John Hollinger proposes the Pistons trade Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince to the Clippers for Chris Kaman, more

ESPN’s John Hollinger came up with a few trade ideas today, including one involving the Pistons and Clippers. Let’s take a look.

Trade

Tayshaun Prince $11,148,760 $0 $0
Terrico White $473,604 $788,872 $0
Total $24,122,364 $13,288,872 $12,500,000

-Player option

-Not fully guaranteed

John Hollinger’s explanation

This one seems too obvious not to pursue — Detroit offloads an unhappy camper and saves $12.5 million on the last year of the contract and adds a big man who hails from Michigan, while the Clippers get a potent sixth man for their rotation in return for a player who has become marginalized by DeAndre Jordan’s development. Several permutations of this deal work, especially if we involve a third team to take Jason Maxiell or Charlie Villanueva off the Pistons’ hands, but I’ve linked to a two-team deal that I like the best.

A straight-up Kaman-for-Hamilton deal is somewhat unfair in favor of the Pistons. But not dramatically so, and we can build off that. Send Tayshaun Prince to the Clippers and dangle a future first-round pick, Randy Foye and $3 million to pay Foye in front of Detroit and things even out. Obviously the key to this deal would be having Prince, an LA native, agree to an extension with the Clippers before the trade. The Pistons’ sale also shouldn’t be an impediment to this particular trade, as Detroit would send out more dollars than it takes back.

If the Clippers pulled this off, they’d immediately become a force in the West. The frontcourt would be thin, but with Prince filling the 3 and Hamilton coming off the bench, their top eight would be as good as anyone’s and they’d likely make a playoff run next season.

Verdict

I’d do it if I were the Pistons. Unfortunately, Breene Murphy of ClipperBlog didn’t find the deal as enticing:

I can’t imagine the Clippers would do this, considering all the money they would take on with the new CBA.

And Kaman is at an all time low in terms of trade value. Why not wait and use him for better trades next year when his expiring contract and improved play can possibly draw a big time free agent that’s leaving?

I normally think that the Clippers overvalue Kaman, but the Clippers need a big more than a small forward, in my opinion. I think that Ryan Gomes rights himself to the extent he becomes serviceable and having Tayshaun on an extension blocks the possible development of Aminu. And while Tayshaun would be a monumental upgrade this year, I’m not sure it’s good for the future. And the Clippers are all about the future.

I guess I was just hopeful because someone unbiased thought the Pistons could make this trade.

• Feb 10, 20114:22 pm

“Am I crazy in thinking that Rip isn’t that good anymore? I mean, I’ve only seen a couple games of Detroit’s, but still.”

Uh Oh Breene Murphy. Look out, Laser’s gonna get cha.

• Feb 10, 20115:17 pm
      by Alan

Hahaha…I don’t always see eye-to-eye with Laser but I’m with him 100% on this one – I don’t think Rip Hamilton is done.  That said, the Pistons don’t get a huge haul in this deal.  Kaman is an upgrade but he hasn’t stayed healthy since…well, when has he ever been healthy?  Randy Foye is aight but we don’t need another wing.  In fact, you could make the arguement (with an unhealthy Kaman) the biggest value in this trade for Detroit is a 1st-round pick.

I mean, I’d like to see Detroit unload Rip but to give up Tayshaun too for a gamble that the Clips future 1st rounder will have value may not be the best deal out there.

• Feb 10, 20118:02 pm
        by Laser

hard to blame anyone who’s not paying attention for thinking rip’s finished. hell, people who pay enough attention to run a pistons blog think that. based on their actions, you’d think the damn organization thinks it.

it’s just not a fair or logical conclusion to draw based on the totality of the circumstances. it’s not like i think the guy could be an all-star again, but the overall talent gap between our shooting guards is probably rather slim. we may never know for certain, but it would take one smug, stubborn shell of a GM to stay married to the other two even if he can’t trade rip.

• [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Patrick Hayes, PistonPowered Feed. PistonPowered Feed said: John Hollinger proposes the Pistons trade Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince to the Clippers for Chris Kaman, … http://bit.ly/dYlExx [...]

• Feb 10, 20116:33 pm
    by Tim

The thing with giving up Prince is that his value to the Pistons is at an all time low but his trade value is pretty high. I like Prince, Stuckey, and McGrady, but right now I think they are more valuable to other teams than to the Pistons. And that is the definition of when someone should be dealt. They have a number of cheaper players who can play his position. And players are only assets if they outplay their contracts. If their play is inferior to their salary, they are negative assets. Unfortunately, the majority of the players who outplay their contracts are superstars who can’t be paid more than the max and young players on rookie contracts. Since Prince and Stuckey and McGrady are about to be free agents, we can assume they will probably get contracts next year that are fairly equal to their ability. Unless we can sign them at a discount, they aren’t worth much to the Pistons. I hope Dumars gets whatever he can for them right now (preferably an opportunity to get rid of some of Hamilton, Maxiell, and Gordon and/or some draft picks). Then Detroit will have cap space over the summer to go after whichever players compliment the team best. And if they still want Prince or Stuckey or TMac then, they can still try to resign them. But in the meantime, they won’t count against the cap.
    The big draw to Kaman over Hamilton is that if he miraculously becomes healthy, he is the better player and if not, he still has one year less left on his contract. Personally, I think Detroit should offer Gordon and either Jerebko or Daye to Cleveland for Varejao and Sessions. That would make McGrady more expendable and basically make it so Detroit can pursue whatever player is available on the best deal over the summer instead of being stuck focusing on a particular position.

• Feb 10, 20117:26 pm
      by Jason

While I would LOVE to see Ramon Sessions in a Pistons uniform, there is NO WAY I would include Jerebko in that deal.. To me, Jerebko and Monroe are the Pistons two Untouchables, and I hope most Pistons fans agree..

Jerebko is everything that resembles the Detroit Pistons, and I just cannot wait to see him back on the floor. I don’t care who we could get in return, Jerebko needs to be a Piston for years to come!!

I don’t think this would be a terrible deal, but I would rather not take on Foye’s deal.. Not only that, but while I used to be a Kaman to Detroit fan, I don’t think he pairs with Greg Monroe all that well, and now that Monroe has emerged as a solid player, i’d rather get a defensive minded Big to compliment him down low..

• Feb 10, 20118:04 pm
    by Rodman4Life

This trade proposal no longer interests me either.  Monroe’s emergence and Jerebko’s return have a lot to do with that.  But a 1st round draft pick, hmmm . . . . . .

• Feb 10, 201110:38 pm
    by nuetes

I wouldn’t have much interest in Tay for Kaman straight up, and this trade makes less sense seeing as how the Pistons would be committing to more salary next season. I’d take that Cleveland trade someone brought up. I wouldn’t mind getting our hands on Varajeo and Sessions. Basically talking Cleveland’s two best players (kinda sad). Throw them Stuckey and Gordon who cares. Only guys I want sticking around are Monroe and Jerebko. And Jerebko is just a fun role player.