Lawrence Frank will reportedly hire Dee Brown as one of his assistant coaches

Mitch Lawrence of the New York Daily News reports that Lawrence Frank, who has apparently been undergoing an exhaustive search for the right assistants, has settled on at least one, former NBA player and D-League coach Dee Brown:

Continuing to assemble his staff in Detroit, new Pistons coach Lawrence Frank is set to hire Dee Brown, formerly the coach of the Nets’ D-League affiliate in Springfield, Mass.

Brown had been coaching the New Jersey Nets D-League affiliate, Springfield. And hey, for Michigan State fans out there, Lawrence is reporting that Brown’s replacement with Springfield will be former MSU star Shawn Respert.

As for Brown, he’s quickly become a respected up and comer on the coaching scene. Check out this interview he did with former Nets Are Scorching editor and current NBA Playbook editor (and seriously … bookmark NBA Playbook if you’re not already reading it) Sebasitan Pruiti in 2009:

NAS:  How can your NBA experience help when dealing with players trying to make the NBA themselves?

Dee Brown:  I can speak on 12 years of hands on playing experience in the NBA on the do’s and don’ts of getting to the NBA and most importantly staying when you get there. I’ve played with great players and for great coaches so I’ve got tons experience on how to communicate with all levels. I’ve also been in the front office at different capacities from Director of Player Development to Community Ambassador. So I know what NBA Execs look for and expect from their players on and off the court.

And, if you’re trying to remember Brown as a player, his best moment probably came in 1991 when he upset Shawn Kemp in the Slam Dunk Contest:

• Sep 4, 20119:03 pm
    by rob

Frank hinted he wanted assts specialized in specific areas. Potential PG coach for Knight?

Nice start to building the staff. I’m hoping for at least 1 older guy with exp too.

• Sep 5, 201112:52 am
    by Vince

Good choice, he’s making all the right decisions imo, really looking forward to this season, if there is one…

• Sep 5, 20119:45 am
    by JT's Hoops Blog

I remember that dunk.  It was probably one of the sickest dunks in All Star history only to be beaten by Cedric Ceballos the following year–he actually was blind folded.  That was crazy.  Too bad we’ll never see any more dunks like that ever again.

• Sep 5, 20116:46 pm

Wow, I can’t believe that’s what the slam dunk contest used to look like. People talk about how it just can’t live up to the good old days anymore. But that final dunk was probably the only one that could make top ten in any of the recent years. I think the “good old days” only refer to 1988 and 2000.

• Sep 6, 20119:00 am

Yep, the Dunk Contest definitely went through a down period in the 1990s, other than a few memorable dunks here and there (Ced Ceballos blindfolded, as mentioned above, for example).

I remember being blown away by J.R. Rider’s between the legs dunk when it happened. Now, it seems like two or three guys in every dunk contest complete some variation of it.

• Sep 5, 20118:33 pm
    by BIG MARV

Nice move me and my dad was recently talking about that knight will need a younger coaching mentor to help him out that played in the leauge. Dee will have the patience to coach and teach him how to be point guard in the leauge. He might not have the acolades as a player but he do have the teaching and the tools to be a good mentor to knight.