Agent: Jonas Jerebko’s four-year, $18 million contract includes player option

Jonas Jerebko signed a four-year $18 million contract that includes a player option, according to his agent, Doug Neustadt. By definition, the option is for the fourth season.

Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News first reported the deal was worth $18 million Jerebko first reported the deal was worth $18 million (hat tip: Justin Rogers of MLive.com), not the $16 million originally reported.

Update: Neustadt said Jerebko will make $4.5 each year of the deal and the contract has been officially signed.

• Dec 10, 201112:42 pm
    by sut

Out with the play-when-they-feel-like-it crowd and in with the bust-their-a$$e$-to-be-pros crowd.  I love the signing and the money will be a bargain if he plays up to even 80% of my expectations.

• Dec 10, 20111:07 pm

this deal keeps getting worse and worse. how bad a negotiator is dumars?when you are paying someone above market rate and you have all the leverage, you get a team option, not a player option. for crying out loud.

• Dec 10, 20111:28 pm
    by Tiko

Jerebko is the type of player that will live up to his contract.  all heart all hustle.  I just worry about his health

• Dec 10, 20114:25 pm

It doesn’t matter if he lives up to it. Point is that he could have been had for less. So it was a poor signing.

• Dec 10, 20114:37 pm
    by rbaltes

So, do you think that agents are dealing with Dumars and Dumars alone? I think it’s a little naive to think that it’s not a combination of JoeD and the Gores team figuring out the best deal to be had. Dumars does NOT have carte blanche anymore, the ownership/operations team is a very successful and shrewd bunch. I like the feel of what’s happening with these signings and buyouts.

• Dec 10, 20116:45 pm
    by gmehl1977

I agree with sut (comment 1) on this. Yeah JJ is being overpaid BUT I don’t think he is grossly overpaid. JJ will be getting a lot of burn this season and players remember when GMs show faith in them. Yeah Joe could of given him way less but who in any job likes to get minimum wage? JJ is the kind of guy that will run through a wall if Lawrence Frank asks him to and he will run through CV and Gordon’s wall as well because he is all heart. Next step here will be to amnesty CV or Gordon and ten get some stop gap replacements to see the year out.

• Dec 10, 201111:27 pm
    by Max

Denver signed Luc Richard Mbah a Moute for four years and 19 million and Milwaukee matched.  I think JJ is a comparable enough player for me to say that should receive similar contracts and JJ’s is lower.

• Dec 11, 20119:19 am

Except that there is less certainty with Jerebko. He has only played one season and has to be considered at least something of an injury risk. But yeah, if someone else had offered such a deal to Jerebko and Dumars matched, I’d have been fine with it. But at least make him a lower offer first and see if anyone else attempts to beat it. There is no risk with an RFA. If Jerebko was a UFA, I wouldn’t mind his deal at all. But as is, it seemed imprudent (especially with the player option).

• Dec 11, 201111:09 am
    by apa8ren9

I think that when we argue or are upset with how much money a person makes we need to ask, who could we realistically get to fill that role that is better and cheaper salary wise?  We know what we have, I dont think anyone believes that Jerebko will dog it.   The price is fair.  Look what is going on in the bigger picture.  We are going to suck but we have to keep up comparable salaries so that when the better players start to move we have good trade chips.  We have to build this.

• Dec 11, 201112:27 pm
    by sut

I think it’s crazy to call him an injury risk.  He blew out an Achilles.  It happens but is somewhat rare.  It’s not like he’s Matt Stafford and has had repeat instances of this one injury or a grab bag of random injuries.  He’s had this one major injury and that’s it.  By the end of his rookie campaign he was the Piston player hustling most on a nightly basis.  He was playing near elite defense and was a capable third or fourth option on offense.  I’m beyond excited to see what he learned from the bench last year.

• Dec 11, 20112:36 pm
    by Max

A player who properly rehabs a torn Achilles winds up with a stronger one then he had in the first place.  Aside from injuries, I personally think it’s worthwhile in a shortened season to get everyone into camp as soon as possible for a variety of reasons and if it costs Dumars a mill or two a year, so be it.  Lest anyone forget, teams have to spend 85% of the cap now and 90% in future years of this new CBA,  If the Pistons ever got far under the cap, there would be a very real possibility of striking out with the big stars and then having to truly and grossly overpay for players they didn’t even want.  Therefore, it seems like teams should give decent contracts out to players they actually like on their teams.   Jerebko is very low risk because of his motor and effort.

• Dec 12, 201110:46 am
      by Sebastian

Max, I agree with you when you write: I personally think it’s worthwhile in a shortened season to get everyone into camp as soon as possible … and … it seems like teams should give decent contracts out to players they actually like on their teams, hence the reason why I say re-sign Stuckey now!

Stuckey should be offered, somewhere slightly above what Conley and Thaddeus Young have signed for. I’d say $9 million at 4 years should do it.