Austin Daye focused on improving his field goal percentage at Impact

Brendan Bowers of SLAM has been covering the Impact Basketball Competitive Training Series and he recently caught up with Austin Daye. Daye gave some insight into specific areas he’s trying to improve:

“My Rookie year I shot a better percentage from two than I did my sophomore year, so I didn’t like that at all,” Daye told SLAMonline. “I’ve been focused in on that this summer, and that’s one of my main things I’m working on out here right now. I moved my three point percentage up in my second year, which is great, but to be an elite scorer, or good scorer in the League, you need to shoot a good percentage, so my in-between game and post-game are a couple things I’m trying to work on out here.”

Daye did indeed back-slide shooting the ball, falling from 46 percent as a rookie to 41 percent last season. But the positive is his 3-point percentage jumped from 30 percent as a rookie to 40 percent last season. If Daye is able to get his overall field goal percentage back around 45 percent while maintaining the elite 3-point shooting, he could see a big jump in his scoring numbers next season.

• Sep 22, 20116:35 pm
    by Jodi Jezz

Austin Daye if you can hear me, work on your defense! Your good on the offensive side buddy…

• Sep 23, 20118:15 am

Can’t say that I agree. While his D needs work, his O he has demonstrated in NBA games has not yet been up to snuff either. His shots look pretty but he is thus far way too inefficient. So if he can get up his FG%, that’s be huge.

• Sep 23, 20119:26 am
      by neutes

He’s never going to be good at defense. If he worked his tail off, and I’m not even really sure how you exactly go about working at defense in the first place given that most of it happens to involve some combination of athleticism, effort, reaction, and anticipation – 3 of which you pretty much can’t change at birth, he’ll still be bad at defense. I suppose he could watch film. Go talk to the new man Klask, oh wait, he can’t do that yet. Well, when he can they can get in the video room and analyze his opponents tendencies before each game. Go over a boat load of stats to figure out what his opponents do and don’t do well. That might help.

So he just needs to focus on offense, which is a skill he can build on his own. And being that the likelihood he’s ever average at defense is slim, he’s probably going to want to have at least the other part of his game be above average, but preferably great.

• Sep 23, 20112:18 pm
        by Jodi Jezz

Here is an off topic question…Would you trade Daye for Micheal Beasley? He is a better defender than Daye and there both around the same age…

• Sep 23, 20112:51 pm
          by neutes

No. Why would I do that?

• Sep 24, 201111:51 am

Yu seriously don’t think a player can work to improve his defense? That’s a

• Sep 22, 20117:53 pm
    by detroitpcb

If he scores and rebounds like he did in Vegas we don’t need to worry about his defense. He brings a lot to the table especially if he consistently hits that one-dribble, two dribble, or in the paint fall away shot. Any good coach will be able to hide Daye’s defensive weaknesses because of Daye’s incredible length. You simply have to switch the screen on the outside and have awareness and provide help against the drive in isolation. Daye can both challenge outside shots and recover against drives because of his length. Getting around screens is never going to be his forte.

• Sep 23, 201112:01 am
      by Jodi Jezz

Well I hope we’re successful in trading for a defensive center to hide his defensive weaknesses!

• Sep 23, 20114:25 am
    by Gregoire

We all hope that we can get a defensive-minded Center in a trade, but which one is on the table apart from Dwight who I think is out of reach for the Pistons?

• Sep 23, 20118:18 am

All long shots, but Nene, Gasol, and Oden are all FAs. Also, Monroe has the potential to improve drastically on D.

• Sep 23, 20118:27 am
        by max

The risk for Oden is too high,Nene is not a good defender and Gasol might be a lil bit overrated.Let’s hope for the 2012 draft.

• Sep 23, 20119:31 am
          by Murph

Unfortuneately, the 2012 draft looks to be very weak for centers.  Except for Andre Drummond, who will probably not drop far enough for the Pistons to select, the 2012 draft offers slim pickins’ for centers.

The two best centers that will probably be available when the Pistons select are Tyler Zeller and DeWayne Dedmon.

Perhaps a better way to go would be to groom Monroe as the Pistons center of the future, and try to draft a real stud at PF or SF, such as McAdoo, Sullinger, Miller, Perry Jones, or Gilchrist.

• Sep 23, 20112:21 pm
        by Jodi Jezz

What about Emaka Okafor, he seems like a pretty good fit for the Pistons…Trade Rip in a three team trade that includes Okafor…

• Sep 24, 201111:55 am

Why three teams? Why not Rip for Okafor straight up? Detroit gets the slightly better player at a position of much more need in the league with one more year of a bad contract on him. So Detroit would probably have to throw in a sweetener but nothing much. Singler might suffice.

• Sep 23, 201111:42 am

Nene is not a good defender? Really? He may not be an elite defender. But he is decently above average. Oden is a risk, but whether he is too big a risk depends on his price tag. The biggest problem with Gasol is he will probably be impossible to pry away from Memphis. Really the best shot is Monroe. But what Detroit needs isn’t a plug at a particular position, it’s a superstar at any position. Until then, the Pistons won’t get back to contention. That’s why I’m a big fan of Oden if he can be signed at a reasonable price. Sure, there is a chance he won’t ever overcome injuries. But if he does, he has superstar potential (as a defensive center, no less). Don’t forget: the hype on Oden when he entered the league was higher than it was on Griffin.

• Sep 23, 201112:35 pm
    by Laser

daye wants to improve his FG%? if that’s not news, i don’t know what is!