With the eighth pick in the 2011 TrueHoop Network mock draft, the Detroit Pistons select Bismack Biyombo

Previous picks

1. Cleveland Cavaliers – Kyrie Irving

2. Minnesota Timberwolves – Derrick Williams

3. Utah Jazz – Brandon Knight

4. Cleveland Cavaliers – Jonas Valanciunas

5. Toronto Raptors – Kemba Walker

6. Washington Wizards – Enes Kanter

7. Sacramento Kings – Kawhi Leonard

8. Detroit Pistons – Bismack Biyombo

I’m not as crazy as Patrick, who passed on Biyombo in his mock draft. The scouting report on Biyombo makes him a fairly ideal pick for the Pistons. They need defensive help, and there’s a chance Biyombo could enter the NBA and immediately help protect the rim.

Biyombo is the best athlete available, if not the best athlete in the entire draft. When the best athlete can potentially fill an immediate need, and you have the eighth pick in a weak draft, how can you pass on him? Unless one of the top prospects falls, I don’t think you should.

Of course, Biyombo has plenty of flaws. His hasn’t shown many skills with the ball in his hands. He’ll probably need time, as most players do, to learn NBA defense. And he might be much older than 18.

But his strengths – best athlete, potential to fill a need immediately – make him an obvious choice. I’m not going to overthink this one.

Rest of the first round

27. New Jersey Nets – Nolan Smith

28. Chicago Bulls – Darius Morris

29. San Antonio Spurs – Nikola Mirotic

30. Chicago Bulls – Iman Shumpert

• Jun 20, 20113:20 pm
    by Scott

According to your draft. Both Biyombo and Vesely would be available. That be a tough call for me.

• Jun 20, 20113:22 pm
    by balooga999

No huge complaints on picking Biyambo if the draft falls this way but I would still take Vesely.

• Jun 20, 20113:55 pm
      by neutes

Why do you guys want another Jerebko? We already have one Jerebko, leave him alone. Draft Bismack!

• Jun 20, 20114:33 pm
        by balooga999

I think Vesely grades out higher than Biyambo. Vesely is a “Tier 1″ player. Biyambo is more so a “Tier 2-3″ player. I think the NBA Draft more so than any other (esp. considering the Pistons situation) you take the best player available. I think you go to need when all else is equal; hence why I would take Vesely. If both grade out the same(ish) I go with Biyambo, I just don’t think that’s the case though.

• Jun 20, 20113:46 pm
    by qm22

I completely agree with this choice too. Dwight Howard was very raw offensively and skill wise at first and Biyombo looks like a similar athletic prospect. Biyombo is too tantalizing for me, if I were drafting. I also feel the safer picks in a weak draft like this are the type of talents the Pistons could acquire elsewhere in the future, through trades and later draft picks. If Biyombo does turn out to be a bust, it is just a part of the calculated risk.

• Jun 20, 20114:37 pm

Haha. Come on now man. Dwight Howard, when you factor in how huge he is, might be the best sheer athlete of all-time, and I’m not just talking about basketball. Biyombo is athletic, but he’s not Dwight-athletic.

• Jun 20, 20115:25 pm
        by qm22

I’m not sure why that is the case if it is a comparison to Dwight at the same age. Body wise, Dwight has 3/4 of an inch in height but 1.5″ less of a wingspan. Dwight probably had a better vertical but Biyombo was not measured. I am only hoping that Biyombo would be similar, not equal.

• Jun 20, 20114:23 pm
    by Sean

I do love me some Biyombo but the thing that scares me the most is the report from Chad Ford about him having an awful set of hands. I think you can forgive the lack of an offensive game so long as he isn’t a turnover machine but if he can’t be trusted to even facilitate the ball to other players or accept a nifty pass from Greg Monroe for an easy, low degree of difficulty layup or dunk then I get very concerned.

• [...] Kawhi Leonard, Sacramento Kings [Cowbell Kingdom] 8.) Bismack Biyombo, Detroit Pistons [PistonPowered] 9.) Marcus Morris, Charlotte Bobcats [Queen City Hoops] 10.) Alec Burks, Milwaukee Bucks [...]