Tayshaun Prince bristles at notion that his best days are behind him

Dan Feldman has pointed out his belief that Tayshaun Prince‘s frustrations are boiling over largely because he simply can’t handle being in a losing situation. And not just in a “he doesn’t like to lose” kind of way, more a “losing turns him into a malcontent” kind of way.

Prince said as much in a conversation with Fanhouse’s Sam Amick. But he also talked about something else that bothers him: people acting as if he’s past his prime at the (relatively) young age of 30:

“I’ve got a lot left, man,” he said. “I think where people go wrong at is when I got hurt last year and missed six weeks due to a back injury, all of a sudden it’s, ‘Tayshaun is breaking down.’ People say that to make the rumors and things like that, but I feel great. I’d never put a limit on how many years I can play, but I’ll just play until my body tells me it’s time to stop.”

As one of the people out there who might’ve been accused of writing of his decline prematurely, I do feel a bit differently now. Prince, although I’ve been no fan of the way he’s played this season, is still obviously very skilled and would help a contending team. He’s also looked healthy the entire second half last year and all season so far this year.

Prince also, interestingly, discusses free agency in the Fanhouse piece, specifically that he doesn’t intend to come back to the Pistons out of the goodness of his heart. He intends to play for the team that wants him and what he’s capable of producing most, kind of debunking one of the theories floating around out there, that the Pistons might try and bring him back at a cheaper rate.

Hat tip: Detroit Bad Boys

• [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Detroit Pistons and Patrick Hayes, PistonPowered Feed. PistonPowered Feed said: Tayshaun Prince bristles at notion that his best days are behind him: Dan Feldman has pointed out his belief tha… http://bit.ly/9RT4At [...]

• Nov 16, 20106:20 pm
    by Laser

i’ll tell ya this: tay’s been my favorite basketball player for a while now, and if there’s one knock i ever had on him, it’s that he doesn’t play with enough of an edge. well it sure looks like he’s got a chip on his shoulder now. good for him. i like that he’s been showing his teeth lately, even if it’s to kuester.

also, this state of displeasure he’s in can only be a good thing as far as pushing him in the direction of “anywhere but detroit,” so that trade should be going down by february, regardless of the ownership situation. joe’s just not doing his job if he lets tayshaun walk for nothing.

• Nov 16, 20106:24 pm

Well, if they made a trade that rid themselves of Hamilton/Maxiell for expiring deals, which is extremely unlikely, I’d be OK with letting Prince walk. But yeah, they absolutely have to get something for him otherwise.

• Nov 16, 20108:00 pm
    by detroitpcb

Tay would be a very valuable piece on several playoff contenders. But i have a hard time appreciating his whiney edge here in Detroit. Nor do i appreciate his attempts to dictate the starting lineup by voicing his displeasure with his body posture and his mouth. If he wants to play with vets ship him to Boston for Big Baby. Trying to push Daye out of the starting lineup for Max is a joke. Ben & Max? together? 6’7″ and 6″6″? You can make an argument for Cv to start though i also think that he is better coming off of the bench (there is no excuse for not starting Ben Gordon except that Rip would sulk worse than Tay currently is) and you can make an agrument for Max to play but only Tay can insist that Max start – i guess Tay gets more shots that way and doesn’t feel like he has to rebound, which he never does anymore anyway, so he is happy

• Nov 16, 20108:15 pm
    by vic

I would really hate to see Taye go… He’s really multitalented, a rare defensive presence, and he really does have a passion for winning, which is why he’s been erupting lately. Letting him go would really set us back. Imagine having Rip but not having Prince. AD would be starting SF, and SF has some of the most dangerous scorers in the league. It would make things even worse than they are now.
    First rule: do no harm.
    I’d rather trade Rip for a PF, and get more consistent time for BG, have AD back him up,

• Nov 16, 20109:35 pm
    by Laser

vic, get real. we can’t afford to keep tayshaun. with daye and jerebko, we’ll be fine at SF. that position is in good hands. we need to get a return on tayshaun.

unless, as hayes said, we’re able to shed some other major contracts and pick up a nice free agent.

• Nov 16, 201010:00 pm
    by nuetes

The only benefit to letting Tay expire is playing time for Daye at SF. And Jerebko to play PF. and whatever our lottery pick turns out to be. If by some chance the MLE exists we could go after a guy like Reggie Evans, of course with Bargnani as their center I’m sure Toronto is going to want to keep Evans around. When is Ed Davis supposed to be healthy anyway?

We pretty much have to trade Tay, unless like Patrick said we unload come contracts for expirings and go the cap space route. Those seem to be the two good options. Letting Tay walk is option 3, and resigning him (I doubt he wants to return) is option 4. Those are the two bad options. Then do you try to trade Tay for a front court presence, or just see if you can get a young player/pick and another expiring for him just to get something?

As for Tay he’s not having a good year right now, but I do believe he has plenty of years left. I don’t mind that he’s calling out this bum of a coach we have. Even if Phil Jackson was making the kinds of moves Kuester has he deserves to be called out. Curry like incompetence going on right now. Prince will recover he’s just off to a slow frustrating start imo.

• [...] Tayshaun Prince bristles at notion that his best days are behind him – PistonPowered [...]