Rip Hamilton finishes at 126, Greg Monroe at 132 in ESPN #NBARank

Well, this one is bound to spark some debate in the comments, so I’ll just present these rankings and allow you guys to take it away. Rip Hamilton ranked 126 and Greg Monroe ranked 132 in ESPN’s rankings of the top 500 players/incoming rookies in the league.

As for Hamilton, I think it’s pretty clear what happened. People either gave him credit for his career body of work or chalked his statistical decline up to poor coaching/misuse over the last three seasons. It’s a pretty common debate that has occurred here for a long time now — some feel Hamilton’s production has declined because he hasn’t been used in the right role, some believe he’s declined simply because he’s hitting an age when many guards begin to naturally decline. So feel free to debate that one away again.

As for Monroe, all I will say is that there is not a single Piston who should rank ahead of him on this list. He was their best player last year, although a case can be made for Rodney Stuckey (I still give the edge to Monroe). But ranking at No. 132 isn’t bad at all and many expect Monroe to climb more than 100 spots on these types of lists over the next few seasons.

Other Pistons unveiled in the rankings are: Tracy McGrady (178), Will Bynum (188), Charlie Villanueva (191), Jonas Jerebko (206), Austin Daye (217), Ben Wallace (227), Jason Maxiell (239), Brandon Knight (267), Chris Wilcox (330), Kyle Singler (446), Terrico White (472) and Vernon Macklin (498).

If you’re on Twitter, feel free to follow along. The @NBAonESPN account is unveiling the names and picking the best comments that use the #NBARank hashtag for retweets and also featuring some on ESPN.com.

• Sep 23, 20113:07 pm
    by neutes

Gordon ranks above Rip?! Travesty.

• Sep 23, 20113:49 pm
    by Tiko

Rip should be top 100 at the very least no question

• Sep 23, 20114:13 pm

Whaaa? The list is supposed to be based on expected production next season. You think Hamilton will be one of the 100 most productive players in the league next season?

• Sep 23, 20115:19 pm
        by Tiko

my bad I thought this list was based on current overall talent.  I guess that rating is fair only cuz he doesnt have a clear role on this rebuilding team.  put him on the bulls and I think he’d be very productive

• Sep 24, 20111:06 am
        by neutes

I had no idea these ranking involved what to expect next season as part of the criteria. In that case they are all messed up. I was more comfortable with them being last season as the judging point.

Monroe should be top 50. I honestly think that. I still have no clue between Rip and Gordon, but seeing as how Rip has been better (not good) ON THE COURT over the last two seasons I’ll stick with Rip.

• Sep 23, 20113:50 pm
    by DVS

Whenever I see these ranking it just looks to me that people aren’t actually watching any pistons games. Reputations seem to be the more important than anything else.
    Monroe should be ranked higher than Rip, BG and arguably Stuckey.
    I’m interested to see where Stuckey does actually end up.

• Sep 23, 20114:15 pm

Definitely interested in where Stuckey is ranked. He should be higher than Gordon or Prince among the remaining Pistons, but if I were betting, I’d say both of those guys end up ahead of Stuckey for the reason you just mentioned, reputations.

• Sep 26, 20112:44 pm
        by Laser

i don’t see how stuckey could possibly rank above prince. now that monroe’s been listed, prince should be the highest rated piston. hands down.

• Sep 26, 20112:57 pm

You overrate Prince, but we’ve had that discussion before. He doesn’t get to the line, he doesn’t score without having the ball in his hands like 21 seconds per possession and his defense has been just average or a little below for a a few seasons now. Stuckey is no prize either, but he does get to the line and his ability to slash does create open shots when he bothers to pass.

I mean, if either guy is your best player, you’re screwed. But I think Stuckey was measurably a bit better last year. And honestly, I think Greg Monroe was better than both of those guys last year, but I didn’t expect Monroe to do as well as he should have in the rankings.

• Sep 26, 20117:45 pm

Agreed that Stuckey is at least as good as Prince at this point. But I still can’t see him winding up higher in the rankings.

• Sep 27, 20113:14 pm

Wow, amazing how close the last three ended up being ranked. I guess Detroit gets a top 100 goose egg.

• Sep 27, 20113:22 pm

Yeah, def. Interested to see how many other teams are shut out of the top 100. Charlotte has to be a lock. Maybe Cleveland too (haven’t seen if Varejao was ranked yet … he’d be their only possibility I think now that Jamison and Davis came off the board today … not that those guys should be top 100, but name recognition is huge in this).

• Sep 23, 20113:53 pm
    by Richard

Wow I am shock that Gordon ranked higher then Rip.. Rip is a better all around then Gordon.. Then Monroe should have been higher in this list I think. He has been robbed all year when it came down to recognition. I hope that Greg sees this ranking and it pushing him more when the next season starts.. With the Frank as the new coach I know I will see a better Monroe and even better team next year!! The team should get together and train, so that team will have the chemistry needed to succeed.

• Sep 23, 20114:16 pm

Part of the criteria for the rankings is expected production next season though. Gordon is still relatively young, Hamilton is well into his 30s now. I agree with you that Hamilton is the better all around player, but I think it’s a safer bet that Gordon bounces back some and Hamilton might decline some b/c of age.

• Sep 23, 20115:21 pm
    by Richard

I see your point in Gordon improving next year. I hope that he can improve on his ballhandling and defense this would really help the team.

• Sep 23, 201110:30 pm
    by Eric

Fields over monroe??

• Sep 24, 20111:04 am
    by MIke Payne

I remember when the media used to perpetually count the Detroit Pistons out of any real discussion of contention.  Then we destroyed the Lakers and broke that franchise apart.  I loved it then.  I love it now.  Sports media– please continue to underrate and ignore Greg Monroe.  Please count him out of any serious discussions of player value.  Crow don’t taste too good, especially when it is eaten off deez nutz.

• Sep 24, 201110:53 am

If these sorts of lists had come out before the annual awards, it would have come as no shock whatsoever that Monroe didn’t make all-rookie 1st team.
    But yeah, his season stats wee far from eye-popping and by the time Monroe was playing well, no body had any reason to watch the Pistons anymore.

• Sep 24, 20113:30 pm
    by RyanK

Rip is underrated based on ability…overrated based on performance.  If we could get 100% of out him like we used to, you’d see he hasn’t dropped off from where he was 5 years ago.

• Sep 24, 20115:22 pm
      by Tiko

agreed

• Sep 25, 20119:50 am

Well performance matters a heck of a lot more than ability. That said, how do you know his ability hasn’t diminished greatly? You could be right; I just don’t see any evidence. Sure, he still has the occasional really good game. But even below average (ability-wise) players have those. And they fall way short of the really good games he used to sometimes have.

• Sep 25, 20118:01 pm
        by RyanK

I know loafing when I see it.  Rip has been loafing.  When he feels he’s been “dissed”, he’ll go out and prove he’s still the best player on the team.  He did it a few times last year and it looked easy for him.  Perhaps you’re right, he can’t do it as often as he used to…but I see no evidence of that.  If he worked hard out there didn’t play well, then I’d agree with you…but does anyone believe he’s working hard out there these days?

Rip’s ability hasn’t fallen off, his motivation has.  Is that a result of not playing for a contender or is it that he has been under a big contract for a long time?  Either way, anytime he wants to, he can go out and bag 35 points in an efficient manner while locking down his man on the other end.

• Sep 25, 20118:37 pm

Ok, even in his prime he couldnt get 35 efficient points any time he wanted to. Exactly two players have ever been able to do that: Jordan and Wilt. Rip has topped out at averaging 20 ppg.

• Sep 25, 20118:41 pm

Furthermore, he scored 35 once last season and locked down his guy maybe 3 times. From that, you are able to conclude he can do it anytime he wants.

• Sep 26, 20111:24 am
          by Mike Payne

@RyanK: mad respect for you sharing your opinion and all, but I think it would be wise if you took off your Rip jersey and official Rip mask when doing so.  I’m saying this without my Dumars boxers on, so you can understand that I’m coming from a place of mutual understanding.

• Sep 26, 20117:15 am
            by RyanK

Tarsier, there have been a lot of guys who can bag 35 anytime they want.  Dirk, Bird, Kobe, Shaq, Hakeem, Reggie…

I don’t mean average 35, I’m saying go out and get it if Rip wanted to.  It would be easier for him to do it on a given night than Kobe, because no one expect him to take 25 shots.  But if he did he could bag 35-40 no problem.

It frustrates the hell out of me when people think hitting a certain number of points scored means a player is good.  If the player can do it efficiently is the question.  Rip can’t load the team on his back for an entire season and have success…but he couldn’t do that in his prime either.  Rip is solid and if he was taking more shot attempts per game you’d agree he’s as good as he used to be.

• Sep 26, 201112:05 pm

Ok, let me rephrase. If a player can get 35 any night he wants, why would he choose not to do it every night? Kobe and Dirk et al could get 35 somewhat regularly but being able to do it one night in 4 or 5 is far from being able to do it whenever you want. That would be like saying Dwight Howard can grab 15 boards any night he wants. I bet you he wants to grab at least that many every night. Sometimes he manages to, sometimes he doesn’t.

I agree wholeheartedly about the efficiency thing. but that is also why I don’t think that if Rip was taking more attempts I would agree he hasn’t lost a beat. I don’t care that his scoring average has come down. But in his prime, he’d hit around 47-48%–that’s good stuff. Now he shoots around 40-42%–that’s inefficient. And while he doesn’t appear to work as hard on either end, it often means defenders slough off him a bit. Most of the time, his shots are as open as ever. Namely, if he shoots right away when he gets the ball, it’s an open midrange shot. If he holds on to it, the defenders closes. But that’s what he’s built his career on. And don’t tell me he just doesn’t shoot enough to get in a rhythm. Because his percentages never seemed to be skewed toward after he’d taken 5-10 shots.

But yeah, my main point is what player who can bag 355 anytime they want, wouldn’t choose to average at least 35?

• Sep 26, 201112:06 pm

*bag 35 anytime they want (not 355)