Ken Berger of CBS Sports:

Ben Golliver pretty well summed it up in his piece about the colliding eras in Detroit: The Pistons are a mess. Though Rip Hamilton’s contract, with $21.5 guaranteed over the next two seasons heading into CBA uncertainty, will be exceedingly difficult to move. But Tayshaun Prince, with an $11.1 million expiring deal, already is generating interest among teams looking to get their payrolls in order. Sources say the Pistons are expected to make their interest known in participating in the Carmelo Anthony talks as a third team, with Prince satisfying part of what Denver is looking for as a wing player on an expiring deal.

To me, this says the Pistons might closer to being sold than indicated.

• Nov 12, 201010:32 am
    by herm

This deal lets us hold onto our expiring deal while getting DEN a small forward with options.  And we get a goodie.

• [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Patrick Hayes, PistonPowered Feed. PistonPowered Feed said: Pistons might become third team in Carmelo Anthony trade by dealing Tayshaun Prince: Ken Berger of CBS Sports: B… http://bit.ly/bmZy83 [...]

• Nov 12, 201011:13 am
    by Rodman4Life

Do it!  I think you could get more for Prince, but we could get junk, too.  This is early in the season, and it would allow Daye to move to the 3 and get us a reasonable rebounder.  He, like CV, hangs around outside on offense and has weak D, but he fits into our roster better and is expiring after this year.  It also gets Prince to a team with playoff hopes (even without Carmelo) and an old friend in Chauncey.
    As a fan, it sure gives me a little more optimism.

• Nov 12, 201012:09 pm
    by nuetes

Yeah i don’t see any problem with that trade above. It’s the simple route with no long-term fix, but it shifts the balance of our roster. also you could say that an expiring murphy has more value than an expiring prince assuming we make this trade quick like. the long-term downside to that trade is that it makes us a better team, but not good enough, and results in a less valuable draft pick. and there is no benefit to letting murphy expire at season’s end. it’s a quick fix for the season at hand and nothing more.

• Nov 12, 201012:14 pm
    by nuetes

if i’m denver i don’t know what’s holding me back from just saying favors/murphy for melo. favors is one of the best young big prospects in the nba. then figuring out how to turn murphy/k.martin/j.r.smith into a SF after that.

i’d take favors by himself over the entire knicks team.

• Nov 12, 201012:20 pm
    by nuetes

ok here’s my super absurd denver/nj/det three way. just for kicks.

• Nov 12, 201012:32 pm
    by Alan

Assuming Troy Murphy is in good health, I’m okay with this trade. Really, its Denver. I mean, I agree the package on the table is as good as it gets for the Nuggets (Favors, Kirilenko, two 1st round picks). Something tells me that more of a benefit to this season than the long-term health of the organization (unless Murphy re-signs at seasons-end for a good value). A longer-term benefit would be unloading Rip or Max’s contract for a big that is under contract for longer than this season, of course. @Nuetes, I’m not convinced the story is presented accurately to us as what’s taking shape in Melo won’t sign the contract unless its the New York Knicks and nobody else. This is just my opinion.

• Nov 12, 201012:33 pm
    by Alan

not sure what happened above. please disregard and read this post instead.

Assuming Troy Murphy is in good health, I’m okay with this trade.  Really, its more of a benefit to this season than the long-term health of the organization (unless Murphy re-signs at seasons-end for a good value).  A longer-term benefit would be unloading Rip or Max’s contract for a big that is under contract for longer than this season, of course.

@Nuetes,
    I’m not convinced the story is presented accurately to us as what’s taking shape in Denver.  I mean, I agree the package on the table is as good as it gets for the Nuggets (Favors, Kirilenko, two 1st round picks).  Something tells me that Melo won’t sign the contract unless its the New York Knicks and nobody else.  This is just my opinion.

• Nov 12, 20101:35 pm
    by vic

i don’t like this idea.
    Tayshaun’s defensive skill and recent offensive assertiveness is harder to be replaced than Rip’s jumpshooting. I think this will hurt the team long-run. I’d rather have Daye as a backup 2 than starting 3. Plus i’d rather havel Zach, a big rebounding banger who will work the paint… I don’t know much about Troy Murphy, but isn’t he another stretch 4 that shoots 3s?

• Nov 12, 20101:51 pm

“I don’t know much about Troy Murphy, but isn’t he another stretch 4 that shoots 3s?”

That is his game on offense primarily, but he’s one of the best rebounders rate-wise in the league. He can score in the post a little bit, but that’s not his strength.

The big question with him is health.

• Nov 12, 20104:18 pm
    by Alan

@Patrick,
    All-in-all, you think we’ll wind-up trading Prince?  Seems to me we could use his expiring contract for financial flexibility.  Plus, he’s a solid starter in the NBA, don’t we have to get something of value in return?

The odds of the latter coming through seem less than the odds of the former.  I know some people on this blog feel Dumars is worth firing if we don’t trade Prince but it only makes sense to trade if a deal comes along that improves the team.

• Nov 12, 20104:24 pm
    by Odeh

@Alan-I agree with you.  There is probably only 12-15 big men in the league that are worth trading Tayshaun Prince for and Troy Murphy isn’t one of them.

• Nov 12, 20104:25 pm
    by Laser

it always makes 100% sense to trade prince. if all you get is a second rounder, you’re still better off than letting him walk or extending him. it doesn’t take a genius.

• Nov 12, 20104:33 pm

@Odeh:

I’d do Murphy for Prince if Murphy proves to come back healthy. As someone else said, it’s not a long-term trade by any stretch, but Murphy fills an immediate need for rebounding (again, he’s a very good rebounder) and his contract also expires. He’s just as valuable (if not more, since he’s a four) at the deadline as Prince is.

• Nov 12, 20104:37 pm

@Alan:

I actually agree with Laser (shudder). They have to trade Prince. Unless they trade Hamilton, Gordon and Villanueva for expiring deals too, Prince won’t offer any financial flexibility. They are already slightly over the cap, players are due raises next year and the cap might go down, so it’s not like they could let Prince walk and then go out and sign another player for his $11 million a year.

He’s extremely valuable and the only player on the roster who could potentially bring back more value than he’s actually worse. If anyone takes Hamilton, the Pistons will be getting back a crappy asset most likely.

I love Prince, love his intelligence, and love what he’s brought to the team, but the Pistons have to take advantage of his expiring contract. They can’t re-sign him (I hope) and he can’t provide them with cap space.

• Nov 12, 20104:51 pm
    by nuetes

If we don’t trade somebody most likely the exact same team is returning next season. That’s incentive enough for me to trade anybody.

Mcgrady, Stuckey, Prince, Wilcox, Summers, and Jerebko are all free agents and we have 3 draft picks and no money for free agents with Stuckey’s cap hold. Sounds like a pretty good situation.

Let’s say we resign Stuckey and Jerebko only. and then draft 3 players. We have one roster spot left, but it won’t matter a ton because I’ll we could offer would be the minimum. Or let’s say we also resign Prince. That’s the team. Back again for another run.

• Nov 12, 20104:53 pm
    by nuetes

*i have no idea why i put I’ll instead of all. oh well.

• [...] • More Tayshaun Prince trade rumors. [...]

• Nov 12, 20104:59 pm

@nuetes:

They do have the MLE. Depending on what the extensions to Stuckey/Jerebko would be in your scenario, they might be able to use it without going into luxury tax, but it would be close.

• Nov 12, 20105:08 pm
    by nuetes

That assumes the CBA doesn’t get rid of the MLE or just completely screw up the whole cap deal so bad the Pistons can’t do anything.

• Nov 12, 20105:11 pm
    by Laser

joke all you want, hayes. you may not like me or my style, but i’m batting 1.000 on this season so far…

• Nov 12, 20106:24 pm
    by Odeh

I read that the Kings are shopping Jason Thompson.  I think they would take on RIP, although we might have to take back Garcia even though they have cap space just to lessen the financial hit on Sacramento, but they need wing players more than anyone in the league.  Then we can trade a package featuring Tay among others for either Josh Smith, or Zach Randolph.  I think a frontcourt of Jason Thompson and Smith/Randolph with Monroe, CV, and Big Ben off the bench is formidable.

Also, these deals are very doable.  The Sacramento exec let it slip in the offseason that he was interested in Rip and they have the cap to absorb his salary.  Smith is becoming unaffordable for Atlanta and more likely than not they will look for cap relief.

• Nov 12, 20106:28 pm
    by Odeh

P.S.

I have 2 Pistons/Lakers tix section 107B Row AAA…anyone know someone who would swap their 4 tickets for my 2?

• Nov 12, 20106:41 pm
    by Alan

@Patrick,
    A team is allowed to go over the cap to re-sign its own players.  What if a would-be suitor for Tayshaun didn’t have the cap space, does it still make sense to trade Prince? This would-be suitor may have an interest in a sign & trade and the haul could be greater than a 2nd rounder.

• Nov 12, 20107:03 pm
    by nuetes

@alan

who the heck is going to want to participate in a sign and trade for prince? do sign and trades ever even happen? they rarely if ever happen, and only for superstars because their team can sign them for an additional year that the trading team can’t. so the star demands a sign and trade more than the team.

• Nov 12, 20107:37 pm
    by Alan

@Nuetes
    Almost any contender will have an interest in Tay (BOS, SAS, ORL) to name a few.  And yes S&Ts happen for non-superstars.  David Lee.  The Knicks were willing to let him walk and got Turiaf, Randolph, & Azawhatever.  Not equal value but not bad for a guy you’re willing to let walk, which is what Laser suggests we must do if we don’t trade Prince anyhow.

• Nov 12, 20108:41 pm
    by Don Brake

I realize Rip’s contract is harder to move, but I would certainly, from a basketball standpoint, and what they mean to our Pistons, move Rip before I would Tayshaun! Bringing Carmelo and possible Zach Randolpf in another deal would instantly make us a much better team, and the playoff in the fairly weak East would not be out of the question.

• Nov 12, 201010:04 pm

@Don:

To clarify, the Pistons aren’t in the running to get Anthony himself. He’s made it pretty clear he will only sign long-term with the Knicks or Bulls and maybe New Jersey. What the Pistons want is to be a third team in that deal and expand it to include more players, possibly bringing in a good player from another team for Prince and maybe others.