Trade Idea: Maybe the Pistons could actually trade for Chris Paul after all (UPDATE: Offer gives Pistons victory in Chris Paul trade contest)

Update: My bid for the Pistons won Ryan Schwan of Hornets 247.com’s Chris Paul trade contest. See “Hornets’ perspective” below for more details.

Trade

Pistons receive:

• Chris Paul (18.7 points, 4.2 rebounds, 10.7 assists, 0.2 blocks, 2.1 steals)
  • Emeka Okafor (10.4 points, 9.0 rebounds, 0.7 assists, 1.5 blocks, 0.7 steals)

Hornets receive:

• Tayshaun Prince (13.5 points, 5.1 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 0.4 blocks, 0.7 steals)
  • Rodney Stuckey (16.6 points, 3.8 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 0.2 blocks, 1.4 steals)
  • Greg Monroe (16.1 points, 9.6 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 1.5 blocks, 1.2 steals)
  • Austin Daye (5.1 points, 2.5 rebounds, 0.5 assists, 0.4 blocks, 0.4 steals)
  • Chris Wilcox (4.5 points, 3.4 rebounds, 0.4 assists, 0.4 blocks, 0.4 steals)
  • 2012 first-round pick

Chris Wilcox $3,000,000 $0 $0 $0 $0
Total $21,517,646 $8,805,963 $6,175,766 $8,221,845 $5,479,934
  • Player option/ early termination
  • Team option
  • Qualifying offer

Pistons’ perspective

Yes, just a couple months ago, I penned a post titled, “Pistons have NO chance of trading for Chris Paul.” A lot has changed since then. Mainly, Chris Paul has indicated a desire to leave New Orleans, and Detroit drafted Greg Monroe.

I still think the Pistons landing Paul is an extreme long shot, but let’s look at what it would take.

First off, would New Orleans even trade Paul? Ken Berger of CBSSports.com has the scoop on Paul’s meeting with the Hornets yesterday:

The Hornets are concentrating on Eastern Conference teams as trade partners in the event they decide it isn’t feasible to enter the 2010-11 season with their franchise player wanting out. And despite Monday’s optimistic spin, that is where things are headed, sources say.

Although Berger doesn’t mention the Pistons among the teams the Hornets are eyeing – and Paul didn’t include them on his list – they are in the Eastern Conference. So, that’s a plus.

The first move for Joe Dumars would be calling someone close to Chris Paul – as close as possible, to avoid Paul’s people squashing the idea based on Detroit’s reputation (the city’s, not the team’s) – and see if he would be receptive to joining the Pistons. I think winning is the biggest force behind Paul’s demands (although it may not be the biggest reason those close to him are pushing a trade, too), and Dumars could sell him on the fact that he already put together one championship team.

If Paul wouldn’t be content with a trade to Detroit, that’s the end of it. If he would be, Dumars should call the Hornets.

I think this a competitive offer the Hornets would have to take seriously if they’re actually willing to deal Paul.

Tayshaun Prince is a very good player, and Rodney Stuckey is already solid and still has potential to grow. Plus, both have expiring contracts, which would give New Orleans a lot of flexibility.

Greg Monroe and Austin Daye are talented players with skills in drove, and with a combined seven years left on their rookie contracts, they’re extremely affordable.

Chris Wilcox is 27, but talented enough that many believe he could still find his niche in the league. (For the record, I don’t.) Mostly, he’s there to make the numbers work, but for filler, he’s not bad.

Those two first-round picks could be valuable if Paul doesn’t help the Pistons win any more than he helped New Orleans. Even if he does, two picks are two picks.

Besides acquiring a player with a non-guaranteed contract (like Erick Dampier), this trade would save the Hornets about as much money this year as possible in a trade giving up only Paul and Okafor. And given Okafor’s hefty contract, the savings in future years would be significant, too.

By trading Paul, the Hornets would almost certainly be rebuilding. I doubt anyone will trade someone near Paul’s talent level to get him (meaning nobody like LeBron James, Dwight Howard or Kevin Durant will be on the move). This trade would give New Orleans a lot of young talent, draft picks and cap flexibility to start over.

But trading for Paul is tricky. Not only do you have to give up enough to satisfy the Hornets, you must have enough left to build a competitive team before Paul becomes a free agent in two years. I think this trade would give the Pistons a real shot doing that.

Check out this lineup:

For everyone who says Hamilton needs to play next to a traditional point guard, he’d get one. He and Gordon would be the team’s main scorers, and Paul would certainly help there, too.

The front line would do the dirty work/rebounding/etc. Plus, Paul could get those three their share of easy baskets.

Perhaps best of all, it would be a good group defensively. With a pair of athletic shot blocker in Wallace and Okafor, Hamilton could even play a fair share of his minutes at small forward.

The Pistons would have a solid reserves unit with Gordon, Charlie Villanueva, Jason Maxiell, Will Bynum and the mid-level exception (Josh Howard?).

I think that’s the type of team that could make a run deep into the playoffs. That’s only a ‘could,’ though, and there are long-term questions.

What happens when Wallace retires? Maybe Jerebko could take over that role, but Wallace is a big reason I think that team could do damage. Those would be mighty big shoes to fill.

How big of a burden would Okafor’s contract be? He’s overpaid, no doubt. But he’s still productive and plays a critical position. Obviously, the salary cap has yet to be determined for future seasons (and it’s especially unpredictable given the Collective Bargaining Agreement is set to expire), but if the new CBA is similar to the current one, I think the Pistons could avoid paying the luxury tax – even with this trade.

How costly will giving up those draft picks be? I designed the offer with 2012 and 2014 picks because those are the years Paul and Okafor will likely be free agents. If there are any years the Pistons would rather have the extra cap room than the picks, it would be those. So, the risk is still there, but I think it’d be hedged a little bit.

And of course, the big question: What if Paul leaves in 2012? That’s the risk I think you take to get a player whom I think has a good shot at becoming the second-best point guard of all time.

Hornets’ perspective

Ryan Schwan of Hornets247.com solicited Chris Paul trade ideas from several TrueHoop Network members and ranked them in reverse order. Guess which offer he listed last – or to be clear, won the competition. Yup, this one.

OK, the Pistons were 1B of the two teams in the “Let’s talk Business” group. The Magic were 1A – on the condition the Hornets could flip Jameer Nelson and Vince Carter. I think that’s much easier said than done, so I’m declaring the Pistons the winner.

Schwan on this offer:

It’s freakish that I’m picking the Pistons offer as one of the best ones.  I didn’t think they’d have enough talent to swing it, honestly.  Still – Monroe fills the hole at center, Prince/Daye fill the hole at the 3, and Stuckey is the perfect combo guard behind Collison and Thornton.  Oh – and since what’s left in Detroit won’t be world-shaking, the picks they are offering should at least still be mid-rounders.

My response

It surprised me, too, that the Pistons could be in position to land Paul. Even if the trade isn’t made, it’s just further evidence Monroe was an excellent draft pick. Without him, Detroit wouldn’t be in the discussion.

I’m not stunned by Schwan’s lack of confidence in a post-trade Pistons team. They’d be far from a sure thing. But like I said above, I think the players would complement each other well

A Hornets partisan believes this offer deserves consideration. That’s a good sign. Dumars, get on the phone.

Verdict

Make no mistake: this trade wouldn’t put the Pistons out of the woods yet. Paul can become a free agent in two years, and whoever acquires him must spend that time convincing him to stay. There is no guarantee the Pistons can do that.

Because they don’t play in a destination city, the Pistons must show Paul they can win a title with him. And even then, it might not be enough.

This trades calls for the Pistons to give up a huge amount of young, affordable talent – plus draft picks and taking Emeka Okafor’s contract. If Paul leaves in two years or decides he doesn’t want to be in Detroit a year from now, the trade could set the Pistons back nearly a decade.

But I think Henry Abbott of TrueHoop said it best:

Here’s a rule of thumb I’ve developed to help you through it: If you’re getting Chris Paul, it’s a good deal.

• Jul 27, 20104:29 pm
    by bill

Dan you usually provide some thoughtful insight that I can generally find some point I agree with. I can’t say that with this post. Gutting almost all of the Pistons young core in one fell swoop. To do what? Essentially become an older version of the Hornets? I can’t see how you talked yourself into writing this long of an article on such a completely senseless idea. Whose going to catch all those CP3 lobs? Ben?
    As you said, CP3 would bolt in two years and we’d have no future talent and an aging overpaid center. I guess we’d have the two lottery picks we’d get because we’d still be terrible for those two years. I just don’t see the merit in this one even as a fantasy discussion.

• Jul 27, 20104:34 pm
    by Alan

I mean, If Paul is in the trade, I “guess” you gotta pull the trigger.  At the same time, its unwise to package Monroe, Daye, & 2 future first rounders (along with Rip & Tay) for any player that may bolt in 2 seasons.

• Jul 27, 20104:50 pm
    by JB

So uh, David West is better than Ben Wallace, and Marcus Thornton is better than Rip Hamilton. I guess Jerebko is an upgrade over Mo Peterson.

But this trade is basically just awful, and it isn’t even one of those “Man, wouldn’t it be cool if…” scenarios because both teams get worse and there’s a literally zero incentive for either team to try to pull this off.

• [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Steve Kays and Detroit Pistons Buzz, PistonPowered Feed. PistonPowered Feed said: Trade Idea: Maybe the Pistons could actually trade for Chris Paul after all: Trade Pistons receive: Chris Paul (1… http://bit.ly/bdqdKN [...]

• Jul 27, 20105:07 pm

If healthy, and all indications are that he is, Chris Paul is a top three or four NBA talent. He’s franchise-altering. And you guys are crying about giving up Austin Daye and Greg Monroe plus two first rounders? I just spent an entire offseason writing draft previews, and virtually every one was loaded with “doesn’t matter if the Pistons get this guy, what they need is a franchise player.” And now, here’s a hypothetical trade to get one and everyone is all, “oh know! You can’t gut the core of a 25 win team! What are you thinking!”
    Well Pistons fans, meet franchise player. Big secret: They are costly to obtain. If Paul were amenable to coming to Detroit, and this is what it took to get him, then yes, you do that trade 100 times out of 100.

• Jul 27, 20105:16 pm
    by Alan

Sorry, failed to mention Stuckey too.  It’s a lot to give up for a two-year window to make a player happy who, currently, appears to want to go to NY or Orlando only (IMO).

• Jul 27, 20106:45 pm
    by Pratik Narula

Yeah I would like to land Paul…but giving up Monroe, Daye, and Stuckey doesn’t seem logical, because if we don’t make it deep into the playoffs the nxt 2 years, he’s gonna want out. We should instead stick with Monroe and develop him along side Stuckey. But I don’t c y we have to go for Okafor.
    I dunno if this is possible but this is what I would do to get Chris Paul:
    Detroit gets: Paul
    NO gets: Richard Hamilton, Will Bynum (if he re-signs), Jason Maxiell, D. Summers.
    Then we would look like this:
    1. Paul 2. Stuckey 3. Tayshaun 4. Ben Wallace 5. Greg Monroe
    Bench: Gordon, Terrico White, Jonas, Daye, Max, Charlie V., we should use the mid-level to get a experienced big.
    This probably wouldn’t work in terms of salaries and what not, but this is what I believe would make Detroit better with this particular trade scenario.

• Jul 27, 20107:04 pm
    by Graham Simmington

Don’t forget, one of the caveats of this trade ever getting past the when-hell-freezes-over stage is that Chris Paul is receptive to joining the Pistons. If he is indeed willing to come to Detroit and we make the right moves, the likelihood of him skipping town when his contract is up diminishes greatly.

I’d do it.

• Jul 27, 20107:11 pm
    by Alan

There should be more fans focused on trading for a big man.
    Tay, Rip, & Wilcox
    for
    Gortat, V. Carter, Pietrus
    Orlando dumps Carter, keeps Gortat from a potential competitor, receives 2 players, and $14mm in cap relief going into the lockout.
    Detroit gets their big man, turns over the old corp, gets a veteran wing in Carter.

• Jul 27, 20107:28 pm

Pratik:
    Okafor is included because it is assumed New Orleans will make any team that acquires Paul take at least one of their bad contracts (Okafor or Posey) as well.
    I think your proposed deal is way too little for him. Any team that gets Paul will likely have to give up its two best young players, as well as expiring contracts. NO wouldn’t take back Hamilton or Gordon b/c they are signed longterm. Will Bynum can’t be re-signed and then traded in a multi-player deal. The only way the Pistons could get Paul (again, with the caveat that he’d be amenable to playing here) would be to give up their best, cheapest assets, and arguably their two best young prospects are Monroe and Daye.

• Jul 27, 20107:32 pm

Alan:
    I’d welcome a deal for Gortat, but I see some problems with your scenario. First, if Paul truly wants to play there, Gortat would have to be a key piece they sent to N.O.
    And secondly, they are a title contending team, and the trade you proposed makes them much worse. Is Vince Carter better than Rip right now? No. Is Prince better than Pietrus? Debatable, but Tay is not the perimeter shooter Pietrus is (or, I would argue, the defender at this point in their careers), and perimeter shooting is extremely valuable in Orlando’s system. And Wilcox is certainly much much worse than Gortat.
    From the Pistons perspective, that’s a great trade, but there’s really zero incentive for Orlando to do it. Their franchise is in good financial shape, good attendance, and was a couple games from winning the title a year ago. They are absolutely not in cost-save mode, they are in win-now mode. They could get much better talent in return if they chose to move any of those three.

• Jul 27, 20108:09 pm
    by nuetes

Yup this is pretty much the offer you’d have to make. Paul is young. If they could keep him in Detroit long-term this is a no-brainer. Heck even if not this might be a no-brainer. Did someone actually suggest that they’d rather just build around Stuckey and Monroe over getting Paul? I’d just like the chance to try to build around Paul. If he leaves he leaves and you start over. I’m not exactly sure the kind of ceiling a team with Stuckey and Monroe as centerpieces has, but I imagine its not very high. The Pistons aren’t ever going to be a contender until they get some elite talent. I guess you could just go year after year hoping one falls into your lap at some point, or you can go get one.

• Jul 27, 20108:15 pm
    by Alan

Patrick,
    I wonder how ORL and its fans feel about Vince.  As for Gortat, he hardly plays and I couldn’t care less about Pietrus.  If possible, we could do the whole “buyout and he returns in 30 days” thing.
    Curious, how do you think the proposal differ if we included Gordon instead of Hamilton?

• Jul 27, 201010:10 pm

Gordon might be more intriguing. He’s young and a great three-point shooter (other than last year).  The major downside would be that they’d be starting a tiny backcourt of Jameer Nelson and Gordon.
    And yeah, Gortat doesn’t play huge minutes, but he’s still their primary backup to Howard, and he also plays the four in bigger lineups. I would think the Magic would need a big in return if they were going to move him in any deal that’s not for Paul.

• Jul 27, 201011:30 pm
    by Dan Feldman

I can’t believe the first few commenters were so down on the trade. Not only is Chris Paul a superstar, he has a good chance to be an all-time great. Not only could he be an all-time great, he’s the type that makes his teammates much better.

And you don’t want to trade the core of a team that hasn’t accomplished anything for him? Really? I’m seriously stunned. I expected all the comments to say the Hornets would never go for the deal.

The Pistons have a decent young core, better than most people give them credit for. But it’s not good enough where you can just let that core gain experience and then expect it to lead a contender. It’s a start, but it’s not enough. Monroe/Stuckey/Daye aren’t the type of players you hang on to at all costs.

• Jul 27, 201011:33 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Pratik, that trade doesn’t work with the cap (Although I think including a signed-and-traded Will Bynum with other players is allowed. Does anyone know for certain?) And of course it would make Detroit better. But there’s absolutely no way the Hornets would go for it.

• Jul 27, 201011:35 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Graham raises a good point that my whole scenario is based on getting Paul’s approval first. But that hardly means he’d feel the same way in two years. He could just approve Detroit as a better alternative to New Orleans. But when he has his pick of any team, the Pistons might not stack up.

• Jul 27, 201011:37 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Nuetes, I’m with you. Superstars are tough to get. That’s why I usually like the plan of not building around a recognized star. But when one is available and you have a shot to get him, there’s certainly nothing wrong with going that route, too.

• Jul 28, 201012:48 am
    by gmehl1977

I would love to get Chris Paul but the part that concerns me is that if he was to leave in 2 years it would set the Pistons back a decade. Is he really worth all the drama that Cleveland went through. I suppose a great way to think about getting would be like have a 2 year rental on a Lamboghini. I don’t know if i could handle driving a Toyota in 2013…especially for 10 years after that!

• Jul 28, 20101:18 am
    by nuetes

gmehl1977 – my position is i wouldn’t really care if Paul left in 2 years. Just get the chance and if you can build something good he’ll stay. I’m not sure you can set back a team that isn’t going anywhere so I’m not too concerned about that. heck you could probably turn Paul around for a better package than what the above proposal offered. if there is an indication you won’t be able to resign him then trade him next year at the deadline. i guarantee the return would be better than stuckey, monroe, and daye and whoever else we have to offer, which pretty much makes the pistons offer somewhat weak. the pistons could get favors/t.williams/picks from jersey for Paul if they had to.  or better.

• Jul 28, 20103:46 am
    by Kaneda

I would definitely go for CP3, but I would try and keep either Stuckey or Monroe. Could this work out if you added a 3rd team in the trade so you can give up Rip instead of Stuckey or Monroe?

Would it work by including Orlando in the trade? Detroit sends Rip to the Magic and Carter to New Orleans.

So the trade I am proposing would look something like this.

CP3, Okafor to Detroit.
    Daye, Prince, Monroe and V. Carter to New Orleans (plus 2 first round picks from Pistons)
    Rip and either Wilcox/Maxiell or one 2nd round pick from Pistons to Orlando.

• Jul 28, 20103:57 am
    by Dan Feldman

Gmehl, what are the Pistons driving now? Is it that much better than a Toyota? And that Lamborghini is a lease to buy if you can figure out how to make the payments. I’d take the two years with the nice car. It’s not like the Pistons have a Cadillac right now.

• Jul 28, 20104:01 am
    by Dan Feldman

Nuetes, I don’t think it’s fair to say the Pistons aren’t going anywhere. They’re not set by any means, but they have some decent young talent in place along with a few good veterans.

Also, if logic plays a part, Paul’s value in a trade at the 2012 trade deadline should be less than it is now. Teams would only get him for a half-a-season guaranteed. So, the Pistons could salvage something if they think he’s going to leave. And maybe Dumars makes a wise trade that turns out better than this one. But I wouldn’t make this trade counting on that.

• Jul 28, 20104:09 am
    by Dan Feldman

Kaneda, something along those lines would probably work under the cap. But I see a few problems with it.

• Vince Carter is a better fit than Richard Hamilton in Orlando’s 3-point-heavy system.
    • The Hornets would probably rather have the younger and cheaper Stuckey than Carter.
    • The Magic want Paul, too. I’m not sure they’d be too excited to help another team get him.
    Getting Paul would be costly. You can’t dump overpaid players like Hamilton and Jason Maxiell to get him. You’d have to be willing to part with young, affordable talent.

• Jul 28, 20105:11 am
    by nuetes

Dan – To be honest I don’t think the Pistons current roster is going anywhere. Sure I’m high on Monroe. I’m also not that down on Stuckey or Daye. That being said I don’t think the Pistons have anyone on their current roster, or even a combination of players on their current roster that are going to take them anywhere beyond .500 without some serious help. In other words no amount of improvement by anyone on the roster is going to be enough. It’s going to take a very strategic impactive trade to get this team anywhere above decent. Believing that I’m completely fine with playing the waiting game as Dumars appears to be doing.
    As far as Paul’s value in 2011-12 I wouldn’t be too concerned. I think Paul alone might be more valuable than Paul with Okafor. Trading Paul by himself might be able to fetch a more prospect worthy haul. In a sense a team would be doing N.O. a favor by taking Okafor, but if you don’t ask for that same favor there is a chance the return could be more fruitful. A chance. There is also a chance Paul decides to extend, and that is the chance one should be willing to take.

• Jul 28, 201010:31 am
    by Donmaxingly

Biggest issue: Paul wouldn’t accept it.  The remaining Piston roster wouldn’t be better than what the Hornets will have over the next couple years.
    2nd issue:  While Stuckey/Daye/Monroe is a nice haul of young players, none have elite potential.  If you have people like Greg Oden or Anthony Randolph on the table, you take them over Monroe (who has the highest value of that bunch.  But considering the picks and possibly spinning Prince for  another asset it is an attractive haul., none of those guys have the potential to be superstars.
    If you can get Paul, you do it.  Bottom line…but this Pistons team would be a 5th seed at best and Paul will just depart as soon as you can.  Then you’re back to square one – rebuilding when the Gordon/Hamilton contracts expire.  The Pistons do it, but unlike many other franchises, there’d be no reason to throw a Paul Parade.

• Jul 28, 201012:47 pm
    by Bob Stowell

Holy crap… Gut the whole roster and give the Hornets a bunch of draft choices. Talk about killing you team for 7 years…Ouch.. I sure hope the Pistons do not do this…

• Jul 28, 20101:57 pm
    by Odeh

I love Chris Paul and think he is a top 2 point guard in the NBA (Deron Williams).  But this trade would still leave the Pistons with probably the worst offensive starting big men in the league and no low-post scoring threat.  And with the ownership in limbo, that is a lot of money that will be tied up, which I think would affect Joe’s decision.  I would rather give up less, say maybe Tay and Daye or Jerebko for Darren Collison and Okafor.  Tay and Peja’s expiring contract’s would give New Orleans a nice starting point to pursue Carmelo next summer.  When starting, Darren Collison was a 20-10 guy, similar to Paul, and we would still have a young offensive big man in Greg Monroe to pair with a defensive-minded Okafor.  I would then trade Rip for a pick to a team with cap space.  I believe this is a well balanced team in that it has a pass-first pg, 3-point shooting (Collison, BG, CV), Low-Post Scoring (Greg Monroe, CV?), Drivers (Stuckey, Bynum, Gordon), Defense (Okafor, Big Ben)
    PG-Collison/Bynum
    SG-Stuckey/Gordon
    SF-Josh Howard?/ whoever is left between 2009 rookies
    PF-Greg Monroe/CV
    C-Okafor/Big Ben

• Jul 28, 20103:04 pm
    by Sam

I like it a lot, but my only problem is the Greg Monroe part. Yes,  I love how we could finally have a Center on our team, but the two million that we have with Monroe, we could replace that with the two million with Ben Wallace. Yes, he’s not as good as Monroe, but it’s still good for Detroit. I agree with @Odeh because he and I know what we are talking about.

• Jul 28, 20103:15 pm
    by Eric

Replace Monroe and Daye with Summers and Jerebko, and then I would do it.   Hornets would still get cheap talent with Summers and Jerebko, Jerebko started a lot of games last year, but his upside is limited compared to Monroe and Daye.

PG Paul/Bynum SG Gordon/Hamilton SF Daye/Villanueva PF Monroe/Maxiell C Okafor/Wallace

That would be a great mix of drivers, three point shooters, post scorers, blocking ability, and rebounding.  This would be the best team in the Central in my opinion.

• Jul 28, 20104:15 pm
    by djun

I think a trade for Monta Ellis or Gilbert Arenas would be more likely.  I think this is just to much for Paul.

• Jul 28, 20104:30 pm
    by Marcus

Are you smoking crack or just plain retarted?  Why in the world would the Pistons give up so much youth and future youth (Draft picks). Yes Paul and Okafor will make the Pistons instant contenders, but we dont have what they want to pry them away. I would propose this trade; Hamilton, Prince, Maxiell, and Daye for Paul and Okafor, but they wouldnt take it either. If Joe D gives up that much youth the last two seasons, and this off season would be thrown away.

• Jul 28, 20106:13 pm
    by Odeh

@djun…I hope you are being sarcastic.  Let me analyze this one for you.
    Gilbert Arenas:
    Pro’s
    Was once a great player
    Cons
    One of the worst contracts in the league
    Horrible efficiency-40% from the field
    Injury Prone-hasn’t played a full season in about 4 years
    Doesn’t play defense
    Monta Ellis:
    has 4 years remaining on his contract at more than 11 mill a year at a position that we already have Ben Gordon and Rip sketched in.
    Thank God Joe is running the Pistons and not you.

• Jul 29, 20104:18 am
    by Tom Y.

Horrible trade idea, I can understand why NO would like it, but thankfully I’m pretty sure the pistons wouldn’t do it.
    The point is to build a better team, not to “get Chris Paul”. Even the NO blogger said we’d be a mediocre team after that – and just how would we improve further without draft picks and our most promising young players?
    I’m not saying all we need right now is growth from our young players or something, but we should make a good trade, not just trade so we can have a big name on our roster (and I do love CP, I just don’t think he’d get us anywhere on his own, and would probably leave).

• Jul 29, 201011:05 am

I think a lot of people on here are under-valuing Chris Paul. A healthy Paul, surrounded with mediocre talent, is a guaranteed playoff team.
    Look at his NO roster that almost beat the Spurs in the second round three years ago. You could make an argument that if this trade were made, a team of Paul surrounded by Gordon, Okafor, Maxiell, Wallace, Jerebko, Bynum plus a mid-level signing is better than that Hornets team. And factor in that the Eastern Conference is still the weaker conference, and the Pistons would be at worst in the 4-6 seed range.
    Yes, it’s unlikely. But if that’s what it took to get Paul, and he’d be at least mildly agreeable t playing here, then do it.
    And Marcus, if you think Rip, Prince, Maxiell and Daye is remotely close enough to what it will take to get Paul, you don’t know the NBA. He’s a top three or four talent signed for two more seasons and still very young. It’s going to take a haul of young players, picks and expiring contracts to get him. You are willing to part with one marginal young player, one expiring contract and two really undesirable contracts (Rip/Max) and no picks? You wouldn’t even be in the discussion if you proposed that trade.
    Yes, it’s a lot to give up. But it also makes the Pistons — remember, they’re not a good team right now — into a competitive one with potential to get better. Other players would want to come here to play with Paul, the same way they want to go play with other superstars.
    Fans over-value their team’s young talent all the time. The Pistons could be in the lottery for the next 10 years and it’s unlikely they’d come up with a franchise-altering talent like CP.

• Aug 2, 20104:19 am
    by Dan Feldman

Nuetes, that’s an excellent point about trading Paul without Okafor. That could be enough to make up for Paul not having as much time left on his contract.

• Aug 2, 20104:22 am
    by Dan Feldman

Don, I’d rather have Oden or Randolph than any of Stuckey, Monroe or Daye, too. But the latter three have solid chances of becoming very good players. I don’t think it’s cut and dry you take one player more likely to be a star over three with a chance to be very good.

• Aug 2, 20104:25 am
    by Dan Feldman

Odeh, there are other ways to score inside besides dumping the ball into a back-to-the-basket player. The most common of those other ways: have an excellent point guard who can get frontcourt players easy baskets. Not only can Chris Paul fill that role, he’s the best in the league at it. That’s why I think the Pistons could get away with frontcourt players who can’t create for themselves.

• Aug 2, 20104:27 am
    by Dan Feldman

Sam, the Pistons won’t trade Ben Wallace. He signed to play in Detroit, and trading him would tarnish Joe Dumars’ image for future free agents. Plus, I don’t think Wallace is too old for the Hornets to accept in this deal instead of Monroe.

• Aug 2, 20104:28 am
    by Dan Feldman

Eric, the trade would no longer work cap-wise. And even if it did, the Hornets would turn it down. Monroe is the centerpiece of the trade.

• Aug 2, 20104:30 am
    by Dan Feldman

Marcus, are you saying the Pistons shouldn’t make the deal or the Hornets wouldn’t or both? Since when is a trade that makes a 27-55 team an instant contender (your words) a bad thing?

• Aug 2, 20104:34 am
    by Dan Feldman

Well said, Patrick. (Although I’m not sure the East is still the lesser conference.) Chris Paul is a superstar — a superstar who makes his teammates much better. The Pistons have a bunch of talented, but perhaps slightly overpaid, players who’d still be on the team after this trade. Paul would have a great chance of getting them on track.