Carmelo Anthony trade could allow Pistons to spend $6.5 million in free agency, then re-sign Rodney Stuckey, Tracy McGrady and Jonas Jerebko

Thanks to Herm in the comments for pointing out the first-round draft pick’s cap hold, which I initially forgot to include. The post, including the title, has been updated to reflect it.

As I researched this post on the Pistons-Nets-Nuggets Carmelo Anthony trade, I became a firmer believer in a conclusion I had already reached: the Pistons must complete this deal. Their outlook would change greatly for the better.

Patrick covered the on-court ramifications, and I explained how it would affect Karen Davidson’s bottom line.

That leaves the most relevant aspect of the trade: how it affects the Pistons’ salary structure as it relates to building a competitive basketball team.

For the purposes of this post, I’m going with the most recently and commonly reported version of the trade from the Pistons’ perspective – Richard Hamilton and DaJuan Summers for Troy Murphy and Johan Petro.

Salaries committed

Austin Daye has a $1,929,600 team option for next season, and the Pistons will definitely pick that up, so I’m counting that as committed salary for this entire post.

With their current roster, the Pistons have $47,073,920 committed to next season.* After the trade, that total would drop to $37,823,920 – a savings of $9,250,000. The savings comes from replacing Hamilton’s $12.5 million salary with Petro’s $3.25 million salary. (Murphy’s contract expires.)

*Pistons under fully guaranteed contractions next season: Richard Hamilton, Ben Gordon, Charlie Villanueva, Jason Maxiell, Will Bynum, Greg Monroe and Ben Wallace.

The Pistons also must pay their first-round pick. The Pistons hold the the league’s sixth-worst record, and although I think they would climb the standings after this trade, I’ll stick with the scale salary for the No. 6 pick – $2,634,000. That raises the Pistons total to $49,707,920.

Cap room

The above section is fact. The rest of this post relies on speculation.

At this point in the year, the following season’s salary cap can’t be known. Considering the Collective Bargaining Agreement expires this summer, the uncertainty is even greater. The cap could increase. It could decrease. It could become hard. It could remain soft. Larry Coon covers the issues, which are too complex to deal with here.

I really don’t know where the salary cap will be set next year, but I’m going to make a prediction: it will be similar to this year’s $58,044,000 mark. So, without any better projection, that’s the number I’ll use for this post.

If that’s the case, the Pistons would have $8,336,080 to spend if they don’t make the trade and $17,581,080 if they do make the trade. Keep in mind, re-signing free agents Troy Murphy, Tayshaun Prince, Chris Wilcox, Rodney Stuckey, Tracy McGrady and Jonas Jerebko would cut into that cap room.

Here’s my estimated first-year salary for each of those players next season:

• Stuckey – $9 million
  • Prince – $9 million
  • Murphy – $7 million
  • McGrady – $5 million
  • Jerebko – $4 million
  • Wilcox – $3 million

My guess is the Pistons will re-sign Stuckey, McGrady and Jerebko.

I can’t imagine the Pistons will have much interest in re-signing Wilcox, especially considering they’d be adding Petro. Murphy is a little redundant with – although, arguably better than – Villanueva. Considering the difficulties assimilating the old and new guards this season, Prince probably doesn’t fit in Detroit.

But I have another reason for my prediction (as long as this part of the CBA doesn’t change).

Every free agent counts against the cap at a number specified by the CBA until he signs a contract or his team renounces him. Here are the cap holds for each Pistons free agent:

• Stuckey – $8,301,378
  • Prince – greater of $11 million or 30 percent of the salary cap
  • Murphy – greater of $14 million or 35 percent of the salary cap
  • McGrady – $1,622,617
  • Jerebko – $1,059,293
  • Wilcox – $3,900,000

So, Detroit could re-sign Stuckey, McGrady and Jerebko for the combined $18 million I projected above, and as long as the Pistons sign those three last – keeping the lower cap-hold figure in place until signing other free agents – and renounced everyone else, they’d have about $6.5 million in cap room.

What could the Pistons do with $6.5 million in cap room? The 2011 free agent class might be light on superstars relocating, but it’s full of second-tier big men – which is exactly what the Pistons need.

Nene (my preference), Zach Randolph (my prediction), Marc Gasol (restricted), Samuel Dalembert, Kendrick Perkins, Tyson Chandler, DeAndre Jordan (restricted), Nenad Krstic, Greg Oden (restricted), David West, Kenyon Martin or Andrei Kirilenko could be options.

If the $6.5 million isn’t enough under the new CBA to lure any of these players, Detroit could always try to trade a current player or pass on any of Stuckey, McGrady or Jerebko. Feel free to mix and match.

Cap holds and restricted free agency

Rodney Stuckey and Jonas Jerebko will be restricted free agents, and for the Pistons to maintain their right to match offers, they must leave enough cap room for each player’s cap hold. Stuckey’s cap hold will be $8,301,378, and Jerebko’s will be $1,059,293 if the that portion of the CBA remains constant.

This might not become relevant this summer, but it might. It’s important Detroit recognizes the situation.

Mid-level exception competition

The Pistons, the team that has used the mid-level exception better than any other in NBA history, might end up rooting against its inclusion in the next Collective Bargaining Agreement.

If the Pistons make this trade and the MLE no longer exists, it would eliminate some competition for free agents. If the Pistons don’t make the trade, the MLE might be their only way to sign free agents for more than a minimum or near-minimum contract.

2012 and beyond

As a result of this trade, the Pistons’ 2012-13 payroll would fall by $9 million* to $41,217,357 assuming Austin Daye’s and Greg Monroe’s options are picked up, Jason Maxiell exercises his player option. Of course, any signings or trades would affect that total.

*Hamilton’s contract is guaranteed for just $9 million, but I’m counting the full $12.5 million because he’ll almost certainly be worth more as an expiring contract than $3 million in savings.

The further into the future, the projections get murkier. But this much is clear: if the Pistons make this trade, their future becomes rosier.

• Jan 14, 201112:07 pm
    by Keith P

Are we sure that McGrady wants to resign with us during our rebuilding period? I was under the impression that there was a kind of mutual single-season rental going on right now. We let McGrady see the court and get healthy on a discount, he plays himself into a larger contract.

I’d be all for resigning the guy. He’s shown nothing but professionalism and an understated kind of leadership. Given the choice, however, I thought that he was looking to go to a contender next. I’m pretty sure he expressed a general desire to play with a team like the Heat earlier this season.

• Jan 14, 201112:16 pm
    by herm

What about the 1st round pick cap hold?

• Jan 14, 201112:31 pm
    by Waulie

As Herm pointed out, you forgot the cap hold for our (probably quite high) first round pick.  Say that’s about $2 to $3 million, which reduces your hypothetical spending power to about $6 to $7 million.  You also forgot minimum cap holds to get the roster to 12 players.  That would only be one additional spot based on your hypothetical above, but would further reduce available money by about $0.5 million.

The big problem with this is there is no way the cap number won’t change with the new CBA.  I would guess the new cap will be $50 million or less, thus leaving the Pistons with zero to spend unless they don’t re-sign anybody.

The trade is still very beneficial since the Pistons’ current salary structure will be absolutely terrible after the new CBA comes into effect.

• Jan 14, 201112:41 pm
    by Odeh

I think in addition to the salary cutting that will be made with the Rip trade, we can also expect the Pistons to shed Maxiells contract to another team.  Although some think his contract is cumbersome, $5 mil/yr for a decent backup big man, is not too much for his productivity and position.  I think a team like Orlando may be interested for spot minutes.

Also, Nene is also my first choice this summer, but I think he has an early termination option that I do not think he will excercise with his salary and uncertainty regarding the new CBA.

• [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Zach Lowe and Patrick Hayes. Patrick Hayes said: From @PistonPowered: Carmelo Anthony trade could allow Pistons to spend $9 million in free agency, then re-sign … http://bit.ly/dHrOa7 [...]

• Jan 14, 201112:44 pm
    by herm

Or dump Stuck and you can still chase a big.

Waulie-

U think Stern would allow for the punishment of teams who have been responsible?  Seems that would make it tough on teams that have worked hard to clear deals.  Maybe a 1 year grandfather deal w/the cap?

• Jan 14, 20111:18 pm
    by nuetes

We just need to trade Stuckey all there is to it. Get something out of him. Either a pick, or use him in a package with Max or CV to clear some more contracts. I don’t want Stuckey back, and letting him walk or renouncing him makes very little sense if you could have capitalized by trading him.

As far as free agents if Nene opted out he’d be option 1. Randolph is going to want too much money, and he might be worth it for a season or two, but he’s not getting any younger. Humphries could be a bargain. Jordan is going to cost an arm and a leg as well most likely as the Clips have the right to match. Oden would be interesting. Chandler is also a short-term solution like Z-Bo. Not exactly a too die for free agent class.

Could also use that cap space to facilitate trades so free agency isn’t the only option. We just need to put ourselves in decent position after the new CBA. Can’t get stuck with this roster, although I’m anticipating that’s what will happen.

• Jan 14, 20111:29 pm
    by Waulie

Yeah, you might be right Herm.

But something will change, and change quite a bit.  Whether that’s a reduced cap, hard cap, reduced exceptions, etc., who knows.  I certainly don’t think it’s reasonable to assume that everything will remain the same.  I’m sure teams will be given the means to gradually come in under the new cap, but if they’re allowed to keep signing players above the new cap then what has changed?

My point was that the scenario presented is extremely optimistic to the point of being borderline impossible.

• Jan 14, 20112:59 pm
    by Paul

CARL LANDRY??
    Hes only been in the league for a few years and seems to be getting better and better, and seems like a good fit to pair with greg monroe in the front court.  He could get CV money and actually be worth it…..
    Also, I would prefer David West to some of the other options mentioned.  I think we need a strong PF who can score 20ppg and block shots to complement Monroe’s skill set
    I also think if we can draft someone like Irving or a potential franchise PG then holding on to Stuckey and T-mac may not be worth it with BG and White

• Jan 14, 20113:04 pm
    by Paul

Also, if we could draft someone like Derrick Williams instead of a PG and hang onto both T-MAC and Stuckey…then signing a big-time free agent isnt nessecary
    and maybe someone to help solidify the rotation might do the trick….ultimately I think given a lottery draft pick it seems like making all them moves listed in this article would be redundant

• Jan 14, 20113:13 pm
    by Laser

1) no reason to re-sign t-mac. none whatsoever. on his side, i think he’s going to want one more sizable contract and to play for an actual NBA team (read: not us). as a matter of ego, he may think he’s the team’s best player wherever he plays… but it’s a bad sign if most people would agree. on our side, we’ve got to get this damn rebuilding effort in full swing, get some pieces for the future. t-mac’s not going to take us anywhere, because he’s going to be retired by the time we’re any good.

2) at any given time i’d jump at the chance to trade stuckey. particularly while he’s still on his rookie contract and has an unusual amount of value. he’s a nice player if you need a scoring guard, but his appeal shrivels to “eh” once he’s on a contract starting at $7 million a year minimum. there’s less urgency to trade him if we can get rid of rip, but if there’s a CHANCE holding onto stuckey costs us a zach randolph, even if we have to lose him for nothing at all, i’d let him walk.

3) if we’re able to shed rip’s contract, i’m all about shedding basically any contract we have if it means we have a reasonable chance at a quality big man like zach randolph. i think max is probably quite movable to a contender in need of a fourth big man. boston used to want him and may yet. i’d hold onto daye, jj, monroe… maybe collect some draft picks… if there’s interest around the league in guys like gordon and villa, trade ‘em. i’m neutral on those guys, but we need a centerpiece. if there’s one thing these last few years have been, it’s that.

• Jan 14, 20113:45 pm
    by Nick

I don’t think we should resign Stuckey at all. What’s the future there? He’s a good but not great player; he’s not a good point guard (T-Mac is way better and he’s not a true point guard and he’s playing with bad knees). It was my understanding, too, that T-Mac was basically just auditioning this year for contenders next year: I doubt he’s coming back and why would be want him back? We need to rebuild and he’s really old.
    Also, concerning Free Agency, would NeNe or Randolph really be good long term for us. Even with them it seems like we would still be stuck in limbo draft wise (not bad enough for a high pick and not good enough to make a deep playoff run) which would seriously impede our ability to get a star in the draft.
    I’m extremely uncertain what the Pistons will do (and I don’t see this deal happening because Anthony wants to be a Knick), but I hope they don’t splurge on a big contract this free agency and let the core of Charlie V, Gordon, Daye, Jerekbo, Monroe, and Bynum (or preferable a young pg we get in the draft or free agency) get some minutes next year; maybe sign Landry or Dalembert for reasonable contracts if possible so we have some interior defense. The team will probably be bad, but at least the young players will improve a bit and we could get a higher draft pick for next year.

• Jan 14, 20113:55 pm
    by Glenn

I’m interested in Oden for a good price, say 3 years 12 million?  Arnie hasn’t met a banged-up body he couldn’t rehab yet (the injury free 4 or 5 years back in the good days, Mcdyess, McGrady ((any other Mc’s out there?)), Webber).  If he could get Oden back and playing long stretches of time again?  It could be beautiful.

• Jan 14, 20113:58 pm
    by brgulker

I’d like to add another layer to the conversation: sign & trades.

From my quick and dirty analysis, it looks like we’ll hold the rights to:
    Murphy
    Tay
    Stuckey

All of whom will count as a cap hold, until a new contract is signed.

As others have pointed out, assuming a cap similar to this season, we’ll have something more like $7.5 million to spend — or roughly, one Charlie Villanueva. I doubt we get anything more than Dalambert out of that type of money (which I’d be fine with, personally).

Presumably, Dumars understands all this, as do the three players above … which is important because:

For Tay to get $9 million per, he’d have to sign with a team with that amount of cap space. Presumably, he’ll want to sign with a competitive team — and there aren’t that many competitive teams out there with that much money to offer, let alone to him.

Same for Murphy.

Less so for Stuckey. He’ll likely sign the biggest deal he gets at this stage in his career.

Here’s my point: would you rather trust Joe with $7.5 million in free agent money? Or would you rather have him negotiate some type of S&T and/or simply retain guys like Tay and Murphy on reasonable deals to be moved at a later date?

• Jan 14, 20114:06 pm
    by brgulker

Also, if we’re paying Stuckey $9 million, I’m going to cry … and probably stop watching this team.
    Gordon at ~ $11 million
    Stuckey at ~$9 million
    Charlie at $7.5 million

That is the very definition of mediocrity.

• Jan 14, 20114:39 pm
    by jk281

Why would we re-sign Stuckey and McGrady, when we could use all of that money to get an elite big man in FA?

Otherwise, we’re basically bringing the same garbage team back plus one mid-level exception player?

IMO, nobody on this team deserves to be re-signed, except McGrady, if at the right price, but signing an elite big man should be this teams #1 priority, and if there’s any money left, maybe they can re-sign McGrady.

btw I do want to resign Jerebko though. He will likely come very cheap considering his injury and only having played 1 season, so that shoudn’t hinder signing a top big man.

This is a big year in FA for big men. We need to land one at all costs.

• Jan 14, 20115:41 pm
    by Odeh

So we basically have the MLE at $6.5 million?  I say we trade Tay and Murphy when we get him so we could take on more salary.  If we have new owners before the trade deadline, that’s what I think happens because the 6.5 is not enough flexibility in the offseason, when right now we can take someone with a $20 mil/ yr salary. Now im not saying we have to spend that much but maybe a team like Atl wants 2 big expiring contracts for Josh Smith and a fill in?

• Jan 14, 20115:49 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Keith, the Pistons have two things no other team can offer: Arnie Kander and Joe Dumars. McGrady has said many times how important Kander has been in getting him healthy. And McGrady surely respects Dumars, who always treats veterans well.

I bet McGrady will look at contenders, but don’t completely rule out his return to Detroit yet.

• Jan 14, 20115:49 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Herm, thanks. I updated the post.

• Jan 14, 20115:51 pm
    by BIG MARV

so is this senario will happen if we keep the new coach or sign a new one? becuse i think before i sign anybody I’m gettim me another coach thats smart and that players respect and not to metion on the cheap. Like Mike Woodson, Mo Cheeks, Terry Porter, Bill Lambeer or Sam Mitchell but if you gonna keep kuester I suggest you draft well and put most of your chips on a good player dont resign nobody but jerebko these players need some kind of spark

• Jan 14, 20115:55 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Waulie, there would be no roster charges under this scenario because 12 players will already count:

1. Ben Gordon
    2. Charlie Villanueva
    3. Jason Maxiell
    4. Will Bynum
    5. Greg Monroe
    6. Ben Wallace
    7. Austin Daye
    8. Johan Petro
    9. Rodney Stuckey
    10. Tracy McGrady
    11. Jonas Jerebko
    12. First-round pick
    Under the current CBA, the salary cap is designed to increase each year (considering the league aims to make more money each year), and the cap has increased four of five years.
    If the cap remains the same number next year, that would likely come with a reduction in the percentage of the BRI used to define the salary cap. So, although it might look stagnant, that would actually be a victory for the owners.

• Jan 14, 20115:58 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Odeh, fair point on Nene. He does have an ETO, and the new CBA will likely determine whether he exercises it. I can hope, though.

• Jan 14, 20116:01 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Waulie, to clarify, here’s my prediction for factors relevant here:

-Reduction in percentage of BRI used to calculate the salary cap. Because BRI will likely increase this season, that could lead to a salary cap similar to this year’s.

-Continued use of a soft cap

-Reduction of the amount of the MLE

• Jan 14, 20116:05 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Laser, this plan calls for letting Prince walk. McGrady could become the starting small forward. Unless you’re PCB, I don’t think you can hate that plan.

Haven’t you always said this team would get better by shedding a couple wing players? If Rip and Hamilton are gone next year, could a team with McGrady starting at small forward and an added big man, make a playoff run?

• Jan 14, 20116:07 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Glenn, Kander has been great at getting players healthy because he assesses them before Detroit signs them. Who knows how many players the Pistons have passed on because Kander said there was nothing he could do. I don’t think you can just look at any injured player in the league and assume Kander would have the magic touch with them.

• Jan 14, 20116:09 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Odeh, the Hawks aren’t trading Josh Smith for expiring contracts. He’s way, way too good for that.

• Jan 14, 20116:43 pm
    by Nelson

Dan, i was just wondering about your opinion on Oden? I read that he’ll never be able to be the athletic force he was projected to be with the injury and will mainly operate as a below the rim player, something we already have in Monroe to an extent. Then again, he was selected over Durant for a reason and could possibly be the biggest bargain out of all the free agent big men.

• Jan 14, 20117:03 pm
    by Waulie

Sorry dan, counting fail on my part.
    I still think it is pretty optimistic to think the changes in the CBA will be ones that don’t affect the Pistons offseason.  Frankly, a relatively tiny reduction in salary as a percentage of BRI (equal to a relatively tiny increase in BRI this year) and an arbitrary reduction in the MLE is probably better than the players initial offer.  The Owners will close it down if this is the best offer.

• Jan 14, 20117:46 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Nelson, I’d love for the Pistons to at least bring in Oden. He still has a ton of upside, but you can’t get a player with that potential unless he has major flaws, which Oden does. You must evaluate the cost/benefit risk of signing him, but I’d think for a few years and a few million a year, he’d pass that test.

• Jan 14, 20117:58 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Waulie, I think there be more substantial changes than what I listed, just not ones that affect the Pistons this summer (increased revenue sharing, lowering of the luxury tax, lowering of max contracts). I just don’t think the system is that broken to the point it will look radically different in the new CBA. The top teams are still making plenty of money. The league will just be better off if they share more of it with the bottom teams.

• Jan 14, 20119:12 pm
    by danny

This team is a joke. I am ashamed to be a Pistons fan. For all the credit Dumars was getting 5 years ago, its apparent he was more lucky, than good. No one could of imagined Billups would emerge the way he did, he made a good trade for Rip then got lucky with Rasheed. Then he drafts Darko over Carmelo because ‘we have Tayshaun Prince’. Then proceeds to let Larry Brown walk. He then proceeds to make his biggest mistake yet, by hiring the inadequate Flip Saunders. I screamed at the top of my lungs not to hire him. Any casual fan can tell hes a mediocre coach. He reminds of Wade Phillips in the NFL. Good mind, not a good leader. Then with nothing left to do but dismantle the team, he trades away the most valuable, for salary cap space, which he uses to over-pay Gordon and the lazy Villanueva, and then waits to long to trade (what were role players anyways) Prince and Hamilton, who now have little value. And by the way, Stuckey is no superstar. Fire Dumars.

• Jan 14, 20119:33 pm
    by gmehl1977

About t-mac staying or going I don’t know if being on a contender means as much to him as staying healthy is. I just think the guy wants to play and play pain free. He has that with Arnie looking after him. Joe might not want to bring him back so he can fully rebuild. That is IF Joe is there too!

• Jan 14, 20119:36 pm
    by danny

Brian Hill drawing up plays while Keuster watches and Stuckey cuts his nails? This is a joke. Nice road win over a bad team though.

• Jan 14, 20119:38 pm
    by danny

And looking at those salaries…..someone name one player on our roster whos not overpaid? Its tragic how this team went from so good, to so bad, so fast. And because of the above overpaid bums, this franchise is years away from competing for anything.

• Jan 14, 20119:40 pm
    by gmehl1977

@Danny
    I think you are joke. You should never be ashamed of being a piston fan. The make up of a true fan is being there for your team when they WIN or LOSE and no matter how bad things get you stick with them no matter what. I am not saying you can’t bitch to your friends how bad the players, management or the coaching staff are doing but never be ashamed. Heck get on a blog and vent your frustrations like detpcb, Laser, nuetes, odeh and many others do but being ashamed is just weak.

• Jan 14, 201110:39 pm
    by Laser

thing is, we need a HELL of a big man. not that we know what the new CBA will look like, but $6.5 million isn’t enough to get the impact big man we need. and we need one AT ALL COSTS. shed maxiell in a heartbeat if you can. or stuckey, gordon, villanueva… any or all of the above. 6.5 just ain’t gonna’ do it. period.

i just don’t think t-mac is the answer. stuckey’s “fine,” but i’d dump him in a heartbeat if it improved our chances at landing an answer up front. i just can’t stand watching this team in limbo any longer (and i’m not talking about the ownership situation). four guards in the rotation is a start. from here, i think a big man is our top priority, then a point guard. and i don’t think t-mac is a good fit here.

• Jan 14, 201110:42 pm

@danny:

Luck or no luck, general managers get credit for making moves that lead to winning, and Dumars has a history of sustained success that only a couple GMs in the league can compare to. I think you’re using a bit of revisionist history though. No mock draft in 2003 had Darko going lower than 2, and that was before the draft lottery even happened. But there’s plenty of documentation out there for that, no need to re-hash. Dumars certainly isn’t immune from criticism. He’s made poor decisions as well as good ones. But hell, look at the current team. The McGrady signing? Great move. This Hamilton-for-Murphy trade if it goes through? Great trade. Drafting Jerebko? Great pick. Monroe? Great pick.

Also, this point:

“And looking at those salaries…..someone name one player on our roster whos not overpaid?”

I’ll do you a couple better:

Ben Wallace, Tracy McGrady, Jonas Jerebko (when healthy). Those guys are tremendous values. Yeah, Prince, Hamilton, Gordon are overpaid. Villanueva probably is, but not when you compare him to the highest paid stretch fours in the league (Rashard Lewis, Murphy, Bargnani, Jamison, for example, all make much more and only Bargnani from that group has been more productive than him).

Yeah, the team is in a bad situation right now. But one trade, one pick, one free agent signing and they’ll be right back competitive again next year. All of it is contingent on the Hamilton trade. If that goes through, the team’s immediate future and flexibility changes tremendously.

• Jan 15, 201110:26 am
    by danny

gmhel1977 – Im not giving up on this team, but how can you not be ashamed when they dont play hard? They literally dont even try to play defense. If they still played hard but flat out werent good enough, that would be fine. But these guys dont even try.

patrick hayes – How does Dumars have a history of sustained success? Hes by far made more bad decisions, than good. And I dont care what any mock drafts said, any fool could of seen Darko was a huge risk, and Carmelo was a safer pick. Darko wasnt even starting for his team over-seas.

I still love the Pistons, and will forever. And I understand that every GM is gonna make good decisions and bad ones, but Dumars has made poor choices year after year, and were in the worst situation weve been in, since before we got Grant Hill. Hes invested so much into Stuckey, which was another bad choice. And I dont see how bringing in McGrady was a good choice. He has zero upside, plays no defense, but occasional scores some points. How does that help a team that needs to re-build?

• Jan 15, 201110:31 am
    by danny

And how many Lions fans on here werent ashamed of the Lions in 2008? I love that team just as much as anybody, but the organization was a joke at that time. Ive never hid who my home-team was to anybody, despite getting laughed at when I mentioned the Lions. No matter how much you love your team, when you cant sit down and watch them play, it doesnt mean your not loyal, you simply expected more from them since you love them so much. What Gm in their right mind would give Villaneuva the contract he got? Joe D doesnt know what hes doing. I appreciate what hes done for the organization, but its apparent the arrows pointing down, and has been for a couple years.

• Jan 15, 201110:34 am
    by danny

Hamilton for Murphy trade would be good. But what good players are gonna want to come to Detroit? What good is it to have that cap space? Id still rather have it, but trading Hamilton a couple years ago would of been wiser.