Wojnarowski: Pistons close to signing Chris Wilcox

The Pistons are close to a two-year deal with Chris Wilcox, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.

Update: The deal is worth $6 million, according to Chad Ford of ESPN. Here’s an estimated salary chart.

Player 2009/10 2010/11 2011/12 2012/13 2013/14
Richard Hamilton $11,625,000 $12,650,000 $12,650,000 $12,650,000 $0
Tayshaun Prince $10,324,380 $11,148,760 $0 $0 $0
Ben Gordon $9,000,000 $9,720,000 $10,440,000 $11,160,000 $11,880,000
Charlie Villanueva $6,000,000 $6,500,000 $7,000,000 $7,500,000 $8,000,000
Jason Maxiell $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $0
Kwame Brown $4,100,000 $0 $0 $0 $0
Chris Wilcox $3,000,000 $3,000,000
Rodney Stuckey $1,805,040 $2,767,126 $3,868,442 $0 $0
Fabricio Oberto $1,800,000 $0 $0 $0 $0
Austin Daye $1,398,200 $1,503,100 $1,875,500 $2,875,142 $4,019,448
Will Bynum $825,497 $0 $0 $0 $0
TOTALS: $54,878,117 $52,288,986 $40,833,942 $39,185,142 $23,899,448

Team Option, Qualify Offer, Player Option

I have no idea how Wilcox’s contract is structured, but most player receive annual raises. If that’s the case, I’ll update the chart.

If it’s $3 million each year, Detroit has $2,363,295 in cap room (including a $457,588 roster charge for not having 12 players).

If Wilcox will make more money in 2010-11, the Pistons have up to an extra $89,000 in cap room this year – hardly enough to make a difference.

I’m moderately enthused about the signing. Who else was Detroit going to get? Rasho Nesterovic?

Wilcox (6-foot-10, 221 pounds) spent more time at center than power forward with the Thunder and Knicks last season. But he was more productive at power forward. The Pistons will obviously have to use extensively him at center unless they make another move.

Wilcox is just 26 (although he’ll be 27 before the season starts). He still has plenty of time to improve.

I don’t expect him to be an All-Star, but his physical talent made him the eighth pick in the 2002 draft. With a little more polish, he could be a reliable starter.

Hopefully, his second year isn’t guaranteed. The Pistons would be slightly under the cap in the summer of 2010. And if they trade Richard Hamilton or Tayshaun Prince for an expiring contract, they’d have room to go after somebody.

I know the free-agent class won’t be what many expected, but several top players will still be out there.

This reminds me of the Kwame Brown signing. He’s solid. But is a guaranteed second year really necessary? That decision with Brown was probably the difference between Charlie Villanueva and Paul Millsap or David Lee.

Did Detroit make the same concession again?

• Jul 18, 20099:20 pm

I really like Wilcox … he’s a freakish athlete and I think he’ll be more productive than Kwame. Wilcox can really run the floor when he wants to, which should be fun with Stuck/Gordon/Charlie V in the lineup with him.

• Jul 19, 20096:08 am
    by Jay

I think that Wilcox is much better than Kwame, but I don’t know if it will answer the center issue. He plays best at power forward.

• Jul 19, 200911:16 am
    by Tony

Now lets go get BIG BEN! He will rejuvinate our whole team and fans again!!!!

• Jul 19, 20091:42 pm
    by Ro Grady

We NEED a TRUE CENTER to COMPETE in the Eastern conference….Orlando, Boston and Cleveland are at the top of the pack and we need to satisfy the center issue in order to get back in the mix! Lets go Pistons! Lets make some moves Joe D!!!!!

• Jul 19, 20096:29 pm
    by Gabe

Good post, agreed that it seems like we get too generous with the length of contracts when we sign free agents.
    Also, just wanted to give you a heads up that I think your numbers on Gordon’s contract are a bit off, apparently his contract is a little richer than what has generally been reported:

• Jul 19, 20098:47 pm
    by Dan Feldman

I think Joe Dumars realizes the Pistons aren’t ready to compete with Cleveland, Orland and Boston.

By the time Detroit is a contender, Shaq will be done. Boston will be too old. And Dwight Howard will still be a force.

So, the Pistons will eventually need a better center. But it’s not urgent.

• Jul 19, 200910:20 pm
    by Lankownia

For a team in pseudo-rebuild mode, adding a young talented player is never a bad idea.  There is an outside change he gets coached into become a competant rebounder and defender.  At 3M on a non-contending team that is OK.  It’d be nice if he had a veteran rolemodel to learn from, but I’m sure Kwame Brown will do fine.  Oops I let sarcasm over Dumars’ moves slip into a move that I actually support.

• Jul 20, 200912:01 am
    by Ro Grady

I dunno Dan, I think with the talent we have now we can compete this season if we make a move and get a solid center…but which center  do we go after is really the question we need to review…not so much the possible scenerio’s  the future may hold for other teams. Its better to worry about your own team than hope that other teams age and fall apart. Taking care of our front line is key for now. Maybe Big Ben can come back and hold down the middle as he once did. Only one way to find out I guess. He doesnt have many options right now….maybe we can pick him up for cheap and still have some room and cash to get some else to add. Anyone agree?

• Jul 22, 20095:10 am
      by Bobby SHringi

I agree, with a center we can compete this year. We have depth, something the Cavs and Celtics lack. Rip is a proven leader and with Stuck and Ben G we can have a dangerous 3 guard rotation. Prince is a defensive force and Charlie V is ready to break out. Wilcox can be the new image of the Bad Boys, but I would still like to see us get a decent shot at Boozer instead. Carlos can bring some offense…Daye, Maxiell, Summers, Brown and Oberto certainly give us a decent bench. We are the 4th best team in the East right now on talent alone…In 2011, Shaq will be gone and the Celtics would deplete, while we just get better.

• Jul 21, 20097:11 am
    by Money Man

Ro Grady, How much money do u think we have exactly?? to pick up washed up ben wallace and then another? we would be paying them less than a mill. Trade is our only option to get someone decent

• Jul 21, 200912:20 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Money Man,

You can go over the cap to sign minimum-salaried players. So, Detroit can sign as many as they have roster spots open.

• Jul 23, 20091:35 am
    by The Rake

By the way, great post.  Have been to numerous other Piston sites and not sure I have ever been here, but clearly the writing is better than Nat’s site and I appreciate the responses to queries made.  Though I can’t say that I agree that Brown is solid.  Really?  Solid at what?  They say defending the post, but I never saw any remote consistency there. Your point of seeing potential in CW at #8, well, Brown was #1 overall.  We now have a boatload of former high picks, but can they play together and produce.  Let’s make something happen!!

• Jul 23, 20093:53 am
    by Dan Feldman

The Rake,

Thanks.

Brown is a pretty good defender and rebounder. He can score a little bit inside, too.

Being a high draft pick is a good indicator of talent. Wilcox hasn’t put it all together yet. And at this point, he probably never will.

But I’d rather have someone with that possibility on my team than someone who doesn’t have the talent.

• Dec 6, 20091:55 am
    by The Rake

If we revisit this now and look, it appears that Brown and Wilcox are both garbage, talent or not.  Heart trumps talent almost every time.  Just ask Ben Wallace.
    The Rake