Pistons in the mix to trade for Minnesota’s No. 2 pick, draft Derrick Williams

Chad Ford of ESPN on Derrick Williams:

The question is, who will draft him at No. 2? As I reported Tuesday, the Wolves are very open to trading the pick if they can get some veteran help. They won’t be giving the pick away, but given the youth on the team and the log jam at both forward positions, this pick is a great asset to trade for veteran help. Look for the Cavs, Jazz, Wizards, Kings, Pistons, Bobcats, Bucks, Rockets, Pacers, Sixers to all get in the mix for him in the coming weeks.

Don’t get your hopes up. That’s 10 teams interested, and Joe Dumars indicated trading picks isn’t likely, according to Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News. Williams would certainly help the Pistons, and it’s great they’re exploring a trade. But there’s a huge difference between exploring a deal and reaching one.

Pistons like Tristan Thompson

Ford also said the Pistons are interested in Tristan Thompson, which should come as no surprise:

Texas forward Tristan Thompson quieted some critics with his measurements on Friday. He, much like Williams, was seen as an undersized power forward. His measurements (nearly 6-9 in shoes, 7-1 wingspan and 9-foot standing reach) were nearly identical to that of Derrick Williams. He also nailed the interview process, according to several NBA team sources. His window starts with the Raptors at No. 5. The Pistons, Bobcats, Bucks, Jazz and Pacers are also all seriously interested. He looks like he’s a lock for the lottery.

Jordan Hamilton could push better prospect to No. 8

One more note from Ford’s blog post:

I expect we’ll be seeing Texas’ Jordan Hamilton rising on boards in the next few weeks. NBA scouts have always loved his talent. They believe he’s one of the few guys in this draft who could average 20 ppg in the NBA. He measured well for a small forward (6-8 with an 8-8 standing reach) and I’m told he was very good in interviews. If teams feel confident that he’ll mature and quit taking crazy shots, he’s a very interesting prospect who could go as high as the Kings at No. 7.

Currently, no major mock drafts have Hamilton going before the Pistons pick at No. 8. I don’t think Hamilton deserves to go in the upper half of the lottery, and he certainly doesn’t fill a glaring need for Detroit. So, if the Kings want to take him at No. 7, I’m all for it. That would just leave someone more desirable for the Pistons.

• May 23, 20116:03 pm
    by dan

what would it take to get derrick williams?  I was thinking that it would be better to do a three team trade with Cleveland and Minnesota so that Minnesota only has to move down one spot.  You could do Ben Gordon and Jason Maxiell and the 8th to Cleveland for Baron Davis and the fourth, and then trade the fourth and Rip and Daye to Minnesota for the 2nd and Martell Webster and Anthony Tolliver?  Then maybe have a starting lineup of Baron Davis, Stuckey, Derrick Williams (he insists he is a 3) Jerebko and Monore?  someone please tell me how viable this is….

• May 23, 20116:26 pm
    by detroit fan

i kind of think that this is a bad deal for the pistons.  I think that would be a much worse lineup than what they had this year.  the pistons need to keep stuckey and monroe in the starting lineup.  derrick williams would be nice at 2.  lets say they traded the 8th pick, hamilton/gordon, maxiell, and daye for the number 2 pick to draft williams.  hopefully the pistons could either pick up a starting pt guard in the 2nd round.  it would be nice to see Stuckey, either Gordon or Hamilton, Williams, Jerebko, Monroe……….it would be nice to see the pistons go after a guy like Oden in free agency because their strength and conditioning program rocks….just look what they have done with mcgrady and mcdyess.  that would be better lineup with stucky, gordon, williams, monroe, oden

• May 23, 20116:34 pm
    by neutes

Williams isn’t worth trading up for to grab. Unless we can get him without giving up Monroe, Jerebko, or next years pick. Those 3 are off limits. That’s about it though. And if we traded up to the #2 I’d rather take Kanter anyway.

• May 23, 20116:42 pm
      by rob

Jerebko off limits for Williams? Thats crazy talk.

Williams has a superstar potential and Jerebko is at best a role player.

I’d give up Daye, Jerebko, Gordon, and #8 for #2. If we draft Williams we dont need 2 backup SF’s in Daye and Jerebko anyways, and moving Gordon needs no explanation.

Everything on this roster is expendable, except Monroe, and I would even give up next years pick. Because holding onto next years pick when you have a chance to improve now, says you would rather suck again for another year, and wait until next year to get better, when you could just get better now, and not even need to be in the lottery next year.

There’s LeBron in next years draft anyways, and we probably would be drafted 7-8 again too. Time to get better is now. I dont want to be the Lions who’s championship is the draft every year. I’m not looking to prlong this rebild for 5-10 yrs. I want to w

• May 23, 20116:43 pm
        by rob

I meant to finish saying I want to win now, but pressed send by accident.

• May 23, 20116:54 pm
        by neutes

Williams is fools gold. He’s Melo covered with Ellis in a crunchy Amare shell. That’s my opinion of him anyway. If he’s a true superstar someday I’ll eat my words. More than likely he’ll end up holding a team hostage in the long-run.

• May 23, 20117:23 pm

Dude, this team could really use a “Melo covered with Ellis in a crunchy Amare shell.” Such a player wouldn’t singlehandedly turn around the franchise but would be a key guy for a long time and if he wasn’t the best player on the team, the team would probably be at least a dark horse contender. That said, I don’t think Williams is anywhere near that good. But I’d be happy to give up Daye, Jerebko, and the 8th pick for him.

• May 23, 20116:34 pm
    by rob

I’m not getting my hopes up yet, but in week the handcuffs will be officially off Joe, and if any GM is more eager to make a big move its got to be Joe, who has been waiting 2 yrs. So I think he is going to maybe push for it the hardest.

idk if we have the assets, but Joe is known for getting creative, and could always get a 3rd team invloved.

Who knows on this deal, but I cant wait until next week when Gores officially become owner and Joe is unleashed from his shackles.

• May 23, 201110:25 pm
    by Laser

I hope joe proves me wrong, but something tells me there’s going to be a lot less wheeling and dealing than anyone expects. i’m guessing he’ll move mountains to trade rip, and that’s about it. and my “move mountains” i mean he’ll make a bad trade just to be rid of rip. then we’ll likely get something modest for tayshaun in a sign-and-trade, make a mediocre free agent signing and be terrible again. hope i’m wrong.

• May 23, 201110:44 pm
      by gmehl1977

Time will tell but i either way we will find out how much Joe’s hands have been tied. I really don’t think Joe can afford not to come up with at least one good move this off season. The man is practically fighting for his J-O-B.

• May 23, 201111:11 pm
    by jake

derrick williams has beasley written all over. he’s going to be all hype. unless we’re getting irving (obviously we aren’t), then we should be looking to get valanciunas, biyombo, or kanter, and lately i’ve been leaning towards the toughness and size that kanter would bring to this team the most.

• May 24, 20115:01 am
    by steve

i doubt they are going to want gordon or anyone else we are thinking about trading.  id like to keep daye and jerebko and see how they do next year.  with prince gone, id like to see how daye does with more minutes.  who cares about derrick williams, when we will be able to get a player as good as him next year with the 8th pick.  why mortage the farm for a high pick in this weak draft unless we can get irving.  next year will have all those sick should-have-been one and dones that stayed, in addition to the new crop of one and dones next year.

• May 24, 20117:45 am
    by detroitpcb

I still feel like Austin Daye is a poor man’s Kevin Durrant and i think parting with either Daye or Monroe would be organizational madness.

I do not think Williams will be a superstar. He looks to me like a shot happy prima donna. If he fell to the Pistons at #8 i would draft him but that is not going to happen. I would never move up to pick him.

But i would like to get Cleveland’s #4 pick to make sure we get one of the top two big men and would be willing to give up Ben Gordon and our top second round pick. Then we could get a big man and draft Burks at #8.

• May 24, 20118:16 am
      by Nelson

Whilst I doubt that Williams will be a superstar he does have that potential and to pass on an opportunity to trade for him would be pretty stupid in my opinion. That said I doubt that we even have the pieces to trade for him anyway.
      Also, I don’t think that trade for #4 is anywhere near what gets it done. Cleveland reportedly offered it and their salary exception to the Grizzlies for Rudy Gay which was refused. Gay > Gordon. Sorry to sound so negative as I too would like Jonas or Kanter but just don’t see it happening at #4.

• May 24, 201112:07 pm
      by Laser

PCB: buddy, there comes a time when we all must pull the plug on the unrealistic expectations we have of our heroes. a good indicator of that time is probably when you start attaching the word “still” to your expectations of him. after two full seasons, we should have a clearer idea of what daye is capable of than we do. because right now he looks a hell of a lot like a guy who comes off the bench for 20 minutes a game for his three-point shooting behind a more well-rounded small forward.

now, it’s one thing to say you want them to keep daye. god knows what you still see in him at this point, and if we’re dreaming of a poor man’s kevin durant, the poorness increases by the day. at this rate, by the time his rookie contract is up, the “poor man” will be so poor he will have starved to death. but you must understand that your affinity for him is unreasonable. it would not be “madness” to trade him. far from it. he’s at the very top of the list of players i’d happily trade to improve the team. we don’t have many players who are true assets on the roster. he’s one of them, and i consider him highly expendable. we won’t get anywhere by refusing to trade anyone we actually like.

there isn’t an untouchable on the roster, greg monroe included. not one untouchable player, if the deal is right. i’d trade daye for a, say, top ten pick that yielded a big man or point guard. i’d trade stuckey for a decent return, but i’d be less willing to roll the dice because i think stuckey has more value. but madness would be attaching an “untouchable” label to someone like austin daye.

• May 24, 20118:22 am
    by sop

What a HUGE assumption this article is making in thinking that picking up the #2 pick means drafting Derrick Williams! Kanter would be the only reason to move up.

• May 24, 201111:54 am
      by Dan Feldman

If you read the excerpt, the “him” in the first sentence is Derrick Williams.

• May 24, 20118:24 am
    by vic

Wiilliams is the real deal…
    Humble, team player, hard worker, who just happens to be an unstoppable scorer, in the post, off the ball, and from 3 point land.
    If we got the chance to get him he’s the BPA. He’s Amare lite plus a 56% from 3 point land.

• May 24, 20119:38 am
      by sop

You do realize that he shot a total of 4 3-pointers before this past season right? That means you can’t trust that percentage. Any scout worth his salt knows that.

• May 24, 20111:48 pm
    by Pratik Narula

I believe that the Pistons should definitely try and trade up to the No. 4 pick, because first of all Cleveland is going to make themselves available for trading their No. 4 pick, as they already have the No. 1 pick in the draft, and would be better off by acquiring young but developed talent to play with Kyrie Irving, at the 2 or the 3 spots. Dan Gilbert also has great relationships with the city of Detroit, as Quicken Loans’ home base is in Detroit. Lastly, the Pistons definitely have assets to make this work. If Cleveland, was interested in helping the Pistons get rid of Rips contract, then they can go for players like Ben Gordon, Austin Daye, Summers, and maybe even Rip again.
    If I were the Pistons, the only players I would want to keep to rebuild around are: Rodney Stuckey, Jonas Jerebko, Greg Monroe, Will Bynum, and my wild card would be Jason Maxiell and Charlie V. I believe that these players are the only players who are difference makers in our roster, hard workers, young enough, hungry, and should be the primary assets for the team. I love what Austin Daye can do, but if we can get the No. 4 pick and still keep the No. 8 pick in the draft, and then use Tayshaun Prince in a sign-in trade we can do some damage this off-season.
    Perhaps draft Kanter at 4, and either get Bismack Biyombo/Tristan Thompson or someone to play the 3 position. But Rip Hamilton, Ben Gordon, and Tayshaun Prince, better not be playing in a pistons uniform next season. I would still like to keep BG and Will Bynum combo off the bench, but there not like Jason Terry and JJ Barera, or maybe its just the difference between Rick Carlisle and John Kuester. As Kuester does not even define the roles that each player has for there team, because they have no goal to achieve as a team. Next season, we need to be young, hungry, and do some serious damage in the playoffs to teams like Chicago, Orlando, Atlanta, Miami, Boston.

• May 24, 20113:58 pm
    by bYRON

i HAVE A QUESTION FOR YALL. DO YOU SEE THE PISTONS HAVING ENOUGH VERTRIAN TALENT TO TRADE WITH MINNOSOTA FOR THE 2ND PICK.AND IF SO WOULD WE DRAFT ERNES KANTER?WHAT YALL THINK OF HIM.. APART FROM THIS SUBJECT.THE Nba IS MORE FUN WHEN WINS IS EARN AND CHAMPIONSHIP IS WON BY THE OHTER TEAM.THE WAY THE LAKERS TANKED THE SERIS AGAINST THE THUNDER DIDNT LOOK OR FEEL RIGHT.AND AFTER ALL THE DRAME THE THE CAVS HAD NVOLIVNG LERON JAMES. WIT THE KID CAVS OWNER SON REPSENTING THEM-THEYSUDDENLY GOT THE NUMBER 1 AND 4TH PICK?IS THIS ODD TO YALL.I TRIED TO REACH KEITH LAGOIS ABOUT THIS SUBJECT AS WELL AS CHARLES BARKLEY

• May 25, 20111:25 am
      by Reaction

First off please don’t type in caps.. it hurts people’s eyes. 2nd off the Lakers lost to Dallas not the Thunder. 3rd off I don’t like Kanter’s attitude (rejecting interviews etc from teams, his actions) 4th your misspelling a lot of words lol

• May 25, 20112:08 am
      by gmehl1977

Byron you forgot to put the ‘b’ in your name in CAPs my man…please don’t let this happen again or you will be shot!

• May 25, 20112:10 am
      by gmehl1977

Also who the hell is LeRon James? Is he LeBron and Ron Artest’s love child or something :-)

• May 25, 201111:51 am
        by Laser

i think he meant to say “deron williams” but his finger slipped and he typed a L instead of a D and a JAMES instead of a WILLIAMS.

• May 26, 20118:38 am
    by Tyrone

My HOPE is that the Pistons will be able to draft Williams, Kantor, or Knight.  If a trade is made to accomplish this then Max, Rip, Daye, Gorden, and Stuckey are all in play.  If we get lucky and one of the three players fall to number 8 then that is even better.

• May 26, 20119:50 am
    by Eric

Joe D should just announce to the league that Stuckey, Bynum, Gordon, Hamilton, Daye, Maxiel, and Charlie V are all up for trade, either for the number two pick, a point guard, powerforward, or center.

• May 26, 201110:02 am
      by brgulker

I think everyone already knows this. Furthermore, doing so would only serve to undermine trade value, IMHO.

I’m not convinced, however, that Dumars believes he needs to blow the team up to that extent. I think he’s still holding onto the idea that we’re just 1-2 players away from real contention out East.