a player asks out you trade him as soon as possible with no turning back in my mind.    The only proof I require that Dumars has been handcuffed the previous couple of years is that in the past he always admitted his mistakes very quickly and just shipped players out and fired coaches.  I’m confidant that Dumars will be back to that tact moving forward.

• Dec 15, 20118:35 pm
      by Laser

Business is business, so when you sign a contract like NBA players do, you accept the possibility of being traded. What happened with Chauncey was rare, but a GM helping a player go somewhere he wants to play doesn’t outweigh a GM doing what’s best for the team. He should do his job first, then consider going out of his way to display loyalty.

I have a few thoughts on Singler, but raking him over the coals for taking more money and a bigger role in a good league doesn’t seem reasonable. I’d like him to want to be with the team and not fall behind the curve, but there is value in his choice. And it’s hard to judge a decision like this after looking at the career trajectory of DaJuan Summers. Being buried on the depth chart behind Prince and Daye doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for either player or team.