Ben Wallace reportedly arrested

WDIV in Detroit is reporting Ben Wallace was arrested over the weekend:

Wallace was arraigned in Bloomfield Township Sept. 24 on charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated and carrying a concealed weapon.A press release states that at about 3 a.m., a Bloomfield Township police officer stopped Wallace’s vehicle in the area of Telegraph and Long Lake roads for erratic driving. Police said the roadside investigation revealed that Wallace was intoxicated and subsequently taken into custody.

Nothing good ever happens to athletes in Bloomfield Township, apparently.

• Sep 29, 201110:14 am
    by Jacob

Saw this on twitter 1st thing in the morning. Very disappointing. With all the emphasis on having character guys this coming season, the Pistons did not need this from a veteran leader. I hope it all turns out ok for Big Ben.

• Sep 29, 201110:20 am
    by Murph

Wallace has shown enough character and integrity over his career that I don’t think one transgression will have a lasting negative effect on his legacy.

• Sep 29, 201111:57 am
    by rob

I agree with Murph. I feel bad for him, hope everything turns out ok. A man whose been a model citizen here and done so much for the city should get some leeway on this, being a first offense. Good luck, Ben.

• Sep 29, 201112:15 pm
    by Jason

Show me a man who doesn’t make mistakes and I will show you a man who hasn’t achieved much

• Sep 29, 201112:35 pm
    by detroitpcb

sad to see Ben go out like this but this will pretty much guarentee his retirement.

now Joe really needs to make a trade for another big man

• Sep 29, 20112:59 pm

You really think this will have any effect on Ben’s role on the Pistons this year?

• Sep 29, 20116:06 pm
        by detroitpcb

yes, i think this ends his career with the Pistons.

he was considerimg retirement anyway but the team wanted him back. Now i suspect that retirement will be a mutually agreed upon option.

• Sep 29, 20119:26 pm
          by Laser

uhhh… 2 things, old friend: (1) If anything threatens to end Big Ben’s career, it’s the ever-increasing likelihood of the season getting canceled, and (2) I don’t think this incident is enough to end his career. His reputation is tarnished, perhaps forever, but it’s not like the guy should be any kind of role model for anyone. No professional athlete who isn’t immediately associated philanthropy/charity/community building/etc. should be a role model, least of all any of these sorry Pistons.

• Sep 29, 20115:34 pm
    by jprime18

Awww, Benny Boy. You’re better than that. Hope the charges aren’t too harsh

• Sep 29, 20119:31 pm
    by Laser

I’m as disturbed and much more surprised by the gun charge than the DUI, but I pass no judgment. (Yes, yes, Hayes. A first.) It’s too bad it happened. I hope some good comes out of it.

• Sep 29, 20119:38 pm
      by Laser

A bit more. Sorry, I can’t help myself. (Another first!) The responses on each end of the spectrum confuse me a little. No sense pretending like his legacy is instantly and permanently destroyed; everybody loves a redemption story, especially we Detroiters. He could spin this into a Mayoral career if everything goes right. And, on the other hand, I don’t think anyone would treat him like a victim here if he’d killed their step-grandfather (or whoever). He’s in the hands of Lady Justice now.

• Sep 29, 201110:29 pm
    by Jayg108

Good thing the gun wasn’t loaded.  Good thing Ben didn’t hurt anyone while he was loaded.  Things could be much worse.  I knew a guy who killed someone while driving home less than a mile.  Spent a couple years in jail for manslaughter.

Jalen Rose spent 20 days locked up for dui with no weapons.  Hope Ben doesn’t get anything worse.

• Oct 3, 20113:29 pm
    by Tony

Ben should pray that Judge Small doesn’t preside over his case…