“Mentally drained” Rodney Stuckey will valiantly press forward, try to “get through” Pistons’ final six games

Via Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:

"Mentally, mentally, I’m mentally drained," Stuckey said. "Hopefully I can get through these six games and we’ll see what happens next year."

Give me a break.

• Apr 4, 201110:54 am
    by BIG MARV

Aww poor baby man get him and coach barney fife otta town they need to go play for a team in alaska

• Apr 4, 201111:09 am
    by Quick Darshan

Slightly off-topic, but Charles Jenkins would be a good player for the Draft Dreams series.  He’s got Joe Dumars-pick written all over him.  He plays at a small school.  He’s listed as a PG/SG.  And he’s one of the most productive offensive players in the country.

Stuckey seems to showing himself out the door.  So, the Pistons might still be looking at the PG position in the draft.

• Apr 4, 201111:13 am
    by Glenn

Bench him, let Bynum and Mcgrady have his minutes

• Apr 4, 201111:55 am
    by brgulker

Give me a break is right. I’m with Glenn. McGrady and Bynum are perfectly capable of running the team while Stuckey finishes the season on the bench. Refusing to enter a game? Inexcusable. He ought to be fined and officially suspended, not just benched.

• Apr 4, 20111:21 pm
      by detroitpcb

what a bunch of shit. of course he is mentally drained with all the incompetence, juvinile feuding, and lack of communication from his head coach.

you people need to get a grip and put the blame for this disaster on Q and not the players – that is were it belongs.

• Apr 4, 20112:33 pm

No one is saying the coach, or GM for that matter, aren’t incompetent. Stuckey is being blamed for refusing to enter a game. That’s inexcusable, no matter what the coaching situation is. McGrady, Bynum, Prince, Monroe, Daye, Wilcox, etc. are all out there, being professionals. Maxiell has barely touched the court for most the season, and he still goes in every time he is told to.

There is no doubt change at the top is needed. But I also want players who don’t act like privileged asses, and Stuckey has certainly acted like that this season. Why are you giving him a pass?

I feel like there’s a disconnect here. The NBA, first and foremost, is a JOB. If you don’t like your boss, can you refuse to do something and expect no repercussions? Of course you can’t. Explain to me why it is acceptable for Stuckey to do just that. Because his job happens to be in the NBA? Please.

• Apr 4, 20112:44 pm
        by rick

It is clearly obvious these cats do not get it. Let the man rest, I bet you were some of the same guys who felt really bad about him when he got hurt last year and had that heart episode. Now lets just throw him out the door for marginal players. If T- Mac cannot be T-Mac of old I do not want him running my team, and I like him. Hence why the Bulls did not offer. Get a clue people, yeah you may be mad at some of the shenannighans taking place, but do not sit here and give me that they are paid b.s. when the coach and the general manager are doing the same. I fail to see the logic in that argument because money in his case is not there unless he re-signs or signs elsewhere. You would be pretty pissed to see that dude running Miami next year or even New York, so be careful what you wish for. Part of me wants Stuckey to leave and find his niche and have you guys crying about how we have a washed up two playing the point alongside a diminutive point guard who cant guard anyone. I like both of these players, but give Stuckey a coach who preaches fundamentals and getting his team involved, as well as a big man then we can judge him accordingly. Folks just mad the “P’s” suck so someone has to be the scapegoat.

• Apr 4, 20113:09 pm

Your post is beyond irrational. Don’t draw conclusions that aren’t there.

The bottom line is this: you absolutely can’t have players around who refuse to go into the game. I don’t care that the coach is dumb, I don’t care that the roster is unbalanced, I don’t care that the rotation has never been handled fairly.

Virtually every other player on the team has been frustrated with his role. Only one has refused to go into a game. That’s not acceptable.

As for Kuester, yeah, he’s terrible. And he’s gonna pay for being terrible by losing his job. To act like Stuckey should receive no repercussions for refusing to do his job is buffoonery at its best.

Stuckey is still a player with a very high ceiling who is yet to live up to his potential in Detroit. I hope he figures things out. But incidents like this — and the Detroit News has reported two other similar incidents with him this season — really call into question his maturity.

There are bad teams with poor coaches all over this league, and they still for the most part have players who show up and do their jobs. You acting like Stuckey is somehow above having to follow the same orders that every other player in this league follows is ridiculous.

• Apr 4, 20116:46 pm
            by rick

Show me where he said he refused to go in the game then we can talk about irrational. You kill me with this assertion that this guy can coach and knows how to manage ego’s. If he had their ego’s in check then would he really have this problem. I get that you are a part of this site and want to seem down the middle, but how do we know if it is true. You speak as if you were there during team meeting. What plausible evidence do you have to the contrary.It is a reason they keep doing this to this man and who knows why, but I can tell you one thing the fans do not pay to see the coach.

Tell me when he has had a stable coach and then we can rant and rave all day. He has gone from players coach(Saunders) no coach(curry) then another no one(kuester) as a coach and you expect him to be a finished product. What do you expect if you had a job and went through these many changes and everyone had high expectations of you? The fact that anyone around here even thinks Bynum is a starting point guard in this  league is why they wont allow medical marijuana in Michigan. ok that was unecessary but my point is where have you read anything like this before around the league? Their is chaos from the top all the way to the bottom and I am not gonna heap all the blame on a player that Joe labeled his “Sacred cow”.

• Apr 4, 20117:36 pm

Rick:

It’s impossible to discuss anything with you when you simply make things up. When did I ever say that Kuester could “coach and manage egos?” That’s ridiculous. I never said anything resembling that.

That would be like me replying to you, saying, “OMG … Rick just said Stuckey is better than Derrick Rose. What an idiot!”

Is that fair for me to do that? Of course it isn’t. So I wish, if you’re going to respond and call something I’ve written into question, at least do it accurately.

I’m not heaping blame on Stuckey for anything other than this incident: every media outlet in this state reported that Stuckey refused to go back into the game against Chicago when Kuester asked him to. After the Boston game, Stuckey was asked about it by reporters and didn’t deny doing it. If he did that, bottom line is he deserves to sit.

I don’t expect Stuckey to be a finished product. I don’t expect him to like or agree with Kuester. I expect him to be a professional. He refused to go back into a game. That is the height of being unprofessional. It doesn’t mean I think he’s never going to amount to anything. He still might become a very good player. But he should also be punished for crossing a line.

• Apr 4, 20116:55 pm
          by BIG MARV

@ rick you know what… if he leaves Detroit and turn his career around in Miami, NY, or LA Lakers then so be it, but I think we are tired of the slow dance he’s giving us it’s time to change the tune. I wouldn’t be mad at all if he does great for another team, I’ll actually watch his growth and probably be a fan again. But as of now his type of play is not working here and were at the point we don’t have time to develop another 7 year rookie look at Jason Maxiell he never developed yet and he still play like he just left off the campus of Cincinnati. There has been point guards that has been drafted after Stuckey. (Rose, Westbrook, Wall, Jennings, Felton) that are either leading their teams into playoff contention or have been to all star games and are leading their teams in contention for the playoffs. Stuckey was in that class of “upcoming” Guards but now he took a step back. It’s like the oprah weight loss thing, one year she looks cute as skinny oprah then the next year she looks terrible as fat oprah. We need cute oprah all year every year or we have to cancel his ass and just like oprah we have to retire him from Detroit this summer.

• Apr 5, 201110:43 am
        by brgulker

@ rick,

lolwut?

• Apr 4, 201112:44 pm
    by Quick Darshan

Give Stuckey a break.  Maybe he thought they were honoring Scottie Pippen at halftime.

• Apr 4, 20113:24 pm
    by Tim

I think the odds are increasing that we get Stuckey back on a qualifying offer. I doubt any team will give him as much money as he will want. If I’m Dumars, at this point, I would probably offer him 4 yrs/$20M.

• Apr 4, 20114:18 pm
    by gordbrown

Remember those experiments with rats they used to to in the 1950s. Where they would drive the poor l’il critters insane by having the right lever give food and the left lever give a shock and then reversing it. The rats would then proceed to have a nervous breakdown. Somehow when I think of the Pistons seasons and how the players have been used and who gets playing time and who sits, that’s the image that comes to my mind.

• Apr 4, 20115:13 pm

There are bad teams in the NBA every season. There are dysfunctional teams every season. Are the Pistons bad and dysfunctional? Yes. A lot of the reaction to this season is simply from a fanbase that grew accustomed to not watching losing and had remarkable stability as a result of Bill Davidson’s long ownership. It’s a down spot for sure, but there’s not anything particularly remarkable about it or different from the down spots that other teams experience.

• Apr 4, 201111:03 pm
        by gordbrown

I agree with you and I’ve made many of those points here myself. But another part of it is this team should and could easily be much better than their record would indicate. Are they good enough to get out of the first round of the playoffs? No. And they wouldn’t be even if they had Chauncey and McDyess and not Hamilton. But getting to the first round of the playoffs would at least be a step in the right direction, one that hasn’t happened because of the circus (although you may be right that the circus is a symptom and not a cause and, while I don’t necessarily agree, it’s a debatable point). But more to the point, everyone is saying Stuckey shouldn’t have the right to be upset about weight the circus has put on him. I don’t think that’s fair. Remember the only side we get to here is Kuester’s and even he hides behind (conveniently anonymous) surrogates.

• Apr 5, 20117:23 am
          by Tim

The only side we hear is Kuester’s? Stuckey gets asked about it and doesn’t say anything. Kuester gets asked and doesn’t say anything. I agree that we have a lack of direct knowledge and that the info we get is sure to be biased. But which way it is biased is anyone’s guess because those who know most about what is going on aren’t talking. Which is probably actually a good thing.

• Apr 5, 20119:10 am
            by gordbrown

You don’t have to be a professional media analyst (although I’ve been a professional media analyst for 20 years) to see the bias in the reports that are coming out. And of course Rodney Stuckey can’t say anything, he’s already in deep shit. But “unnamed team sources” is clearly Kuester, probably one of his personal assistants (like the AV tech or like that).

• Apr 5, 201110:10 am

“Unnamed team sources” is not clearly Kuester. In fact, Kuester leaking that a player flat out didn’t listen to him isn’t good for him in any way. Theoretically, the dude wants to coach again somewhere. How does it do him any kind of favors to have media reports show up suggesting that his players don’t listen to or respect him?

The unnamed sources are almost assuredly players. It has happened all season. The Pistons have a factioned locker room, divided among veterans and young players. I would bet that all of the behind the scenes stuff about Hamilton that was leaked anonymously early in the season came from one of the young players and I would bet that Stuckey refusing to re-enter a game was leaked by a veteran.

• [...] Oh, hey, a Detroit player (Rodney Stuckey this time) openly disobeyed head coach John Kuester! I enjoyed the reaction of Piston Powered’s Dan Feldman. Stuckey is about to be a restricted free agent in a league loaded with point guards. I can’t [...]