Pistons to interview Mike Woodson a second time

Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press:

The Free Press has learned that former Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Woodson will be in town Thursday for his second interview with the Detroit Pistons.

Rehashing my Draft Dreams post on Woodson, I’m not thrilled about the him. Given how unexceptional his Atlanta defenses were, I don’t think he’s that safe a choice.

• Jun 29, 20115:59 pm
    by detroitpcb

I’m with you on this one Dan. I do not think Woodson can develop a team and take them to a championship level. Whether he is a good 3 year coach while the Pistons rebuild and get their young players minutes is also suspect. His offense was one dimentional and his defenses were never at a level high enough to win in the playoffs. I also thought his players tuned him out in Atlanta.

• Jun 29, 20116:39 pm
    by omar

please sign lawrence frank!!!!

• Jun 29, 20116:42 pm
    by Mike

Stop yourself on Frank.  Hire Lambeer.

• Jun 29, 20116:59 pm
    by Adams

Hire Patrick

• Jun 29, 20118:42 pm
      by Dan Feldman

I’d had to lose him, but I think he’d be a great choice.

• Jun 29, 20118:43 pm
        by Dan Feldman

You meant Hayes, not Ewing, right?

• Jun 29, 20119:15 pm
          by gmehl1977

Ha ha. Laser can be his assistant :-)

• Jun 30, 201112:11 am
            by Laser

i think i’d be a hell of an assistant coach. even if hayes was calling the shots and butting heads with me.

• Jun 29, 20117:10 pm
    by rob

I agree, Dan. This is not good news that he is only one asked back for another interview.
    80 games under .500 and 2 second round sweeps on his resume. Plus continuous conflicts with his best young player, Smith, and he seems like like the most UNsafe choice, imo. I dont know where these Pistons writers are getting this “safe pick” stuff from. Its bogus if you ask me.

• Jun 29, 20117:39 pm
    by omar

thats why hire lawrence fank

• Jun 29, 20117:42 pm
      by rob

Is that you Lawrence, disguised as Omar? lol

Never seen someone so interested in Lawrence Frank to coach their team. It must be you, Lawrence. :-)

• Jun 29, 20117:47 pm
    by Tre

I would like for our Coach to be Lambieer or Ewing !
    Sure Frank and Woodson are (So they say Defensive minded) experienced Head Coaches but neither of the two were Successful as coaches.
    Woodson with the one dimensional offense , Getting swept from the playloffs consecutively and drama going on with him and his players. As mentioned above.
    Frank isn’t an ‘Big’ upgrade from Woodson himself ! Those two coaches are coaches who’ve had opportunities and did not do well with their teams.
    Lambieer and Ewing on the other hand are ‘GREAT’ assistance that many would argue deserve a shot to run a team. Why Not ! I’m not going with Lambieer becuase he’s a ‘Great’ Pistons, I just feel we’d be better off getting a coach that’ll bring an attitude that supports this Néw Era were entering and a coach who has something to actually prove . . . NOT a Failed coach ! I highly believe Frank or Woodson wouldn’t last more than 3 years !

• Jun 29, 20117:49 pm
    by Robbie

I love how people bash Mike Woodson about his Defense and I’ll agree about his offense but you know the Hawks didn’t like to spend money on people you can play Defense or spend money at all except for Joe Johnson who is way over paid…. So no Frank, no Sampson, and no Ewing.. Lamibeer and Woodson should be the only 2 up for this Coaching job……

• Jun 29, 20118:40 pm
      by Dan Feldman

The Hawks had the eighth-highest payroll last year. They probably spend more than they should.

• Jun 30, 20112:05 pm
        by Robbie

That’s my point.. Their GM wanted to score Points not play Defense… they had alot more Offensive players than Defensive players alot like the Pistons.. If the Pistons are committed on D witch I think they are than his the best fit fir the job.. He can develop young talent and we need that… So Dan who do you want for Coach besides Lamibeer cuz he’s everybody’s Coach…

• Jun 29, 20118:03 pm
    by jon

i would have to agree with mike on this one

the pistons want a coach that has experiance but all coaches have to start somewhere and why not have them bring in lambeer cause he knows how the pistons are runned and its the best choice out there cause even tho he coached in the nba for (i believe) 10 years and won 3 titles there…..well hes smart enough for the job…..

my number one choice would be lambeer and then he can make his own staff of bob lenier (who he played with for a little bit with the pistons and then bring in mike woodson to coach cause not many teams need a head coach (only the pistons and i think the wolves) so the remaining ones without a job would have to accept a college offer or an assistant offer

so why not do that (Bring in lambeer and have him bring in lanier for defense help and woodson for offense help) and that would be best and the pistons better not bring in thomas cause at a time i thought he was going to be hired cause he is dumars friend but now with the new owner around…..and not davidson……the pistons would be doing more trades and a better coaching staff

the only change in the staff that i would keep is the trainer cause he is a genious with his work on mcgrady, making wallace his old self, keeping many healthy after big injuries

SO I WOULDNT BE MAD AT FRANK BUT I RATHER HAVE LAMBEER AND IF IT AINT LAMBEER I WOULD WANT WOODSON OR STRETCH IT A LITTLE AND TRY TO GET JERRY SLOAN FOR 2 YEARS….LOL……I KNOW HES OLD BUT HEY HES ONE OF THE BEST EVER SO WHY NOT BRING HIM IN TO CHANGE THIS TEAM AROUND

• Jun 29, 20118:33 pm
    by rob

I agree with Tre. 1. Laimbeer or 2. Ewing.

The rest are average at best. Laimbeer/Ewing may end up being terrible, but they also may end up being HOF type coach’s. The Pistons need to avoid players/coaches with average talent/skill, unless they are looking for role players/assistant coach’s. When you’re talking starters or head coach’s they need to have greatness in them. I think Laimbeer/Ewing might, I dont think Franks/Woodson do.

• Jun 29, 20118:39 pm
    by BIG MARV

IMO I would hire woodson but I would like too see a great assistant staff with him to hire Woodson and see if you get either Ewing or Lambeer as your asst Head coach. Get some young up and coming defensive minded coaches to go along with woodson. Then if you surround him with a good staff I think woodson would have it easier in DET. Woodson is a no non-sense guy which I like I think next year they just have to work on getting the locker room back thats why they went out and drafted good character guys; that’s what they need right now. The X’s and O’s will come later but GET YOUR RESPECT AND LOCKER ROOM BACK!

• Jun 29, 20119:33 pm
    by acr

i wish that we would look at some other candidates still… i would love it if we gave maurice cheeks a shot… especially after drafting knight… or maybe sam mitchell???

• Jun 29, 201110:55 pm
    by TealBlackGold

I honestly think we would have been better of keeping Kuester.
    Woodson runs slow, isolation offensive sets despite having TONS of athleticism to utilize.  His team wasn’t great defensively, but it was also built around guys whose best abilities are scoring the ball, not stopping it.
    While I won’t defend his defense, I certainly understand why they were poor defensively more than I understand his lack of ability to harness the pure talent his team had.  Sure offense is what got them as far as they did get, but his ability to creatively adapt is pathetic.  With Crawford, Johnson, Horford, and the freak athlete Smith, SOMETHING has to give.
    I also find it telling that with essentially the SAME exact roster the Hawks got past the Magic, the same team who dealt them some crushing blows.

+Head coaching experience

• Jun 29, 201111:56 pm
    by neutes

For the most part the players make the coach so I’m not too concerned about who gets hired to coach this team. The only difference is when you have extreme styles like Jeff Van Gundy (snail ball) or Mike D’antoni (6 seconds or less). Give any coach the players and he’ll look good. This roster as presently constructed isn’t going to make it easy on any coach. In other words no matter who gets hired if the roster doesn’t get fixed he’s going to look bad.

Woodson if fine by me. I’d like Laimbeer just for the heck of it, but I’m not going to say he’s the best coach for the job. I’d just like to see him get it because it would be fun and interesting.

• Jun 30, 201112:17 am
    by Laser

woodson isn’t “that” safe a choice? he isn’t a REMOTELY safe choice. there’s no reason anybody on the planet should have any respect for the guy.

this does seem like he’s going to get the job tomorrow before the lockout happens, which i have a baaaaaaaad feeling about. he never accomplished a damn thing as a head coach (steady improvement from a team loaded with young lottery/borderline-lottery picks and future all-stars means nothing). may as well be another assistant taking over for the first time. this looks bad.

it’s sort of too bad there’s no truly marquee candidates out there, guys who would make a splash. joe could really stand to swing for the fences here, rather than hire another career assistant who did nothing his first time in the top seat.

• Jun 30, 201112:49 am
    by neutes

I don’t know if Woodson is THAT bad of a choice. I’ll criticize players because their production can be quantified, and because I can watch and analyze their games. As for coaches I’ll admit I have no business saying this coach is better than that coach.

I’d prefer a coach that plays his best players, puts his players in the best position to succeed, and doesn’t play an unwatchable style of basketball – meaning he doesn’t play so slow the offense is unwatchable, or play so fast the defense is unwatchable. Woodson seems to meet these conditions. He got Josh Smith to stop shooting bad shots, which he kind of lost this season. Joe Johnson declined, but that could be age. It’s all a subjective thing. I’m not judging a coaching hire. I have no business doing so.

• Jun 30, 20113:16 pm
      by Laser

it’s weird that a detroit fan would have a serious problem with a slow offensive pace. that sort of grinding half-court offense was what we did in our heyday. it’s not particularly exciting in and of itself, but it works if you have the right personnel, and winning is exciting. to me at least.

i know some people get all bent out of shape about pace, but detroit fans? nah. not us. just have a sound offensive strategy, be efficient, and we should be happy. i’d rather watch a slow, plodding half-court offense than whatever mess we had going on last year at any pace.

• Jun 30, 20114:13 am
    by gmehl1977

Off topic here but did anyone read that article by Chad Ford?

Draft order could be done by projected records

“Word from the league is that it’s to be determined. Not sure how they’ll go about it and neither do they. I think everyone on both sides hopes that they’ll be, at the very least, a shortened season. Losing the whole year is a devastating scenario for both sides. But if they do lose it, I think they could have a lottery for the entire league. Give odds based on projected records for 2011-12. And let the ping pong balls fly.”