This could be the farewell season for former Piston Antonio McDyess

I know he’s no longer technically a Piston, but Antonio McDyess is the one player from the last era of Detroit basketball who is almost universally revered by all fans (and trust me, consensus among Pistons fans is no easy task). It appears ‘Dyess is gearing up for one last run at a title. From the San Antonio Express-News:

“I didn’t know what to expect when they signed me (in 2009), and I’m glad to be back,” McDyess said, “but I think this is it. I’m the oldest player (on the Spurs) now, and I feel like it. I’m not trying to see any more years. I’m pretty sure this is it.

“My body just can’t take it. I’m not Juwan Howard. I can’t believe he’s still out there, even though he is in great shape.”

It’s hard to root for the Spurs since they have a championship that feels like it should be in Detroit, but I found myself pulling for them in last year’s playoffs solely because of McDyess and I’ll probably do the same this year barring a miracle turnaround by the Pistons.

• Oct 11, 20107:45 am
    by gmehl1977

The man is a class act in the way he carries himself. I loved how he stayed loyal to Joe Dumars for Joe taking a punt on him. After blowing out both knees and i think one a couple of time Joe through him a line and he grabbed it with both hands. When Joe traded him with and he came back he could easily of signed anywhere he wanted to but instead came back which speaks enormously of him. I felt Dyess should of probably signed with Boston and easily would of had a better chance of a ring. Life for some sports people is just not fair and there is always a fair share of players that never get to the top of the summit. Barkley, Malone, Stockton, Ewing, Wilkins and Reggie to name a few. Then you have some guys that just seem to be in the right place at the right time like Steve Kerr & Robert Horry.

• Oct 11, 20108:13 am

People also forget: before those knee operations, Dyess was on his way to becoming an all-time great PF. I remember watching him at Alabama in college, and he was a freak athletically.

• [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Patrick Hayes, PistonPowered Feed. PistonPowered Feed said: This could be the farewell season for former Piston Antonio McDyess: I know he’s no longer technically a Piston, b… http://bit.ly/9xJ3QH [...]

• Oct 11, 20109:15 am
    by gmehl1977

Pre-knee injuries I remember him having hops better than Shawn Kemp and with more power. The man was a great defender too.

• Oct 11, 20103:59 pm
    by Alan

Old school Dyess in Denver >>> Stoudemire at any point

• Oct 11, 20104:24 pm

@Alan:
    Exactly right. He was Amare, if Amare ever decided to rebound or play defense. Maybe a tad less athletic, but not much. And you’d gladly trade that tiny difference in athleticism for the rebounding, defense and character of Dyess.
    He had Hall of Fame talent for sure. He would’ve been up there with Duncan and Garnett in the discussions about best PF of this era had he not been injured.

• Oct 11, 20105:21 pm
    by nuetes

I agree Dice in his prime was way better than Amare. Dice was just really good. He was a complete player. He also never quit. That was his best quality.

Amare is a very good player though. His efficiency is through the roof. He shoots 55%. His true shooting is over 60%. He gets to the line 8-10 times a game and shoots over 80% from there. He can put the ball in the hoop and do it well. He’s probably the quickest big man i’ve ever seen, unfortunately he doesn’t use that quickness on the defensive end.

• Oct 11, 20105:23 pm
    by Alan

He was a special player back in the day.  I doubt Amare, in the event of a serious injury, is capable of re-inventing himself   Even after the injury, Dyess enjoyed quite a few near double-double years with Detroit.

I think he’ll go down as one of the best re-habbed players of all-time.  When you think about the great PFs that had two careers (before and after the injury), I belive Dyess comes out on top.  Here’s a shortlist of those players:  Chris Webber, Larry Johnson, Shawn Kemp

• Oct 11, 20107:05 pm

@Alan:
    To be fair, Amare did have an extremely serious injury. He didn’t exactly re-invent himself, but he did add a 16-foot jumper and a below-the-rim game that was very good in the year and a half or so it took him to get his explosiveness back after microfracture surgery.
    I love Amare and think he’s a phenomenal player, and one of the most unique guys in the league right now. I just use him as a comparison to highlight how good McDyess actually was.

• Oct 11, 20108:27 pm
    by Alan

@Patrick,
    Amare had a serious injury, the same one that McDyess had in fact, as you point out.  I don’t equate the two only because Amare made a full recovery thanks to medical advances that weren’t available for Webber & Dyess.

Amare is a fantastic offensive player, I don’t want to take anything away from that.  I don’t root for him the same way I root for Dyess.  We all got a little homerism…lol.

• Oct 13, 20106:29 pm
    by Laser

so long, dyess. sorry about 08-09.