Trade ideas: Thinking big

Hamilton for Thabeet (or Hill, DeRozan or Harden)

Royce Young of Daily Thunder ponders what it would take to get Richard Hamilton. He comes up with expiring contracts and Oklahoma City’s first-round draft pick:

But again, Hamilton’s not a free agent. You’ve got to give up something to get him. Detroit wants to clean house, but they don’t want dirt in return. They’re going to want something worth their while. So let me pose the scenario:

OKC gets the No. 4 pick in the draft. Nobody’s willing to deal for the Thunder to move into Griffin/Rubio territory. Do you trade Chucky Atkins and Earl Watson (ESPN Trade Machine says YES!) but they’re going to want more) plus your first round pick for Rip Hamilton? Basically, you’re trading James Harden/Hasheem Thabeet/Demar DeRozen for Hamilton and his five-year, $11M contract. Is that a worthy trade? Obviously, Sam Presti was willing to take on Tyson Chandler’s $11M per, so taking on Rip’s wouldn’t hurt him that much. The only thing is that the move feels a little out of character for Presti. It’s not that slow, patient, well-executed, well-conceived deal that’s “all part of the plan.” It’s a bit more abrupt, more aggressive and more bold. I don’t know if that’s like him. It’s sort of high risk, high reward instead of low risk, high reward.

Maybe I’m setting the price too high and the Thunder could trade their late first rounder or maybe even next year’s unprotected No. 1. Maybe. I don’t know how Joe Dumars is thinking. I do know he’s trying to dump salary for 2010. And Chucky Atkins and Earl Watson have expiring contracts… But I’d assume he’d ask for this year’s top pick. If not, then bully for us.

This trade definitely intrigues me. This draft is short on big men, so a trade like this might be the only way to get one — unless B.J. Mullens falls to 15.

??? for Chris Paul

Drew Sharp of the Detroit Free Press writes Detroit could be in position to get Chris Paul. He doesn’t give any specifics on players, but the numbers seem to work out.

Paul is the game’s best point guard. He has a four-year, $63.6-million contract extension kicking in next season that the Hornets cannot afford unless they part with most of his high-priced supporting cast — center Tyson Chandler, perimeter bomber Peja Stojakovic, power forward David West and valuable sixth man James Posey.

This is a pipe dream. It’s that supporting cast that’s much more likely to get moved.

• May 4, 200911:17 pm
    by brgulker

At his ceiling, Thabeet will be as good a defender and rebounder as Dwight Howard.

But, he has no offense whatsoever, and I think it’s more likely than not that he won’t develop much on that side of the ball.

Yeah, he hasn’t been playing that long. But, he’s also a bit on the older side.

This idea would be one step short of desperation, if you ask me, because Thabeet isn’t much more than a ? on so many levels.

• [...] Piston Powered takes a look at my proposed Rip Hamilton deal: “This trade definitely intrigues me. This draft is short on big men, so a trade like this might be the only way to get one – unless B.J. Mullens falls to 15. As I’ve said with the Billups trade: better a year too early than a year too late. Hamilton has value now, but will he next offseason? I believe the Thunder have the cap room to take back Hamilton without Detroit having to take Atkins or Watkins. So, that’s a plus for the Pistons.” [...]

• May 8, 20099:08 am
    by James Parker

Piston Nation! I know that everyone is upset and offering all kinds of remedies, but lets calm down and let at this thing on a more senisble level. First off lets understand that the pistons have the best v.p. in basketball in Joe Mo the Pro, Mr. Joe Dumars and with that everyone true piston fan should be at ease. But lets explain a couple of trade scenairos that have been tossed around. Let me say that it would make no sense for Dumars to go after Chris Paul because that would mean that the Billups for Iverson trade made no sense. Stuckey is and will be the piston’s point guard. Remember that was the reason for Billups being traded in the first place. You saw the growing pains first hand this year and you will see them for two or three more years, but with pain comes great success. Billups wasn’t a good point guard when he first started so give my man Stuckey some time. Also remember we have the 15th pick in this years draft, and three picks in the upper second round. As far as acquiring a big free agent, the only person I see that will HELP the pistons would be Ben Gordon or Carlos Boozer. Gordon makes sense to me because he can put up points when it matters. Seriously pistion fans don’t be so impatient success takes time. We are just spoiled rotten with us winning every year for a couple of years we will now have to be satified with us just contending for a playoff spot.

• May 10, 200911:35 am
      by Matt

best gm in the draft! you must be kidding. mateen cleaves, darko milicic, rodney white, walter sharpe, no meaningful 2nd round picks. one of the worst trades in the history of nba this year with iverson/billupstrade. (i know its only for cap room right? still they almost missed the playoffs, one year after challenging for the title!) and you hire this bum coach who is clearly way over his head. he made some good moves early on but since then joe d has done absolutley nothing.

• May 12, 20091:24 pm
        by Dan Feldman

Dumars has also drafted Tayshaun Prince, Mehmet Okur (second round), Rodney Stuckey and Jason Maxiell. And don’t forget, most of these are lower picks because the Pistons have had such good records.

• May 8, 200911:32 pm
    by Dan Feldman

I think Thabeet’s offense is a little underrated. He has plenty of room to go, but he can score a bit.

And getting Paul (extremely unlikely) wouldn’t mean the Billups-Iverson trade didn’t work. Without the trade, Detroit wouldn’t have the flexibility to go after Paul. And the trade gave the Pistons a chance to showcase Stuckey, who would obviously have to be included in a deal for Paul.

• May 9, 20091:40 pm
    by steven peters

look right they need to get away from shed and get a new big man in there and keep rip and fuck AI he is a shit player now he just doesnt work good with us so what i am sayin is KEEP RIP dont trade your best player we did that once we should learn from our fuck ups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• May 12, 20091:27 pm
    by Dan Feldman

Steven,

The Pistons let their best player (Ben Wallace) leave before, and that worked out OK. I’d lean toward keeping Rip, but if there’s a good offer out there, I wouldn’t hesitate to trade him.

• Jun 4, 200911:12 am
    by AndrewBoldman

Great post! Just wanted to let you know you have a new subscriber- me!