Pistons extended qualifying offer to Jonas Jerebko, no word on DaJuan Summers

When the Pistons extended a qualifying offer to Rodney Stuckey, they also made one to Jonas Jerebko, according to Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press:

@WTFDetroit They did Jonas the same time as Stuck. No decision on Summers.

Jerebko’s qualifying offer was as automatic as Stuckey’s. If the Pistons retain him for his qualifying offer, $1,059,293, that would be a huge bargain. I suspect he’ll get more money in a multi-year deal, though.

On the other hand, I’d be pretty shocked if DaJuan Summers receives a qualifying offer. Barring a change in the next Collective Bargaining Agreement, his qualifying offer would match Jerebko’s, and I just don’t think he’s worth that much..

Summers hasn’t made an impact in Detroit, and Kyle Singler makes him even more expendable.

Perhaps – and I think this is a longshot – the Pistons still have some interest in keeping Summers. If that’s the case, I think they’d look to pay him only the minimum salary. So (again, if current relevant CBA rules hold), if they don’t offer Summers a QO, they’d have a chance to sign him for $175,000 less, but they’d lose the right to match offers he receives from other teams. Sounds like good risk/reward to me.

• Jun 28, 201110:08 pm
    by getsomepistons

Highly doubt Summers gets asked back.  If we were laying down wagers, Wilcox is the Pistons free agent that is most likely to return.

• Jun 28, 201110:25 pm
      by Dan Feldman

I’ll take Jonas Jerebko. You set the amount.

• Jun 28, 201111:11 pm
        by getsomepistons

I meant besides the QOs, i.e. Wilcox sooner to be brought back than Tay or McGrady).  Jerebko doesn’t have much leverage coming off a season-long injury.  I’m not keen on Joe overpaying more players.

• Jun 28, 201111:39 pm
    by Laser

singler is the difference here, i think. i don’t think it’s summers’s fault he hasn’t made an impact here. he’s never been given a fair shot, buried behind all our small forwards. i’m relatively certain on his own he’s worth the qualifying offer, but singler helps fill the hole at SF, so maybe you don’t want to throw a million bucks at bench depth. it’s more-or-less a coin-flip for me at this point, and i’m about as big a summers booster as you can find, so that doesn’t bode well for him.

• Jun 29, 20111:28 am
    by gmehl1977

Surely management will look to move at least 2 of the following: Villanueva, Hamliton, Gordon and Maxiell. Whether they are successful in doing so it remains to be seen. You would think they will sign and trade Prince and i am not expecting to see McGrady or Summers return.

I’d say our roster moving forward will more or less consist of:
    Guards-Knight, Stuckey, Bynum, White
    Forwards-Jerebko, Daye, Singler, Wilcox, Player from Hamilton, Gordon or Maxiell trade
    Centers-Monroe, Wallace, Macklin, FA from Prince sign and trade

I also wouldn’t mind seeing them give that undrafted big man Greg Smith (dude with the big hands) a shot to make the roster. Surely he could push for a roster spot and i am sure he would be looking for a team with not too many big guys in front of him.

• Jun 29, 20119:25 am
      by RandomGuy313

I just don’t see a TP sign and trade. He seems destined to get a full MLE from a team, nothing higher than that.

• Jun 29, 20117:42 am
    by detroitpcb

doesn’t Cleveland have a $14 million exemption that they must use by July 1st or lose? They could take on Rip or Gordon & Max in exchange for Hickson. I mean, look at their roster. Who is Irving going to pass to? They need scorers at both the two and three positions.

• Jun 29, 20117:56 am
      by neutes

Irving is going to pass to Manny Harris, who makes $788k next year, as opposed to Rip and Gordon, who the more you think about it are so ridiculously overpaid it’s scary.

• Jun 29, 20111:24 pm
        by Laser

you don’t have to think about it that much to realize how scary rip and gordon’s contracts are.

• Jun 29, 20119:17 am
      by RandomGuy313

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Irving paired with Baron Davis and Ramon Sessions.

I think Hickson has too much upside for them to part with. Besides, who knows what that trade exception will mean with a new CBA and the deal in place for that exemption involved them taking a pick and us getting nothing in return.

• Jun 29, 20119:29 am
        by neutes

I believe that trade exception expires soon, like when the lockout starts. I believe it would have expired on July 10th or something, but since the lockout starts earlier they are just out of luck. I read they petitioned to have those 9 days added back to make a deal once the new CBA is in place but I don’t know if it was accepted.

• Jun 29, 20117:52 am
    by neutes

Summers blows, and we only have one roster spot left unless we waive White or don’t offer Macklin a contract, and I’m not wasting it on Summers.

• Jun 29, 20119:21 am
      by RandomGuy313

I think Summers is decent from the arc, but provides little else. He needs to get his passport ready.