Chad Ford: Pistons-Kings trade is in Detroit’s hands

In his latest mock draft (which has the Pistons taking Al-Farouq Aminu), Chad Ford discussed the Pistons-Kings trade idea I brought up yesterday:

The Kings are also exploring trading picks, with one team (Detroit) squarely on the radar. If the Pistons would give up the No. 7 pick and Tayshaun Prince for the No. 5 pick and Andres Nocioni, I think they’d have a deal. But so far the Pistons have been adamant that they’re holding on to Prince, and I don’t think the Kings would do a Rip Hamilton-for-Nocioni swap.

• Jun 16, 20106:57 pm
    by Garett Stutesman

the Rip-Noc swap sounds incredibly smart. Nocioni is done with the kings hes made that perfectly clear. Rip is cone being put on the back burner when he is the shining star of the pistons squad. if the kings can get rip they fill a needed position. I say let tyreke run point, rip fill in at the two where he can shoot or attack, and not to mention the idea that Hedo wants to be a king again and as history has shown so do the fans, along with carl landry and a big name to be picked up during free agency. Yum tastes like playoffs.

• Jun 16, 20109:00 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Garrett, using Hamilton instead of Prince would be great for the Pistons. But I doubt the Kings would go for that. One plus for them with this trade is cutting salary. Maybe they would take Hamilton if Detroit took Francisco Garcia instead of Nocioni (Garcia’s contract is one season longer than Nocioni’s).

• Jun 16, 20107:22 pm
    by James

Why will we not trade Prince?  If it’s because Joe D’s trying to pull the deal with Hamilton instead, just to see if the Kings will bite, then that makes sense to me.  However, if Sacramento is on the clock and Cousins is there, yet Joe D doesn’t make this trade with Prince included (if it’s truly available) then I think he’s really messing up.

We have to use Tay in a trade some time this year.  He’s a good player, on an expiring contract, who could help many teams, plus we drafted 3 SF’s last year and play a decent amount of 3 guard line-ups.  I’ve defended Joe D a lot lately, but not getting anything for Prince this year would be a huge mistake.

The thing that worries me is when Joe D referenced how the Celtics held on to their old players and it worked out for them.  Well, the Celtics were still a 50 win team even when they struggled this year…we were one of the worst teams in basketball.  There is no similarity between the two situations.

• Jun 16, 20109:10 pm
      by Dan Feldman

James, I’m with you on basically everything you said. I’m hoping Dumars is just holding out for more. But to play devil’s advocate on a couple points:

Austin Daye might be best at shooting guard, and Jonas Jerebko’s ideal position might be power forward. DaJuan Summers hasn’t shown much. Prince might still be needed.

Injuries really killed any chance of the Pistons having success this year. I don’t think they would’ve been that good, but maybe they are just a Rajon Rondo-level player away from being the Celtics.

• Jun 17, 20101:35 pm
        by Chris

Or maybe Dumars is playing coy and waiting to see how the draft lines up.  Players have been picked and dealt minutes later.  There’s still a chance that Dumars pulls the trigger right before the Kings pick or right after.

Prince can still play a viable role on this team.  It does us no good whatsoever to rush into this deal before draft night if somebody throws a curve and picks Cousins at 3 or 4.

Never underestimate teams blowing smoke on who they like/don’t like.

• Jun 18, 20109:34 pm
          by Dan Feldman

Chris, your point about players being picked then traded minutes later interests me. I always wonder when a team picks a player to trade him or picks him then decides to trade him. Two recent Pistons examples: Chase Budinger and D.J. White.

Also, if the Pistons are blowing smoke about who they like for No. 7, I haven’t seen it. Unlike last year when Austin Daye’s name was mentioned often in reference to Detroit, I haven’t seen any indicators about who the Pistons like if they keep the pick.

• [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Detroit Pistons Buzz, PistonPowered Feed. PistonPowered Feed said: Chad Ford: Pistons-Kings trade is in Detroit’s hands: In his latest mock draft (which has the Pistons taking Al-Fa… http://bit.ly/9POiU0 [...]

• Jun 16, 201010:24 pm
    by Mike

One aspect of a Cousins draft while keeping Prince on the team that I have not seen discussed is the Kentucky connection. Now I realize that for many players college experience becomes insignificant in the long run in the face of multi-million dollar contracts, but Cousins is young and, seemingly, unfocused.  Having a well-loved, respected, and loyal UK alumni on the team to which he is drafted may have a positive influence.  I hope Joe does figure out a way to keep Prince and recruit Cousins because Cousins appears to need every positive influence he can get.

• Jun 16, 201011:29 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Mike, I’m not sure if that holds. Prince played for Tubby Smith’s Kentucky, and Cousins played for John Calipari’s. The connection might not be strong enough.

I think you’re onto something, though — just with the wrong player.

Cousins and Ben Wallace are both from Alabama, and I think Cousins looking up to Wallace would be a more likely and beneficial relationship. Wallace’s NBA career (undrafted/cut/stuck on the bench to star) demands respect. Plus, Cousins could learn a lot from Wallace’s conditioning regimen.

• Jun 17, 201012:18 pm
        by Mike

Without a doubt, Cousins and Prince are from different UK eras–some might say entirely different UK cultures–but the UK identity is pretty strong.   With some people–Antoine Walker, Ron Mercer–that identity fades pretty quickly, but others–Mashburn, Prince– seemingly hold on to being a Cat for years.  I’m guessing Cousins will have about as much pride as Walker in a couple of years, but for his rookie season having a fellow UK alum on the team may be a good thing.   The Alabama muscle, however, will definitely have a greater impact and I look f9rward to seeing how a brash young guy like Cousins reacts when he is up against The Body.

• Jun 18, 20109:18 pm
          by Dan Feldman

Mike, I’m not saying Cousins doesn’t have Kentucky pride. Frankly, I have no idea. But even they spent twice as many years in Lexington as Cousins.

I’ll just say this: If you’re the Pistons — or any other team with a former Wildcat — and you’re relying only on a Kentucky connection to keep Cousins in line, I think you’re looking for trouble.

It might be a help, but I don’t think the connection will stand on its own. (But I don’t think any team is banking on just that.)

• Jun 16, 201010:27 pm
    by josh

Do the math: The upgrade at C/PF that a player like Cousins offers over the next 5 years is greater than the drop in quality from Prince to Jerebko at SF over the next 5. A productive big man is just way harder to get a hold of than a small forward.

• Jun 16, 201011:31 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Josh, I completely agree about the math. But you’re discounting that if the Pistons don’t make this trade, they’ll still probably get a big man at No. 7. In my eyes, the trade is worth it. I’m high on Cousins and don’t really like anyone I think will be available at No. 7. But if the Pistons are in love with someone they can get at No. 7, the math might say not to make the trade.

• Jun 17, 201012:57 pm
    by Mark

Im from Detroit….. look at Prince’s stats and tell me has he improved since 2004…….. please joe let him go.

• Jun 18, 20109:22 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Mark, I don’t think it’s fair to Prince to say he hasn’t improved at all. Since 2004, he’s become a better 3-point shooter, defensive rebounder and passer. He also turns the ball over less.

Yes, the biggest change in his game is his defense has fallen off. Feel free to criticize him for that.

But give Prince his due. It hasn’t been all down hill since 2004.

• Jun 22, 20106:53 pm
    by Mark

He was already a good three point shooter at Kentucky….. This is the guy we kept instead of drafting Carmelo…..

• Jun 22, 201010:32 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Mark, Prince only made 34 percent of his 3-pointers his final season at Kentucky.

And I never really bought the talk the Pistons passed on Anthony because of Prince. I think it was all about how much they — and other teams — liked Darko. Having Prince just added justification for a decision they would’ve made regardless.

• Jun 23, 20101:12 pm
    by Mark

I feel your point Dan…… I actually do like Tayshaun, since the days of Kentucky…… Just been a little disappointed the last couple years……  If he stays I just hope he’s healthy…..

• Jun 23, 20101:12 pm
    by Mark

• Jun 23, 20107:15 pm
      by Dan Feldman

Believe me, I’ve been disappointed, too. I just don’t think it’s fair to bash him completely. A lot? Sure. But not totally.