Pistons, Cavaliers and Timberwolves discussing three-team trade than would shed Richard Hamilton, No. 8 pick

Chris Broussard of ESPN:

Cavs, Pistons, Twolves discussing 3-team trade that would give Cavs 1st & 2nd picks, sources say.

Cavs absorb Rip Hamilton into 14.6 mill trade exception & get Det’s 8th pick. Cavs send 4th & 8th picks to Minny for 2nd pick

Cavs would then draft Kyrie No. 1 and Derrick Williams No. 2. Nothing imminent but trade us being discussed by the teams.

The Pistons desire to explore this trade should come as no surprise. They nearly sent Richard Hamilton and a lottery-protected 2012 first-round pick to the Cavaliers at the trade deadline.

With so many underclassmen staying in school, a non-lottery pick next year might be more valuable than this year’s No. 8 pick. And because the 2012 draft will be stacked, other players might stay in school until 2013, and so on. The ramifications of this draft might be felt for years. So, if Detroit wants to trade a pick to dump Hamilton, this could be the optimal time.

Also, remember when Joe Dumars said this after the lottery?

We’ve done our homework and we know we can get a good player.

I didn’t believe it then, and I certainly don’t now. I’m not saying the Pistons can’t get a good player at No. 8, but there won’t be any sure things at that spot.

• May 28, 20112:34 pm
    by Travis

Where would that put us cap wise with the current CBA? If its far enough under we could always make a bid for M.Gasol or another young center

• May 28, 20112:51 pm
      by Quick Darshan

Think the Pistons would have about $36mil committed (not including Stuckey, Jerebko or, if they want to keep him, Tayshaun).

I think the cap was $58mil last year.  So, if they sign Stuckey and Jerebko they wouldn’t have enough to sign someone major, but they could have some flexibility with regards to trades.

• May 28, 20113:36 pm
        by Quick Darshan

Oh, the Pistons might also get a “Trade Exemption” with which to sign a free agent.  The exemption would be worth Rip’s contract.

I could be wrong about this though.  Especially with a new CBA coming.

• May 28, 20112:43 pm
    by Quick Darshan

I still think the Pistons can get some solid role players in the Second Round.  Jeremy Tyler is probably the best boom/bust pick and there’s the slim possibility Lucas Nogueira could slip.

But, there should be a number of solid bench players like Nolan Smith and DeAndre Liggins available.

• May 28, 20112:51 pm
    by robotboy15

Hate this idea.  The Pistons just give away a #8 pick?  Not willing to take a chance that Biyombo or Valanciunas or Kantner might be good?
    Look, two years ago, Rip’s contract was terrible.  But now that we’re over the hump, don’t sell the future just to give more minutes to Ben Gordon.
    I hated this suggestion last season. It’s worse now.  And it would mean conceding another year of being awful with the vague hope that we’ll be just awful enough to get the 6-10 pick in a year with slightly better players?
    Loser move.

• May 28, 20113:12 pm
    by Reaction

what a foolish deal.. if Dumars actually does something this stupid it justifies all the hate he has been getting from some of the Piston’s fans

• May 28, 20113:25 pm
    by rob

I think it would be a very smart move, depending on who they get with the cap space they create.

This draft sucks, and I cant see them getting any better than a career role player at 8.

I have to imagine they can get better than a role player with all the cap space they would create, either in FA or through a trade.

I think this is a good deal. It gives them a lot more options to get a better player. Otherwise, we would be coming back with the same team as last year, plus a couple of average rookies.

I’d rather trade the pick, use the cap space to add a great player, as well as free up the logjam at SG. That sounds like the better scenario to me.

• May 28, 20113:34 pm
      by Reaction

wow another bandwagon jumper.. this draft doesn’t suck as bad as everyone is making it out to be seriously.. the talent is the same around the middle as any draft so many people have said that as well

• May 28, 20114:14 pm
        by rob

Bandwagon jumper? Funny coming from a poster named “reaction”. Overreact much?

I disagree on the draft. After Kanter, Irving, and Williams this draft sucks.

The guys that will be there for us at 8 would be mid-late 1st round picks in any other draft.

I’m cool on adding another role player to this roster full of them. Adding young pieces is only beneficial if they are really good. Aside from Monroe, all our young pieces are above average at best.

We need to start adding some veterans who are better than that. If all we do is just add 1-2 average rookies every year, we will never get back to winning. You cant build through the draft picking 7, 8, and 15 every year. You just accumulate a young team full of average players, which is what we have.

Joe built a championship team with veterans in 4 yrs through FA/Trades. I feel more confident in our chances to do it again that way, than through the draft pick 7-8 every year. That gets you nowhere.

• May 28, 20113:36 pm
    by Travis

If Dumars can actually do well in the free agency and the next CBA doesn’t kill all our newly acquired cap space its a good deal.

• May 28, 20114:08 pm

It would make more sense for the Pistons to do this deal if they were getting rid of Gordon instead of Hamilton. But either way it only makes sense if it means the Pistons will have cap space. So no reason to do it before the new CBA.

• May 28, 20116:47 pm
      by rick

Now that I can agree with. Why deal players to teams in your conference? Especially if you want to get better. I would get rid of Gordon before Hamilton and would not do it with a team in the central. When Detroit won back in the day(Daye) get it they traded Dantley to either Utah or Dallas not Cleveland so they could trade him to Chicago or Boston.I would make Cleveland give me Hickson if I gave them my pick then we can talk. No way I give them my veteran to make Chicago better. We see what happened the last time we did that.People need to get off Rip’s back he would have most definitely not signed that extension had he known what we all know today. Hell Im more mad at McDyess and Sheed for ring chasing instead of showing the young talent how to play(insert Ben Wallace). We will see what Dumars has up his sleeves when Gores takes control.

• May 28, 20117:05 pm
        by Reaction

I’d rather keep my pick over Hickson

• May 28, 201110:19 pm
        by gmehl1977

Ben Wallace did chase a ring btw. The only difference is he got a sh!t load of money and then eventually decided to come back!

• May 28, 201111:11 pm
          by rick

I have to disagree about him chasing ring. I think it was more he felt slighted by the offer that was made to him and he decided to walk. Chicago only took Wallace to make us softer imo. What did they really need him for? Wallace is so strong willed and minded that he could not see past that at the time and he could not stand Flip Saunders. That to me would be a better assessment. You could also say he felt like if the other Wallace could get sixty million then why couldnt he. Now I am not saying he should have been paid like that, but try and sit in his shoes for a minute and think what he was thinking at the time. Just about everyone on team was getting paid, and when it was time to pay him he felt like he was the face of the team and he should get paid that way. Right or wrong I feel like he left for those more so than chasing a ring because if he did want to win a ring he could have went straight to San Antonio and complimented Tim Duncan real well.

• May 28, 20116:36 pm
    by Marvin Jones

Boy you can really contradict yourself Feldman, Joe said he could get a good player at 8, you said you didn’t believe him and in the next sentence you say he could get a good player at 8 but no sure thing, well Joe didn’t say a word about a sure thing YOU DID. I have often wondered why most of your articles are very negative and someitmes even mean spirited toward Joe, now I see you just don’t like the man for whatever reason. You even resort to inventing things for him to say so you can dump on him, shame on you. Maybe with your obvious bias against Joe, this isn’t the right job for you, just saying.

• May 29, 20114:15 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Marvin, how did I contradict myself? Dumars said (emphasis mine), “We know we can get a good player.” I said I don’t agree that’s something we know. Doesn’t mean it’s impossible to get a good player. But it’s not a lock, like it would be with the first or second pick.

• May 28, 20119:04 pm
    by vic

this would be the stupidest move ever.
    basketball is a game of players, talent wins.
    This draft has talent. Just because people keep saying it doesn’t, doesn’t mean that’s true.
    So we give 2 Eastern Conference teams 2 picks of Top 10 talent, so they can win at basketball and we can win at accounting???
    I might quit on Pistons if that happens

• May 28, 201110:35 pm
    by gmehl1977

I am torn on which way Joe should go here. Personally i think trading the pick could work if the money saved by dumping Rip was used wisely. Everyone has made some good points here but one that really stands out to me the most is the one about dumping Gordon instead of Rip. This would be a far wiser way to get better with Rip coming off the books shortly after. There are a lot of Gordon and Rip haters out there but to tell you the truth i wouldn’t mind getting rid of both if we can. Let Stuckey play SG and start Bynum at PG. With these 2 running the backcourt we will surely get a top 3 pick in next years draft. Then we can pounce on a future star PG or SG and some good free agents. We haven’t hit rock bottom yet but i feel we will have to before we can get better.

• May 28, 201110:46 pm
      by rob

I agree on Gordon over Rip. The thing is CLE is only agreeing to this because they plan to buy out Rip with $21.5 mil left on his deal. I dont know that they would do the same for Gordon with $36 mil left. Yeah, they could keep Gordon, but maybe they dont like his fit on their team.

Or, maybe Joe see’s it as no one else will take Rips deal, but other teams will take Gordon’s. So move Rip now, and trade Gordon later.

Plus, if theres an amnesty deal, we could end up getting out of Gordons contract anyways, and clear both.

• May 28, 201110:46 pm
      by Reaction

I couldn’t agree more with you gmehl1977 but at the same time it would be a shame to see the 8th pick gone=/

• May 29, 20119:17 am
    by Marvin Jones

I,m willing to bet that Chicago wished they had Gordon back now,he would have made a difference in the Miami series maybe even helping them win it. I would certainly talk to them to gauge their interest.

• May 22, 201211:06 pm
    by phisteduadatt

Nature Care Landscape took care of my all my landscaping needs. They provide one of a kind landscape design and water features as well as landscaping maintenance. I recommend that you check them out at http://www.naturecarelandscape.com/. Nature Care Landscape is your premier Sacramento Landscaper

• Jul 6, 20126:35 pm
    by Lizbeth Pavish

It’s not that I want to copy your web site, but I really like the design. Could you let me know which theme are you using? Or was it tailor made?