Mikhail Prokhorov pulls New Jersey Nets out of Carmelo Anthony trade talks, potentially leaving Richard Hamilton with Detroit Pistons forever
“I’m not happy with the way … this deal has gone until now,” Prokhorov said. “It has taken too long. It has been played out in public and it certainly has taken a toll on the players and I believe that it has cost us several games. I think management did a great job, but there comes a time when the price is simply too expensive. I’m instructing our team to walk away from the deal.”
The Nets have lost six straight, including all four on a just-completed West Coast road trip that ended in Oakland on Monday.
The decision to pull out of the talks was made Tuesday, said Prokhorov, who displayed a discernable level of frustration at the collapse of the deal the Nets had been working on for three months.
“It’s my decision,” said Prokhorov, who said the Nets were given permission to speak with Anthony but never got a “straightforward answer” on the specifics of that meeting.
Prokhorov said he never heard from Anthony.
This is obviously terrible news for the Pistons, considering this was not only the most obvious way to shed Richard Hamilton, it might have been the only way to shed Hamilton. How Detroit will proceed remains a mystery.
In the short term, will Hamilton regain his rotation spot? If he does immediately, that would hurt the credibility of John Kuester, who maintained the decision had nothing to do with the potential trade. If Hamilton still sits most nights, will his attitude deteriorate even more?
In the long term, how will the Pistons build a team while still paying Richard Hamilton at least $21.5 million the next two years?
Leave a Reply