Shorthanded Pistons will start Austin Daye against Juwan Howard’s Heat

Las Vegas projection

Spread: Pistons +10.5

Over/under: 191

Score: Heat win, 100.75-90.25

Three things to watch

1. Depleted Pistons

Rodney Stuckey (shoulder), Ben Wallace (family matter) and Richard Hamilton (flu) will miss the game tonight, according to Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News. Probably not the best night to play shorthanded.

2. Austin Daye starting

With Chris Bosh out for Miami, LeBron James will start at power forward, according Bill Reiter of FOXSports.com. The Pistons will counter by throwing Tayshaun Prince on LeBron and starting Austin Daye against James Jones, according to Keith Langlois of Pistons.com.

Tonight could preview a future of Daye playing power forward on offense and small forward on defense with Jonas Jerebko taking the other spot, depending on matchups.

3. Juwan Howard!!!!!

I don’t care about the Big 3. Juwan Howard really keys the Heat’s success. They’re 4-0 when he plays at least 17:43, and that’s totally the cause and effect. The 17-year pro obviously will decide whether Miami wins a championship. He’s still one of the NBA’s most dominant big men, and the Pistons will have their hands full with him.

Plus, I heard he went to a great college.

(I promise I’ll stop rubbing that in soon.)

Pregame Reading

• [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Patrick Hayes, PistonPowered Feed. PistonPowered Feed said: Shorthanded Pistons will start Austin Daye against Juwan Howard’s Heat: Essentials Teams: Detroit Pistons at Mia… http://bit.ly/fhPhRN [...]

• Jan 28, 20118:23 pm
    by detroitpcb

young boy Austin Daye missing his shots but playing some great Defense – giving LeBron James fits.

• Jan 28, 20119:21 pm
    by Fennis

Coach Kue needs to bring in pound-for-pound Larry Brown for a guest lecture on closing out quarters? Has this issue been addressed by the coaches or the media? I’m tired of squandering healthy leads in the last few moments of the quarter.

• Jan 28, 20119:37 pm
    by Fennis

4:45
    Kue removes his best shooter and his best rebounder with the game on the line. How do you win when your coach is working against you?

• Jan 28, 201110:19 pm

Wow. 37 percent shooting. Could we maybe find a touch or two more for the guy (Monroe) who shot 67 percent? No? You wanna just jack up some more perimeter jumpers? OK.

• Jan 28, 201110:28 pm
    by Jacob

I feel like someone just told me my favorite pet just died…..I can’t believe how this game ended

• Jan 29, 201112:20 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Fennis, I don’t think there’s a trend of the Pistons closing quarters poorly. I think it’s more a case of selective memory, which is difficult to fight against — including for myself.

• Jan 29, 201112:23 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Patrick, Monroe shoots such a high percentage because he doesn’t create his own shot.

He scores when he’s open and McGrady is in or when he gets an offensive rebound. Nearly 100 percent of the time he’s open and McGrady is in, McGrady finds him. Nearly 100 percent of the time he gets an offensive rebound and can make a good shot, he takes it.

There’s no way to increase the shots Monroe makes 67 percent of the time.

Now, you could get him some more shots, but they won’t be as high quality, and he’ll make a lot less of them.