Going 5-on-5 with Detroit Pistons questions

Dan and I participated in today’s ESPN 5-on-5, which discusses some key issues around the Pistons when/if next season starts. LZ Granderson from ESPN (and a native Detroiter), Kyle Weidie from Truth About It and Brett LaGree from Hoopinion also participated. Here were a few of my favorite responses:

LaGree on the SF and PF spots:

Bret LaGree, Hoopinion: If Jerebko fully recovers from his Achilles injury he could develop into a fine complementary starter for a good team. Less optimistically, unless Joe Dumars does something impressive, the Pistons’ power forward of the future is on the roster and his name is Charlie Villanueva.

Granderson on Greg Monroe‘s ceiling:

LZ Granderson, ESPN.com: I’d be very happy with David West. Like him, Monroe lacks the size and explosiveness to be dominant in the paint but he’s a hard worker. A solid double-double and good interior D is not bad at all. And he’s a pretty good passer. If Max had his size or if Monroe had Max’s explosiveness, Detroit would have a hell of a player. Oh well.

Feldman on when the Pistons will make the playoffs again:

Dan Feldman, Piston Powered: Typing those previous answers was tough. The Pistons require a lot of work before they can even see the light at the end of the tunnel. Still, making the playoffs isn’t that hard (most teams do it), and the Pistons have a solid amount of talent and a few improving youngsters. 2013.

Here were the five questions if anyone would like to participate in the comments:

1. Who should start at PG and SG for Detroit?
  2. Are the Pistons’ future SF and PF on the roster?
  3. What is the ceiling for Greg Monroe?
  4. Should Detroit try to keep Tayshaun Prince and Rip Hamilton?
  5. When will the Pistons make the playoffs again?

• Aug 25, 20112:49 pm
    by Jakob Eich

a. Knight and Gordon
    I don’t see sense in starting anyone but Knight! He’s our future PG anyway so why not start developing him right away. Taking away playing time is taking away learning opportunities. As for the SG, either you go with Stuckey who is kind of a ball hog and really one dimensional but good defensively or you go with Gordon, who used to be one of the most prolific scorers and is just entering his prime. I’d like to see how Gordon works in an offensive system which actually functions. Rip should be the back-up and Stuckey, well, trade him … Dumars has basically surrendered his opinion of Stuckey as the future PG by drafting Knight! Might as well get rid of him and get a PF!
    b. Maybe if Jerebko returns from his injury in great form. Otherwise I don’t see any starting caliber player at either position
    c. Boarderline All-Star! Maybe an 18 and 10 kind of player, no more, possibly less. I know it might seem like too little, but think about how great it is to have a 10 and 10 guy at the Center spot. It’s rare so I wouldn’t mind it!
    d. Don’t trade Rip, in a healthy player-coach relationship he can still be an above average player. Trade Tay to a contender and get a draft pick in return. He deserves to be on a winning team. Now, if the right trade presents itself and somebody wants Rip, ship him out as well. I just don’t see it so I don’t want to be bitter. He’s one of my favorite Pistons ever and I will cherish every moment of him donning the blue, white and red.
    e. If everything goes right, 2012 or 2013. They won’t compete for a title for quite a few years, but despite this dismal season they weren’t far off. They might even be a .500 squad next season. .500 and competing is a huge difference. They will be swept, but it’d be nice to see!

• Aug 25, 20114:59 pm
      by Marvin Jones

Knight hasn’t shown anything at Kentucky to suggest that he’s our “PG of the future”, he’s trying to learn the position just like Stuckey and with Stuckey’s size and experience I’d take him over Knight any day of the week. We have 3 guards ( Stuckey, Knight & White) that played some point in college and I think with that versatility we don’t really need a true PG, run an offense that can take advantage of the strengths that each player possess.

• Aug 25, 20119:08 pm
        by Jacob

“We have 3 guards ( Stuckey, Knight & White) that played some point in college and I think with that versatility we don’t really need a true PG, run an offense that can take advantage of the strengths that each player possess.”

Really? That sounds like the philosophy the last 2 years that resulted in 57 combined wins, horrible team chemistry, and probably the most predictable head coach firing in team history.

• Aug 26, 201110:34 am
          by Marvin Jones

I think the last two years were more an indictment on the coach and his system than overall philosophy, lets see what Frank can do to define roles, have a consistent rotation and how all of that affects team chemistry. I think we’ll be a better team from the start just beacuse of the type of coach he is

• Aug 25, 20119:35 pm

@Marvin:

“Knight hasn’t shown anything at Kentucky to suggest that he’s our “PG of the future”, he’s trying to learn the position just like Stuckey.”

Well, I think the difference is Knight is 19 with only one year of college experience and still trying to learn the position while Stuckey was a four-year two-year college player and physically big and strong enough to adapt to the NBA quickly. Stuckey is probably the better option right now, but Knight getting a lot of minutes at PG is really important.

And although Stuckey did play PG a little in college, he was primarily an off-guard. Knight is still learning the position, but he was a full-time PG his one season at Kentucky, so hopefully that helps him adapt to the position better than Stuckey did when he became a full-time PG for the first time as a pro.

• Aug 25, 20119:31 pm

@Jakob:

“Dumars has basically surrendered his opinion of Stuckey as the future PG by drafting Knight!”

That doesn’t mean he’s surrendered on Stuckey though, he might just believe Stuckey should be the shooting guard next to Knight.

• Aug 26, 201110:44 am
        by khandor

Dumars’ decision to draft Brandon Knight with the No. 8 Selection in this year’s NBA Draft means only that he believes Mr. Knight was the best available player. Period. How Misters Stuckey and Knight develop, however, will be determined by [#1] their own level of hard work, and [#2] the specific way they are eventually used by their head coach[es].
        Fundamentally, there is nothing wrong with either of the following rotations:
        1st Unit: Stuckey + Gordon + Prince + Monroe + Wilcox 2nd Unit: Knight + Hamilton + Daye + Jerebko [or Maxiell or Villanueva] + FA [or Wallace]
        1st Unit: Knight + Hamilton + Prince + Monroe + Wilcox 2nd Unit: Stuckey + Gordon + Daye + Jerebko [or Maxiell or Villanueva] + FA [or Wallace]
        As long as Coach Frank avoids using:
        i. Bynum ii. Hamilton, at SF iii. Knight/PG + Gordon/OG iv. Gordon/OG + Hamilton/SF
        the Pistons should be able to compete for the final 2 playoff spots in the EC next season.

• Aug 26, 201111:01 am
        by Marvin Jones

I don’t think Dumars’s drafting of Knight says anything about Stuckey, it just so happened that with all the bigs that he liked being gone, Knight was the “best player available” and most GMs will draft that player regardless of position. Now he has to figure out what to do with him.

• Aug 29, 20119:52 am
        by Jakob Eich

@ Patrick: Oh, yeah, I think he’s given up on Stuckey being the PG, not on the overall skill set he has! I believe Knight will be a better PG than Stuckey ever was, maybe not in PPG or even APG but in running the offense!

• Aug 26, 20118:20 am
      by detroitpcb

Knight & Stucky – Ben Gordon should be traded

Yes, Daye at the 3 and Monroe at the 4

15 & 10 for 10 years

no, no, and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

2013

• Aug 25, 20114:20 pm
    by Jacob

There are really no right answers here but I’ll give it shot.
    a. Knight and Rip – Bynum and Stuckey backing them up, trade BG if possible (no easy task)
    b. No. I like Jerebko at PF, but I’m not convinced about Daye at SF. I think he’ll improve but I don’t think it’ll be drastic enough to make him the SF of the future, but he’ll suffice as the SF for now (see answer d)
    c. 18 and 10 and an All-Star within 4 years. His ppg could go up from there if some of the ball-dominating “scorers” are thinned out.
    d. I like Tay but I think his time here is done and a sign and trade for frontcourt help would be ideal. Keep Rip, trade BG, Stuckey would be a solid backup at SG.
    e. I’m going to go out on a limb and say if they do these things then 2012. Not because I think they’ll have a good team but in a lockout shortened season with a compressed schedule crazy things can happen and spots 5-8 in the east are pretty wide open.

• Aug 25, 20119:39 pm

I understand why people want to keep Hamilton over Gordon. His contract is slightly better, he’s a more well-rounded SG and plays better defense than Gordon.

I think the underlying thing that has to be considered is whether Hamilton wants to stay. If he truly wants to stay and is cool with winning the SG spot back by out-playing everyone in camp/preseason, then great. If he doesn’t and they keep him, he automatically becomes a negative presence. I would love the Pistons to have an energetic, engaged, happy Hamilton on the team. But after not seeing that guy for about three seasons now, I’m not convinced he still exists.

• Aug 25, 20117:32 pm
    by Tiko

a. Knight and Stuckey with Gordon as sixth man.  The best way for Knight to learn is to throw him out there.

b. yes, at least the near future just to see what we have in them.  Daye and Jerebko should start this year.

c.  Greg Monroe will average a double double no matter what.  If they run more offense thru him he could score 16+ pts a game.

d. No and No.  love Tay and Rip but its time for the young guys to get more minutes.  they have no place on a rebuilding team

e.  Hopefully by the 2012-13 season after another important piece is added thru the 2012 draft.  the goal of 2011-12 should be to develop chemistry among the young core.

• Aug 25, 20119:43 pm

“The best way for Knight to learn is to throw him out there.”

He definitely needs minutes to develop, and the Pistons have definitely messed up on a few young players by not playing them enough. But I really don’t want them to just make Knight the starter because he’s a lottery pick and the team needs him to succeed.

I would love him to win the starting job by going into camp, out-working Stuckey and Bynum and proving he’s the best option at PG on the roster. I don’t think it does him any good by giving him a prominent, starting role before he’s ready.

The one thing I think John Kuester did successfully last year was handle Greg Monroe. Monroe had an up and down camp and he wasn’t very good in the preseason. The coaches told him he wasn’t going to play until they saw more energy and better rebounding. Monroe started getting minutes and then started doing those things, he clearly won the job by out-performing everyone else and never gave it up. I think that was really good for him to learn that lesson as a young player and I hope a similar strategy is used with Knight.

• Aug 26, 201112:18 am
        by Tiko

u make a good point about Kuester with Monroe.  hopefully Frank has a good plan for Knight.  how would u feel if all the vets were gone and Daye and Jerebko were the main forwards on the team?  I think it’d be win-win.  we get to see what we have and if they lose games we get a high draft pick. theres a difference between developing the young guys and tanking..

• Aug 26, 20118:56 am

Yeah, I’d be totally fine with that approach. I’m not convinced Daye or Jerebko are starting-caliber players at SF or PF, but I am convinced that next year’s lottery will be loaded with players who are starting caliber. So, best case scenario, Daye and/or Jerebko develops into a really good starter, worse case, both show they are better suited as reserves and you get a chance to pick a cornerstone next year.

• Aug 25, 20119:06 pm
    by Druhouse

1. Stuck/BG, soon to become Knight/BG or Knight/Stuck
    2. I think JJ or Daye could either be the 3 of the future, but really JJ will be a great energy guy off the bench. If we can get a big at the 5 and move Monroe to the 4 great, but very unlikely. So myabe we have a starting 3 but not really.
    3) I think he could be very very good, not a star, but maybe sneak into an All-Star game or two for his consistency and hustle. Definetly a great piece to start a rebuilding process.
    4) Sweet lord, no. I love Tay, and Rip WAS good. But we need to find out what young pieces work and fast, move them out and let them fill out the roster for a contender.
    5) They might make them in 2011-2012, but I would like them to hold out and get another lottery pick to put this youth movement in full effect, maybe use it to get a starting 3 or 4. One more draft to get talent through then Frank will know who he wants to keep around and who can be packaged and shipped out.

• Aug 25, 20119:46 pm

“JJ will be a great energy guy off the bench.”

I honestly think Jerebko could become one of the best sixth men in the league, getting minutes at all three frontcourt spots depending on matchups. Unfortunately, the Pistons have no one better in front of him at the four right now.

• Aug 25, 201110:03 pm
    by Jodi Jezz

A. Stuckey and Gordon should start next season, that’s easy
    B. SF? Hopefully we can make a trade for one…PF? If we are smart, Monroe!…C? hopefully we trade for one with Utah!!
    C. Monroe ceiling is high, his game is similar to Tim Duncan…I see a lot of potential in Monroe!
    D. No!! Sign and Trade Prince/Jonas/draft pick in a three team trade and try to go for Josh Smith.. Trade Hamilton in a three team trade to the contender and include Daye/draft pick in that trade…
    E. Hopefully next season…

• Aug 26, 201112:23 am
    by Saul

A. Stuckey starts at PG until Knight proves he is clearly better, and Ben Gordon at SG with enough 30plus minutes to give him no excuses for not producing.

B. No, the Pistons have young assets to flip for the starting SF. PF should be Monroe but he may be at C unless Detroit finds a great Center like Dwight Howard – not likely.

C. 20 and 10 and an All-Star isn’t too much to expect, he reminds me very much of Tim Duncan. May not be as good as Duncan (how many have been) but he’ll be a legit All-Star for years.

D. Absolutely not. Rip is unhappy and needs to play on a team that matters, that is in contention to revitalize him. Tayshaun is similarly unhappy not contending. Tay may try hard to have a good attitude about it but the lack of championship contending will drag him down unless he is traded.

F. Detroit won 30 games with the worst dysfunction in the NBA. The team won’t embarrass itself again this year and that alone, in the weak East plus the improvement from Monroe and the other young players should spell at least a low seed for the postseason,

• Aug 26, 20115:21 am
    by oats

a: Stuck and Gordon. The real answer is that it depends on who we have on the roster. I don’t have answers to the questions about which player can fetch what in return, or how badly Rip wants out of town, or any other factor that would go into determining which trades make the most sense. As a result, I’m assuming the the roster will look like how it currently stands. So, Knight needs serious minutes, but I don’t want him starting until he wins the job outright. I don’t think handing over the starting job because of draft position sends the right message, and if Knight can’t beat out Stuckey for the job he probably shouldn’t have it anyways. I think Stuckey is slightly ahead of Bynum, and will hold Knight off for the starting PG job. I also think Gordon and Hamilton will be close enough to match them up with the back court partner that makes the most sense for them. I like the Stuckey/Gordon pairing more than Stuckey/Hamilton, and similarly I like Knight/Hamilton more than Knight/Gordon.

b: Hard to tell, but I’d say no and no. I know a lot of people like the idea of moving Monroe to PF, but I’m betting that will never happen. Monroe is perfectly capable of playing center. If the given measurements are accurate, Monroe is slightly bigger than Bill Laimbeer. Like Laimbeer, Monroe’s offensive game is versatile enough that it doesn’t make sense to leave him in the low post at all times. He’s not as strong as Laimbeer, but he is young and can get there. Monroe, like Laimbeer, is not the greatest athlete and ideally should be partnered with someone more athletic than him. There are definitely centers that fit that description, but those guys are hard to get. It is just far more likely that the Pistons add a PF to partner with Monroe than a center. On top of that, I should also point out how poor of a job position labels do of describing players. If someone like Javale McGee is added, then who is really which position? Is McGee that much different than say Ed Davis? Most people would say Monroe is the 4 next to McGee and the 5 next to Ed Davis, but I’m not certain what the difference is in what Monroe would be doing. This question really should be do the Pistons have their future front court partner for Monroe instead of their future PF. By the way, I’m assuming the future SF/PF means someone the Pistons will have when they are good, and not just someone they are stuck with for the next couple years.

JJ is an interesting player for this question as he could be the Pistons future at either spot. I personally think his greatest value is his versatility, and should not have a single position but rather let match ups dictate where he is playing. As a result I see him as a super sub like Patrick described instead of as being the answer for a single position. Basically that makes him Lamar Odom. I still think Austin Daye is more of a SG than SF. I just can’t imagine him being able to guard the big SFs in the league for a significant length of time. However, Daye will likely always play some SF in a reserve role. I don’t see Singler as a starting caliber SF. I like his odds of being a rotation player, but not a starter. CV has shown he will never be a starting PF, but he does have some value on the bench. I like Wilcox as a player, but he is another guy who just isn’t a starter for a good team.

c: All Star caliber player. Not every All Star caliber player makes it to the All Star Game. His ceiling is right around a 20 and 10 with quality defense and superb passing. That would  make him somewhere around the level of Pau Gasol or LaMarcus Aldridge. I’d bet against that happening though as hardly anyone reaches the best possible scenario as envisioned from this early on in their career. That said, 15 and 8 with okay defense and good passing is his floor. I’d say the most likely scenario is that given the right circumstances he might sneak into an All Star Game or two, and he’ll be in the discussion in several other years. So roughly equivalent to Nene.

d: I’ll say no and no. I like Prince, but Detroit has too many perimeter guys and Prince is not a long term answer at small forward. I just don’t see how his trade value would be worth the extra clutter in his position, especially when you consider how much he’ll make. If the goal is to get someone to push Daye and Singler, a cheaper alternative could be found. Meanwhile he’ll be taking minutes from Daye and Singler, and frankly I would rather give them a chance to prove me wrong than hold on to Prince. However, if Rip and Gordon both leave I wouldn’t mind keeping Prince. As for Rip, the question is try to keep him. If I could choose between dumping him or Gordon for the same return then I’d dump Gordon. I think Rip meshes with the talent on the team better than Gordon, and his contract is much easier to live with. That said, I’d actively be trying to dump Rip in case Gordon can’t be moved or if Rip just fetches a better return. Again, I wouldn’t mind dumping both of them, but if we do we should probably add another SG or SF either in a trade or by free agency.

e: 2012-13. The East is bad, but the Pistons aren’t ready for a playoff run yet. Development from the young guys and another lottery pick gives them a good chance to make it in 12-13 in a terrible Eastern Conference. The real question is if they will have enough talent after that to become a contender or if they will get stuck as a bottom tier playoff team. I like to think they might be able to become contenders once the Hamilton/Gordon/Villanueva deals are off the books, but that all depends on how players develop, what trades can be made, and what they do with what I hope is cap space that year.

• Aug 26, 20116:55 am
    by Adrià

A.-Stuckey and Gordon. I think they’re now our best guards, so we need them to play. I’d like to see Knight playing every game more minutes and (if he deserves) finishing the season as our starter PG, while we move Stuckey to the SG position and Gordon as a great shooter on the bench.

B.- I think that not at all. If Daye gets stronger, he can be our Sf of the future, but I don’t really belive it. He’s not a starter. On the PF spot, my option is Monroe, but now, without a center, it’s impossible. Jerebko is a grat player, but I see him going out of the bench.

C.- Monroe’s ceiling depends on his position. If he plays as a center, he’ll have more strugle to score and rebound, because he’s not strong enough, but if he plays as a PF and without any great scorer in the Pistons, he will score more than 17 points per game and he’ll get about 10-12 rebounds. Maybe he’s not a star, but he’s a very useful player.

D.- I would trade Hamilton. He has had bad behavior and he has no willing to play with us. Prince is more dificult. We don’t have any other starting SF at the moment, so I think we need him now. In a recent future I will trade him (if it’s possible for a center).

E.- It’s imposible to know. it depends of many things: trades, young talent, injuries, free agents. I hope it will be soon.

• Aug 26, 20118:26 am

I was surprised that nobody mentioned Horford for the question about Monroe’s upside. Almost everything about Monroe’s game screams Al Horford to me. Which would be lovely too. A solid, efficient scorer and rebounder. Above average defender (ok, MOnroe has to do some work there) and never turns the ball over.

• Aug 26, 20119:00 am

Honestly, the defense is why I didn’t mention Horford. I would absolutely love it if Monroe gets to Horford-level though and I don’t think that’s entirely unrealistic to expect that he will.

• Aug 26, 20119:14 am

Gotcha. That does make sense. He is just the player I’ve seen the most similarity to in Monroe. And Horford’s defense wasn’t fantastic as a rookie either.

• Aug 26, 20119:35 am

You’re right. I think another reason people don’t immediately think Horford when coming up with comparisons for Monroe is the fact that his skillset was really different in college than it was in the pros. Heading into the draft, most projected Monroe as a better offensive player than a defensive player and rebounder. He wasn’t a great rebounder at Georgetown and because of his high-post passing, there were a lot of comparisons to Webber/Divac/Brad Miller good passing big men types. I liked Monroe’s game a lot in college, but I do have to admit, he was a different type of player as a rookie than I thought he would be. I had no idea he’d rebound that well that quickly in the NBA.

• Aug 26, 201110:40 am
    by Murph

“I think the underlying thing that has to be considered is whether Hamilton wants to stay. If he truly wants to stay and is cool with winning the SG spot back by out-playing everyone in camp/preseason, then great.”

I don’t see any indication that Hamilton wants to leave, now that Kuester is gone.

Also, in all analysis of Hamilton and his “bad attitude”, I don’t think enough emphasis is put on Kuester and his role in the whole debacle.

Admittedly, when Hamitlon was benched, he wasn’t playing all that well, but he wasn’t benched because of an attitude problem or because of his poor level of play.  Initially, Rip was benched because he was involved in a proposed trade.  His agent (Leon Rose) worked out a potential trade (with no help from Joe) that would have benifited the Pistons.  The proposed 3-way trade would have sent Rip to NJ for Troy Murphy’s expiring contract, Johan Petro, and a 1st or 2nd round pick, which was about as well as the Pistons would have hoped for at that point in the season.

Unfortunately, the deal fell though when Carmelo Anthony vetoed the trade.  However, even after the deal fell through, Kuester refused to play Rip for the next 23 out of 24 games, even though Rip was perfectly healthy, and no long involved in any realistic trade proposals.

To make matters worse, the Pistons organization (probably the coaching staff) started to leak negative stories about Hamitlon to the local press, who gleefully ran the stories.

So what was Hamilton supposed to do?  Sit on the bench and take it all from some incompetent coach and his dim-witted staff???  Not Hamilton.  He’s too fiesty for that.

I actaully admire the way in which Hamilton handled the situation.  He rallied his teammates to his cause.  He got himself inserted back into the starting rotation.  He improved his play by season’s end.  And he eventually helped to get John Kuester fired.

Well done, Rip!  I hope you stay in the D for as long as you want.

• Aug 26, 201110:42 am
    by Gregoire

It all has been said already!!!
    Move Tay and Rip away for some Pics, start Stuckey and Gordon until Knight earns the Job. Then Start Knight and Gordon and move Stuckey to the Bench. Try to get an athletic Center to be able to move Monroe to the Four. Let Daye proove himself as Small Forward, if that fails then get one via Free Agency, Draft or Trade. Go with Jerebko from the Bench. Only question that remains is what to do with Villanueva and Maxiell? Both are Crap and have Zero Value neither to the Team nor as Trade-asset.

• Aug 26, 201110:47 am
    by neutes

a. Stuckey and Rip should and probably will start if they are both on the team. I’m not at all convinced Stuckey is a better SG than PG, in fact, I’m almost sure he’s not. Knight has to earn his playing time. I’m not handing over the reigns to a rookie PG that had a poor shooting percentage, high turnover rate, and low assist numbers in college. The growing pains would be pretty painful.

b. No. I think it’s more likely the future SF is on the roster than the future PF. The future PF is assuredly not on the roster.

c. I have no idea what Monroe’s ceiling is. I would say 16/10 to be conservative. He has the tools to be very good and he showed flashes of a solid post game last season. He also flashed his jumper here and there but he doesn’t exactly have a quick release on that.

d. Tay should definitely leave, both for his sake and the majority of Pistons fans. I don’t want anything in return for him. I’m actually hoping against a sign and trade because I think whatever we take back won’t be all that good, so what’s the point? Rip can stay if Gordon can be traded. Rip can go if he’s moved easily. I don’t wanna take back junk. I’d rather keep Rip and his soon to be favorable contract.

e. It’s conceivable the Pistons could make the playoffs next season, or whenever that season exists. It all depends though. If Stuckey and Rip start and play well, if Daye, Jerebko, and Monroe improve, if Knight plays sparingly, Gordon shoots and scores off the bench, and Wallace can stay healthy and manage 20 min per game I could see the Pistons with a .500ish record. I don’t think anything I said if about is really all that outside the realm of possibility at all. If Knight plays a lot and we suffer through his growing pains we’re going to be a bad team, which is also fine, as long as he improves over the course of the season. The problem is our peak is about .500. I’m not sure where to go after that. If making the playoffs is really the goal I suppose this team isn’t that far away, but it’s pretty far away from contending, infinitely far away.

• Aug 26, 201111:01 am
    by Murph

a.  Stuckey and Rip
    b.  I’d like to see Jerebko, Daye and Singler all get some minutes at SF.  The one who plays best should continue to start.
    c.  Personally, I’d like to see the Pistons acquire a starting, big, defensive minded center through free agency, such as Jordan or Dalembert, and then have Monroe start at PF.  If that’s not possible, then Monroe should start at C, with Jerebko starting at PF.  However, that leaves the front line thin and under-sized.

d.  Prince is gone.  He would be crazy to re-sign with the Pistons.  The best the Pistons can hope for is that Tay agrees to a sign and trade.  Rip will be difficult to trade with his contract.  Gordon might be easier to trade because of his age.  Regardless, the Pistons urgently need to trade one or the other.  I would prefer they keep Rip and trade Gordon.

e.  Hopefully, the Pistons will make the playoffs in 2013 or 14.

• Aug 26, 201112:47 pm
    by Murph

I’m not sure what Monroe’s upside is.  He very well could develop into an 18/10 guy and become an All-Star.

But IMO, what will really make Monroe stand out is if some coach figures out a way to use the excellent passing and playmaking skills that Monroe displayed in college on the NBA level.  Monroe averaged almost 4 apg as a sophomore and almost 3 apg as a freshman, as Georgetown’s center.

To put that in perspective, Brandon Knight averaged 4.2 apg last year as a freshman PG at KY.

I’d like to see Lawrence Frank figure out a way to incorporate Monroe’s impressive passing skills into the Pistons offense.  IMO, Frank should even try to run the Pistons offense through Monroe in the high post, on occasion, the way Chris Webber was ocassionally used.