Ryan Feldman: Pistons “very high” on Bismack Biyombo, Jazz want point guard

Ryan Feldman of The Hoops Report (hat tip: I am a GM):

I’m hearing that the Pistons are very high on Bismack Biyombo

If the Pistons want Biyombo, Feldman has more good news:

the Jazz are definitely targeting a PG.

I’m hearing the Jazz could go either way w/ Kemba or Knight but sounds like they prefer Kemba at this point.

If the Jazz take a point guard – especially Kemba Walker, because I think other teams before Detroit’s pick are more likely to take Brandon Knight than him – that would make the Pistons’ preferred big man more likely to fall to No. 8.

• May 25, 201112:50 pm

Great news. Now if only we can get a guarantee that a team ahead of the Pistons will take Vesely.

• May 25, 20111:24 pm
    by Laser

it does look like good news, and it makes sense. the jazz already have jeffferson, millsap and favors up front. they need perimeter help and probably don’t see devin harris as a long-term solution at the point. this would be awesome, even if #3 is a little high to take walker.

thing is, i’d love to have walker or knight at #8 if they slipped. we’ve needed a damn point guard for three years! it might not be the best use of the pick, since we’ve got so many guards already, but it’s very much a need. i’d be happy to start walker/knight and rip and have stuckey and bynum come off the bench. that could be a pretty exciting backcourt. then we could trade gordon (whom the organization insists is tradable) and get an upside big man with the #33 pick.

on the other hand, if knight and walker are both taken before we pick, we’re sure to have some nice big man options. we probably end up with biyombo or tristan thompson either way. to me the only problem i can foresee is if the pistons decide kawhi leonard is the best available player at #8. i mean, you gotta go with the best non-SG available, but drafting him wouldn’t address either of the roster’s GAPING HOLES. hard to see us losing here, but drafting leonard would give me mixed feelings.

what i’d really love to do is try to add another first round pick that would allow us to draft kenneth faried, as well. i really like the guy, and i get the feeling whatever middle first rounder it would take to get him wouldn’t carry a prohibitive price tag.

• May 25, 20115:21 pm

I’d be delighted with Knight. Not so high on Walker. He just seems like a Ben Gordon. Granted, I would expect him to be more like Chicago Gordon than Detroit Gordon. But that still isn’t really what the Pistons need.

• May 25, 20111:30 pm
    by neutes

We would need three of Walker, Knight, Leonard, or Vesley to go before we pick in order for one of Kanter, Biyombo, or Valanciunas to drop to us. Not so sure.

• May 25, 20115:23 pm

But put this way, we only need one of Walker and Vesely to go before the Pistons for one of Kanter, Biyombo, Valnciunas, Knight, or Leonard to fall. I think a high percentage of Pistons fans would be happy with any of those 5. Hence why the news that Utah may well take Walker is so delightful.

• May 25, 20111:35 pm
    by L Boogie

YEAH BOYYY, bring on BIYOMBO. I am tired of seeing these mocks drafts saying we are looking at Thompson, Valicionus (yeah its spelled wrong) or Leonard and Vesley, who is kinnier than Tay, you can see his rib cage, one hit from superman and its a wrap, bring on BIYOMBO or Kemba, or Knight; Leonard or thompson as last resort. Lets GO JOE make it happen. Then resign Prince for a small amount, bring back Wilcox, and hire BILL LAIMBEER, we need some toughness from these prima donnas.

• May 25, 20111:39 pm
    by Quick Darshan

Biyombo, Kanter and Jonas V. all have to potential to drop for various reasons.  It would be great to get one of them.

For the first pick in the second round, there could be some decent big men (Jeremy Tyler, Keith Benson and JaJuan Johnson) or a combo guard could slip (Charles Jenkins, Nolan Smith).

For the second pick in the second round, I could see Demetri McCamey falling.  DeAndre Liggins would be a good pick as well.

I think my ibest case scenario would be Jonas V., Jeremy Tyler and McCamey/Liggins

• May 25, 20113:02 pm
    by DETROIT!!!

anyone think we can use the fact that utah wants a point guard to get their pick?!?  Id love to do a sign and trade with stuckey and possibly add terrico white to the deal for their pick to draft knight or walker….bynum plays point better than stuckey and white anyway

• May 25, 20113:52 pm
      by brgulker

I can’t envision any trade scenario that allows us to do what you described under the current CBA.

• May 25, 20114:19 pm
        by Dan Feldman

Well…

Let’s say the Jazz sign the No. 3 to 120 percent of the rookie scale. Then, 30 days later, they can trade him. With the pending lockout, free agency might not have begun at that point.

The Pistons could give Stuckey a five-year, $38 million+ contract and sign-and-trade him for the No. 3 pick and Jeremy Evans. If the Jazz wouldn’t include Evans, Stuckey’s contract could be for just 32 million+.

Likely? Of course not. But I wouldn’t consider that scenario grossly unreasonable.

• May 25, 20113:30 pm
    by Regan

I don’t think this changes anything. It was always apparent that the Kings and the Jazz both want Point guards.
    Even Toronto could take one.
    My concern is whether or not Sacramento gets their PG. If they don’t get a point, they’re either going to go after a SF or Biyombo.
    Sacramento has always been Biyomobo’s “ceiling” in my mind.

• May 25, 20113:30 pm
    by Regan

Even Toronto could take one.
    Sacramento has always been Biyombo’s “ceiling” in my mind.

• May 25, 20114:54 pm
    by Nananana

Honestly I love Big Ben and all but we really need someone who can play defense AND SCORE. Selecting Biyombo may not be the best idea unless his offense improves. Just my 2 cents

• May 25, 20115:16 pm
      by neutes

we have the 8th pick in a draft that doesn’t include the player you want, and if it did we’d probably need the 1st pick to get him. i’m pretty sure we can’t be too picky.

• May 25, 20115:57 pm
        by Nananana

We can get Kawhi Leonard. In my opinion, he is a better choice. Hopefully he is free

• May 26, 201112:53 am
      by Jason

Monroe is our low post scorer.. We need a big man, who can grab rebounds, and block shots.. Biyombo is the best option, and i can only hope we can land him.. We have PLENTY enough natural scorers on this team, that was definitely not the problem this season. We lacked toughness, rebounding, and most importantly defense. Again, Biyombo is the best ticket in this years draft.

Any other big available at that point is far too similar to Monroe, with maybe the exception of Valanciunas.. He may work along side Monroe, mainly because of his ability to handle the ball, and the fact that he cuts to the basket well. Problem is that unless he bulks up soon, we’d be still fairly weak down low for a couple years.. Biyombo is my first choice, Valaciunas a close second.

• May 25, 20115:34 pm
    by vic

yeah this is good
    I think Biyombo or Jonas V will be available
    If not, take Kahwi Leonard.

I’m not too excited about any of the Pgs other than Irving.
    The only potential pass first pgs in this draft are Darius Morris and Isaiah Thomas…
    I’d take either of them in round 2, but for round 1 we need a big.
    We need to get big this year, then I’d wait till next year and try to get Kendall Marshall… The best passing pg in the NCaA

• May 26, 201112:06 pm
      by Tony

Yeah, but he can’t deal with agressive man to man D because he’s not that athletic, McCallum would be a better pick and he’s a local.

• May 25, 20115:55 pm
    by Nananana

I would rather take Kahwi Leonard. Lol

• May 26, 201112:03 pm
    by Tony

Pistons really don’t know what they have on the roster because nobody wants to play for ANY of the horrible coaching hires Dumars keeps bringing in, players reflect their coach so if you hire a joke for a head coach, then expect your team to be a joke.  Draft picks don’t help as much as bad coaching hurts.

• May 26, 20114:11 pm

Bulls**t! Good coaches help. But how good the players are matters so much more. Doc Rivers was seen as a terrible coach before going to Boston. People say Saunders was bad, but the Pistons kicked ass with him at the helm. Thibs would be seen as mediocre if not for Rose’s breakout year. Spoelstra and Mike Brown are often considered not great coaches but have gotten fantastic records care of Lebron. Larry Drew is almost unheard of and yet the Hawks were overachieving at least for this year’s playoffs.
      I hope Dumars hires a good coach. But if he doesn’t, give an appropriate amount of credit to the coach for how the Pistons perform. And an appropriate amount is definitely a lot less for a coach than for players.