Pistons’ post-lockout questions

Zach Lowe of The Point Forward identified the key questions for each team following the lockout. On the Pistons:

Is Rodney Stuckey, a restricted free agent, worth big money? And will Detroit’s new ownership, led by private-equity giant Tom Gores, be willing to eat salary tied to either Richard Hamilton or Charlie Villanueva via amnesty? If the answer to that second question is “yes,” they can re-sign Stuckey to a fair-value deal and still be players in free agency in each of the next two summers.

I also think Ben Gordon and Jason Maxiell will play in the Pistons’ amnesty discussion, which as Lowe says, will go a long way in determining how much Detroit offers Stuckey.

• Nov 27, 201112:42 pm
    by alex21

Dan, do you think that the pistons will actually use their amnesty or just let it go to waste

• Nov 27, 20111:03 pm
    by Richard

I think that they should use it on Charlie or Ben Gordon.. Both of theses players haven’t lived up to there contracts, but if I had to choose between the two to leave I would say Gordon. The reason is that his ball handling and defense is bad. I know you could say the same for Charlie, but you can use him more for extra rebounds under the basket. Also by letting Gordon go u can free up space in the guard spot. With Knight at the point and Stuckey at the two spot, Will can play backup for Knight and Hamilton can backup Stuckey.. That leaves White right, but I think we should push him down to the D-league so he can develop more for maybe a month. This will give time for Joe to trade Rip to a contender. Then bring White back and go from there. Maxiell is a easy one we already have a few younger forwards that can replace him with Jonus coming back he should get the starting job hands down and with the addition of Macklin backing him up Maxiell will be traded before the all star game. But if Joe does use the amnesty to drop some I hope we can grab a good free agent I like West or Nene myself or if somehow we can steal Smith from ATL thru a trade that would be great too.

• Nov 27, 20112:39 pm
    by Jodi Jezz

Use the amnesty clause on Maxiell to get 5mil off our cap, trade Rip Hamiltion, and of course re-sign Stuckey…

@Richard: lol, do you really think Jonas is going to start for the Pistons?

• Nov 27, 20114:48 pm
    by Joe Dumars

I think the trade market for maybe limited by Rip’s attitude, his cap hit, and Dumars not trading Rip anywhere he doesn’t want to go. I think teams interested in Rip will just dance around the idea of trading for Rip, and just wait for the Pistons to cut him.

• Nov 27, 20115:08 pm
    by detroitpcb

Pistons must re-sign Stuckey. I would amnesty Gordon but the word out of the organization is they still like him. Not sure why? Given the selection of Knight, i think Gordon should go. I would keep CV. His contract is not that extreme for a good scoring 6th man off the bench. I think Rip can be traded. Saving 5 mil on Max is not a bad idea. Tay will not be re-signed, nor should he be. Don’t know if in the short window Joe Dumars will be able to execute a sign and trade. Tay may just ride. T-Mac will sign elsewhere but the Pistons might re-sign Wilcox if he doesn’t get any big offers. Probably depends on what other moves and trades are made.

Time to go with the young players and let them grow together.

• Nov 27, 20116:12 pm
    by Richard

@Jodi I think he will beat out Charlie plus Charlie is going to be suspended for the first few game so the spot is almost a given.. And I think that Jonas will beat out Macklin too but all and all I’ll I want is a Good team to form so we can get back the Detriot Basketball.. Hard nose D!!!

• Nov 27, 20116:23 pm
    by jack

@Jodi lol he was already starting his rookie year.  Given the muscle he has put on I think a 6-10 245lbs is adequate for a PF.  Plus he already proved he can rebound and defend that position as a rookie.

• Nov 27, 20118:39 pm
    by sop

PLEASE don’t offer Stuckey more than 8 under any circumstance. And PLEASE don’t bring Prince back. I’d rather follow a terrible team with some new players than the same old mediocre group of guys with piss-poor attitudes.

• Nov 27, 20119:34 pm
    by Chris

Stuckey can play shooting guard along with knight playing point but i don’t see them cutting Gordon instead of rip. Ben is a younger and more efficient scorer than rip. Or charlie with our limited supply of big guys, and charlie has some value in the trade market because he is a 6-11 shooting power forward. The two guys i think it comes down to is rip and Jason and i think they use it on Rip, re-sign Wilcox, and try to re-sign Stuckey. But that is easier said than done because you could see a team like Toronto with a lot of cap space give Stuckey a big contract that the pistons cant match. And I also see jonas proving himself in training camp and taking the starting pf spot yet again from charlie as he did in his rookie year. I think the starting line up for the pistons on opening night will be:
    PG: Rodney Stuckey
    SG: Ben Gordon
    SF: Jonas Jerebko
    PF: Charlie Villanueva
    C: Greg Monroe

I put jonas at SF because with tayshaun leaving all we hav at the forward position would be daye, singler, and jonas, and jonas has very good D and can play on the perimeter which would make him a good fit for the SF position.

• Nov 28, 20113:02 pm
      by Youssif

Why would you waive Rip? He’s on an expiring contract and therefore is one of the most valuable trade assets we have. Keep Rip for trading purposes, dump the biggest contract (Gordon), and see what we have with a Knight/Stuckey combo. This log-jam at SG is killing us, so I’d rather have Maxiell and Villanueva than Gordon unless we’re moving other guys (Daye, Stuckey) for better pieces.

My vote: waive Gordon, trade Rip, hope Charlie V discovers footage of himself playing basketball and feels self conscious enough about it to start caring about rebounding and defense.

Trade idea: Rip for Taj Gibson along with other players to make the money work? How does Chicago say no?

• Nov 28, 20114:09 pm
        by Joe Dumars

How does Chicago say no? They simply say no.

Think of it this way, why should a team interested in Rip trade for him, when they can just wait the Pistons out, and sign him for discounted price after hes been amnesty. Rip has little value.

• Nov 28, 20115:23 pm
          by Youssif

My mistake, I thought Rip had an expiring contract, in which case I thought it’d make no sense to amnesty him. Pistons should let Gordon go (via amnesty) and offer Rip to Chicago, same scenario as before.

• Nov 28, 20115:35 pm
            by Joe Dumars

…and Chicago would just laugh at that scenario. Rip doesn’t want to be in Detroit and Rip is wanted there. Detroit has little leverage in a trade with anybody, because everybody figures he has to go. So why trade for him?

• Nov 28, 20118:23 pm
    by gmehl1977

@Joe Dumars If Rip can’t be traded then i wouldn’t be surprised to see the pistons wait out his contract. Once all teams have used there amnesty on players the free agent pool will be very deep so there is definitely no guarantee Rip will be traded. He is almost an expiring so you never know how willing another team might be.

• Nov 28, 20118:54 pm
      by Joe Dumars

Theres some rumblings that there won’t be a lot teams using the amnesty clause this season. Apparently each team can use the amnesty clause only once during the current CBA, not one every season.

I don’t see why Dumars would want to wait out Rips contract with all the bull that happen last season. Rip no longer fits the current make up of the team, why else do you think they’re trying to trade him. Keeping Rip another two years is just another diaster waiting to happen.

• Nov 29, 20117:11 am
    by gmehl1977

They have waited all this time that another season of Rip might not be out of Dumars thinking. Remember its a shortened season so next year Rips contract (partially guaranteed) becomes gold. Utah has put Millsap and Jefferson on the market so maybe they might take a look at dealing for Rip…fingers and toes crossed i guess

• Nov 29, 20111:08 pm
      by Joe Dumars

No, I doubt Dumars waits any longer. Why do you think all those problems boiled over in February? Rip and Prince wanted out, and Dumars couldn’t deliver. They can’t keep him any longer.

You’re really overvaluing Rip if you think he’ll net you Millsap or Jefferson.

• Nov 29, 20112:35 pm
    by Youssif

But an expiring contract for Rip next year is worth a lot more than keeping BG. And why would they keep BG? His contract is too long and interferes way more with rebuilding than Rip’s. Rip is more valuable to the Pistons staying home and waiting out the rest of the shortened season than BG is being on the court and costing the team years of valuable rebuilding. Not that I think he’ll be sitting home though if BG is walking. But worst case scenario, his contract may have a lot value compared to BG’s, which has negative value barring a career renaissance for him (doubt it happens in Detroit).

Not sure I agree with the logic behind amnestying Rip given his potential value starting this summer.

• Nov 29, 20112:48 pm
    by Joe Dumars

BG’s problem was Kuester jerking him around in the line up because Rip couldn’t be dealt.

I don’t buy this nonsense that we should keep Rip for one more season and risk more locker room and chemistry problems.Having sit at home isn’t the answer either. If hes get amnesty whatever team claims him helps the Pistons pay the rest of his salary.

• Nov 29, 20112:55 pm
      by Joe Dumars

As for Rip’s value, you really think they’re going to get anything of value for Rip. If they find a team dumb enough to trade for him, all they’re going to get in return is another bad contract, not Taj F-ing Gibson. lol

I’d rather see what a new coaching staff can do with Ben, than risk more locker room problems with Rip. Ben isn’t a cancer like

• Nov 29, 201110:35 pm
    by Youssif

They’ll get value for Rip because he’s almost an expiring contract. I don’t think you quite understand the value in that. Why would you want to keep an undersized SG who can’t play defense, is way overpaid, and has too many years left on his contract (thus rendering him untradeable) instead of an expiring contract that will have lots of trade value?

Maybe they don’t land Gibson for him but I’m sure there are plenty of teams looking for a veteran SG to be that final piece to a championship puzzle or an expiring contract to help them rebuild. Hell, I wouldn’t even mind keeping Rip until his contract expires for that reason. It still would be more valuable than BG or Charlie V.

• Nov 30, 201112:10 am
      by Joe Dumars

There you go again with that word almost again. It seems to me you just want to ignore his locker room problems because he might be more valuable 6 months from now. Rip wants out, why risk more problems? You don’t keep someone that doesn’t want to be there.

You obivously don’t get value by originally suggesting Rip for Taj Gibson. Seriously take off the homer shades. All Rip is worth is another player thats a waste of cap space.