My second favorite team: San Antonio Spurs

As part of a TrueHoop Network project, several of us are explaining our second favorite NBA team.

I love defense.

Remember that Pistons-Pacers series in 2004? The high game score was an 85. Everyone said it was terrible basketball.

But I could watch games like that 82 times a season. Every possession was a war.

Back then, I thought the Pistons were a budding dynasty. They won the title that year. It seemed they could win something like two of the next four.

They were led by an underrated superstar who quietly dominated. They had a great coach who knew exactly how to push his players’ buttons. And they had a GM who continually kept the team a contender.

But instead of Ben Wallace, Larry Brown and Joe Dumars, Tim Duncan, Gregg Popovich and R.C. Buford led a team to three championships in five years.

The Spurs have been everything I thought the Pistons could be. They play tough D. They rebound. They play hard. The play smart. They have great fundamentals.

I don’t need flash. Winning is key. And the Spurs system wins. It’s ridiculous how long their championship window has been open.

Then it’s time for the Pistons to become the envy of other teams’ fans.

I really want to hear back from you in the comments. I thought this was a pretty interesting question. Is there a consensus second favorite team among Pistons fans? Which team’s fans do you think like the Pistons most (and none isn’t an option)?

• Aug 21, 20097:01 am
    by Mark Wu

I don’t see why everyone hated the Spurs Pistons Finals series, That was I think the last finals I really cared about. It was beautiful, two teams going back and forth, no one willing to back down. I followed that finals series religiously, I’m always shaking my head when people say that was a boring series

• Aug 21, 200910:32 am
    by Graham Simmington

Note: The content and opinions expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of the entire staff of PistonPowered.

I’ll have to give it some thought as to who my second favorite NBA team is, but I can say that San Antonio would be close to the top of my list of least favorite teams. Manu Ginobli is the second-biggest “flopper” in the league behind Anderson Varejao, Bruce Bowen was a consistently dirty player, and Gregg Popovich strikes me as a bit of a jerk. Like Dan though, I really think Antonio McDyess deserves a championship ring, so I’ve resigned myself to holding my nose for the 2009-10 season while I root for them. If I have to. I guess.

• Aug 21, 20091:23 pm
    by Ben

Couldn’t agree more. I wanted us to win specifically for Dice and now he’s moved on. Spurs play great great basketball. Plus they drafted my former classmate Jack McClinton. They’re easily become my 2nd favorite team.

• Aug 21, 200911:53 pm
    by Jimo

When Billups got traded, Denver became my second team. I was hoping Billups will stay to win a ring for Dice. I salute you Billups and Dice.

• Aug 24, 20091:07 am
    by toasterhands

Before Billups was traded to Denver, the Suns teams of Nash, Marion and Amar’e were my second favorite.  Now I root for Denver, and not just because Billups.  Nene and Andersen, not to mention J.R. Smith, play an exciting style of basketball.  I don’t even like Melo.

• Aug 24, 20091:46 am
    by Chad

Yes. I absolutely agree. Especially with the end, I will root hard for the Spurs next year, just like I rooted on the Nuggets last year (except against the Pistons, of course). I love McDyess. That man deserves a ring.

• Aug 25, 20091:49 am
    by The Rake

Outside of the analysis, I hate this question.  I don’t believe in having second favorite teams in sports.  I was raised to follow a team and put all my effort into it.  The higs and the lows, thats what makes sports so fun. Opening it up to other teams just never felt right.  I dont agree that it was just the Darko pick, Sheed has always been a cancer.  He made the diff in 04, but blew an obvious cover in 05 and cost us a title.  He subsequent meltdowns in following years proved costly.  I blame him and if I think about it, it will sting.  I follow players, sure, Billups was always my favorite Piston, but while I wish him success, I bleed the royal and red, maize and blue, the lightning bolt (Chargers), Tiger Woods, the Red Wings, and the Detroit Tigers.  No other teams, individuals matter…
    The Rake

• [...] Dan Feldman’s second favorite team is San Antonio, “When I watch the Spurs, I see what the Pistons could have been. And Detroit was just the Darko pick away from being San Antonio. I rarely feel strongly about a team other than the Pistons. I didn’t really root for the Spurs as much as I recognized they were everything I wished the Pistons were. But now I want them to be the rich man’s Detroit, so they can get Antonio McDyess the ring he deserves.”  (emphasis mine) Piston Powered [...]

• Aug 25, 20098:48 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Graham,

How is Bowen any different than the Bad Boys? The only difference is he’s not a Piston.

Yes, Ginobili flops a lot. But so does most of the league. I don’t like it, but he doesn’t do it enough more than average player to really get me frustrated.

• Aug 26, 20094:53 pm
    by Graham Simmington

Ginobili is far from the only player in the league to flop. Frequently. But he and Varejao (which I previously mentioned) stick out pretty far to me as some of the worst offenders around. I’m sure that’s no coincidence to the fact that each of them play for teams the Pistons have faced somewhat recently during high-stakes playoff series.

I actually wasn’t around during the reign of the Bad Boys, but yes, Bruce Bowen did play a similar breed of basketball. I’m sure he was just one of those players who you love if he plays for you, and hate if he doesn’t. I’ll freely admit that. But he didn’t play for us. I’m sure you can follow my logic. (Besides, the magic number is three. Three examples to make your point. Everyone knows that.)

• Aug 28, 200912:57 pm
    by Travis

Yes, I don’t understand why people say the style of the Pistons and Spurs is boring.  If I remember correctly The 2005 finials was one of the highest rated finials.  Each game seemed to come down to the few minutes  and it went to 7 games. It was just a awesome series, and all though it didn’t end up well for the Pistons, they still showed heart and determination.  I like how you said every possession was a war.  I agree with that, I mean i was on the edge of my seat every second.  Except the last quarter of game 7, i was more slouched in my seat when everything started to fall apart.

• Aug 28, 20091:02 pm
    by Travis

And to add another point. Maybe its people who don’t understand basketball or are not a “true fan” or just someone who only occasionally watches basketball think that Piston and Spurs defense first is boring.   Maybe they just don’t understand that every little thing in the game matters to the end result and not just a flashy dunk or jacking up three after three wins games.

• Trackback

Oct 24, 200912:45 pm
    by uberVU - social comments

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by PPFeed: My second favorite team: San Antonio Spurs: As part of a TrueHoop Network project, several of us are explaining .. http://bit.ly/1eyvcX