Should Tom Gores retain Joe Dumars as the Pistons’ general manager?

• Apr 24, 20113:52 pm
    by Dell

My wife is from Ohio. So I was suprised she knew who he was (since she hates sports). She sold a couple dogs to Joe D a few years back.When signing the contract for purchase she handed him a highlighter/pen, you know- one end is a highlighter one end is a pen. He couldn’t figure out how to use the pen. I used to like Joe and say, “yeah right,” when she told the story. However, lately, I can’t say that I actually believe Joe knows which way is up…nor since signing Villanueva or Gordon, that he knows what a pen is for.

• Apr 24, 20116:58 pm
    by Jason

Can’t imagine Gores making that big a move right off the bat.. Probably not a smart idea.
    Give Joe a chance, see if he can make some moves this off-season with a new owner in place..

Side note, what’s the chance NY picks up Chauncey Billup’s $14 Million contract next season?

With that said, what’s the chance the Pistons resign Chauncey at a lower contract,  after NY cuts him loose?? Can’t imagine Denver being interested with the PG talent they now have in place.. Thoughts?

• Apr 24, 20117:09 pm
      by BIG MARV

Thats funny you said that because me and my brother was thinking the same thing if the pistons would get chauncey back on the cheap with a healthy knee for next year I believe they will be at least 6 or 7th in the east. You can look at them mabey being like the memphis grizzlies or the trail blazers and upsetting somebody in the first rd but I would watch out for a contender too like miami or even dallas if kidd retires. But I dont see denver picking him back up at all or I dont see NY resigning him either so the ball is actually in detroit’s court and they could pick him up. Ill do it but they have to draft a young pg in this years draft so if billups do come back and retire here in a few years the transition will be better than the last time instead of just scrapping him to free up money.

• Apr 24, 20116:59 pm
    by BIG MARV

I think joe needs to come into Tom Gores New Office with a boom box and a Notorious B.I.G. CD playing “one more chance” and mabey he will keep the job

• Apr 24, 20118:00 pm
    by sop

Arenas and 5mil trade exception from Gortat to Pistons for Rip, Maxiell, and Charlie V.  Would you do it?

• Apr 24, 20118:11 pm
      by sop

Opens up 7mil in cap space. Consolidates crappy contracts.

• Apr 25, 20118:56 am
      by brgulker

No. Max and Charlie V can be moved.

• Apr 24, 20118:49 pm
    by Laser

yes, because it’s his mess, and he’s going to be in more of a rush to get things fixed. if we bring someone else in, he’ll have the luxury of sitting back and evaluating and waiting a few years to do anything at all. any GM in the world should be able to have this franchise in reasonable shape by 2014 when all existing contracts are off the books. that’s a clean slate right there waiting for us; it’s just a ways off. since joe messed this thing up, he has something to prove again. also, i’d hate to let that guy off the hook quite this easy. there’ll always be apologists, and he’ll never get nearly as much blame as he deserves, but if he gets the axe now, the only thing people will remember is that ownership tied his hands and sabotaged the team. nobody’s going to remember that he put this shitty team together all on his own with no restrictions whatsoever.

that said, the notion that he can stay “as long as he wants” makes me sick. nobody should have that much job security, least of all someone whose most recent decisions crippled the franchise. joe hasn’t made a good personnel decision in 2005, and he’s been one of the worst GMs on the planet in recent years. i’d let him do whatever he can this summer, but i’d keep him on a short leash after that.

• Apr 24, 20118:53 pm
    by detroitpcb

absolutely.

• Apr 25, 20112:44 am
    by Tony

You guys are crazy, he’s off right now looking for the next Darko!  He was lucky in the trade of Hill for B. Wallace, his draft picks have been grossly overrated, he drafted a combo guard then signed another, passed on a PG in one of the deepest class of first round PG’s ever.  His coaching hires have been HORRENDOUS, the only place he’d be rewarded for a worse performance over the last 5 years would be AIG.

• Apr 25, 20114:28 am
    by Dan

Yeah, cause that’s how that works, you just need to a little luck to win a championship … that’s why so many teams have done it.

• Apr 25, 20114:58 am
    by Kaneda

Retain him so he can try to turn things around, but as Laser said keep him on a short leash. The February trade deadline should also be Joe D’s deadline for trying to rectify the mess he made over the past couple of years.

• Apr 25, 20118:14 am
    by detroitpcb

how about CP3 last night? The best game i have seen from a point guard since Magic Johnson’s 37 points 15 rebounds, 7 assist performance.

• Apr 25, 20119:21 am

He has easily been my favorite player to watch in the playoffs. It’s so beautiful to watch a point guard who loves to share the ball. Paul is so much better than Derrick Rose and has way less talent around him. It’s crazy that there is no MVP buzz around him. Minus Paul, that Hornets team would threaten for worst record in the league.

• Apr 25, 20113:21 pm
        by Tim

But he didn’t really have a great regular season. He was very good, but not as good as Rose most of the year. And he wasn’t on a contender. To get MVP buzz when not on a contender, you basically have to be the best player in the league.

• Apr 25, 20118:58 am
    by brgulker

It’s baffling to me that the same crowd of people who’ve been clamoring for Kuester’s head all season long jump at the chance to defend Dumars.

Kuester deserves to get canned for being a bad coach. Dumars deserves to get canned for being an even worse manager of personnel. Period.

• Apr 25, 20119:25 am

The difference is one has a track record at his job and one doesn’t. Like it or not, Dumars is one of only a few GMs in the league who built a championship team. Doesn’t mean he should never be fired or have his job performance questioned. He’s clearly been pretty bad at it the past few seasons. But you can’t just compare his situation to Kuester’s. Kuester is a first-time head coach who had arguably the worst season a coach has ever had, other than when PJ Carlesimo got choked out by Sprewell. Dumars is a GM who has had far more success than failure in his career, and his job has been complicated by the ownership situation. There’s far more evaluation that should go into considering Dumars’ future than Kuester’s. Period.

• Apr 25, 201112:07 pm
        by brgulker

That’s a fair point, but it does need some qualifications in order to be fair to Kuester, IMHO.

First, Dumars did not build a championship team by himself. Several people who helped do that have left, and the timeline as it relates to those departures and Dumars’ questionable moves raises suspicions about Dumars’ role in building the title contender.

Second, Kuester does have a track record. He orchestrated one of the most successful offenses in the league in Cleveland. Obviously, LBJ had something to do with it as well, but if we’re going to talk about past successes, we should be fair to Q and at least mention his.

• Apr 25, 20111:02 pm

But see, I don’t think the experience as an assistant is relevant. Kuester had no track record as a head coach. Now he has two years of failures. He certainly didn’t inherit a roster that was in good shape, but Kuester clearly did things both on the court and managing people in the locker room that were major failures.

And it’s true, Dumars had others in the organization who helped build that team. But didn’t he hire John Hammond, for example? Beyond just assembling the team, he gets credit for assembling the people on his staff.

I’m not saying Dumars should definitely keep his job. I think he should for at least another season. I’m just saying he has way, way more of a case than Kuester because he has proven to be an effective manager in the role he is currently in.

• Apr 25, 20113:23 pm
            by brgulker

I’d wager my life savings on the fact that Kuester’s experience was considered when he was interviewing for the job. I understand assisting and head coaching are different. And I agree that he failed to manage people (I don’t completely agree that he’s a failure in terms of playcalling, but that’s another story).

I’m not sure we’ll come to agreement on this, so I won’t make a big deal of it (it really isn’t anyway! :) ). But I think out of fairness to Kuester and how he’ll be remembered as an NBA coach — as I think it’s unlikely he’ll ever be a head coach again — we Piston fans owe it to him to put it on the record somewhere, even if it’s just a footnote, that even though he failed as a head coach, his coaching legacy shouldn’t be remembered as a complete failure.

I think that’s underscored by the fact that many, many, many fans use a similar line of reasoning when arguing to retain Dumars.

• Apr 25, 20113:41 pm

Kuester’s legacy, to me, will be Greg Monroe. Let’s face it, this season was a disaster waiting to happen no matter who the coach was. Kuester did some boneheaded things managing some players on the roster and failed as a communicator, but he got far more out of Greg Monroe than anyone expected. Developing Monroe was the single most important thing he did and it will pay off immensely for the team down the road.

• Apr 25, 201111:50 am
    by neutes

Keep him. If he can’t get rid of Gordon/CV by the end of next season fire him. If he’s not even thinking about trying to find a taker for either of those two then fire him now and find someone that knows what they are doing. I just want some evidence he’s thinking towards the future. The presence is the past. Rip will be an asset sooner than later. Gordon and CV won’t be assets for far too long. I have a 2 year time table in my mind of moves that could get made to turn this thing around. However, it involves putting Gordon ahead of Rip on the must get rid of list.

• Apr 25, 20119:17 pm
    by Fennis

@Laser

Did you just support Dumars staying on as GM? Does that mean we should dismiss the 1,000 or so messages you’ve posted over the past year. So confused, and pleasantly surprised to see that you have a rational bone in your body.

• Apr 27, 20118:08 pm
    by Scott

Why should Joe D Get another shot? We won a championship in spite of him. If he knew how to draft, we would have won three or four with D Wade, Carmelo, or even Bosh. It’s a joke! Then, when the players he passed on drafting were coming up as free agents, rather than save some money and try to sign a big-name free agent this season, he used all of our cap room on Villanueva and Gordon last season. I hate to say it because he was my favorite Piston and I went to his last 2 home games in the playoffs in ’99.
    As far as coaching is concerned, Kuester and Eddie jordan (76ers) had the same records in 2009-2010. Jordan got fired and right now I’m watching the Doug Collins (name sound familiar Pistons fans?) coached 76ers in the playoffs against the Miami Heat. Meanwhile, we’re only three games better than last year.