Terry Foster: Dan Gilbert would’ve been a better Pistons owner than Tom Gores

Terry Foster of The Detroit News:

The Pistons have their new owner and my guess is Tom Gores won’t be the savior that many expect. He’s fun. He seems like an OK guy. But he is not going to be our Mark Cuban, who wants to win at any cost. I don’t think Gores will be a guy that makes Detroit his permanent home.

Cuban lives in Dallas and is willing to fight for the Mavericks and their fans. Gores will bring stability to the Pistons, but I don’t get the feeling he’ll bleed Pistons red, white and blue.

Gilbert lives and dies with his Cavaliers. He fights for his city, even when it makes him look foolish to people outside of Cleveland.

I have agree with Foster. No knock on Gores, who very well might end up a better owner than Gilbert, but Gores hasn’t shown the commitment Gilbert has. To be fair, Gores hasn’t had as much of a chance to do so, but I’ll take the safe choice. (Yes, the safe choice is the guy who once said of LeBron James, “Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.”)

I’ll pose the question: If right now, knowing everything you know, either Gores or Gilbert could own the Pistons, whom would you choose?

• Jul 7, 20119:00 pm
    by mcfadden

I disagree, I would choose Gores.

Both these guys seem like complete tools. I choose Gores because he hasn’t done anything stupid yet.

• Jul 8, 201111:40 am

Agreed.

• Jul 8, 201112:33 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Initially, I thought Gilbert’s reaction to LeBron leaving was stupid. The more I’ve thought about it, it wasn’t. Cleveland fans loved it, and they’re the source of his revenue.

• Jul 8, 20112:06 pm

I mean, the fans loved it. They’ll probably love it less if free agents don’t want to play for Cleveland because of it.

• Jul 8, 20112:18 pm
          by Dan Feldman

I can’t imagine a free agent turning down Cleveland for a smaller contract elsewhere because of Gilbert’s letter.

• Jul 10, 20119:01 pm
            by Andrew

However, I also can’t imagine a free agent accepting an offer from Cleveland if they have an equal value offer from any other team (as long as Griffin is there, even including the Clippers).  For the next several years they will have to over-bid for talent on the free agent market.  Gilbert badly damaged that team.  Winning the lottery again (not usually a conspiracy theorist, but it does seem odd) might bail them out, but it was still stupid.

• Jul 8, 201111:21 am
    by MPFIRM

i really like the hype and vibe that gilbert shows off and the fact hes hating on lebron due to the fact he bolted outta cleveland and the statement he made that he (lebron) wont win before cleveland does shows me he has balalas! i like that. but gores still has time. #pistons 4 life

• Jul 8, 201111:24 am
    by khandor

“Pining” for someone else who you don’t happen to have in your current company is a complete waste of resources.

• Jul 8, 201111:44 am
    by Pratik

Sometimes you have to leave emotions out of the game and think like a businessman. Gores can do that. Yes Cuban fights for his city, and lives and bleeds blue, but he won one championship this entire decade. Mavs were great with Steve Nash and Dirk, they never won. They were no.1 in the NBA and lost to 8th seeded Golden State. Lost to Miami in 06′ in the finals. And finally won this year. Dan Gilbert’s teams are even worse.
    Gores will be a better owner, because he will look to maximize revenue, and revenue won’t be maximized unless the Pistons are a good team, and people come to see them. I like how he put it, that I’m not here to make the basketball decisions, but I’m here to challenge Joe Dumars, that it is my responsibility to make sure Joe is doing everything and anything to make this team competitive again. So I politely disagree.

• Jul 8, 201112:59 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Pratik, I think nearly every year, there are a few teams capable of winning a title. One does. That doesn’t mean the others capable of winning a title should be viewed as failures. Cuban has kept the Mavericks’ title window open a long time, and he deserves a lot of credit for that.

The Cavaliers are rebuilding. Don’t judge Gilbert based purely on a W-L record too soon.

From a fan’s perspective, why do you care whether Gores maximizes revenue?

• Jul 8, 201112:01 pm
    by neutes

Gilbert and Cuban are guys that would blow whatever they had to put a winner on the court. Cuban has done it for years. Gilbert showed last season he’s willing to take on whatever bad contract comes his way as long as there is a lottery pick attached to it. When you go from first to worst I’m not sure there is a better strategy if you have the resources.

I’d take Gilbert no problem. There’s still no telling what type of owner Gores is going to be but he’ll probably try to run the Pistons efficiently rather than going all out like Gilbert or Cuban. Also Cuban and the Mavs have invested heavily in advanced stats and synergy, which by looking at the Pistons roster they have no clue about.

• Jul 8, 20111:00 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Neutes, I definitely agree taking bad contracts bundled with assets is a great way to build a team. It’s very creative and too few franchises show enough creativity in those types of decisions.

• Jul 8, 201112:52 pm
    by Jason

I completely disagree.   Cuban is all about spending no matter what.  I would bet he has lost money on the Mavericks every year.  I would rather have an owner more like Davidson than anyone else.  He put winning and profit together. I hope Gores is more like Davidson.

We need a hard cap in my opinion.

• Jul 8, 20111:01 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Jason, as a fan, why do you care whether the owner makes money?

• Jul 8, 20111:12 pm
        by Jason

Because I also like a level competitive field.  I would bet my house on it that we would probably have at least a couple more championships if the CBA made it harder to buy a championship.

As a fan don’t you want to have a more of a competitive field out there, Dan?

I am a purest Dan.  I just don’t like owners buying a championship even if it was the Pistons.  I like it if your owner and GM play there cards right by picking good drafts and getting good players on your team you will win. Plain and simple.

• Jul 8, 20111:42 pm
          by Dan Feldman

Jason, that’s a completely different argument. No matter what the terms of the next CBA, owners will have the option of spending more or less on their team than other owners. Why wouldn’t you want an owner who will spend more on your favorite team?

• Jul 8, 20112:05 pm
            by Jason

I don’t think its a different argument Dan.  I apoligize if you can’t understand the link with my argument.  And yes owners will have your option but lets hope the new CBA makes it a little harder for free spending owners.  For EVERYONES sake.

My point was I do care if my team and other teams strive to make a profit cause it will increase competitiveness throughout the league.  The teams who spend WISELY will win.

For an extreme example yes if I was a Yankee fan I would happy.  But I also would know in the back of my mind that my team (I am a Tigers fan by the way) bought all them championship.

Don’t you care about fairness and winning cause you are the best overall organization, Dan?

• Jul 8, 20112:20 pm
            by Dan Feldman

One team spending wisely is not going to convince any other team to follow suit. The owners who want to turn a profit above all else will continue trying to do so. The owners who want to win above all else will continue trying to do so.

What’s unfair about spending more money? I’m not for breaking the rules, but stretching the rules for your advantage? Why not?

• Jul 8, 20112:27 pm
            by Jason

Well your not understanding my point.  You are allowed to disagree.  I just want a level playing field.

Your questions don’t make sense.  You ask what is unfair about spending more money and then ask why you can’t stretch the rules.  Kind of contradicting isnt it?

• Jul 8, 20113:22 pm
            by Dan Feldman

I’ll rephrase: whether Gores, Gilbert or anyone else owns the Pistons, the playing field will be just as fair. As a fan, I’d want an owner who does all he can within the rules to help his team. Making the playing field level must be done through collective bargaining with the players’ union, not choosing an owner for the Detroit Pistons.

• Jul 8, 20111:54 pm
    by brgulker

I don’t think we really know anything about Gores yet. I like that he’s implicitly holding Dumars accountable in the media, and I like that he’s hired consultants to help make appropriate decisions, and I like that he’s saying all the right things in the media.

But ultimately, as long as he opens his checkbook for quality players, what more do you want?

We don’t have any way of knowing if he’s willing to do that yet.

So I’ll say I can’t really answer the question yet.

• Jul 8, 20112:25 pm
      by Dan Feldman

C’mon, Gulker, you can make decisions without perfect information. The question is supposed to be challenging.

• Jul 8, 20113:38 pm
    by Rodman4Life

Cuban and Gilbert get such high marks for being “passionate” about their teams because they have such over-the-top personalities.  It doesn’t take a strong personality to be passionate.  The Knicks will spend money to no end, but they buy crap assets.  I want team identity, not just success.  If you play a certain way (dictated by expectation) then I can be passionate about my Pistons even when they are NOT successful (win).

• Jul 8, 20115:35 pm
    by mcfadden

I don’t think Dan Gilbert deserves any respect. We would not even know his name if it weren’t for Lebron. He bought the Cavs thinking that he’d would have Lebron forever, it backfired, and he shit the bed.
    He should thank Lebron for “The Decision”, because without it David Stern wouldn’t have gift-wrapped Kyrie Irving/Tristan Thompson for them.
    Not going to lie, Gores scares me a little bit though. He just seems super cheesy.

• Jul 8, 20115:36 pm
    by mcfadden

He should thank Lebron for “The Decision”, because without it David Stern wouldn’t have gift-wrapped Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson for them.

• Jul 9, 20112:51 am
    by Darin

I’m not sure about Gores yet. From the press conference and the interview on draft night he seems to no know what he is doing but that is why he is keeping Dumars around. I think Gores seems like a passionate owner but time will tell if he has his heart in it or not.

• Jun 30, 20131:28 pm
    by LiftDerm

Howdy this is somewhat of off topic but I was
    wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!