Player Revolt? Pistons veterans skip morning shootaround in alleged protest

You can’t make this stuff up. Take it away, Vincent Goodwill:

A day after the trade deadline passed, Pistons players appeared to stage some type of protest against their coach.

Tracy McGrady, Tayshaun Prince, Richard Hamilton, Ben Wallace and Chris Wilcox did not show up to Friday morning’s shootaround, in what a team source called a “player protest.”

Wow. The threat of getting traded is gone. Now, clearly, things are going to get interesting. You thought the Pistons veterans were rebellious before? Just … wow. We’ll see if any of the five play tonight. Well, four I should say, because we clearly knew Hamilton would not play.

Per Goodwill, the team offered this explanation:

According to team spokesman Cletus Lewis, McGrady was out with a headache, Prince had the stomach flu, while Wilcox and Hamilton apparently missed the bus without a reason. Wallace has been dealing with an ongoing family matter for the past month, though.

John Kuester sounded less than convinced:

“We have some things, some excuses, not excuses, but absences because of headache and stuff like that.”

Much to Kuester’s detriment, Joe Dumars has stayed out of the fray on the multiple coach-player issues this season. Perhaps it’s time for him to maybe consider interjecting? Clearly, the players feel emboldend, and if, as Goodwill’s sources indicate, this is really some type of revolt, it’s unprecedented. Players and coaches feud all the time in the NBA. But to have four veteran leaders and, hilariously, Chris Wilcox, with alleged purposeful insubordination? That issue just can’t be ignored any longer.

• Feb 25, 20111:43 pm
    by BIG MARV

Yeah I love it! I love it! keep protesting fellas That should wake joe ass up and get kuester the hell otta here!

• Feb 25, 20111:51 pm
    by Adam

Maybe we will get some Terrico White time!

• Feb 25, 20112:03 pm
    by neutes

Good. Great. Awesome. Who cares.

Wait, now I have to watch more Stuckey, damn you Mcgrady. I’m sick of Stuckey. Give me more Moose. With Big Ben and Wilcox out I expect a 20 rebound game from Monroe. It’s not like CV or Max are going to snag any of them. No Prince to grab any either. Bynum, Gordon, Stuckey, Summers, CV, and Daye should jack up enough shots for Moose to rebound, and more for Brand.

• Feb 25, 20113:19 pm
    by Sam

Maybe the Pistons veterans were inspired by what is going on the Middle East.

• [...] Five Pistons missed today’s shootaround, and two more showed up late.  The team’s problemsare spiraling out of control, and the [...]

• Feb 25, 20115:49 pm
    by D-Rock

I say cut them all why have unispired players play i bet a couple of d-leagers would kill to play even if its the pistons

• Feb 25, 20116:27 pm
    by gmehl1977

All i can say is that no matter who is wrong (Kuester or players) i am embarrassed to be a piston fan today. Through all the losses and bad times i have never been embarrassed like i am today.

• Feb 25, 201111:19 pm
    by Rodman4Life

And to think our slogan used to be “going to work”
    The new team theme song is Kris Kross, “I missed the bus” LOL

• [...] I am a Pistons fan, the podcasted ended with a discussion of players revolting against their head coach in Detroit after NOT being traded. As I have said in the past, the problem isn’t John Kuester. The problem [...]