Jake Voskuhl, Walker Russell Jr. and Brian Hamilton waived by Pistons

Dave Pemberton of The Oakland Press:

#Pistons waive Jake Voskuhl, Brian Hamilton and Walker Russell Jr.

This is no surprise, considering the trio played just 14 combined preseason minutes – all of them by Hamilton yesterday. The three were training-camp invites only, longshots to make the roster.

That leaves the Pistons with the league-minimum 13 players, including Damien Wilkins and Vernon Macklin. Barring another signing or trade, those two are basically locks to make the opening-night roster. The question now is which player will begin the season on the reserve list.

• Dec 21, 20112:12 pm
    by Laser

hm. good question you pose at the end. i can’t decide between gordon and villanueva…

• Dec 21, 20112:28 pm

I actually forgot they were on the team for a minute last night. It felt good.

• Dec 21, 20112:34 pm
        by Tiko

absolutely felt great without them

• Dec 21, 20115:58 pm
        by rick77

Hey Patrick I know we have not always seen eye to eye, but what do you think about Detroit trying to get Brandon Roy, and Arnie Kander working his magic on his knees.? Could he be a good pick up if we fix him and what obstacles do we face in trying to get him? BTW I do not dislike what you say just have different opinions. For the record I respect what you say even if I dont always agree.

• Dec 21, 20112:33 pm
      by Jacob

I don’t want to jump to conclusions but Daye has shown us more in 2 preseason games than BG has in 2 years. And CV31….well….let’s just say I’ll take Macklin over him right now.

• Dec 21, 20112:28 pm

Based on the limited knowledge I possess, I think I’d rather have White than Wilkins. By the way, what rationale is there for having a minimum of 13 players per team when a team can’t even have 13 active players and isn’t required to have 12?

• Dec 21, 20112:41 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Money. It’s a negotiated part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement that ensures a certain number of jobs for players.

• Dec 21, 20112:31 pm

Based on the limited knowledge I possess, I think I’d rather have White than Wilkins. By the way, what rationale is there for having a minimum of 13 players per team when a team can’t even have 13 active players?

Laser, do you really want to prevent the long shot of having Gordon or Villanueva regain some trade value?

• Dec 22, 20114:21 pm
      by Laser

1) I was mostly joking. Only “mostly” because I meant it, but the team’s obviously not inactivating either one of them barring injury.

2) Gordon is a prohibitive long shot to have any trade value before his contract is expiring in any scenario. Less so here, where he’s the least intriguing guard on a roster full of guards. He’s got one of the worst contracts in the league, and he’s essentially useless to us.

3) Villanuava can probably be traded, just not for anything good. And Joe is too stubborn to cut his losses on the guy.